SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Yik

The point would be limited, you mainly get infected through contact. People will have to take their masks off, to eat or drink or scratch their faces and will get pathogens in their mouth, eyes or nose by contact. You basically rely on the same factor, that people wash their hands regularly and don't touch their faces.
Yes thats true. I suppose its just my own pathological fear of being coughed on , on the London Underground which makes me think this would be a good idea.

Although I think its increasingly becoming obvious that the instructions issued to the public to avoid wearing masks (surgical or N95) was plainly suspect. Loads of research has come out saying it does help in slowing down transmission.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
To be honest I think the approach Sweden have taken is right given the information that's available.

It's not so much that "oh well a lot of these people are old or quite unwell so would probably die soon anyway"...it's more that there is actually very little reliable evidence to suggest the lockdown measures will actually save that many of those people, and no evidence at all that many of the ones it does save will not then be just as vulnerable due to the economic impact or impact of prolonged social isolation.

Lockdown is a pretty extreme measure with dire immediate situations for a lot of people and even worse longer reaching consequences, and it's all been done on some pretty baseless modelling and very basic science/maths. The slowing down the rate of infection thing makes sense, but the problem being if you are only testing people who are already ill, and don't know how long the virus has been in the open for, you have literally NO idea how many people already have it and have already passed it on, so no idea at what point you are starting that calculation from. After a time it becomes less and less effective if enough people arlready have it, and at a certain point it becomes fairly ineffective...and we have no idea. We might already have been at that stage a week ago. It's not a plan, it's a knee jerk reaction.

In this kind of situation we really should be modelling a strategy on what reliable information there is, not just doing things and hoping they work then changing our minds as we go.

Yik

They didn't want the public also stockpiling something which was more needed for frontline medical workers.
Decent article on this issue:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/cdc-masks-coronavirus.html

Obviously with the supply chain of such items being under severe pressure, its probably not practical at this stage for the UK for example to prioritise masks for the gen public when the NHS is facing shortages. However again, given that masks are incredibly cheap to procure, it does beggar belief why developed countries do not have larger stocks on hand for just such a pandemic. It would not cost billions thats for sure.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
So that table above. UK has added a thousand dead in just four days. From 759 to 1,789. It took 20 days to get to 759.

Fully Fledged

600,000 a year on average in the UK, so yeah, approx. 1500 /day. Obviously theY don’t all die on the same day though, and there’s just less deaths in the Summer, always.
Yeah I know it was based on an average. I should have put that but because the post I was quoting said it was an average I din't think I needed to say that it was 25% of a year on average day.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
My mum is Catholic so I know they’re not all bonkers.....though she definitely is :lol: :lol:
Income is a worry everywhere, but if he’s surviving on donations then he can ask for online donations maybe? I suspect, given the ‘virus-zapping machines, that he’s just bonkers
Not bonkers, just a con-artist.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Bloody hell. A more than 25% increase in the daily death rate.
No no no. You gotta find the numbers for total daily deaths, then covid 19 daily deaths. Then anything over 1500 is an increase. Doubt we are quite upto that 25% increase yet, unless 1500 died of something not related to covid 19.

Chances are, some of those who died due to covid 19 were likely to die soon due to health conditions, age, etc. Covid 19 may have just sped it up.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I realise this is the most first world of problems right now but are anyone else’s hands absolutely ruined at the moment?
I found out some days ago that I was intolerant to perfumed soap. My hands looked like an old mans hands with loads of pockholes and zits. And it itched like hell too. Bought perfume free soap and voila. Now my hands are getting back to normal again. Maybe the same with you so try perfume free soap.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Have to say I don’t really get these kind of posts. It comes across as some sort of weird ‘I told you so/bragging’ sort of thing. It’s as if some people on here can’t wait to read or post about a young person dying due to corona. We all get it, this thing is serious, it effects everyone one way or another. But it is a hardcore stone cold fact that it has very little/no effect on the majority of young, fit and healthy people bar the odd exceptions. Waiting for the one in a million young person it effects and then engaging in this weird ‘I told you so’ warning is just really fecking weird.
A young kid dies and people on the internet just want to use it in some strange point scoring exercise.
Exactly this. Everyone understands 0.1% = somebody.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I really don’t think we will loosen up anything before vaccine.
Even in the event that a vaccine is created and fast tracked by early 2021 (which is far from sure) testing, approval, manufacturing, distribution and administering it to people on the scale required could take far longer. So I very much doubt many if any countries will be on full lock down for that long.

Fully Fledged

No no no. You gotta find the numbers for total daily deaths, then covid 19 daily deaths. Then anything over 1500 is an increase. Doubt we are quite upto that 25% increase yet, unless 1500 died of something not related to covid 19.

