SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Drawfull

Thats the state of the roads in Spain for a weekend get always. For the rest of people sorry is in english. But basically. several kilometres of feckING TRAFFIC JAM

https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/2824495/0/retenciones-trafico-inicio-fin-de-semana/

Spain is doomed. Has the worst projection curve in the world. in 4 days will reach close to 1000 deaths per day and our peak is foreseen for 15-21 april. But seeing all this morons, who know if there will be a controlled peak or just a full blown one. If it is controlled peak, we will reach it with 3000 deaths a day at least with more than +50.000 at the peak. going down the peak, another 50.000. And then more...

Looking pretty ugly. My dad is very healthy, no pathologist, but they are rejecting in some hospitals ALREADY the +65. He is 7e, so if he gets it he is dead most likely. He is responsible, stocked for 3 months food and being quite attentive in his disinfection, and cleaning recommendations, but its never 100% perfect. Today I just scared him a bit more, and i cried a little because there are morons that still going out even risking to being fined. As a country we have what we deserve, but as individuals, most likely the stupid ones will survive
It's fecking crazy isn't it? I saw in el pais that some hospitals are basically choosing on life expectancy now - that's literally what it said but I don't know if it meant expectacy to survive or potential years left.

Sounds like the party has been shut (gated urbanizacion, so security probably tried) but whether they've just gone inside I don't know. Weather's crappy as well, which makes it even more mental.

We're gonna have to do a full Wuhan style lockdown, GC and PL enforcing it. Except, where I am there are not enough police, because of the drugs. Yay.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Thats the state of the roads in Spain for a weekend get always. For the rest of people sorry is in english. But basically. several kilometres of feckING TRAFFIC JAM

https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/2824495/0/retenciones-trafico-inicio-fin-de-semana/

Spain is doomed. Has the worst projection curve in the world. in 4 days will reach close to 1000 deaths per day and our peak is foreseen for 15-21 april. But seeing all this morons, who know if there will be a controlled peak or just a full blown one. If it is controlled peak, we will reach it with 3000 deaths a day at least with more than +50.000 at the peak. going down the peak, another 50.000. And then more...

Looking pretty ugly. My dad is very healthy, no pathologist, but they are rejecting in some hospitals ALREADY the +65. He is 7e, so if he gets it he is dead most likely. He is responsible, stocked for 3 months food and being quite attentive in his disinfection, and cleaning recommendations, but its never 100% perfect. Today I just scared him a bit more, and i cried a little because there are morons that still going out even risking to being fined. As a country we have what we deserve, but as individuals, most likely the stupid ones will survive
The link is from 2016

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
Some people are saying it’s the way deaths are reported. So if someone catches Corona but has an underlying health issue then then the death gets attributed to the health issue.

I have no idea if this is the case.
The president of the RKI was actually asked who they count as (corona related) death cases just yesterday and his answer was that they count anyone who was tested positive for Corona.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Lorenzo Sanz, former Real Madrid president(1995-2000) died today for the virus

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Just got 10 pints of ale/cider from the local for £15. Silver lining.

Foxbatt

There are medicine that does help though. The Chinese used the Japanese flu vaccine and it did help people in China but this for after they got infected. What is needed is a vaccine that would stop infecting people. In the UK treatment for HIV also helped the patients. The Chinese are trying to mass produce the Japanese flu vaccine but I think the copyright issue and this has not been approved by the Japanese government to use on Covid patients could be the delay.
WHO says 4 drugs have been fast tracked and if all goes well they could be ready for production by end of April. Avigan which has been used in China is also effective in the treatment and so they are hoping they could finalise the clinical trials and get it approved into production. The Americans have one too which can be used on compassionate grounds in just to save a life and also the Israelis have also some that can be used to safe lives. Whether it will save lives or not is not sure. But they are allowed to use it in that case.

Revan

Assumptionman
Is it true that only 3 of the victims in Italy did not have any underlying conditions? I remember read it today somewhere.

Also, only 5 victims under 40 (and all of them had some underlying conditions).

Foxbatt

Singapore looks the best place to ride this out.
I would say China now. They do not have any new reports from the inside and hence they would have the medical equipment and the experience to deal with it now. Singapore has had two deaths today.

redshaw

102 new cases in Ireland

• 55% are male and 44% are female
  • the median age of confirmed cases is 44 years
  • 30% of cases have been hospitalized
  • 13 cases admitted to ICU – representing 2% of all cases hospitalized
  • 147 cases – 25% of cases are associated with healthcare workers
  • Dublin has the highest number of cases at 55%, followed by Cork 15%
Some interesting info from Ireland, might explain the low deaths so far.

I've also read Germany for whatever reason , cases have skewed to the younger population. So along with top healthcare, ton of testing etc, they might have just a bit of lag while it reaches the older population.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Isn't long-distance running really bad for your immune system?
I couldn't possibly answer that but just to say me and the missus ran 1 mile a fortnight ago and it was tough going for us. The plan was to extend that half a km every evening but then the world got turned upside down.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

I couldn’t find out if there was going to be a COVID-19 presser today. Turns out there was and it was very much the C-team. Literally no idea who any of these three are and still none the wiser.

Wolverine

The French study is here
https://www.mediterranee-infection....2020/03/Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA.pdf

Have to be very cautious with it as small sample size. All patients had mild-moderate symptoms. The ones who went to ITU died or were lost to follow up.
And nasopharyngeal swabs to test for coronavirus seems not a clinically significant endpoint to study
In reality what should be done is to see the drugs with control, single and combination given to study for effects in reducing mortality, reducing progression to intubation, reducing rates of ARDS + myocarditis and reducing stay in ITU with successful extubation etc.

Hopeful that with the numerous trials being conducted that we start seeing some strong data emerge on a pharmacological agent (or agents) to use

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Why do celebrities feel the need to speak up about matters way outside their fields of expertise? On here & elsewhere, as a non-famous person, I can afford to recklessly give my opinion on things; but if I was famous, there's no way I'd inflict my ignorant and naive views about serious matters onto the public.
Well, speaking as a celebrity (not really but I am an essential worker and most essential workers we are paid shite ) it's all about profile and the need to seem to be relevant. Don't forget, these little darlings have had a week or 2 out of the limelight and their egos are now struggling to cope

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I couldn't possibly answer that but just to say me and the missus ran 1 mile a fortnight ago and it was tough going for us. The plan was to extend that half a km every evening but then the world got turned upside down.
Don't worry, technically you can still run outside? Just have to keep your distance from other people? Maybe do it at night.