SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Is that the whole of the UK including England because we have been getting that number of cases for Scotland, Wales and NI without England involved.
That’s on the website I usually go too that’s been accurate so far, so really no idea, again it’s pointless looking things are going to get a lot worse very quickly.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
It's the figures excluding England and only partial for Scotland:

Wales: 150 cases, 5 deaths,
NI: 37 cases, 2 deaths
Scotland: ??? cases, 6 deaths

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yeah but it’s what has been reported this far.
Don’t know what the logic would be in releasing bad news later on, but I feel that the last 24 hours I have heard plenty of stories from people on Facebook about people dying from this. I’m wondering if the whole “test for everyone” news today was to try and bring up optimism?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I think my little boy might have it. Hacking cough and and temperature of 38.6C.

Called 111 and we’ve got to isolate for 14 days. if his temp goes above 38.7 I’ve got to call them back.

my wife, my 8 month old and myself all have the cough but no temperature yet. Scary times
All the best to you and yours, Gareth. x

fergieisold

Cheers. 34 in Oldham area, not too bad I guess although true number likely to be x10 or more higher. I've still not heard of anybody confirmed officially but have heard of several with symptoms similar to the virus.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Don’t know what the logic would be in releasing bad news later on, but I feel that the last 24 hours I have heard plenty of stories from people on Facebook about people dying from this. I’m wondering if the whole “test for everyone” news today was to try and bring up optimism?
I think most people know the problem in the UK is much worse than it’s reported, but given the fact it seems most people here are feck wits anything that stops more panic buying is a good thing.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Damn. People are addicted to that shitty drug in Somaliland/Somalia as well. Authorities there make no moves unless they receive directives from the UN/WHO who are slow and often have corrupt representatives there. (Also someone I know was on the phone to people there, and it appears people have some bizarre myths about this virus, due to lack of proper information I assume).
I heard Farmajo stopped the import of Kenyan khat. This plant is a certified drug everywhere else in the world except in Eastern Africa and Yemen. At least now in Djibouti there is a curfew, the army is present and people are put straight to jail if they are seen at night but I feel like it's too late.
Regarding the myths, you're unfortunately right, people think the sun/heat will protect them whereas they know Saudia Arabia is on lockdown, the Mekkah is on lockdown too. Many of them do not know about the concept "asymptomatic carrier", for them if you cough you are sick, if you don't then you are fine. Many pricks think they have a special protection from God and therefore they still have to pray in groups, they don't realize how selfish they are actually.

Skills

Snitch
Except nobody believes China numbers including the Chinese so lets send a rumor this virus was created by the states. This pandemic was the wake up call for the west and China's growing will suffer in the future because I'm sure the west will move some important manufacturing back to the countries. Look to US with shortage of respirators, masks and ventilators, with Ford and Tesla making ventilators since they come from China and their government took over of any medical supplies made there.
I doubt it's coming back to the west specifically. But they'll make more of an effort to diversify the supply chains and the likes of Indonesia and Philippines might be where they shift some of it, to reduce the dependence on China.

kouroux

I doubt it's coming back to the west specifically. But they'll make more of an effort to diversify the supply chains and the likes of Indonesia and Philippines might be where they shift some of it, to reduce the dependence on China.
Once everything goes to back normal in a few months and years, usual habits (profit at all costs) will kick in and therefore Western countries will always look for cheap production costs even if it's not China anymore

Shez

Fear I may have it. Have had a dry cough for 12 days now (self isolated immediately save grocery runs which I’m regretting now), recently got diarrhea and this dull pain in the chest (no breathing difficulty). Sense of taste and smell still there. No fever either
Not serious enough to get a test though (am 30)

staubsauger

Supports
The underdog
How are Germany’s numbers so much better than elsewhere?
Hard to say while it is still spreading, but there are some data points which might explain the relatively low fatality numbers so far(though they are still going to be horrible). In terms of testing, 'we' appear to be more active than the other European countries, according to Politico(https://imgur.com /UeJKNFR) 200k test are done each week, compared to ~300k tests in Italy and ~90k tests in the UK so far in total. According to Prof Drosten, head of the centre for virology at the Charité, Germany has several advantages in regards to diagnostics, equipment and personnel with the necessary knowhow. Furthermore, Germany has more critical care beds/capita than the other european nations(https://i.redd.it/0fs0pfeocrm41.png) with roughly 29/100k compared to ~13 in Italy and ~6.5 in the UK(it is split between the 4 British nations, so that number may be inaccurate). Luckily, there hasn't been a case of a doctor being forced to decide who is going to be ventilated so far and some Italian and French patients were flown in to alleviate the stress on their health care system, it will still be rough for all of us.

