SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Guy Incognito

surely have a full tube service at rush hour and ask employers to stagger start times. 9-5 isn't written in stone
that's what the civil service have started to do. problem is even at 9am yesterday with reduced services and train delays, some carriages were packed.

saivet

Look at the state of that Underground! It's from this morning right? London is fecked if so.

What can they realistically do to prevent that though? They literally need to close all non-essential businesses (I don't actually know if they've done this already).
They can increase services assuming there are enough staff available and fit to work. You would like it to think it wouldn't, but there is a danger it could encourage people who don't need to travel to start getting on the tube.

Nogbadthebad

If anyone is still wondering why people are confused.

Look at this tweet. The image on the left was the official government tweet before 10pm last night.

The one on the right is after 10pm.

Do not defend this.

Nogbadthebad

Government should be paying cabbies in London, most of whom are sitting at home waiting to go bankrupt, to ferry the NHS workers to work and home. They have a divider so are safer than normal cars, and it gets them off the tube.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Just a general request...if you make a post about what it is like where you are can you please state your location so we can understand better?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Government should be paying cabbies in London, most of whom are sitting at home waiting to go bankrupt, to ferry the NHS workers to work and home. They have a divider so are safer than normal cars, and it gets them off the tube.

That's actually a fantastic idea

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
So this is my facebook this morning:

This was her facebook 4 days ago

And this was her boyfriend the day before that

Times like this I want to point out what she did 4 days ago, but it's just not worth the hassle :lol:
:lol: Damn.

F-Red

Sorry but that’s a ridiculous suggestion. There is zero infection control methods with cabs and an extreme high risk of passing the virus on.

The answer is to address with more capacity on the tube to encourage distancing or to push all non-key workers to stay at home.

This attitude is so fecking ubiquitous in the West. The choices we make are our own. Yes they are but your choices have consequences you utter twats. Not everything is about you and your life. Have some thought for those around you for once in your life.
As is the attitude of 'well its up to the government to tell me what to do'. No it's fecking not. Use your common sense and stop going out. Until that realisation comes from the general population the virus won't get under control, the police can't possibly keep everybody at home all of the time.

Smores

Yeah Tfl need to do a lot more. They shouldn't be reducing services for one, more trains but control the amount allowed into stations so that people are spaced out.

The only thing that will stop people using it is making it slow and inconvenient.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Sorry but that’s a ridiculous suggestion. There is zero infection control methods with cabs and an extreme high risk of passing the virus on.

The answer is to address with more capacity on the tube to encourage distancing or to push all non-key workers to stay at home.

It's got to be better than them using the tube.

Nogbadthebad

I'm not following.

In a Cab there is two people, one driver, one NHS worker.

The cab can be wiped down between pickups.

On the tube, there are an unknown number of contacts and no method of maintaining cleanliness.

I can't see any situation where the former is worse than the latter.

redshaw

They should just run more trains and spread the people out in London, the extra cost is tiny.

Also as said, use the cabs for essential workers like NHS staff.

F-Red

It's got to be better than them using the tube.
It isn’t, the tube will have deep cleaning at least once or twice per day. The cab isn’t going to get a deep clean at all. It’s a really bad idea and we should focus efforts on getting more capacity or supporting the self employed so they dont feel as though they have to come to work.

F-Red

I'm not following.

On the tube, there are an unknown number of contacts and no method of maintaining cleanliness.

A wipe down isn’t sufficient, public transportation needs physical deep clean. Driver will come into contact with it, and then go to his family and friends. It’s a really bad idea, muted heavily by health officials yesterday when the question was posed on a lot of the news channels.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Friend who works as a contractor building Aldi stores has said that Aldi have had to step in and close their construction sites as the government have failed to do so.

F-Red

But that's nonsense. The tube would need to be cleaned everytime a new person got in or out.
It’s happening currently, not to that level of degree but deep cleans are happening. Which is more that is happening with any London taxi.

MadMike

I'm not following.

Colour me sceptical, but I severely doubt the average cabbie is performing a full disinfection of the cabin between customer visits. He could. But who does that?

Also the cabbie is taking cash in hand from most passengers. Being passed notes and coins another person handled.

Might be safer than the tube, but it ain't safe.

There's nothing wrong with the Underground capacity. They should be reducing it if anything. 2 million people use the tube every day and there are a little over 100,000 NHS clinical staff in London. The problem is all the random office jobs thinking they're essential because the country will collapse if they can't provide their executive recruitment services or whatever pointless thing it is they do.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
If anyone is still wondering why people are confused.

Look at this tweet. The image on the left was the official government tweet before 10pm last night.

The one on the right is after 10pm.

Do not defend this.

The national address was at 8.35pm so I don't see the issue here.

