SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I feel very sorry for couples with children that are separated, but allowing a child to go from one household to another is ridiculous
I agree. Me and my Mrs both have children from our previous marriages that we have 50/50!with our exes and have down for over 10 years. We decided straight away to leave them where they are. We’ve not seen them now since the week before lockdown.

It’s very hard and we miss them but it’s a no brainier to us. They could either come here with the virus or leave here with it.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Deaths are hovering around a hundred per day. Not ideal but, considering the number infected, it's not exactly an alarming mortality rate. In terms of tests, it's done more than countries such as Spain, France and the UK, nations with notably higher mortality rates.

Syrians receive regular money and have access to free healthcare here, so your doubts aren't correct on that one. In fact, if they arrive at a hospital, they're to be seen before anybody else. That would have people frothing at the mouth elsewhere but they're treated pretty well. I don't know why people imagine they're just left to wander around and have no means to support themselves.

All in all, a lot of work to be done, and a population of 80 million will inevitably experience more deaths, but the health service and general public are doing a decent enough job so far.

Glad to hear that. Of course that was made in assumptions but specially on the raising numbers specially

On one of the assumptions, trying to make it more real, Turkey only slightly above than France

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109066/coronavirus-testing-in-europe-by-country/

On the refugees, of course they are not wandering, but they will have more struggles than a regular turkish to have access to everything. Also, and that is another assumption, probably they live more people together as a family in a household than the average turkish

And I am sure turkey is doing as good as anyone else, but this didn't guarantee other countries having the disaster that they are living.

When I am saying that is looking worrisome is because of what you said. Is a country with 80 million, Istambul 16 millions in some places probably not as dense as Barcelona (the most dense in europe) and Madrid but quite packed in some areas as any medieval historical city centre in europe. and the infected numbers will surpass Iran and China next week and will be tailing UK

onemanarmy

@Classical Mechanic This was just confirmed on Belgian news. Comparison between Belgium and the Netherlands

Current deaths
BE: 3600
NL: 2740

IF both countries would have the same way of registring COVID-19 deaths:

BE: 1900

So we really should stop comparing between countries, it's impossible. The curve in my country has flattened, that's the most important thing. Less people on ICU, less people in hospitals and less daily new cases.

Stactix

Recently had an argument with some absoulte spanner on reddit, kept trying to paint me as a Trump supporter because I agreed with lockdowns.. His last message, making up so much horseshite, I guess this guys a far lefty.. the Italian stuff made me laugh..Got a little heated as I've lost someone recently wasn't close to them but they were found dead in their apartment found out from a news story.

"This is what confuses me. You hate Trump, you hate Boris, but you want them to run your life for you. You say they're evil and racist, but you want them to tell you where to go and when to go there. You say Trump and Boris are incompetent leaders that shouldn't be allowed to lead, but you want to give them more and more power.
Italy has 400 ventilators in the entire country, and none of them were up north where the old people lived in remote villages without access to modern hospitals. Seems a little disingenuous to compare their health outcomes to those of the US.
China is a third world country. All of their hospitals are temporary, so, yea, that does sound like a bad flu season in China."

redshaw

@Classical Mechanic This was just confirmed on Belgian news. Comparison between Belgium and the Netherlands

Current deaths

So we really should stop comparing between countries, it's impossible. The curve in my country has flattened, that's the most important thing. Less people on ICU, less people in hospitals and less daily new cases.
I read recently a delay for a recent daily announcement in Belgium was due to the care home deaths calculation being late or something and was surprised to read they include it, I guess that is correct then and does shed light on the high numbers per head in Belgium?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Recently had an argument with some absoulte spanner on reddit, kept trying to paint me as a Trump supporter because I agreed with lockdowns.. His last message, making up so much horseshite, I guess this guys a far lefty.. the Italian stuff made me laugh..Got a little heated as I've lost someone recently wasn't close to them but they were found dead in their apartment found out from a news story.

"This is what confuses me. You hate Trump, you hate Boris, but you want them to run your life for you. You say they're evil and racist, but you want them to tell you where to go and when to go there. You say Trump and Boris are incompetent leaders that shouldn't be allowed to lead, but you want to give them more and more power.
Italy has 400 ventilators in the entire country, and none of them were up north where the old people lived in remote villages without access to modern hospitals. Seems a little disingenuous to compare their health outcomes to those of the US.
China is a third world country. All of their hospitals are temporary, so, yea, that does sound like a bad flu season in China."
Who told you/him that?

Stactix

Who told you that?
Some spanner on reddit quoted bit is his last message.. Seems to be a butthurt he can't go to the playarea I guess?
Just goes to show some people are still in complete delusions..

