SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It’s irritating me lots. I’ve come to the conclusion that a high percentage of the human population are just ignorant dumb fecks! Anyone going into a bar etc or still considering going on holidays needs their fecking heads read because I think their brain is probably infected

We have friends who booked a cruise very recently and fully intended to go anyway despite everything with their sound logic that it’s better to be quarantined of the coast of Mexico than in Ireland. Thankfully the cruise is cancelled but now they are trying to organize a big party end of the month. They are intelligent people in professional jobs but literally have either no common sense or a feck it attitude. Stupid!

My mother in law in the Uk who is in her 70s is still organizing and meeting up with her friends in London, including a couple who have had heart problems and diabetes. My father in law who is 81 is still going to the pub on less busy nights. He yesterday met up with a stranger to sell a car, no doubt did an old school handshake. They literally are incapable of staying indoors

This will drag on for longer because of people like them all over the UK and Ireland
Yea the only thing i can conclude is that the vast majority of people are dumb.

I was trying to tell my own parents own are renovating their house just to hold off for a month at the least and see if things get better. No, business as usual.

Irish Independent saying today that they expect 50,000 people to be critical in the next two weeks in Ireland. And we only have about 300 ICU beds.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

The only correct thing to do is an immediate shut-down of public life for a few weeks.
I am glad that our politicians in Austria got this right.
Too late maybe but at least they now took the respective decisions.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
But people seem to be contracting it again after having had it once, so unless somebody has a vaccine I’m not aware of then any talk of herd immunity being “inevitable” as you put it is very ostrich like.
This is what I am struggling with, the UK government must know something we don’t?

Fooza

Should they be at home social distancing 1.5 metres apart?
That's not the point, the point is by saying they need to social distance at school and be 1.5 metres goes to show are they are so out of touch of reality, that's simply never going to happen in schools, so why bother saying it.

I don't want to get into the whole discussion of whether schools close or not - just that MP's don't say utter nonsense.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Re: herd immunity. As the models shown on the Washington Times indicate, herd immunity is a by product of whatever measures we take:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Large amounts of the population are going to get infected and once they have recovered, the virus will find it more difficult to find new hosts. That’s inevitable at this point. No major Western Europe country is not going to experience this phenomenon.

That doesn’t mean doing nothing and just waiting for herd immunity is optimum, and the UK is absolutely not doing that.

Classical Mechanic

Almost amusing given your repetitive “they’re not going for herd immunity” nonsense when the government are repeatedly saying they are.

However the main point remains that we don’t know if immunity is achievable so trying to rely on it is monumentally stupid.
Every country is going for herd immunity.

This is one of the architects of the UK strategy on how it is being misrepresented.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Depends who is doing the dying.
Old people have stopped contributing to the economy through taxes and probably cost the state more than they now contribute. However, older people typically tend to vote Conservative. Its a really risky strategy, if it goes wrong the Tories will need to make people forget they let the old die.

Dante

Average bang
The coronavirus has pushed us into a swimming pool.

Other nations are trying to stop the water from getting all their clothes wet. The UK has accepted that the water will get through and is focusing on how it will swim to other side in order to get out.

If we try to get out straight away, we'll keep getting pushed back in.

Last edited:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Almost amusing given your repetitive “they’re not going for herd immunity” nonsense when the government are repeatedly saying they are.

However the main point remains that we don’t know if immunity is achievable so trying to rely on it is monumentally stupid.
They're not so much relying on it as treating ubiquitous contagion as a given. If that confers immunity for some period of time so much the better. Since it's perceived as inevitable they see themselves as having little choice in the matter whether it confers immunity or not. The only thing left to do is smooth the path as best they can.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Asda and Costco at Trafford Centre is bizarre. Massive queues out of car park, but car parks empty. Supermarket seems pretty well stocked on whole, so it seems people are driving round in search for the goods that there have been a run on.

We’re just here for newborn clothes and supplies in case lockdown happens in the next few weeks or their supply chain breaks.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
My mother is pretty blase about this whole thing. She doesn't really seem to care if she succumbs.
Neither does my and my mum is 51 in a couple of weeks. She's so flippant about it, I find very annoying. She's not taking this seriously. At all.

Classical Mechanic

Since I have seen people mention France several times, the approach(at least in Occitanie) may be questioned but it makes sense. Basically, the ER and virologist decided that at this point due to the lack of specific symptoms, it was best to focus on people at risk and people with severe symptoms instead of spreading themselves and widely test people in conditions that could actually spread the contagion, people with mild symptoms of cold or maybe Coronavirus should stay at home and show common sense, they are supposed to call the 15 and a doctor will do a remote consultation, while hospitals and virologist try to find a cure and take care of severe cases. The goal is basically to slowdown the spread and give themselves time to deal with the influx of patients and research.

It's clearly not a perfect plan but it makes sense.
Which is broadly in line with what the UK has been doing. Weird of Macron to hold the elections though given where you're at. They'll probably be as good as illegitimate because many won't turn out.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
UK car manufacturers and weapons suppliers are to be told to change their manufacturing to produce ventilators.

Simple. Why didn't we think of that before....
It should only take a few years before they start producing them.

Honestly. Car manufacturers are used to producing parts by the hundreds of thousands or millions.

How many ventilators will be needed.
Remember. If you need a ventilator, you will need a bed in a hospital.

Of course. That is where Boris promise of 40 new hospitals will happen.

at least this virus is forcing him into keeping that promise....hopefully

Dante

Average bang
That's not the point, the point is by saying they need to social distance at school and be 1.5 metres goes to show are they are so out of touch of reality, that's simply never going to happen in schools, so why bother saying it.

