SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
They are going on about this test to see who's had it as being important, but surely China has been working on this and still doesn't have it?

Revan

Assumptionman
Why is it the older generation (who's more at risk of this) the one's that are the most obstinate? My old man just isn't having any of it. Not just him, but others I've talked to who are around his age share the same opinion. They actively get angry by any mention of it. It's fecking bizarre.
In Italy, the vast majority of people who are getting fines for breaking the lockout orders, seem to be the elderly. Like having a death wish or something.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Tbf he called it.

UK schools are shutting but children of key workers will still go in and schools expected to cater for them.

Good idea I think and helps with the childcare issue.
Children of key workers I assume means essential public services and civil servants ect? So the key workers and their children will become a melting pot for infections. Perfect.

Classical Mechanic

Why is it the older generation (who's more at risk of this) the one's that are the most obstinate? My old man just isn't having any of it. Not just him, but others I've talked to who are around his age share the same opinion. They actively get angry by any mention of it. It's fecking bizarre.
Probably don't want to psychologically face the prospect that they're in a high risk group of dying from this. If they look at what's happening in Italy with their health service being swamped, its pretty fecking grim.

My dad seems to have accepted that he's pretty high risk thankfully, 67 with type 2 diabetes, hypertension and other heart problems in the past.

Drawfull

I am wondering whether the government had a roadmap for big announcements spaced out each day this week, so there were clear headline messages each day. or whether this situation is moving so quick that they just keep coming?

Monday) Social distancing and isolation
Tuesday) Business
Wednesday) Children & education
Thursday) ?
Friday) ?

Edit: The PM Boris Johnson and the Education Secretary making speeches at the same time. Sort it out lads, we want to hear from you both.
It's because the Speaker complained yesterday that the public knew before the MPs. Wankers.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Probably don't want to psychologically face the prospect that they're in a high risk group of dying from this. If they look at what's happening in Italy with their health service being swamped, its pretty fecking grim.

My dad seems to have accepted that he's pretty high risk thankfully, 67 with type 2 diabetes, hypertension and other heart problems in the past.
That was my thinking. There's almost a kind of insecurity about it. Only thing i can think of that would explain such a cavalier attitude.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
China's deaths won't even reach 4k (unless the virus comes back later), Italy's are easily going to reach 6k (in best case scenario we can assume that they are at the peak, so they are at around half of the deaths). Of course, they are not at the peak there, there was a large increase from yesterday in the number of new cases, so they are going to have 10k deaths even with the total lockdown.

And I am contemplating going there right now.
To Italy, why?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Seen those army pictures. A friend says its happening and hes normally well informed. From what I've heard, London in lockdown soon.

432JuanMata

So why have so many older people picked up the illness?
Well they have 31000 cases so I’d say there is loads of people younger with it and a lot of younger people will just go home and isolate which won’t be recorded.
Also Italy has the oldest population in Europe by some distance

Josep Dowling

The journalists actually feck me off. They ask such stupid questions. No one knows when this blows over. Government decisions are being made based on stopping this virus spreading. Why ask when school will open, about exams etc. Ask them where are the testing kits, how are we tackling the disease. It’s not exactly difficult.

JP77

I just want them to finally offer a proper answer on how they can expect somebody to survive alone or support a family on 95 quid a week if they have to come out of work to either self isolate or to now look after their children now the schools are closed.

You can't announce that schools are closing and that most average people staying off work are expected to receive SSP and survive on that absolute joke amount. I get it's a horrendous situation but at this stage they surely have to support the average person that cannot go into work properly.

There's obviously going to be people that would take advantage of it even if there's nothing wrong with them but at this stage of how crazy things currently are, they surely have to make huge changes for the workers. Not just that but where I'm working we can barely cope with the current orders coming through, it's absolute madness.

NinjaFletch

The defensiveness nature of every speech and starting with why you were right all along does not help with trust.

The layman knew school closures would be necessary. Just make the announcements and stop trying to save face.
I'll say it everyday I see him, but Patrick Vallence looks shifty and snivelling. I wouldn't trust him to change a lightbulb.

