SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

fergieisold

I was being tongue in cheek. I wonder how many people like you are going to continue to go out despite the fan being blocked by shit. A question for you, would you go on holiday to northern Italy now? How about Spain? If not, why not?
I wouldn’t travel personally to northern Italy as I doubt I’d be able to with the restrictions. I live in a small village in saddleworth, and for now I’m happy to visit the local pub. That stance may change rapidly though.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Even if we had infinte testing resources I am not sure of the benefit of testing. Let me explain why.

If you are asymptomatic and positive, nothing to do for you.
If you are mildly symptomatic and positive, nothing to do for you.
If you are very sick, you go to hospital and get tested to make sure its this and not something else and get supportive treatment.
Because it's about tracking the virus and preventing spread to others. I'm just on what pretty much every epidemiologist I've read is saying.

Fooza

:lol: the cats, due to wearing the sandals, can't rip the cheese strings and therefore are required to try and pull them apart you see.
But are these cats self-isolating or out there cheese pulling with other cats, can't have that happening.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well, my girlfriend was contacted by the Austrian embassy today asking her to urgently consider returning to Austria as they think the UK will shortly descend into chaos and they can't guarantee they will be able to extract their citizens when that happens.

Fun times.
It’s like the end of the Vietnam war

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The numbers in Iran are pretty shocking. Can anybody tell me why they've been affected so quickly and is it just older people that are making up the numbers? I know Italy has an ageing population but i'm wondering if that's the same for Iran.
From what I remember Iran has an ageing population, relative to the rest of that region. It’s extremely likely that the numbers there are far far worse than the official count.

There seems to have been a few factors driving the extreme situation there. First, the initial outbreak occurred in the pilgrimage city of Qom, a very busy place that draws visitors from all over Iran, and indeed Shi’i Muslims from around the world. Easy to see how it quickly became the epicenter that spread it to the rest of the country. At Shi’i shrines, like at other pilgrimage sites, pilgrims strive to touch and kiss the shrines themselves, surrounded by thousands of their fellow travelers.

Secondly, the government is alleged to have initially suppressed information relating to the outbreak in order to try to secure a high turnout in parliamentary elections, deemed vital for the regime’s credibility in the aftermath of the plane fiasco. As it happened, the elections drew an all-time low turnout, and by the time they had concluded, it was too late.

Thirdly, sanctions have probably impeded the belated attempt to get to grips with the virus. There seems to have been issues getting reliable testing kits and medical facilities from abroad. There was a rumor that the US had offered to help and been turned down, but I’d take it with a grain of salt. Iran does have a good strong relationship with China, so hopefully the Chinese can help skirt the sanctions and help Iran obtain access to what it needs.

Finally, the government is awful - obsessed with its own credibility, paranoid, conspiratorial, and fanatic at times like this. Iran seems to suffer all the drawbacks of an authoritarian regime without enjoying any of the benefits, such as we appear to be seeing in certain East Asian states.

mav_9me

Because it's about tracking the virus and preventing spread to others. I'm just on what pretty much every epidemiologist I've read is saying.
You cant prevent spread now, cats out of the bag. Particularly as increasingly seems apparent asymptomatic people transmit too. Save the tests for the 3rd category, the inpatients who need work up.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Yes, but in 3-4 months we'll have 40m people infected and God knows how many dead. They won't.
I am glad to live in Austria and not somewhere else right now. These circumstances ask for radical solutions and our government tries their best to implement those.
Pretty sure that we are going to have the worst behind us when others are still struggling or going into full melt-down.

golden_blunder

Staff
Would you trust the majority or minority though ? I’m not sure which side is right, you never know the UK could be right but the majority are doing one thing and the UK are doing the opposite we will have to wait and see
I don’t know, which is why I’m applying my own common sense and staying in the fecking house. There are 2 confirmed cases in my local area. People need to stop thinking it’s not going to happen to them

Charlie Foley

Well, my girlfriend was contacted by the Austrian embassy today asking her to urgently consider returning to Austria as they think the UK will shortly descend into chaos and they can't guarantee they will be able to extract their citizens when that happens.

Fun times.
feck

Smores

Even if we had infinte testing resources I am not sure of the benefit of testing. Let me explain why.

If you are very sick, you go to hospital and get tested to make sure its this and not something else and get supportive treatment.
But in the first two scenarios you suddenly know to take extra precautions. You also know that once you're no longer sick you can rejoin the workforce or volunteer.

432JuanMata

I don’t know, which is why I’m applying my own common sense and staying in the fecking house. There are 2 confirmed cases in my local area. People need to stop thinking it’s not going to happen to them
Yeah your being smart. I’m in Ireland work in Tesco for home shopping I have no choice and have to deal with hundreds of people a day so I’m in a bad boat

Woodzy

Mate got back from Austria a couple days ago and now has a fever and cough. He’s looking to get tested, but worrying knowing it could be this close to home.

C'est Moi Cantona

I don't know what to think about this anymore, it is beyond what I though I'd see, but as a healthy, non smoking, not obese, and well under the at risk age, would it not be better to just get it, rather than avoid it, and then hopefully in someway help those who are at more at risk, with this herd thing, and by been able to help those in need knowing I most likely won't infect them.

mav_9me

But in the first two scenarios you suddenly know to take extra precautions. You also know that once you're no longer sick you can rejoin the workforce or volunteer.
Yes but I am talking about management of patient point of view.

I would argue if you are symptomatic you should isolate anyway.
And if you are asymptomatic right now you should be social distancing anyway.

Charlie Foley

It can help those around you thougn

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Got a whatsapp just there saying anyone taking anti inflamatory medication such as difene, neurofen and vimovo should cease taking them. Apparently they exacerabte the virus. Couple of young people with no underlying problems are now in serious condition in hospital.

edit: am i allowed to post that. Apologies if not.
This will soon be clarified on an European level, as that rumour is everywhere.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Rumours circulating that Ireland is heading for a severe lock down next week possibly tuesday or wednesday.

DavidDeSchmikes

Christ, you really hope that's just the worst case scenario rather than the base.
the Guardian said:
Prof Chris Whitty, the government’s chief medical adviser, has previously described that figure as the worst-case scenario and suggested that the real number would turn out to be less than that. However, the briefing makes clear that four in five of the population “are expected” to contract the virus

Sweet Square

I don’t know if things have changed but that tweet was 2.5 days ago which is about a year in the current climate.
My mum came back from Dublin into Heathrow last night and there wasn't any checks.
tweet not playing and now is unavailable
Still plays for me. Anyway it's a guy coming back from Milan showing that there aren't any checks at Heathrow.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don’t know if things have changed but that tweet was 2.5 days ago which is about a year in the current climate.
Just flew back into Stansted and no checks in sight (although I wasn't flying from Milan).

golden_blunder

Staff
Yeah your being smart. I’m in Ireland work in Tesco for home shopping I have no choice and have to deal with hundreds of people a day so I’m in a bad boat
Good luck mate, take all the precautions

I was made redundant in December so im not pushed to go out and thankfully my wife can now work from home. Im dreading the dole queue though, still no word that electronic payments will be made instead of going to pick it up

Revan

Assumptionman
I am glad to live in Austria and not somewhere else right now. These circumstances ask for radical solutions and our government tries their best to implement those.
Pretty sure that we are going to have the worst behind us when others are still struggling or going into full melt-down.
Well, living in China, Japan, South Korea or Singapore would be better (when it comes to Corona). In any case, I think that Austria and Germany are going to be two of the best EU countries at handling the crisis.