kouroux

Fear I may have it. Have had a dry cough for 12 days now (self isolated immediately save grocery runs which I’m regretting now), recently got diarrhea and this dull pain in the chest (no breathing difficulty). Sense of taste and smell still there. No fever either
Damn, wishing you the best recovery man. Be well

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Hard to say while it is still spreading, but there are some data points which might explain the relatively low fatality numbers so far(though they are still going to be horrible). In terms of testing, 'we' appear to be more active than the other European countries, according to Politico() 200k test are done each week, compared to ~300k tests in Italy and ~90k tests in the UK so far in total. According to Prof Drosten, head of the centre for virology at the Charité, Germany has several advantages in regards to diagnostics, equipment and personnel with the necessary knowhow. Furthermore, Germany has more critical care beds/capita than the other european nations(https://i.redd.it/0fs0pfeocrm41.png) with roughly 29/100k compared to ~13 in Italy and ~6.5 in the UK(it is split between the 4 British nations, so that number may be inaccurate). Luckily, there hasn't been a case of a doctor being forced to decide who is going to be ventilated so far and some Italian and French patients were flown in to alleviate the stress on their health care system, it will still be rough for all of us.
The tests are pretty unreliable anyway so far, again it’s all a muddle of information, this virus has stealth on its side at every turn.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Once you start having difficulty breathing seek help.

Why? Nothing I've read says that being healthy and young makes you immune to die from this.
You are not immune but for a healthy 21 year old not employed in the medical profession to die from it would be a huge statistical outlier.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Except nobody believes China numbers including the Chinese so lets send a rumor this virus was created by the states. This pandemic was the wake up call for the west and China's growing will suffer in the future because I'm sure the west will move some important manufacturing back to the countries. Look to US with shortage of respirators, masks and ventilators, with Ford and Tesla making ventilators since they come from China and their government took over of any medical supplies made there.
Actually China's numbers are widely believed to be roughly accurate.

Adamsk7

Thing is, and I’m not saying it’s the case with this sad story, but “ no underlying conditions” doesn’t tell the story in the same way that “underlying conditions” doesn’t either.

I know plenty early 20’s who are binge drinkers, heavy smokers and have Maccy D’s more than five times a week. Plenty that do recreational drugs as well. What’s on the outside isn’t always what’s on the inside.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You are not immune but for a healthy 21 year old not employed in the medical profession to die from it would be a huge statistical outlier.
There will always be outliners, we have to go by the stats which say we need to prioritise the old and sick, if we start ventilating everyone the numbers of dead will accelerate massively.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Isn't viral load a factor here?
I only have a basic understanding of it so I dunno, maybe? I would have thought that as well as decreasing symptoms a lower viral load would also decrease shedding and the R0 would decrease. Is there some study or other that finds folk on the Diamond Princess were exposed to an abnormally large amount?

Moiraine

Me and my spouse had chest pain (in lungs area) and light fever. No coughing though but we still decided to stay at home for 10-12 days now. Just to be on the safe side, we did go outside in the car but stayed in the car, used gloves, didn’t touch anything and drove around the town to get fresh air.

Don’t know what it is but it’s not there anymore. Maybe just normal flu ...

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I heard Farmajo stopped the import of Kenyan khat. This plant is a certified drug everywhere else in the world except in Eastern Africa and Yemen. At least now in Djibouti there is a curfew, the army is present and people are put straight to jail if they are seen at night but I feel like it's too late.
Regarding the myths, you're unfortunately right, people think the sun/heat will protect them whereas they know Saudia Arabia is on lockdown, the Mekkah is on lockdown too. Many of them do not know about the concept "asymptomatic carrier", for them if you cough you are sick, if you don't then you are fine. Many pricks think they have a special protection from God and therefore they still have to pray in groups, they don't realize how selfish they are actually.
I didn't know that it was stopped in the South. Apparently the reason no one even tried to stop it in Somaliland is because doing so would cause war with the government and the sub-tribes of the main importers. A tribal cartel, basically. The myth I was referring to is the last one you mentioned. Some moronic preachers have been telling people that this disease is a curse from Allah to the Chinese for their treatment of Uighur people, and that Muslims are immune to it (presumably in this 'logic' Iranians get it because they are Shia, not Sunni). It's baffling that mosques would be open!

Last edited: