SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just read about a holocaust survivor dying from Covid19. Fecking hell man, imagine surviving the holocaust and then dying from a virus never seen before. Talk about being unlucky.
Horrible combo of things to be involved in.
But incredible good fortune to get through the Holocaust is the positive I suppose. To get to a ripe old age.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Question to our Indian based posters:

How is Convid19 interrupting Modi's 'national ID' plans and the demonstrations against that?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Thats the scary bit. Half the fecking population could have it, not know, and still transmit to others.
Scary on one hand. Promising on the other. A lot of us could have had it, and not had any of the two UK official symptoms, and now have recovered with far greater immunity. If we were factored in, this would substantially slash the case fatality rate. That’s one possible miracle that gets out of this sooner than we anticipate.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
People have to be able to get out for fresh air. So many Italians live in apartments. They must be going crazy.
I wrote before that the ciao ciao double cheek kiss (from unknown carriers) must also have been a huge reason for their higher numbers.

On 'Crazy' ... Wuhan residents were welded into their apartments by Government agents during enforced self isolation. Sometimes dictatorship is useful!

bonothom

650 people died In Italy alone today of it, that's a rate of over 230,000 a year, assuming it doesn't keep increasing

A very simplistic way of looking at it for sure, but somehow less simplistic than yours. You cant think that this is just a flu and will just disappear in a week or 2 and we'll just get back to normal
Who said that? I'm stating facts not predictions. On average 600,000 people die every year in the UK. A lot of people that die of covid19 would be among the deaths this year without covid19. There would be an overlap, even Patrick Valance admitted this.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

"A makeshift hospital has been set up in a conference centre in the capital Madrid, a city that is bearing some of the highest infection rates.

The hospital will be fitted with 5,500 beds, making it the biggest facility of its kind in Europe. Its director, Antonio Zapatero, told El Mundo newspaper that 300 people will be move there this weekend.

Earlier we reported on new figures from Spain, which has now seen over 1,700 disease-related deaths since the coronavirus epidemic began."

From the BBC. Should say "moved". I see many articles on the bbc site have spelling mistakes or broken English.
I should probably know this, but I wonder where the Manchester equivalent would be? Manchester Central/G-Mex?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
650 people died In Italy alone today of it, that's a rate of over 230,000 a year, assuming it doesn't keep increasing

A very simplistic way of looking at it for sure, but somehow less simplistic than yours. You cant think that this is just a flu and will just disappear in a week or 2 and we'll just get back to normal
Everyone who posts with this flu comparison doesn't realise that if we can turn this into another seasonal virus with the same yearly death rate, it will be a big win.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I should probably know this, but I wonder where the Manchester equivalent would be? Manchester Central/G-Mex?
Gmex and the exhibition space near the Trafford Centre. Nec in Birmingham and Excel in London

Smores

Who said that? I'm stating facts not predictions. On average 600,000 people die every year in the UK. A lot of people that die of covid19 would be among the deaths this year without covid19. There would be an overlap, even Patrick Valance admitted this.
How much overlap?

Utdstar01

I've found its still possible to get a full shop in if you are willing to compromise a bit on what you would usually get and try a different or more expensive version. More than enough stuff was in my local ASDA and Lidl to have plenty of meals for the week. Eggs were like gold dust but I can live without them.
Luckily the supermarket i go to has a BM and poundstretcher just over from it so I can get pretty much everything in one sweep. Avoid going in the mornings at all cost, these seem to be peak times now and you're most vulnerable to be caught in crowds.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
New York having 12,000 new cases in a day is mental :eek:
not really given its population density, esp Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn.

Good luck forcing people to stay confined into tiny NYC apartments for required period without martial law too!

vodrake

Of for sure there will be a lot of overlap, there will also be a lot of people who had other unrelated illnesses/injuries who will die unnecessarily because our health system is overloaded with Covid-19 patients due to the rapid infection rate and lack of vaccine/antiviral.It's still not comparable to the flu

0le

The latest figures for coronavirus-related deaths in England included a person as young as 18, the NHS says.