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Some spanner on reddit quoted bit is his last message.. Seems to be a butthurt he can't go to the playarea I guess?
I think that is just an idiot, I was so confused by the part that I bolded that I missed the last sentence. Do people actually think that China is a "third world country"? China is closer to the US than any other country with a mix of extremely developed regions like Wuhan and some properly rural/wild areas, the north west of the country being an example.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I think that is just an idiot, I was so confused by the part that I bolded that I missed the last sentence. Do people actually think that China is a "third world country"? China is closer to the US than any other country with a mix of extremely developed regions like Wuhan and some properly rural/wild areas, the north west of the country being an example.
Reddit is full of morons.

onemanarmy

I read recently a delay for a recent daily announcement in Belgium was due to the care home deaths calculation being late or something and was surprised to read they include it, I guess that is correct then and does shed light on the high numbers per head in Belgium?
Unfortunatly, 73% of all deaths appear in nursing/care homes at the moment in Belgium. So when these are included, and in other countries not, you get a very distorted picture.

Adamsk7

Some really positive numbers from Europe with the exception of the UK. It seems we’re finally starting to see the effect of the lockdown.

Turkey looks like it’ll be a new epicentre soon enough.

AneRu

Here in South Africa before the virus put us on a 3-week lockdown which has since been increased by another 2 weeks we already were in a recession, compounded with being dropped into Junk status. Our unemployment rate was around 30% and a lot of people depend on day to day jobs to survive. People dig through our dustbins to get the plastic bottles so they can survive. The economic issues that most 1st world countries have thrown money cannot be done over here people over here face the very real threat of starving to death. Already made me chuckle people priorities 4 bottle stores have been looted because of the ban of smokes and booze sales. If this lockdown continues longer than the 5 weeks I really can see social unrest starting to rear its ugly head. Already my son's nursery school teacher has lost her job not 2 weeks into lockdown. Crazy times.
Here north of the Limpopo we are staring down the barrel of a gun, literally. The government doesn't really and even if it did they have very limited scope to intervene due to decades of economic mismanagement and a debilitating political impasse.

The response by the government has been nothing short of pathetic, we have tested just 540 odd people for the 14 positive cases we have. A lockdown was declared but with little accompanying social security measures for the vulnerable.

Years of drought and decline in agriculture due to the land grabs have led to massive food shortages. This makes social distancing impossible because mealie meal is in short supply so people have to queue for hours for it.

Unemployment is over 90% so people live from hand to mouth with little to no savings. This means that when the lockdown was declared a couple of weeks back the poor couldn't afford to stock up on food and other supplies. Now they aren't earning any money at all but they can't really afford to stay home and starve to death.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsday.co.zw/2020/04/covid-19-govt-bungling-exposed/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th.../05/covid-19-struck-family-speaks-ordeal/amp/

The public health system has been run down by decades of unbridled looting and corruption whilst there is a general mistrust between the government and the medics. The conditions for a perfect storm are all there in Zimbabwe with about 12% of the population living with HIV whilst a sizable has hypertension, diabetes (my sister and I included) etc.

State failure and Coronavirus could tip Zimbabwe over the edge.

Fener1907

Glad to hear that. Of course that was made in assumptions but specially on the raising numbers specially

On one of the assumptions, trying to make it more real, Turkey only slightly above than France

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109066/coronavirus-testing-in-europe-by-country/

On the refugees, of course they are not wandering, but they will have more struggles than a regular turkish to have access to everything. Also, and that is another assumption, probably they live more people together as a family in a household than the average turkish

And I am sure turkey is doing as good as anyone else, but this didn't guarantee other countries having the disaster that they are living.

When I am saying that is looking worrisome is because of what you said. Is a country with 80 million, Istambul 16 millions in some places probably not as dense as Barcelona (the most dense in europe) and Madrid but quite packed in some areas as any medieval historical city centre in europe. and the infected numbers will surpass Iran and China next week and will be tailing UK
Honestly, Syrians are good as long as they register. They have access to anything they could possibly need right now i.e. money and free healthcare.

As I said another time, it's the mortality rate I keep an eye on. If a high infection rate isn't turning into a high mortality rate, I don't see much to worry about, although Istanbul is definitely worth keeping an eye on. Outside of that, not much to say. The big cities are locked down and nobody's getting in or out.

Revan

Assumptionman
And new cases at 4092, 602 down from yesterday.
Most of the countries seem to be doing well today (though it might be a case of under-reporting cause of Easter, and the day is still young in some places). The US, the UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy have all quite fewer deaths than yesterday. In the US, the number might still increase, but it looks good. To be fair, most of these countries were reporting less hospitalizations so while the number of deaths was going to increase, it was just a matter of time when it starts decreasing.

I think if we maintain lockdowns for another 4-6 weeks, the number of infected people is going to reach some manageable level. And then it starts the second phase (and IMO, the hardest phase) of trying to control the infections while we starts re-opening the economy.

Fully Fledged

My cousin is a doctor in London, last week he was moved off of his previous research onto a COVID-19 ward. Very first day on the ward he wasnt given PPE, and today has tested positive for it after developing mild symptoms. Shambles.
It's a national disgrace that people are dying because they are not given adequate PPE.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
A new disease can come from not only China. It can come from anywhere. Like for example :

Zombie deer disease
Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD)
Susceptibility of Human Prion Protein to Conversion by Chronic Wasting Disease Prions

I would not like my brain to become swiss cheese. But the fact is, we are getting closer and closer to humans contracting and spreading such an infectious disease.
When this is all over I hope all these diseases are taken seriously. We are messing with mother nature in so many ways that it is getting really creepy to think what the future will be like.

