SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2475551/

On average, more than two new species of human virus are reported every year.

If we did that, we'd be in perpetual lockdown.
None have had nearly the same impact as this one and this had been known about for a couple of months at least before the world started to take it seriously. I would think that we would have a plan for a really dangerous virus to appear if we were keeping an eye on the emergence of new viruses.

mav_9me

How effective is ventilator treatment? Or is it mostly just keeping people alive while they fight the infection themselves? Is there an average time that people need to be on the vent?
You got it. It's a common but understandable misconception about ventilators. Ventilators don't treat. They are not treatment for the most part. (you can make some arguments in some cases) They support your breathing/respiratory system while you recover from your underlying illness.

We tend to keep patients on vents for 2-3 weeks while they get better. Problem is so many of these patients are not getting better and we don't really have anything to get them better. I am not hearing many cases of patients getting better enough to be taken off ventilators. Maybe it's just too early. We shall see.

Dante

Average bang
None have had nearly the same impact as this one and this had been known about for a couple of months at least before the world started to take it seriously. I would think that we would have a plan for a really dangerous virus to appear if we were keeping an eye on the emergence of new viruses.
Read the Twitter thread to understand why we didn't.

We were keeping an eye on the emergence of new viruses.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Agreed but from the local information in my county which I reckon would be mirrored throughout all the others the local AE departments are witnessing a large reduction in the walking wounded. Cannot help but think we have abused the NHS for far too long. Certainly it’s underfunded but it’s also true that if we get the slightest snivel these days it’s off to the GP and AE departments for antibiotics, sick note or reassurance.
No chance! Admissions are down because less people are driving, drinking and are not leaving the house.
I hope this doesn’t swing around to “we are abusing the NHS”. It has been underfunded. End of.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You're making absolutely no sense whatsoever. Do you have a link to this crackpot theory?
Too strong isn't the correct term but you don't want it to be overzealous. I have experienced it myself.

lewwoo

You fill in a form and carry photo ID. If you're stopped and things aren't in order, you get a heavy fine. I can tell you that it works, you second-guess every time you step outside your gate.
It is just taking a while for the admin side to filter through. People who are doing the food shop dont have any form of ID or proof they are on their way shopping or picking up meds etc. I stopped over 50 cars in my local area yesterday afternoon and each one gave one of the valid reasons for being out. Plus the paperwork for giving the fines hasn't been given to us yet in my area. Hopefully it will iron itself out over the next few days and the fact we are randomly stopping and challenging people will make some think twice .

stevoc

If one good thing comes out of this virus, it’s hopefully that the NHS becomes absolutely untouchable for the Tories and the need for public healthcare is cemented in the US.
People not continually voting in successive Tory governments would be a start.

Withnail

Too strong isn't the correct term but you don't want it to be overzealous. I have experienced it myself.
I don't believe you can take a supplement which will 'boost' your immune system and certainly not to the extent that it triggers an auto-immune response as described by the previous poster.

I'm not aware of any science to back this theory up which is why I was asking for a link.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
You got it. It's a common but understandable misconception about ventilators. Ventilators don't treat. They are not treatment for the most part. (you can make some arguments in some cases) They support your breathing/respiratory system while you recover from your underlying illness.

We tend to keep patients on vents for 2-3 weeks while they get better. Problem is so many of these patients are not getting better and we don't really have anything to get them better. I am not hearing many cases of patients getting better enough to be taken off ventilators. Maybe it's just too early. We shall see.

that's very worrying and must be frustrating knowing that you can't really do anything to help. Are the patients able to feed and go to the bathroom or are they so ill that they are totally bedridden?

JPRouve

Scout
I don't believe you can take a supplement which will 'boost' your immune system and certainly not to the extent that it triggers an auto-immune response as described by the previous poster.

I'm not aware of any science to back this theory up which is why I was asking for a link.
Which is something that @Cassidy already said, in the post that you quoted he was talking about the strength of an immune system in general. Supplements in isolation don't strengthen your immune system, your overall diet and it's balance will allow you to be healthier and help your immune system but that's an everyday thing and you aren't supposed to take supplements unless if for some reasons your body doesn't do it's job properly.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I never once said you could

Withnail

Which is something that @Cassidy already said, in the post that you quoted he was talking about the strength of an immune system in general. Supplements in isolation don't strengthen your immune system, your overall diet and it's balance will allow you to be healthier and help your immune system but that's an everyday thing and you aren't supposed to take supplements unless if for some reasons your body doesn't do it's job properly.
Yes exactly, but then how do you get from there to overstimulating your immune system and creating an auto-immune response, which you both seem to be suggesting is possible?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yes exactly, but then how do you get from there to overstimulating your immune system and creating an auto-immune response, which you both seem to be suggesting is possible?
No I made reference to a video in this thread which gave details about the adverse affects of an overstimulated immune system and coronavirus. I also stated that if it was beneficial for people to eat certain foods to boost their immune system then some medical expert in at least one of the leading nations would have already given this advice.