In total 37 people with the virus died today in England, all in vulnerable groups including with underlying conditions.

There were another seven in Wales, three in Scotland and one in Northern Ireland.
BBC.

MDFC Manager

Question to our Indian based posters:

How is Convid19 interrupting Modi's 'national ID' plans and the demonstrations against that?
The demonstrations continue on a smaller scale than before, the census for the citizenship registry has apparently also been put on hold for now.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don’t think that is it at all. Personally I think that the decision to lock the country down has already been made.

The government are implementing smaller steps over a longer period rather than a singular large jump in one go. Rightly or wrongly it’s being done to allow the country to digest the measures more easily.

Also when we do get the total lockdown (in the next couple of days imo) he can lay the blame for the drastic action on the people that didn’t listen to him initially and continued to ignore the governments requests.
That is EXACTLY what is happening. They have a 'road map' which will be a quick but individual roll out of actions, increasing in severity every time.

I just hope they allow UK nationals abroad home, as they have yet to instruct SOS to Brits abroad (my flight from Thailand is on 25th!)

From what I can see, and Im a labour supporter, I have sympathy for BJ and his Government. Despite his personna, he is a smart and resilient person, has good people around him, and has a great instinct for reading the mood of the nation (eg his rise from London mayor to PM).

Whether we like it or not, there is a balancing act between human life and future security and prosperity. Every Government decision is laced with is 'kill 1 person to save 100'. Every decision he takes has any least 40% downside. Just has to take the least worst decision every time. And he may make mistakes, but I'll trust them as well meaning for now.

Electorate have to quickly get their hands around that. Just follow his advice!!!

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
That is EXACTLY what is happening. They have a 'road map' which will be a quick but individual roll out of actions, increasing in severity every time.

I just hope they allow UK nationals abroad home, as they have yet to instruct SOS to Brits abroad (my flight from Thailand is on 25th!)

From what I can see, and Im a labour supporter, I have sympathy for BJ and his Government. I think BJ has good people around him, and has a great instinct for reading the mood of the nation (eg his rise from London mayor to PM).

Whether we like it or not, there is a balancing act between human life and future security and prosperity. Every decision Government is faced with is 'kill 1 person to save 100'. Every decision he takes has any least 40% downside. Just has to take the least worst decision every time. And he may make mistakes, but I'll trust them as well meaning for now.

Electorate have to quickly get their hands around that.
Agree.

Some people will always resist being told what to do. But if you can convince them it was their own idea, they'll happily fall into line.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Just nipped to my local corner shop (about a 4 minute drive), got a 9 pack of bog roll and pack of spaghetti. Pretty well stocked. Cashier was wearing gloves.

Much better to go to these little shops as everyone seems to gravitate towards the hypermarkets.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Just nipped to my local corner shop (about a 4 minute drive), got a 9 pack of bog roll and pack of spaghetti. Pretty well stocked. Cashier was wearing gloves.

Much better to go to these little shops as everyone seems to gravitate towards the hypermarkets.
This worked for me for a while. Ours finally had to close today as it had almost completely empty shelves though.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Watching the 6 pm news and the scenes from across the UK are so scary . Every park or garden is full of people , everyone's enjoying a nice sunny day . People really don't have a clue and England will soon have it worse than Italy
I think being outside is ok as long as you're following the social distancing guidelines. In fact I have seen a lot more people out walking recently and there are health benefits to that.

DavidDeSchmikes

With these press conferences, you've got Boris Johnson and his colleagues standing less than 2 meters apart in a room full of journalists passing around the same microphone asking why people aren't listening and self isolating.

ManchesterYoda

Maybe yesterday was the peak? Let's see what tomorrow says. We want 600-700 or lower and not a jump above 1,000 again.