When it comes to the blame game, I stay away from that, but I hope for a stronger Europe to stay safe from the influence from China, Us, Russia. But the EU is not in good shape to be honest so I doubt it will ever happen.
Michael Osterholm, one of the guys that predicted this current crisis said on Joe Rogan that we have to keep an eye on this Zombie Deer Disease. He was predicting that it would cross over. No cure as well.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

Milan is of course a remote village. Bit like Toad Suck, Arkansas.

Alabaster Codify7

Current deaths

Great news, happy for Belgium. We are seeing very positive signs from Belgium, Austria, Germany, Norway, Denmark, even Spain and Italy are showing light at the end of a very grim tunnel. We'll be there one day, absolutely no doubt about it. We've just gotta hunker down and brave this next couple of horrible weeks.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
UK numbers are mad considering that most hospitals are still not full and so most of the deaths are more due to Corona and less due to the health setup getting overwhelmed

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Honestly, Syrians are good as long as they register. They have access to anything they could possibly need right now i.e. money and free healthcare.

As I said another time, it's the mortality rate I keep an eye on. If a high infection rate isn't turning into a high mortality rate, I don't see much to worry about, although Istanbul is definitely worth keeping an eye on. Outside of that, not much to say. The big cities are locked down and nobody's getting in or out.
Yeah, absolutely. For now you are keeping at well enough.

Good to hear about the refugees. I honestly don't know anything on their situation there.

Revan

Assumptionman
Michael Osterholm, one of the guys that predicted this current crisis said on Joe Rogan that we have to keep an eye on this Zombie Deer Disease. He was predicting that it would cross over. No cure as well.
Every disease caused by prions has no cure, and ends with a fatality. To make things worse, prions are close to indestructible.

On the other hand, typically prion diseases are nowhere as contagious as diseases caused by viruses and bacteria.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I agree. Me and my Mrs both have children from our previous marriages that we have 50/50!with our exes and have down for over 10 years. We decided straight away to leave them where they are. We’ve not seen them now since the week before lockdown.

It’s very hard and we miss them but it’s a no brainier to us. They could either come here with the virus or leave here with it.
I can’t even begin to imagine how hard that must be mate. But you are protecting them and are being very sensible.

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
Here north of the Limpopo we are staring down the barrel of a gun, literally. The government doesn't really and even if it did they have very limited scope to intervene due to decades of economic mismanagement and a debilitating political impasse.

The response by the government has been nothing short of pathetic, we have tested just 540 odd people for the 14 positive cases we have. A lockdown was declared but with little accompanying social security measures for the vulnerable.

Years of drought and decline in agriculture due to the land grabs have led to massive food shortages. This makes social distancing impossible because mealie meal is in short supply so people have to queue for hours for it.

Unemployment is over 90% so people live from hand to mouth with little to no savings. This means that when the lockdown was declared a couple of weeks back the poor couldn't afford to stock up on food and other supplies. Now they aren't earning any money at all but they can't really afford to stay home and starve to death.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsday.co.zw/2020/04/covid-19-govt-bungling-exposed/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th.../05/covid-19-struck-family-speaks-ordeal/amp/

The public health system has been run down by decades of unbridled looting and corruption whilst there is a general mistrust between the government and the medics. The conditions for a perfect storm are all there in Zimbabwe with about 12% of the population living with HIV whilst a sizable has hypertension, diabetes (my sister and I included) etc.

State failure and Coronavirus could tip Zimbabwe over the edge.
Sad news, the good people of Zim are suffering because of the bent Zamu-PF and now this, we have our issues a little further South but nothing compared to you guys. If the food runs out security police or no security police people will turn unless some assistance comes from either the IMF or your slightly richer neighbor but saying that the ANC has pity much raped our economy too. Crazy and sad times.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Most of the countries seem to be doing well today (though it might be a case of under-reporting cause of Easter, and the day is still young in some places).
I reckon it's largely that. There has been weekend underreporting going on, and that would be even more pronounced now that it's Easter.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I seriously hope he is not correct this time. I saw that show you mention, that was what opened my eyes for this disease as well. After what I understand this disease is contunously spreading in the wild. Covid-10 would probably look like peanuts compared with this. But, hey, we got all these fine politicians looking out for us and planning ahead, we should be fine right :houllier: I saw today that there has been two deaths by Ebola again in Congo,a after seven weeks without any. Poor country having to deal with both viruses at once.

Foxbatt

Trials have started with the tablet Trump was touting. It seems that he could be right.

Foxbatt

They've been going for a while haven't they?
In the UK. Yes been going on in China for a while. Just got the information that many non European countries are using hcq as a preventive measures by the front line health workers to safe guard them. Also Indian guidelines to WHO has been to use it for the front line workers. But WHO so far is refusing to recommend that. India has sent or about to send hcq to many countries now.
Incidentally Chinese data shows this works better with covid 19 than SARS.