I don't want to get into the whole discussion of whether schools close or not - just that MP's don't say utter nonsense.
So they should shut schools and stay at home with parents, who need to stop working to look after them. Or with grandparents if the parents can't leave work.

75-80% of infections in China was spread in the home rather than at schools or public places (they know this through contact tracing).

The containment phase is over. The virus is already out there and the chances are that you will get it. The current phase is 'Delay', which means minimising the situations in which the virus spreads most quickly. Statistically, that's in the home. Schools are relatively safe by comparison.

Classical Mechanic

Old people have stopped contributing to the economy through taxes and probably cost the state more than they now contribute. However, older people typically tend to vote Conservative. Its a really risky strategy, if it goes wrong the Tories will need to make people forget they let the old die.
Indeed. The idea that the Tories are going to let the vulnerable die just doesn't hold up to any scrutiny because it's their base that is most at risk.

AaronRedDevil

Neither does my and my mum is 51 in a couple of weeks. She's so flippant about it, I find very annoying. She's not taking this seriously. At all.
Nothing worse when you LARPing and shes just over in the corner laughing her ass off when your wearing a mask trying not to die :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Which is broadly in line with what the UK has been doing. Weird of Macron to hold the elections though given where you're at. They'll probably be as good as illegitimate because many won't turn out.
With the small difference that the herd immunity part isn't in the equation because it's not a thing at the moment, the virus is allegedly evolving and it may not be the exact same strain that is circulating in different parts of Europe and Asia. Regarding the elections it's a bit weird indeed particularly when in my opinion they are not essential, we could delay them.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

I've told her that you might not care about dying but if you get sick and I have to take you to hospital then you might take a bed from somebody who does care about dying.

oh and I'm 50 ya cnut!

dove

So they should shut schools and stay at home with parents, who need to stop working to look after them. Or with grandparents if the parents can't leave work.
I hear this line constantly and now I am genuinely curious, do all people in UK who have children stop working when schools close for holidays? Why is it that UK is the only country in the universe that can't cope with school closure for a few weeks? I don't want to hear anything about corona etc., I am just curious why is this issue is quite specific to UK only.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

75-80% of infections in China was spread in the home rather than at schools or public places (they know this through contact tracing).

The containment phase is over. The virus is already out there and the chances are that you will get it. The current phase is 'Delay', which means minimising the situations in which the virus spreads most quickly. Statistically, that's in the home. Schools are relatively safe by comparison.
Do you know how many cases there were in Wuhan before they began the lockdown? That might go some way to explaining those figures.

Fooza

That's going to happen regardless, it's just matter of when. With Scotland and NI saying they are going to shut schools for 13-16 weeks when it does happen, but okay.

But again, I'll say again I don't want to go in the whole whether schools should be closed or open. That's already been decided and it's pointless discussion now - if you're pro-immunity herd or pro-quarantine like most European counties.

I said - to advice schools that students should social distance within schools of 1.5 metres is the most ludicrous thing to say and it will never happen. That to me shows the MP is so of touch of reality.

JPRouve

Scout
I've told her that you might not care about dying but if you get sick and I have to take you to hospital then you might take a bed from somebody who does care about dying.

oh and I'm 50 ya cnut!
Stay at home, we don't want to miss you.:(

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Indeed. The idea that the Tories are going to let the vulnerable die just doesn't hold up to any scrutiny because it's their base that is most at risk.
It's not that they are going to let them die but they won't control over the situation if many old people get infected.

Maybe the tory strategy is the optimal strategy but it's so dependent on things going the way they need them to.

Dante

Average bang
I hear this line constantly and now I am genuinely curious, do all people in UK who have children stop working when schools close for holidays? Why is it that UK is the only country in the universe that can't cope with school closure for a few weeks? I don't want to hear anything about corona etc., I am just curious why is this issue is quite specific to UK only.
They either pass their kids on to grandparents or send them to clubs where they congregate with other kids. Either option would defeat the purpose of closing schools to slow down spread.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I suspect more 1 week and the situation in Portugal will become critical. 2 weeks on the same trend will be chaos.

Classical Mechanic

Others countries are trying to limit the spread. The UK is not.
That's not true at all. The UK is trying to limit the spread, it just doesn't favour measures with limited efficacy that have great social and economic consequences. 75-80% of infections in China are thought to have been transmitted in the home. You want to keep schools open as long as possible because disrupting pupils doing exams can have serious consequences for their future development and prospects, for example. I'd recommend watching this documentary on iplayer

Their study found that washing hands 5 - 10 more times a day can reduce overall spread significantly and slow it significantly too. Measures like that and social distances are going to be far more effective than closing schools etc.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Infections are going to sky rocket in Ireland over the next two weeks. Then what happened in Italy will happen in Ireland. Might even have to shut the border with NI if that is possible.

Doesnt help when loads of people are seeing singing and dancing in pubs last night. They are too dumb to realize what is coming.

Key difference between the two countries:

Fooza

This question needs to be answered and explained, it makes no sense to stop testing the public and only test those who are in hospital, how will they get accurate data/numbers.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
This question needs to be answered and explained, it makes no sense to stop testing the public and only test those who are in hospital, how will they get accurate data/numbers.
I think the answer is simply that we don't have the capacity. It's the biggest failure that's been highlighted in all this.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
One could argue that given the government's plan would involve more cases prior to the peak period than other plans do, it might suit them not to have a high degree of testing. Or maybe that's just needless cynicism on my part.

JPRouve

Scout
The goal is to treat people that absolutely need it, not get accurate data/numbers. In most countries If you start wide testing, you spread the means when the vast majority of people don't need any medical attention.