SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Someone just posted om facebook, that om Shanghai everything is back to normal.
Even as naive as i am, i highly doubt it.
Wish people could be more careful with what they share online.

justboy68

Depends what you mean by back to normal. We have 20 active cases total here and yes they've just reopened things like parks and most public areas. Shops etc open too. Majority still working from home though.

Edit: I think people need to remember that China is a huge country and the shutdown outside of Hubei province was quite effective. Most European countries now are facing a much bigger crisis than the areas of China away from Hubei.

Last edited:

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Depends what you mean by back to normal. We have 20 active cases total here and yes they've just reopened things like parks and most public areas. Shops etc open too. Majority still working from home though.
Just heard on radio that there are fewer deaths, down to single digits, so maybe there's hope afterall.

justboy68

Just heard on radio that there are fewer deaths, down to single digits, so maybe there's hope afterall.
Social distancing is proven to be effective. I guess the question is just how long can we sustain it and will the outbreak come back in a big way again once the measures are relaxed. I guess we will see what happens here in China in a month or two.

Fener1907

Where I live, if/when it hits, this will do ridiculous damage, many families have 5-6-7 kids with other family members living them, entire neighborhood with people living in close proximites, we have a very exposed population. Every year there is malaria killing hundreds of people and this year on top of it, there has been the chikungunya infectious disease too which also personally hit me (with malaria at the same time!) and put me to bed for an entire month.
We really could do without this corona fecking shit.
It appears that the outlook for children looks much better than it does for the ageing population. According to the CDC:

Limited reports of children with COVID-19 in China have described cold-like symptoms, such as fever, runny nose, and cough. Gastrointestinal symptoms (vomiting and diarrhea) have been reported in at least one child with COVID-19. These limited reports suggest that children with confirmed COVID-19 have generally presented with mild symptoms, and though severe complications (acute respiratory distress syndrome, septic shock) have been reported, they appear to be uncommon.
It should also be noted that, as is the case with all age groups, children with underlying health conditions are still at greater risk.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It appears that the outlook for children looks much better than it does for the ageing population. According to the CDC:

It should also be noted that, as is the case with all age groups, children with underlying health conditions are still at greater risk.
Yes but those children can contaminate older people, their family relatives etc etc...

Smores

Social distancing is proven to be effective. I guess the question is just how long can we sustain it and will the outbreak come back in a big way again once the measures are relaxed. I guess we will see what happens here in China in a month or two.
Well for it not to come back you'd have to have no infected and susceptible person (i.e. no antibodies) meet. Seems very unlikely even if you kept Hubei locked up indefinitely.

It's surely with us now and not going to disappear until we've built resistance.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Reading more about how our governments are trying to handle the situation (as in moving slower on measures like school closures than some people want), it seems the trick of what they're trying to do is in flattening the curve rather than delaying the peak. In other words timing and staggering various measures so that the healthcare service isn't suddenly overwhelmed when some are relaxed. A tricky balancing act to pull off.

Skills

Snitch
I think China will keep Hubei in lockdown until the numbers are in double digits. Then they'll still keep the province itself locked up for travel in and out of it, and they'll ban travel in and out of the country to the Europe/Iran/Korea etc. Basically, they'll show us, exactly what we should've done when the numbers were manegeable.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its a massive country and the distance between Shanghai and Wuhan is probably the same as between an effected European country like Italy and elsewhere where there are fewer cases.

Hammerfell

Had to get the bus in to work this morning and the number of people coughing and spluttering put me right on edge.

My parents have decided to follow the Italian model a couple of weeks ahead of time and have effectively locked themselves down, no more going out unless absolutely necessary. Both are old and both survived cancer in the last couple of years. I'd probably recommend anybody who fits that profile starts doing the same.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
My parents have decided to follow the Italian model a couple of weeks ahead of time and have effectively locked themselves down, no more going out unless absolutely necessary. Both are old and both survived cancer in the last couple of years. I'd probably recommend anybody who fits that profile starts doing the same.
To a degree, I think people in the UK may have already started to too. I've just been to the supermarket and it was almost deserted this morning. Hand Gel non existent.

Hammerfell

To a degree, I think people in the UK may have already started to too. I've just been to the supermarket and it was almost deserted this morning. Hand Gel non existent.
Please tell me you’ve stopped that disgusting habit of yours.

izec

Had to get the bus in to work this morning and the number of people coughing and spluttering put me right on edge.
Took the train at 8am to the dentist, people are disgusting. The train was packed. If someone had it, it would spread like crazy. So many people standing and sitting close to each other, coughing, touching and sneezing around. There is no way to not get it if it stays in the air.