Classical Mechanic

I just want them to finally offer a proper answer on how they can expect somebody to survive alone or support a family on 95 quid a week if they have to come out of work to either self isolate or to now look after their children now the schools are closed.
Apparently the measures for workers will be announced tomorrow.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The journalists actually feck me off. They ask such stupid questions. No one knows when this blows over. Government decisions are being made based on stopping this virus spreading. Why ask when school will open, about exams etc. Ask them where are the testing kits, how are we tackling the disease. It’s not exactly difficult.
Yeah, focus on what's actually happening right now instead of trying to make the future seem predetermined.

Utdstar01

Always going to be an uphill battle from here. Government have fecked it by not acting earlier and proceeding with this 'herd immunity bollocks. Has he mentioned anything about London?

0le

Here you go guys:

UK Priminister update:
- self isolation advice is the same (7 days if by yourself/ 14 days if have family)
- restates that the aim to hit 25k tests / day
- restates that schools will close (this Friday will be the last day) for most students
- Schools (as well as nurseries and private schools) to still provide provisions for vulnerable children and NHS workers.
- exams will not take place in May/June
- Q&A's- When will we see wider enforcement to shutdown London? - Response: Right measures at right time + everything under continuous review and not hesistate to bring further measures if necessary.
- Q&A's - in response to antibody test? - not there yet, dont get ahead of ourselves, but could be a game changer.
- Q&A's - school closure length? - Try to keep it to minimum. Restates reasons why school closure has happened.
- Q&A's - exam closures/ uni placements etc? - Government will make sure childrens progress is not impeded. No more details given right now.
- Q&A's - how to take new tests (existing test not antibody test) if/when they are available - defers to patrick
- Q&A's - something about emergency legislation/funding - talks about chancellors message yesterday to support businesses directly and small businesses. Government will continue to look at steps necessary to support companies. "Whatever it takes".
- Q&A's - laid off workers (e.g. gyms, pub workers etc) what about rent? - The government bringing forward legislation to protect people who face difficulties. Government will provide protection.
- Q&A's - closing schools is it mandatory and what happens to school already closed reopening for vulnerable kids/ keyworkers etc - government will enforce closures. Work to ensure, where necessary, schools can reopen to provide these. Only a minority of pupils who will be continuously looked after by schools. Not every school is providing service for keyworkers/ vulnerable kids. On Monday, vulnerable kids or children of keyworkers (NHS staff etc) should go to school Monday next week.
- Q&A's - Brexit? -
Nothing being discussed about this. "Legislation in place that I have no intention of changing".
- Q&A's - Legal restrictions on travel (London and abroad)? - "We will rule nothing out", may bring forward further measures where necessary.
- Q&A's - does model take into account people who do not listen to advice? - People should take their own decisions but in "asolutely no doubt these are important choices in daily lives"...reaffirms that we need to listen to advice to protect our NHS and have fewer deaths. "Very clear choice...strong strong advice". "We do not rule out taking further and faster measures in due course".

Patrick Vallance:
- states that some behavioural changes observed
- outlines reasons for chool closure - talking about "right time"
- Q&A's - in response to antibody test? - progressing very fast, Public Health (body) got a test and looking at ways to get a widespread version of this test out - no information on this anywhere in the world. This new test will help to monitor the diesease.
- Q&A's - school closure length? - School closures is about making sure we reduce transmission for EVERYONE. Not much information about how much is spreads in children. Not a measure because of specific risk to children.
- Q&A's - how to take new tests (existing test not antibody test) if/when they are available? - ICU patients + outbreaks in certain areas for tests + categories may change .
- Q&A's - does model take into account people who do not listen to advice? - Yes, model takes it into account, but there is a real need for everyone to follow the advice. Stresses this point because ICU capacity is kept in a way that isn't breached. "Crucial" to take advice, not soft advice but "clear instruction".

Jenny Harries
- Q&A's -in response to antibody test & protecting carers? - talk about using the new tests to help carers.
- Q&A's - school closure length? - Reason for school closure is to reduce social contact in society. Nothing about safety of children.
- Q&A's - how to take new tests (existing test not antibody test) if/when they are available? - ambition for home base test eventually.

SerenityValley

Anyone know if the children of key workers have to go to school?

I’m an office worker, working from home - other half is a key worker.

i’ll be at home to look after them - they will be at work.

