SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It boils down to chance of survival, i.e., chance of benefitting from it (and age and preexisting conditions are a major factor in that, albeit not the only ones). In some ICUs mortality is 50%, they can probably lower it with more accurate choices.
Sucks to be 65 with a pre-existing condition :(

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
If you sneeze in the mask and you are infected, that mask still won't stop all virus particles simply because it doesn't have the adequate filter for that and I might still get infected if you are close enough(with or without mask) or in a closed space. This is what I'm saying.
Obviously it's not a full solution, but it reduces the spread of the virus. If I'm wearing one and you're wearing one, or even if just one of us is, then it's much better than both of us wearing none. Moreover, how sick you get from the virus depends on how much of the virus gets in your system initially (aka the viral load), according to studies. So even if it doesn't stop 100% of the particles, a reduction in how much of the virus you start with is quite good.

0le

This video is from South Korea and they explain why using a mask is important.
Interesting video, lots of very informative points!

Regarding the masks, the most important take home point for me was that the general public in Korea have access to N95 equivalent masks. In Europe and the USA, there has been a lot of talk of using just home made cloths which isn't the same. He didn't really touch upon this part of the debate about the use of home made masks.

He emphasies the fact these Asian countries also have experience with dealing with outbreaks and a different culture. I think this needs to continually be stressed.

He says early in the video you need a mask for indoors but not really for ourdoors. So it is quite surprising that neither of them are wearing a mask!

Finally, I thought it was odd that he seemed to imply transmission from sneezing/coughing is one mechanism, transmission from indirect contact with surfaces is another and then the third was "aerosol transmission" from breathing. I don't see why you would separate out sneezing/coughing and breathing - the physics are studied in a similar way and are pretty similar except for the initial droplet size and velocity distributions. Again, saying water droplets in air are "light" is incorrect terminolgy. Also saying droplets are anything > 5 micron is incorrect. But this last paragraph is me just being pedantic.

Rooney1987

My local tescos has made the entire store one way and blocked off certain entrances to aisles. Literally the most stupid thing going as it just forces everyone to go into the same spaces to navigate the store. Also makes doing the shop an absolute ballache and much longer than it should.
My local Tesco Express did same thing. It's also a petrol station, with the 2 metre queuing rule, the 1 way rule and blocking off half the shop. It made it so much worse.

justboy68

We've just had a 3 minute's silence here, for the Qingming festival (清明节). A day where China remembers it's dead, a tradition going back over 2500 years! This year definitely more poignant than most.

I think I didn't put it correctly in the first place. The big issue with this virus is how contagious it is, how long it stays in the body and also how easy it is to catch it.

When 80% of the confirmed cases show some mild to moderate symptoms I think it's fairly safe to assume that most likely the reported, confirmed cases are a lot lower than the actual numbers of affected people. For example if you already have recovered from the virus your test will be negative and those medical workers that are exposed to it on the frontline on daily basis most likely have all gotten it and large part have recovered from it without being confirmed - as they didn't show symptoms and there is global shortage of tests to do them on daily basis. Anyhow the main topic was how surgical masks protect you and I think we're deviating from it here.
It's been a long thread and I've definitely glossed over some of it, so apologies if I'm mistaken, but is that really what the majority of discussion is about? How the masks protect 'you' the wearer? Because I thought the main arguments in favour of masks were more about how masks can help mitigate community spread? At least that is the argument that makes most logical sense to me and is at least one of the main points proponents of mask wearing have put forward here. After all asymptomatic spread is a feature of this virus. I think this difference may lie at the centre of some misunderstandings or disagreements on the topic.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's been a long thread and I've definitely glossed over some of it, so apologies if I'm mistaken, but is that really what the majority of discussion is about? How the masks protect 'you' the wearer? Because I thought the main arguments in favour of masks were more about how masks can help mitigate community spread? At least that is the argument that makes most logical sense to me and is at least one of the main points proponents of mask wearing have put forward here. After all asymptomatic spread is a feature of this virus. I think this difference may lie at the centre of some misunderstandings or disagreements on the topic.
Agreed. With the lack of testing in US, you don't know if you're infected or not. Also, although a non-N95 mask is not 100% filter out the virus when an infected person coughing, but it reduces the amount of virus loaded droplets coming out to the open air.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

0le

Also, although a non-N95 mask is not 100% filter out the virus when an infected person coughing, but it reduces the amount of virus loaded droplets coming out to the open air.
Masks can have one or two purposes:
- Surgical masks can prevent exhaling of droplets back into the atmosphere.
- Respirators e.g. N95 or FPP2/3 masks, can prevent both exhaling of droplets back into the atmosphere and inhalation of droplets.