JPRouve

Scout
I did not suggest that though. I made the simple point that the immune system being strong wasn't an issue but being overzealous was.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
You fill in a form and carry photo ID. If you're stopped and things aren't in order, you get a heavy fine. I can tell you that it works, you second-guess every time you step outside your gate.
There is no official ID in the UK. Passports and driving licences are used as proxies, but not everyone has them.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
There is no official ID in the UK. Passports and driving licences are used as proxies, but not everyone has them.
Yes, I know that - I'm British too. Most old people have something, like a bus pass which has your photo on it.

This crisis has made me really come around to having ID. The Italian identity card acts as a kind of passport within the country, and you don't have to be an Italian citizen to get one - just officially resident.

Withnail

No I made reference to a video in this thread which gave details about the adverse affects of an overstimulated immune system and coronavirus. I also stated that if it was beneficial for people to eat certain foods to boost their immune system then some medical expert in at least one of the leading nations would have already given this advice.
That's the part that sounds dodgy to me.

I didn't see you state anything about the advice re benefits of eating certain foods.

I agree on the second point.
It's never been proven that eating or taking supplements (unless your deficient in a certain nutrient) boosts your immune system so I don't really think there's a danger you can overstimulate it. It sounded like scare mongering to me which is why I challenged it.

Granted I haven't see the video but sure I'll never find it in this bloody thread. :lol:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Yes, I know that - I'm British too. Most old people have something, like a bus pass which has your photo on it.

This crisis has made me really come around to having ID. The Italian identity card acts as a kind of passport within the country, and you don't have to be an Italian citizen to get one - just officially resident.
I've always believed in ID, and having to carry it, but in normal non-virus times I know very few on the Caf would agree with me.

Heardy

Agreed but from the local information in my county which I reckon would be mirrored throughout all the others the local AE departments are witnessing a large reduction in the walking wounded. Cannot help but think we have abused the NHS for far too long. Certainly it’s underfunded but it’s also true that if we get the slightest snivel these days it’s off to the GP and AE departments for antibiotics, sick note or reassurance.
Very good point! Again I absolutely do not want to see the NHS privatised but you wouldn’t get people taking the piss if there was a consultation fee on arrival at A&E! The public needs a better working knowledge on health and well-being.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Bit of a moot poll considering Labour effectively has no leader, no mandate and has been effectively invisible for the last 3 months.
Yep seen little of Corbyn and he obviously feels so irrelevant now. Just the timing of that poll after the corona three tested positive.
Next election so far away they will probably still get away with the shambolic herd approach.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
There is proof that vitamin c reduces the duration of the common cold though, so it's not a totally unfounded belief, and it certainly cant hurt you in any over the counter dosage.

I wonder how that intravenous vitamin c trial went in China. I haven't seen any results which probably means it didnt work.
I think vitamin c may be one of the most studied supplements. But still, what's the best published study you've seen for safety and effectiveness?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The WHO has repeatedly said that testing is the key.
The more you test the better they know this virus and the better the figures look.
Alas, in this country we have only just started testing in vast numbers which means our figures look better than what they are in terms of confirmed cases.
Germany has tested in vast numbers straight away, which gives their figure a true reflection.
Testing is only the 1st step. Its like a weighing machine. Tells me I am over-weight. Now what?

Containment is the key -- trace, track, map and isolate.

I think vitamin c may be one of the most studied supplements. But still, what's the best published study you've seen for safety and effectiveness?
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23440782/

It's quite well established that it does have at least some effect on a cold, particularly for people carrying out intense exercise (and therefore having a depleted immune respone).

The Chinese study was something like 25,000mg daily given intravenously to Covid patients, so way beyond anything you would normally see.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Only 135 people who tested positive for this in the UK recovered (15%). I understand that's people who have been tested and are likely to be the elderly but it's still quite scary.

Smores

Only 135 people who tested positive for this in the UK recovered (15%). I understand that's people who have been tested and are likely to be the elderly but it's still quite scary.
There's quite a long recovery time for the severely ill so those stats may just represent a bit of a lag on active cases. We should see a much higher percentage over the next few week hopefully.

arnie_ni

With the 13 or 14 percent daily increase in deaths worldwide by next sunday there'll between 72 and 75k deaths worldwide. Crazy

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
There's quite a long recovery time for the severely ill so those stats may just represent a bit of a lag on active cases. We should see a much higher percentage over the next few week hopefully.
That's true. Hopefully not the opposite for the thousands of mild active cases :(