SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Nogbadthebad

Beyond frustrating
Yes, the people deserve criticism, but also, this morning Robert Jenrick, the current housing secretary, was on Sophy Ridge saying its fine to take your kids to the park, to go out for a walk.

You can't say that and then moan when people go foa walk in the park.

This is a failure of government. And I dgaf who gets their panties in a bunch for me saying it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Get in there. Let's hope it's all downhill from here for Italy.

Good news for us too with cases and deaths down from the expected trend

Summer heat having an effect on the virus (weather is lovely and warm in the UK this weekend)?? Doubt it though, since South East Asia and Africa are on the upwards trend.
It's only been 10 degrees here today. That said sunshine meant the country park was pretty busy with families when I walked through it a few hours ago. Going to be big issue if there's a heatwave in may as that's when the peak is predicted to be.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Get in there. Let's hope it's all downhill from here for Italy.

Good news for us too with cases and deaths down from the expected trend

Summer heat having an effect on the virus (weather is lovely and warm in the UK this weekend)?? Doubt it though, since South East Asia and Africa are on the upwards trend.
Have Italy's death and/or cases numbers gone down?

F-Red

“When you’re a clown, nobody takes you seriously.”
True.

I just don’t get his point where he says ‘if people still continue to not listen to the advice then we’ll go to the next level’, it’s so painfully clear that people aren’t getting it. I was out on my bike today and I lost count of cyclist groups, walkers, family’s all disregarding the instructions.

He only seems to think to action when it’s staring him right in his face.

ManchesterYoda

Iran's Khamanei refuses US help to fight coronavirus, citing conspiracy theory

Iran's supreme leader refused US assistance on Sunday to fight the new coronavirus, citing an unfounded conspiracy theory that the virus could be man-made by America

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei's comments come as Iran faces crushing US sanctions blocking the country from selling its crude oil and accessing international financial markets.

But while Iranian civilian officials in recent days have increasingly criticized those sanctions, 80-year-old Khamenei instead chose to traffic in the same conspiracy theory increasingly used by Chinese officials about the new virus to deflect blame for the pandemic.

“I do not know how real this accusation is but when it exists, who in their right mind would trust you to bring them medication?" Khamenei said. "Possibly your medicine is a way to spread the virus more.”

He also alleged without offering any evidence that the virus “is specifically built for Iran using the genetic data of Iranians which they have obtained through different means.”

“You might send people as doctors and therapists, maybe they would want to come here and see the effect of the poison they have produced in person," he said

https://www.france24.com/en/2020032...to-fight-coronavirus-citing-conspiracy-theory
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'état

Would you call this a conspiracy theory?

In August 2013, sixty years afterward, the U.S. government formally acknowledged the U.S. role in the coup by releasing a bulk of previously classified government documents that show it was in charge of both the planning and the execution of the coup, including the bribing of Iranian politicians, security and army high-ranking officials, as well as pro-coup propaganda.
The CIA is quoted acknowledging the coup was carried out "under CIA direction" and "as an act of U.S. foreign policy, conceived and approved at the highest levels of government".

Would you have called it a conspiracy theory before August 2013?

If you were Iranian would you trust USA and UK without question?

Smores

The failure in messaging carries on, leaving policy aside our PM should be leaving no room for doubt and yet he repeatedly is.

If anything with his continued talk of future measures if necessary are just encouraging people to go out now.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
When you've got a bumbling,waffling d*ck as Prime-minister no ones going to take that bumbling,waffling d*ck seriously, which is why the majority of people voted for him.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

In August 2013, sixty years afterward, the U.S. government formally acknowledged the U.S. role in the coup by releasing a bulk of previously classified government documents that show it was in charge of both the planning and the execution of the coup, including the bribing of Iranian politicians, security and army high-ranking officials, as well as pro-coup propaganda.
The CIA is quoted acknowledging the coup was carried out "under CIA direction" and "as an act of U.S. foreign policy, conceived and approved at the highest levels of government".