F-Red

There's nothing wrong with the Underground capacity. They should be reducing it if anything. 2 million people use the tube every day and there are a little over 100,000 NHS clinical staff in London. The problem is all the random office jobs thinking they're essential because the country will collapse if they can't provide their executive recruitment services or whatever pointless thing it is they do.
1.9m random office jobs is the problem. I’m guessing it’s just essential workers, and those who haven’t been told to stay at home (self employed or otherwise). If they kept the same capacity that they had pre-mini shut down then i don’t think we would have the bunching experience that we’re seeing over the past two days.

LARulz

Because the police now have the power to fine people and disperse gatherings of more than 2 people. Also the shutting down of all shops except food and medical. The order for the closing of places of worship and libraries. There's a lot different.
But those, except the 2 people, were mentioned on Friday. Most things closed on the weekend, maybe it's where I am but I saw no store not under the essential shops open. Either he did say it and people listened and he just repeated, or these places did it themselves and he is just saying it to confirm. Either way, almost nothing is new in what he said in my opinion.... again except the 2 people thing.

I can only assume it's a set up for something more strict later but again, enforcement will be tough without going extreme

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

A step up in measures expected, though not to the same degree as in the UK.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Can anyone in the UK describe to me the message they got if they are one of the high-risk people advised to completely isolate for 12 weeks?

My mum got two phone calls this morning and then a text on her mobile from the NHS. It didn't give any specific instructions so we're not sure if she is at-risk or not. Was there just a general mass text sent out today?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Can anyone in the UK describe to me the message they got if they are one of the high-risk people advised to completely isolate for 12 weeks?

My mum got two phone calls this morning and then a text on her mobile from the NHS. It didn't give any specific instructions so we're not sure if she is at-risk or not. Was there just a general mass text sent out today?
I’ll PM you a photo of it

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
It's unhealthy in that endurance athletes have an increased risk of upper respiratory tract infections. That's not "nothing whatsoever."
Depending on the effort it can also lead to temporary Immuno suppression.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I got what I think was a mass text message. I've no particular risk factors, not on medication, under treatment for anything.

It reads:
GOV.UK CORONAVIRUS ALERT New rules in force now: you must stay at home. More info & exemptions at gov.uk/coronavirus
Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.

I assume the "you're at risk" text tells you to expect a letter or has a different link - but I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if I get another text later clarifying whether or not this is the heavy duty version.

Meanwhile in assuming it isn't, because I'm going to be doing the shopping for some family members who are in home isolation.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I got what I think was a mass text message. I've no particular risk factors, not on medication, under treatment for anything.

It reads:
GOV.UK CORONAVIRUS ALERT New rules in force now: you must stay at home. More info & exemptions at gov.uk/coronavirus
Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.

I assume the "you're at risk" text tells you to expect a letter or has a different link - but I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if I get another text later clarifying whether or not this is the heavy duty version.

Meanwhile in assuming it isn't, because I'm going to be doing the shopping for some family members who are in home isolation.

Yeah that was it. Just keep me posted please. Are the NHS in the habit of doing mass texts? It's kind of a thing in the US. We get Amber Alerts when a child has been abducted or when extreme weather is coming.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Don’t know if this has already been posted or mentioned.

@Bloomberg business twitter account:

‘BREAKING: China’s Wuhan to lift lockdown measures on April 8’

Full article on: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...dium=social&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business

You also have the critical voices, who claim that this is ‘Chinese propaganda’.

Best case scenario:
Wuhan has been in lockdown for 2 months? If European countries will follow the same route (many did), the trajectory of a potential (emphasis on potential) lift would be somewhere around the end of May or beginning of June?

I guess that would be a case by case situation, considering the amount of cases in each country, the growth, the peak and eventually the decline.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

This is the one for those at risk:

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
First it was corona, then we got hit by earthquake and now it's been snowing last 2 days with really cold weather outside.

Can't make this shit up. :(

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Yeah that was it. Just keep me posted please. Are the NHS in the habit of doing mass texts? It's kind of a thing in the US. We get Amber Alerts when a child has been abducted or when extreme weather is coming.
No. First time I've seen anything like this.

My GP sometimes send appointment reminders or a reminder to call them to book myself in for some sort of test.

b82REZ

I've been trying to get clarification from my boss but he's clueless and I don't think he's actually asking for me.

Ordinarily I only qualify for SSP if I'm off work. However I'm classed as key worker and have to come and look after children who have been sent to school. As far as I'm concerned I'm at a much higher risk of contracting the virus as I'm working 5 days a weeks with care home children who will have contact with various other people out of school. With the government stating they'll pay 80% of wages does this include workers forced into SSP due to illness?

I'll be in a real catch 22 if I get ill. While I would stay off and take the hit financially I know some colleagues who would likely come to work as they cannot afford to live on SSP.