SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Some twats being Professor Patrick Vallance, with a history of academic and industrial experience. Remind us what your experience is?
Sorry, can you remind me the last time this professor handled a pandemic? The very professor who couldn't see this coming.

Drawfull

A carvery? Not quite kid. Call it what you want ‘selfish’ ‘moronic’ ‘idiotic’ ... life HAS to continue. As I’ve said numerous times, when I’m told to stay at home and do so for an amount of time I will. I have no qualms at all about that. That time isn’t now
He's right. You're an idiot. I don't need to be told by a government that the shit is hitting the fan and make changes to my life in advance of official advice. No intelligent people do (apart from my parents, who are also fecking wealthy since that seems important to you) that are now stuck on a fecking boat in Brazil with a cruise line that doesn't seem to give a serious feck. They're fecking idiots too, but they realise that now.

Sorry, can you remind me the last time this professor handled a pandemic? The very professor who couldn't see this coming.
Can you remind me of your scientific knowledge on this? Your expertise DMA?

Because Sweden is absolutely backing up the UK on this and following a rather similar strategy, so are we stupid fecks here too because you know better?

Conor

A carvery? Not quite kid. Call it what you want ‘selfish’ ‘moronic’ ‘idiotic’ ... life HAS to continue. As I’ve said numerous times, when I’m told to stay at home and do so for an amount of time I will. I have no qualms at all about that. That time isn’t now
So if a couple of 70+ people died in a month or so, and it could be directly traced back to you having gotten it in a pub, and spread it around your school, you'd say "Ah well, I had to get on with my life didn't I?"?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The worst thing about this so far is the sheer amount of fecking imbeciles who think they know better than the UK scientific experts.

They are basing their response on sound science. Here in Sweden we are following quite a similar strategy. Both countries will shut down everything when the model hits that stage. Now if you don't like their science you better be a fecking expert yourself, else shut the feck up, you aren't helping one bit.

Repeating bullshit that they are going for herd immunity and risking lives despite multiple denials of this and confirmation that herd immunity is seen as an inevitable by-product only.

Put simply, there are different strategies at play here, by all countries, all of them are aimed at reducing the death rate. Some countries (Denmark, USA) have made decisions against the advice of their scientists and by all means, slate those to your hearts content if you have sound reason for it. But a layman on redcafe, reddit or fecking Facebook slating the UK's scientific response is idiocy of the highest order. You don't know better, I don't know better.
More than medical experts I prefer to rely on models that worked (backed by their experts too) and China had been able to stop it apparently. Why risk it with so many unknowns unknowns, risk of mutation and high death rate expected? So till another country is more succesful than China (and probably Japan, Thailand, Sourth Korea) is completely fair than another procedure seems bonker to the you called layman. Because you don't need expertise to have common sense

Italy's cases per 1M pop are twice as high as anyone else, why is that? And what makes you think other countries will catch up, as if they are suddenly the new global standard.
Italy had it's outbreak first, simply put. The virus was circulating for ~3 weeks before it was caught. Assuming an average increase of 50% per day, by the time it was discovered it had already infected 5,000 people. Looking back now at the numbers, and knowing it takes up to 2 weeks for symptoms to show, that's pretty spot on. Italy broke 5,000 cases 16 days after the first detection

BBC: Bath half marathon goes ahead despite Coronavirus fears

Full BBC story here.

FFS

What a good idea! Pack 6000 people together and make them all do something to suppress their immune systems.

Carolina Red

Staff
It's coming their way, they'll see soon enough. I think it's going to be very hard to impose severe restrictions on people's freedom of movement in many parts of the USA, as they'll simply refuse to comply because of "my rights".
Oh yes. These idiots are bound and determined to defy the rules.

Have you seen anything exaggerating the situation in the US from the Italian media?

UncleBob

The worst thing about this so far is the sheer amount of fecking imbeciles who think they know better than the UK scientific experts.

They are basing their response on sound science. Here in Sweden we are following quite a similar strategy. Both countries will shut down everything when the model hits that stage. Now if you don't like their science you better be a fecking expert yourself, else shut the feck up, you aren't helping one bit.