You can limit the spread of infection by asking the entire population to wear surgical masks, which would capture the droplets as the individual exhales because this is what they were designed to do (see wiki):
A surgical mask, also known as a procedure mask, medical mask or simply as a face mask,[1][2] is intended to be worn by health professionals during surgery and during nursing to catch the bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose.
Absolutely no one disputes this. The problem in the UK, US and other European countries is that the N95 masks or equivalent as well as the surgical masks are in short supply. So you can't roll them out to the general public - they must be given to health professionals first. Everyone agrees with this point.

You then find yourself in a situation where people are advocating for home made masks, which haven't been tested and no one knows for sure how effective they are in the real world. You could say "well feck it, I'll wear it anyway" which is certainly your right. But there are issues that have been raised in the thread already about using masks for both of the properly designed masks and home made masks. These issues should be recognised by any individual who wishes to wear a mask. They aren't there to say "no", but just serve more as a warning so you don't suddenly have a false sense of security.

Revan

Assumptionman
In a new report from Imperial College, the Corona virus is estimated to be 6.6 times more deadly than the flu. This means that 0.66% of people infected (included those with no symptoms) will die, which is a significant lower death rate than first feared. The chance to die rapidly raises with age, however, and among those older then 80, the death rate is estimated to be 13.4%, and 8.6% in the age group 70-79.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30243-7/fulltext

The study correlates with another study from Harvard:

https://files.springernature.com/getResource/Full Text: 41591_2020_822_OnlinePDF.pdf?token=IULUvIufpS8AXE43riPpExKrcZMUcwpHIO0w4yhOno61RnG9Vz6/r7GCrI5AcBi92o1n3tikPjKFkiYotkHNpNM75Zwrwg1JnULfD6ql3lY/TN4C+tSUJX6hWRxjtkieuCh/Z3DLB4IVSRfpmhKqIHSwpUmbbYFF3+XBCd0RJqJtTmkkeZAHqNP4llU3+dPo6R1Se4bGQnT7HNP7lnlhp40M0VnqSPp7kwO/uk2bUqy4COccDRtTVCPDgs7U4YSWU2eA4U40nO1peLgyinFGPd3/HIjGuWHdtUJrsgreM1haTKxnHnehRLWlPX4GFr8c6Vbi+yE4hgPzCu7ffaQiUg==
0.66% is worse than I thought. I think the best data we have are those from Iceland (0.3%) * and from Diamond Princess (1.5%). Iceland has the highest per capita testing, and they have done an almost religious contact tracing, so their data should be very good. The main problem is that there are just a bit more than 1k infected, and only 4 deaths, so there should be more needed data to know the truth. The Diamond Princess has also good data (for sure everyone who had the virus got diagnosed), but the distribution is very skewed (with much more 70+ people being than in the world, and much less 40- people than in the world, and those 0-10y.o. (who have the highest probability of surviving) being almost absent.

I think we won't know the true mortality rate for a while (and a lot depends on how well the medical system is working), but I wouldn't be surprised if it is lower than 0.5% (heck, it could be even lower than Iceland's considering that even with large testings, there are people who will be missed). However, 0.3% (or even if we go as low as flu, 0.1% which is extremely optimistic) is still extremely serious considering how much more contagious this virus is compared to influenza viruses that attack humans. And if it is anything like SARS, it will leave some survivors with lifelong consequences and make their remaining part of their lives miserable.

* There are 12 people in serious/critical stage, so they may still die, and increase the fatality rate. At worst case, it can go to 1.1%, though that is extremely pessimistic. There are also some other people who are not yet in serious/critical stage, but can reach that stage (and consequently death) in the future. Still, I would like to think that the true mortality rate is no higher than 0.5%, and hopefully only half as much.

bonothom

How the feck did Charlie recover so quickly?
Mild case, probably got infection from touching infected surface. Viral load is the reason for more serious infections. The more virus that first infects the host, the more serious the illness. It overwhelms the immune system. That's why Doctors and nurses are losing their lives as they get more exposure.

justboy68

- Respirators e.g. N95 or FPP2/3 masks, can prevent both exhaling of droplets back into the atmosphere and inhalation of droplets.