Was talking to a university friend of mine during the ride, who seems like a complete lunatic in this matter and is playing it down. 'Only a flu' and 'i will survive anyway'.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
China can get away with being Draconian and sealing people in their homes because they're essentially an autocracy.

Britain could *possibly* get away with that, because in the main - people are quite law abiding and tend not to make too much of a fuss where authority is concerned.

...but try that shit in the USA, and gun owners will start a civil war.
I think maybe the key word is 'guns'...

Skåre Willoch

Working from home indefinitely, football is canceled indefinitely, thursday night pub quiz cancelled, the gyms are closed, events at almost every venue is cancelled.
Luckily the woods are still open, so I can do something. Netflix and wanking is only fun for so long.

I think it's crazy kindergartens, schools, etc, aren't closed yet. The Norwegian government seems totally paralyzed.

acnumber9

I have actually, I'm retired.

Aside from that, if it is feasible to work from home then put that forward. Get together, don't you have a union, or at least workplace representatives? If not go to your boss personally and put forward the reasons for doing so, and the advantages. What's stopping you?
We do work from home on occasion. We’re all used to doing it which is what makes it more ridiculous that it wasn’t implemented for every day. What they’re basically waiting for is somebody in the office to get it and then do it. Our union can’t negotiate shit and can’t do anything without a ballot beforehand anyway.

It’s been put to our bosses but our bosses have bosses and they don’t really give a shit about what we think. They also think it’s a good idea for us to hot desk every day because they deliberately built an office with not enough desks for everyone. People were sent home to self isolate on Monday because they may have come in contact with somebody who has it. They wouldn’t tell people who they sent home and anyone could’ve sat at the desk they had just been sitting at. That’s what our Government are doing.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Maybe, maybe not, but the point stands you can’t just employ the most draconian methods immediately as they come with severe costs and knock on effects. COVID-19 is still just a tiny minority of what is being treated and managed in the UK health and social care economy, without even broaching the subject of wider determinants of health and the manifestations that occur from the loss of work/income etc.
It’s fine, they have an extra £350m per week

Smores

If i hear one more minister say "following the science" just to avoid any explanation :wenger:

If only other countries had thought of following the science.Let's just ignore actual evidence of what's worked in the most hit area.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Some of the bigger private companies in Denmark have started sending people home as well, to follow up on most public employees being told to stay at home.
We initially had one dedicated hospital for corona cases but all hospitals are now taking in patients as far as I know. My little brother is in his first placement (ER, I believe) after graduating from medical school one and a half months ago so he's gonna have his hands full.

Still no confirmed cases in Ethiopia as far as I'm aware.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
We do work from home on occasion. We’re all used to doing it which is what makes it more ridiculous that it wasn’t implemented for every day. What they’re basically waiting for is somebody in the office to get it and then do it. Our union can’t negotiate shit and can’t do anything without a ballot beforehand anyway.

It’s been put to our bosses but our bosses have bosses and they don’t really give a shit about what we think. They also think it’s a good idea for us to hot desk every day because they deliberately built an office with not enough desks for everyone. People were sent home to self isolate on Monday because they may have come in contact with somebody who has it. They wouldn’t tell people who they sent home and anyone could’ve sat at the desk they had just been sitting at. That’s what our Government are doing.
I had forgotten how shit work is, sorry about that. Keep plugging away and best of luck.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
From the BBC live feed:
Officials in China have declared that the peak of the country's outbreak is officially over.

Mi Feng, a spokesman for China's National Health Commission, said "the increase of new cases is falling".

There were just 15 new cases logged across the whole of China on Thursday, and Hubei province - the epicentre of the virus - logged just eight new infections. This is the first time the province has recorded a daily tally of fewer than 10 new cases.

Over the last seven days, the progress of coronavirus in the country has slowed markedly. China has been enforcing strict measures on traffic and the movement of people in an attempt to stem the spread, including effectively putting Wuhan on lockdown.
Pretty remarkable effort by China. Also, suggests that mass lockdown/quarantine can be effective so hopefully Italy sees a similar decrease.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Great from China but it seems like it's just a matter of time before it breaks out again. I'm sceptical about drinking the champagne just yet.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Great from China but it seems like it's just a matter of time before it breaks out again. I'm sceptical about drinking the champagne just yet.
I think they know that. They're just planning to have to continually squash outbreaks and buy time until a vaccine or treatment is developed.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I agree, they hævd to maintain these measures until the virus passes and enough people are free of it. At least now they can treat the people with the virus and manage the numbers.

Skills

Snitch
I think the biggest risk for them will be transmitions from Europe. But they'll be sensible enough to do what Europe didn't do - ban all travel from Europe into China.

Bosws87

Nah they will introduce or maintain protocol of international arrivals having to quarantine for 14 days before being let in. China will see this done and dusted within a month.