Repeating bullshit that they are going for herd immunity and risking lives despite multiple denials of this and confirmation that herd immunity is seen as an inevitable by-product only.

Put simply, there are different strategies at play here, by all countries, all of them are aimed at reducing the death rate. Some countries (Denmark, USA) have made decisions against the advice of their scientists and by all means, slate those to your hearts content if you have sound reason for it. But a layman on redcafe, reddit or fecking Facebook slating the UK's scientific response is idiocy of the highest order. You don't know better, I don't know better.
That says it all, really.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

The whole thing also starts leading to disputes. My wife‘s father had spent last weekend in one of Austrian‘s hotspots. Had fever a few days later and not told us or anyone. We had quite some discussions before he finally reported himself and has been put into quarantine.
Also had a short chat with friends today and they just don’t see the urgency. Have invited their parents for the standard Sunday afternoon coffee session. Fools.

Smores

You probably could have just limited that post to the last 4 words to be fair.

More than medical experts I prefer to rely on models that worked (backed by their experts too) and China had been able to stop it apparently. Why risk it with so many unknowns unknowns, risk of mutation and high death rate expected? So till another country is more succesful than China (and probably Japan, Thailand, Sourth Korea) is completely fair than another procedure seems bonker to the you called layman. Because you don't need expertise to have common sense
How many people in China died again? 3,199 right @4bars?

UK is currently on 35.

Common sense indeed.

Drawfull

Ive been defending the U.K. strategy and why and giving reason for what I’ve been doing and you come on here with snide little jibes. Not worth the time
You haven't come across like that. in saying that you will wait for official advice before changing behaviour you've come across as an idiot. You've been pulled for your wealthy jibe too as if it matters. See my latest reply to you. We are all fecking stressed, I expect that at least one of my parents will die and that's pretty shit to be honest. You don't need to be going to the bloody pub and name dropping the jobs of the kind of people you associate with as a way to justify idiocy.

You're making a mistake but at the end of the day that is just my opinion having been affected by this first hand. I'd expect the more educated of society to be more rational in these times and that's why I got annoyed with your post. If you're personally offended by my conclusion that you're being an idiot, I am sorry, but that's how it looks to me.

Cheers

justboy68

United58

Thought I'd take a break from watching end of the world virus movies and work my way though Mission Impossible series (I've only seen Fallout before today).

feck you MI:2
4 and 6 have incredible stunts, 3 has a great story.

6 is my favourite action film ever, genuine masterpiece of the genre

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
So if a couple of 70+ people died in a month or so, and it could be directly traced back to you having gotten it in a pub, and spread it around your school, you'd say "Ah well, I had to get on with my life didn't I?"?
Don’t even know where to start with this. I’ve been around 800+ children and adults for the past month, plenty who’ve come back from holidays in Italy and spain. Likelihood is a lot of people have had it, in the school and in the community. How you then trace that back to one person, to suit your agenda is upto you

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Any response to the questions I've asked?
If you really are interested in the answers, you’ll find plenty of good discussion in the 246 pages here so far.

Cards on the table, I have no reason to be biased towards supporting a Tory government. The Home Office under them has bled my wife and I dry in immigration fees for her and stress caused, and left us living apart for a further 10 months after marriage. Let’s not even get on to Windrush and Brexit.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Can you remind me of your scientific knowledge on this? Your expertise DMA?

Because Sweden is absolutely backing up the UK on this and following a rather similar strategy, so are we stupid fecks here too because you know better?
You think the very people who couldn't stop this before it started will stop it after?

I'm no expert. That said, I've mastered in pharmaceuticals with biochem as an undergrad. That said, I don't claim to know better than anyone. What I do claim is that there is actual evidence showing the benefits of lockdowns and social distancing. There is NO evidence that the strategy proposed by your beloved government will work.

Like I said earlier, where were these scientific models months ago? If they're so brilliant at saving lives, why are we losing so many?