You can limit the spread of infection by asking the entire population to wear surgical masks, which would capture the droplets as the individual exhales because this is what they were designed to do (see wiki):

Absolutely no one disputes this. The problem in the UK, US and other European countries is that the N95 masks or equivalent as well as the surgical masks are in short supply. So you can't roll them out to the general public - they must be given to health professionals first. Everyone agrees with this point.

You then find yourself in a situation where people are advocating for home made masks, which haven't been tested and no one knows for sure how effective they are in the real world. You could say "well feck it, I'll wear it anyway" which is certainly your right. But there are issues that have been raised in the thread already about using masks for both of the properly designed masks and home made masks. These issues should be recognised by any individual who wishes to wear a mask. They aren't there to say "no", but just serve more as a warning so you don't suddenly have a false sense of security.
I don't think the bolded part is true at all to be honest. I'm sure we've all heard and read lots of people arguing 'masks don't really work', who perhaps haven't considered the first purpose of a mask that you outline. For example, people in this thread have been downplaying the role played by masks in South Korea's ability to contain the spread of the virus. If the bolded point were undisputed knowledge then that wouldn't be the case.

Lj82

Yeah I was going to say historically and was thinking more Beijing and Shanghai tbh. Apart from the white out ruining your photos at Victoria Peak in Hong Kong, never had any particular pollution issues in Asia.
But my experience in China is also that they don't have a mask wearing culture. I always look like the odd one out when wearing my mask on heavy polluted days.

This time round, I think it was simply the government mandating that they wear mask when out of their homes

0le

I don't think the bolded part is true at all to be honest. I'm sure we've all heard and read lots of people arguing 'masks don't really work', who perhaps haven't considered the first purpose of a mask that you outline. For example, people in this thread have been downplaying the role played by masks in South Korea's ability to contain the spread of the virus. If the bolded point were undisputed knowledge then that wouldn't be the case.
Surgical masks are designed to catch droplets you exhale. If everyone wore them, then you could in theory limit (not eliminate but limit or reduce) the spread. The issue is that it isn't practical for the reasons I then outlined as well as other issues which have already been discussed quite a bit now. These include not wearing the mask properly, not taking them off properly, wearing them for too long etc.

The downplaying of the role of the masks by others is not to say the masks were completely ineffective but rather that it is a combination of things that prevents the spread, not just the masks alone.

Bojan11

Cant get close to imagining suffering the boy went through alone, and the suffering his parents are going through now, and in years to come.
May he rest in peace, and may his parents also find peace. Amin.
Sadly the family also lost their father a few months ago due to cancer.

There was a gofund that raised £70k, I think it’s not taking any more donations. Hopefully they open it up again.

0le

In case you are interested in what happens when a droplet impacts on a dry surface, from the review by Yarin, there are several different outcomes, distinguished by one row each (where each row goes from left to right):

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Thanks for the info. Imho with home made masks, even a 50% drop of droplets when exhaling, it's still much better than none. I think we all should do our part as much as we can.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
If that article ever gets out, I guarantee you that Trump will use that as proof that Obama started the pandemic just to make Trump look bad. The projected progression is just eerily too similar to reality like it was all planned out.
Obama’s administration didn’t do anything to prevent any pandemic and before him the Bush’s and Clinton the same, since the cold war was over United States and allies just sat on top of their hands and today besides SK, and Japan none were prepared for this. 3M largest factory is in China and is not allowed to sale anything to US and I’m sure a few european countries are in the same boat, we learned a very important lesson ...we cannot let our industries outsource everything to another country. This pandemic could be our future salvation in case of a virus that spreads like this one but with a mortality of ebola we should be prepared then...I hope.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The way i see it. It's better than none. Just dont take it as 100 percent safe.

But you know letting commoners with common sense is never gonna work.
It's not just about commoner, but there's not much suitable mask available out there.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not sure if this has been posted but it is extremely positive news.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab-c-955457

Significant reduction in 24 hrs with complete elimination in 48 hrs is extremely promising.
That it can move straight to human trials is potentially very important in that if there is a safe dosage that will kill Covid in humans can be known quickly. Fingers crossed.

Another good news is coming out of China about asymptomatic cases being 80% of the cases.

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj...ampaign=usage&utm_content=daily&utm_term=text
I think those figures need to be treated with extreme caution. The majority of those people are probably not asymptomatic but pre-symptomatic when they take the test. They may then get mild or severe symptoms later. Truly asymptomatic people will, in the majority, get it and recover without knowing it and without being tested. An antigen test at a later date will be the way to confirm this, but we won't know yet.

Revan

Assumptionman
That it can move straight to human trials is potentially very important in that if there is a safe dosage that will kill Covid in humans can be known quickly. Fingers crossed.