Chances are, some of those who died due to covid 19 were likely to die soon due to health conditions, age, etc. Covid 19 may have just sped it up.
1500 is an average day in an average year.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Even in the event that a vaccine is created and fast tracked by early 2021 (which is far from sure) testing, approval, manufacturing, distribution and administering it to people on the scale required could take far longer. So I very much doubt many if any countries will be on full lock down for that long.
Isn't this what the herd immunity is partially about though? Lockdown is to stop the current spread rate, by time the vaccine is out herd immunity would have a lot of people who already had it and have the immune system / antibodies to fight it off a 2nd time so the amount of people to be vaccinated would be much less and easier to cope with the demand.

Lockdown till it's all over isn't feasible. Loads of reasons stated in here, the deaths from a recession would outweigh the deaths from the virus...

Or am I understanding this wrong?

Lockdown then vaccinate everyone isn't gonna happen.

Yik

Based on Imperial College's modelling, there will be a surge once the lockdown winds down (assuming the suppression/social distancing lasts until September). We obviously won't have a a vaccine out in Nov/Dec 2020 so the only thing we can hope for is a better treatment/more ventilators being online plus more field hospital in place.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not sure if it's posted yet: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30243-7/fulltext

TLDR; the new estimated death rate for this virus is 0.66%. This is about 6.6 times higher than the death rate of regular flu. For young people it's significantly lower, for old people significantly higher.
That would be good news if it turns out to be accurate (less than the initial low end estimates of 1% or more) but of course even lower would be better.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
No, the 1789 are from the hospitalized population.

Thanks, just got in from work and came to the thread, haven't seen all the graphs and that yet. They did expect a spike around now though due to mothers day the other week? Start or this week to end of this week was "peak time" ?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Based on Imperial College's modelling, there will be a surge once the lockdown winds down (assuming the suppression/social distancing lasts until September). We obviously won't have a a vaccine out in Nov/Dec 2020 so the only thing we can hope for is a better treatment/more ventilators being online plus more field hospital in place.
I think some level of restrictions will have to remain to keep the post lock-down spike to a minimum. I also imagine face masks, social distancing and better hygiene won't disappear overnight no matter what the regulations.

I wonder if a law that requires you to wear a face mask if you are sick could be enforced when this all settles down and they are available again?

Agreed about the vaccine. I'd say that if we had a vaccine that has been administered to much of the world by late 2021 would be impressive much less late 2020.

The Firestarter

We are a joke of a country for allowing this*...

https://thehill.com/regulation/cour...tening-to-fire-workers-for-speaking-out-about

Hospitals threatening to fire workers for speaking out about coronavirus shortages: report

At least two health care workers have been fired after speaking out about the need for more coronavirus tests and protective equipment as hospitals across the country warn doctors and nurses not to publicize pandemic-fueled shortages of medical supplies.

An emergency room doctor in Washington state was fired last week after criticizing working conditions at his hospital where he had worked for 17 years, and a Chicago nurse was fired after warning colleagues their assigned masks offered inadequate protection against coronavirus, according to reports.

“Nurses and other health care workers are being muzzled in an attempt by hospitals to preserve their image,” said Ruth Schubert, a spokesperson for the Washington State Nurses Association. “No health care worker should face being disciplined or fired for speaking the truth.”

*among other things
Couldn't form a coherent comment about this in 30 seconds....

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah, but 300/400 covid 19 deaths in one day doesn't mean that's a 25% increase to that number. Some of those deaths would have naturally happened, virus or not?
But it will be very close to 25% as very few of that 300/400 would have died today otherwise. There might be a few who already died of Covid who would have died today of other things and there may be 1 or 2 who would have died today of their underlying conditions so perhaps the overall increase is very slightly less than 25%. I have seen people wanting to exclude people who would have died of something else in the future from the figures but that is irrelevant as it will only reduce the number of deaths on the day they would have died by 1 at some point in the future.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not sure if it's posted yet: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30243-7/fulltext

TLDR; the new estimated death rate for this virus is 0.66%. This is about 6.6 times higher than the death rate of regular flu. For young people it's significantly lower, for old people significantly higher.
They actually give a case fatality ratio (CFR) of 1.38. Which is 14 times higher than seasonal influenza. Good to see though. The worldometer data on closed cases (i.e. dead vs confirmed recovered) has been getting higher and higher. Currently almost 20%. Which is fecking scary.

The 0.66% is “infection fatality ratio” which seems to use some statistical jiggery pokery to estimate cases that aren’t confirmed. I’ve never seen an equivalent figure for flu.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's a standard method in science, statistics and maths, nothing to do with the internet or agendas.

The graph's curves are used to see patterns like does one person infect one person on average or three, and what is the timeline - are cases doubling every two days or every five, and so on. It might not make a lot of instant sense to everyone outside the science audience (who use it when talking about models and trends) but it's not a trick.
I was just thinking what it would look like on a linear graph - lots of lines with all countries going almost straight up I'd assume.