The Firestarter

Don’t even know where to start with this. I’ve been around 800+ children and adults for the past month, plenty who’ve come back from holidays in Italy and spain. Likelihood is a lot of people have had it, in the school and in the community. How you then trace that back to one person, to suit your agenda is upto you
Mate it looks like your brain is wired in slightly different way than the (significant) rest of us here.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I
Well there was the ‘super spreader’ in wales who apparently accidentally infected 100’s.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Starkie_1 - "me and my friends are rich and clever, unlike all you toilet paper hoarding hermits"

Also Starkie_1 - claims he's doing everything to reduce the risk of infecting kids.

Everyone else - points out that he's not practicing social distancing.

Starkie_1 again - "omg you sheep why are you resorting to personal insults"
Listen right, Starkie_1 has affluent and like minded friends who are taking the right precautions like hanging around together. They don't know any old people and there is no way they could pass it on to people who end up passing it on to others. How could they, they are like minded and affluent?!

Fooza

Woah, calm down there, a lot are just questioning on what is this so called 'science' is that the government are using and urging them to publish their plan so it can be read by the public. It also doesn't help that an open letter was sent from 300 scientist claiming that immunity herd isn't the best way. So if all these scientist are arguing against each other - it's going to cause a lot of people great confusion and question the risks - it's only a normal reaction.

I think the criticisms are justified because the government are just asking the public to trust them, putting 'trust' on a policy is simply not good enough. The UK's health secretary only today in an interview said they will publish the plan and science behind it within the next few days, it should really have have been published awhile ago.

Another fair criticism is the decisions that are being made from the government is coming through journalists, not actual government officials. This is causing a lot of anxiety because again, the communication needs to be open with regular press conferences from official people, not reading headlines like "the government is to put over 70's in lock down in the upcoming weeks" without any dates, or any exact information, and news channels having to ask if this is true or not.

It's all fair criticisms, in my opinion.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Just curious as to whether you self isolate for 14 days whenever you have a seasonal bug or flu, which of course kill thousands every year in the UK?

Rajma

Maybe we trust scientists too? All 400+ of them.

http://maths.qmul.ac.uk/~vnicosia/UK_scientists_statement_on_coronavirus_measures.pdf

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
You haven't come across like that. in saying that you will wait for official advice before changing behaviour you've come across as an idiot. You've been pulled for your wealthy jibe too as if it matters. See my latest reply to you. We are all fecking stressed, I expect that at least one of my parents will die and that's pretty shit to be honest. You don't need to be going to the bloody pub and name dropping the jobs of the kind of people you associate with as a way to justify idiocy.

You're making a mistake but at the end of the day that is just my opinion having been affected by this first hand. I'd expect the more educated of society to be more rational in these times and that's why I got annoyed with your post. If you're personally offended by my conclusion that you're being an idiot, I am sorry, but that's how it looks to me.

Cheers
I’m not sure it’s possible to be personally offended on an internet forum and if you are I think it suggests you need time away from it. All the same I appreciate the apology and offer you mine for coming across the way you’ve interpreted.

The wealthy area comment was meant to be just that, about the area. As with those I was having lunch with (not getting pissed up for the sake of it, a lunch). It was as a reply to someone who claimed I was a killer.

I feel for you regarding your parents, I honestly do. And I hope that doesn’t happen.

Sigma

Thought I'd take a break from watching end of the world virus movies and work my way though Mission Impossible series (I've only seen Fallout before today).

feck you MI:2
4,5 and 6 are very good.

fallengt

Im head of PE at a very large primary school and myself, and my Pe team who are all self employed, plus the 40-50 staff and 800 + children will be in as normal tomorrow and for the foreseeable future. I’ve just actually had a roast and few drinks in a local pubs alongside a lot of the parents. Luckily we live and work in a very affluent and likeminded area, not mass panic. People doing as they’re told and getting on with it whilst getting on with life too.
Guess your vacation in japan is fecking canceled eh? ;) Who would have thought a cough and a cold could spark a mega recession.
Like you said you don't listen to advice on football forum then stop giving your advice, we don't want to hear it either.

Last edited:

0le

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
This thread will be gold by the time we’re all locked down. People losing their minds already and we’re not even out of the starting blocks