I think those figures need to be treated with extreme caution. The majority of those people are probably not asymptomatic but pre-symptomatic when they take the test. They may then get mild or severe symptoms later. Truly asymptomatic people will, in the majority, get it and recover without knowing it and without being tested. An antigen test at a later date will be the way to confirm this, but we won't know yet.
Indeed. The tests are from 1st of April, so plenty of time for some of them to get symptoms later. If another two weeks pass and they don't get symptoms, then that is really huge news.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
My local tescos has made the entire store one way and blocked off certain entrances to aisles. Literally the most stupid thing going as it just forces everyone to go into the same spaces to navigate the store. Also makes doing the shop an absolute ballache and much longer than it should.
Make a list, get your essentials then get the feck back home.

People meandering back up and down the aisles pisses me off at the best of times, I wish all supermarkets were "one-way".

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
This mask stuff is about to do my head in.

I don’t even know if I should be wearing gloves at this point, but if I go get food without either it feels like people will be looking at me like I am a danger to society.
Wear gloves if you have them. Wear a mask if you have it. Use sanitiser when you're out if you have it. I have only one mask, I've been using it for whole of the time here in Italy. I come back from the shop, I hang it outside in the fresh air for a few hours then I bring it back in. I don't use it every day.

There's no point members of the public debating the finer points of mask-wearing, as you can't get enough to be able to throw them away every time you use them and the health staff need the best ones. Everyone I see is wearing something over their nose and mouth, be it a tatty mask or a scarf.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

fergosaurus

Assuming there is no structural damage to the mask, can you keep reusing it without washing as long as you leave it for a certain amount of days between use, until the virus dies?

EDIT never mind, just saw @Penna's post above that answers my question :)

Wolverine

Stand 2 metres apart (more if possible) and cough into your elbow if you feel one coming on.
With what we know of novel coronavirus that should suffice. Its conjecture how much they prevent community spread. Social isolation and distancing will prevent this thing way more than mass mask-wearing will, what effect that has is variable (depends on the person, adherence, ensuring that mask itself doesn't serve as a vector and is replaced - as they have a short shelf-life)
I haven't seen many doctors in the UK talk about lack of population-level mass mask-wearing as a significant contributor to or exacerbating feature of this pandemic

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There are many conflicting reports, but so far no one has come out with definite evidence of how long in can live on metal and damp surfaces as we don't have that many tests and information.

By the look of it China has contained it and not many reports of newly registered cases (however I'd take that with a pinch of salt) and whilst the risk of contamination of the products might be really low(or maybe non-existent) the quality control is very poor, especially when you consider the high demand and the little to no time those masks needs to be manufactured, sealed and shipped.

Generally it's advisable to buy masks that are imported from the government at batches so if they are crap you at least can regulate and stop the distribution right away, rather than buy it from unknown sources and distribute it to friends/family, etc.
Dont trust chinese data alone. But they're in common with japan singapore south South Korea, those countries that take their government seriously.

Singapore, south korea, japan, german, countries that's well known to be efficient with their job too posting a better number.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Assuming there is no structural damage to the mask, can you keep reusing it without washing as long as you leave it for a certain amount of days between use, until the virus dies?

EDIT never mind, just saw @Penna's post above that answers my question :)
It's just a case of making do - I wouldn't normally ever recycle a mask in that way!

fergosaurus

It's just a case of making do - I wouldn't normally ever recycle a mask in that way!
Yeah, better than nothing I'm sure. I have an old one around the house in good nick which will do me for the limited times I have to venture out. I have ordered a few more from China which are probably fake but will at least offer some protection hopefully.

Bestie07

Am reading that Ivermectin killed 99.8% of the virus within 48 hours in the lab (not tested in humans yet). Is this something to get excited about or far too early still? Have other drugs also shown similar results in the lab?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

It's the widely accepted number from most studies that 80% of the people show mild symptoms and never know they are infected.

I didn't quite understand your second question, though, sorry.
I suspected the number of asymptotic people were quite high ever since the Valencia squad got their results back. I know they went to Milan (to play Atalanta) but still for 35% of a squad previously showing no symptoms to have it is pretty damm high!

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Am reading that Ivermectin killed 99.8% of the virus within 48 hours in the lab (not tested in humans yet). Is this something to get excited about or far too early still? Have other drugs also shown similar results in the lab?
Many things can kill the virus outside of a host. Hopefully something like this works but I'm not counting on it.