Are those questions for me?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s refusing to even say the word lockdown, let alone implement one. Imbecile.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Boris is like Thanos, an incredibly shit powerless version. Seemingly though he's still doing his absolute best to halve the population of the UK.

Fingeredmouse

CIA initiating coups are different from claiming that the US released a genetically engineered disease designed to target "Iranian DNA".

0le

Boris was surprised someone mentioned bringing the police with regards to lockdown. Was a bizarre reaction.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Why hasn't he been asked specifically about the way people are mobbing supermarkets and what to do about it?

Or did I miss it?

0le

Why hasn't he been asked specifically about the way people are mobbing supermarkets and what to do about it?

Or did I miss it?
No you didn't, he wasn't asked about that directly, but some questions did mention it indirectly by saying specifically that people are not listening.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Now you might see some action.
Its Rand Paul, he is asymptomatic and he doesn’t possess the faculties to consider the possibility that other people experience the virus in a much less pleasant form.

If he had horrible symptoms he would be trying to pass legislation right now to ensure that rich, white, Republican members of congress have free access to whatever health care is needed to overcome the virus and ensure that any time they need to take off is handsomely compensated and all votes on legislation are put on hold until they are all back in the senate.

Snafu17

"A makeshift hospital has been set up in a conference centre in the capital Madrid, a city that is bearing some of the highest infection rates.

The hospital will be fitted with 5,500 beds, making it the biggest facility of its kind in Europe. Its director, Antonio Zapatero, told El Mundo newspaper that 300 people will be move there this weekend.

Earlier we reported on new figures from Spain, which has now seen over 1,700 disease-related deaths since the coronavirus epidemic began."

From the BBC. Should say "moved". I see many articles on the bbc site have spelling mistakes or broken English.
This is oddly terrifying.
So Italy could be peaking?
Hopefully, but it's probably better to wait for a trend before getting your hopes up.

Foxbatt

Forced quarantine would work because at least the infected would stay inside and not infect anyone outside. This is how it multiplies.
It's going to spike up in UK for sure. The USA too. They are just being very careless.

stepic

Is a linear or logarithmic chart more accurate in determining whether the disease is slowing down?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The Indian states are having a complete lockdown with no trains , flights , tubes , public transport, shops closed . I can't believe that the UK with 10 times the case load is still in the process of advising people

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yes, the people deserve criticism, but also, this morning Robert Jenrick, the current housing secretary, was on Sophy Ridge saying its fine to take your kids to the park, to go out for a walk.

You can't say that and then moan when people go foa walk in the park.

This is a failure of government. And I dgaf who gets their panties in a bunch for me saying it.
Problem is that they've given people one option to go out so everybody is doing the same thing. I went for a walk yesterday and passed by the park, it was genuinely packed.

It's the same as the supermarkets. Once you take people's options away, they all congregate at the same (only) places that are still available. People shouldn't be doing it but they are.

0le

Is a linear or logarithmic chart more accurate in determining whether the disease is slowing down?
If you have data which is not clear on linear axes because the change is too small or too big, then you you should probably use log scales. Remember that the information is still the same, its just about making it clearer to visualise, not more "accurate".

stepic

If you have data which is not clear on linear axes because the change is too small or too big, then you you should probably use log scales. Remember that the information is still the same, its just about making it clearer to visualise, not more "accurate".
Sure, that’s what I was getting at. Looking at the logarithmic chart for Italy for example it does look like its levelling off somewhat, which is encouraging.

C3Pique

Boris is more concerned with his popularity than anyone's safety. He doesn't want to be the one to tell people not to go out.

Dante

Average bang
Problem is that they've given people one option to go out so everybody is doing the same thing. I went for a walk yesterday and passed by the park, it was genuinely packed.

It's the same as the supermarkets. Once you take people's options away, they all congregate at the same (only) places that are still available. People shouldn't be doing it but they are.
Exactly. If there was a lockdown on everything but pharmacies and food stores (as many seem to be calling for), the supermarkets would be just as packed.