I Don’t have time to drop off and collect 3 kids each day - and we can’t utilise our parents as they’re vulnerable. And the wraparound clubs likely to be cancelled anyway.

figure we just won’t say anything to the schools and keep them off. Worst case, my partner’s kid would have to go - I’d argue as we’re a recently joined family that my kids are mine and my partner’s kid is theirs.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Interestingly Lombardy went into lockdown on 8 March, 10 days ago, and took it seriously fairly quickly.
The rest of the country followed on 10 March and i don't think took it as seriously as they weren't so badly hit at that point.

Lombardy has been stable in case rises for a few days whilst the huge increases are now coming from other regions.
People keep saying Italy is looking more positive, but I can't see it unless you are seriously cherry picking the data: https://lab.gedidigital.it/gedi-visual/2020/coronavirus-i-contagi-in-italia/

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Johnson is struggling to find the right tone.
Something I cannot get past with him is that “school boy being told off“ half grin that he struggles to contain when he’s discussing the most serious subjects.

Drawfull

Oh, Vallance don't give people wiggle room to ignore the guidance.
A full lock down will come and maybe if this advice 'staggers's the amount in lock down, it can last longer without civil unrest. I've been quite impressed in Spain but there are more people moving about today than there were the past few and it's only been a handful of days.

I am almost out of blood pressure meds, but I am also almost out of cigs, too so I will go back to daily BP checks, rather than risk going to the farmacia. Brother in law in isolation, parents quarantined off Brazil on a ship and no cigs. feck my life.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I know! A BBC reporter on a 6 figure salary and she asks a dumb question like that.
I didn't watch that specific issue but bear in mind reporters have to ask questions for the common folk, not themselves.

Just today a friend of mine was pissed off because he just started on a new job (assistant cook) and will have to spend two weeks home because the business will be closed. He has no idea it will likely be months.

Some people still don't get it.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Anyone know if the children of key workers have to go to school?

I’m an office worker, working from home - other half is a key worker.

i’ll be at home to look after them - they will be at work.

I Don’t have time to drop off and collect 3 kids each day - and we can’t utilise our parents as they’re vulnerable. And the wraparound clubs likely to be cancelled anyway.

figure we just won’t say anything to the schools and keep them off. Worst case, my partner’s kid would have to go - I’d argue as we’re a recently joined family that my kids are mine and my partner’s kid is theirs.
Of course they don't have to go, you can self isolate whenever you want anyway.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Wtf. How is that going work? If the building needs to be reopened for students then Estates need to come in as well. Then there's additional travel arrangements for the kids, plus the Health and Safety inspectors, plus first aiders, plus reception staff.

That's not forgetting that whilst these teachers are delivering lessons and doing their normal prepping, marking etc they'll also be expected to provide online learning for other students, video meetings, and more than likely do CPD training because the majority of teachers have never done remote learning. If you think teachers are going to be having one big holiday then you're having a laugh mate.

But none of it matters because if the government say the buildings are shut then they're shut.
I was right. They are staying open for kids whose parents who work in emergency services.

0le

Emergency legislation to ban evictions for three months.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
A full lock down will come and maybe if this advice 'staggers's the amount in lock down, it can last longer without civil unrest. I've been quite impressed in Spain but there are more people moving about today than there were the past few and it's only been a handful of days.

I am almost out of blood pressure meds, but I am also almost out of cigs, too so I will go back to daily BP checks, rather than risk going to the farmacia. Brother in law in isolation, parents quarantined off Brazil on a ship and no cigs. feck my life.
It was the comment about "modelling accepting some people won't follow the guidance" (or similar). At least Boris did actually then hammer home that it was everybody's duty.

Nogbadthebad

I am wondering whether the government had a roadmap for big announcements spaced out each day this week, so there were clear headline messages each day. or whether this situation is moving so quick that they just keep coming?

Monday) Social distancing and isolation
Tuesday) Business
Wednesday) Children & education
Thursday) ?
Friday) ?

Edit: The PM Boris Johnson and the Education Secretary making speeches at the same time. Sort it out lads, we want to hear from you both.

Both the Welsh and Scottish governments announced school closures earlier today.

That, and the fact the schools minister is on at the same time as johnson, suggests Westminster have been bounced into this by the other nations. That doesn't suggest a cohesive strategy.

The lies at PMQs also suggest they are reactive rather than proactive.