Yik

I think some level of restrictions will have to remain to keep the post lock-down spike to a minimum. I also imagine face masks, social distancing and better hygiene won't disappear overnight no matter what the regulations.

I wonder if a law that requires you to wear a face mask if you are sick could be enforced when this all settles down and they are available again?

Agreed about the vaccine. I'd say that if we had a vaccine that has been administered to much of the world by late 2021 would be impressive much less late 2020.
This is the study btw:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196234/covid-19-imperial-researchers-model-likely-impact/

I'm not quite sure why they assumed that restrictions will just end and things will go back to normal after a certain time. Think that might be the subject of another report they come out with? But it definitely would be a gradual easing up of restriction rather than a free for all. I think the most important thing is just society's fatigue with all this. Even 6 months is a massive ask for the current restrictions we have. Perhaps an end to the stay at home except for the people who most need it for their safety but you'd have to imagine they wouldn't open up pubs again or sport.

Regarding the masks thing, I'm not sure if they'd really police that. But there are similar mesures in the Coronavirus bill thats being proposed, not sure if its been passed yet does contain some fairly draconian measures with regard to policing the sick. Whether they actually enforce those measures remains to be seen but its definitely part of the governments agenda.

Again, though I find it a bit strange why this report seemingly glosses over the aftermath of the initial suppression. The graph clearly suggests it would only buy time and nothing else.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
@Yik I've used a very similar one in army and trust me you don't want to wear it for long, I've spent 24 hours in one on a nuclear/bio excersize and it was horrible.

Yik

@Yik I've used a very similar one in army and trust me you don't want to wear it for long, I've spent 24 hours in one on a nuclear/bio excersize and it was horrible.
Shush you! I was looking forward to seeing this on my streets, Blitz spirit and all that! :wenger:

Skills

Snitch
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/415378

Of 369 SARS survivors, 233 (63.1%) participated in the study (mean period of time after SARS, 41.3 months). Over 40% of the respondents had active psychiatric illnesses, 40.3% reported a chronic fatigue problem, and 27.1% met the modified 1994 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome.
For anyone thinking it's just a good idea to just get it for the sake of herd immunity. It's a novel disease, we haven't got a clue what the long term effects of this disease are yet but if they're anything like the original SARS outbreak they're horrific. Even milder forms of permanent lung damage/scarring will be life changing for most young people.

We're years away from finding out what this will mean long term, but I'd much rather be in the group to have never got it.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Yes but NBC exercises require constant use. Presumably in his plan (daft as it is) you could take it off at times. I can remember trying to drink with my NBC mask on. It was fecking ridiculous hooking the pipe up from the mask to my water bottle.

Fully Fledged

Yeah, but 300/400 covid 19 deaths in one day doesn't mean that's a 25% increase to that number. Some of those deaths would have naturally happened, virus or not?
Last year in week 14 there were an estimated 10126 all-cause deaths. You divide that by 7 you get 1446.5 so if other deaths replicate last year which is a stretch then 393 on top of that would be a 27% giving a margin of people who would have died on the same day regardless of whether they got Covid19 or not.
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/weekly-all-cause-mortality-surveillance-2018-to-2019

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Mid 2021 at earliest. I guess countries who are prepared to have a lot of sick people can start getting out of lockdowns around the second half of this year. Poland will not be one of them, I don’t expect us to get back to normal this year at all. We are barely prepared for 300 cases a day.

I don’t really think there will be a choice.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Why is everyone so aggressive on here?

I'm not bothered I didn't understand it, I held my hands up on the very first reply to me that I had misinterpreted it, perhaps you should take the time to actually read the conversation, rather than ploughing in with insults.

As I've stated, the graph is valid, but when it is being used on twitter and football forums it needs more explanation, the size of the thread is irrelevant. 99% of people won't understand it, I've studied stats, and still misinterpreted it.

Most people will glance at it, and get the wrong end of the stick, it is irresponsible or misleading. Your average Joe doesn't know what a log scale axis is, in fact to a good majority on here, that sentence may as well be foreign.

Anyone that shares information, anywhere, should be aware of their audience.

I couldn't give two hoots that I didn't understand it, in fact that is exactly the issue, most people won't understand it, and that causes a big problem. When information is being shared to the masses, but they don't understand it, surely you can see how that can be a problem?

Someone above said either learn or don't comment. Sadly that means that most people won't comment, and will either have no idea what the graph means, or will misinterpret it. Neither of which is useful.
We are all stressed I think is the answer. I know I'm not managing my stress that well.

I didn't think your original post deserved more than someone saying why log scales were used and I think under normal circumstances that is what would have happened.

So lets all let this lie and carry on shall we (that was directed to everyone BTW)?