SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Stopped by my mum's to check on her because she hasn't been answering her phone or responding to texts for the last 2 days and didn't have any neighbour's phone numbers. She's fine, she's lost her bloody phone. But her neighbours were in their back garden having a booze up with their extended family. Got back to my house and our neighbours were just getting in their car all dressed up clutching a couple of bottles of plonk. Folk are bloody muppets.
I saw a bellend family friend doing similar on instagram. 10 mins later I tried to show someone and noticed the person had deleted their story. Absolute idiots.

Dan_F

Shes got a point.

Do the public really need to have a close family member die to take this seriously? The big countries in Europe all recognised the seriousness early on and people didnt need to be told to keep their distance. In the UK people have not slowed down anywhere near as much as those other countries - this data is available now. I dont understand why people cant take responsibility instead of blaming the government for every little thing.

The attitude feels closer to the US than to Europe. People like Katie Hopkins saying we are overreacting in the press...and being listened to by some. In Europe she would not even be given a platform.
The public can’t influence things like PPE, the amount of testing being done, airports being open without screening, not shutting down sporting events quick enough. Blaming the public is a weird angle to take. There’s always going to be people that don’t listen, but in no way is that as serious as the issues I mentioned.

Flying high

Shes got a point.

Do the public really need to have a close family member die to take this seriously? The big countries in Europe all recognised the seriousness early on and people didnt need to be told to keep their distance. In the UK people have not slowed down anywhere near as much as those other countries - this data is available now. I dont understand why people cant take responsibility instead of blaming the government for every little thing.

The attitude feels closer to the US than to Europe. People like Katie Hopkins saying we are overreacting in the press...and being listened to by some. In Europe she would not even be given a platform.
Are you fking serious? Our PM boasted on live TV about shaking the hands of infected people!

Where was the leadership? The responsibility once deemed essential for a position such as his? He spent the first weeks talking about flu. His stupidity landed him in hospital and there can be no doubt at all, also contributed to the blase attitude of too many people. Mixed messages, bad planning and politicking from the top have caused many unnecessary deaths.

Today was bad even for Patel. Disgusting stuff from the tories again and again.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That was really overblown by people losing their shit on social media. There was a journalist tweeting from the ferry ports that weekend and he said 90% of the vehicles getting off were freight and the rest were Irish people coming home from the UK.
I heard first hand from a few reliable people that parts of cork had English reg cars and caravans everywhere and Donegal was the same. Surely if we want to be serious we stop that non essential travel?

Silva

I am no longer concerned with when the vaccine will be available because, as things stand, the majority of people in Serbia will refuse to get it an will start a civil war if it is made mandatory.

So great to be living in the enlightenment of the 21st century.
the vaccine will be for people who are older or have weakened immune systems, it's probably going to take a while before we can even think about the global rollout that would be needed for your average serb to get it

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's just a hypothesis but I've been thinking the same sort of thing for a couple of months now (I smoke so I am biased)

Smokers may suffer less from covid19 due to the virus attacking the same receptors that nicotine attach to.
https://www.qeios.com/read/article/581

France has also banned sales of nicotine replacement treatments
https://www.businessinsider.com/cor...ine-substitutes-smoker-study-2020-4?r=US&IR=T
You can find studies for everything, I'd take them with a pinch of salt.

What they meant by studies is probably a small and untested observations on a very limited samples.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Tata Steel saying they need £500 Million support from the government due to losing orders because of coronavirus. That's a lot of pennies for one business but it's also 8,000 employees.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
the vaccine will be for people who are older or have weakened immune systems, it's probably going to take a while before we can even think about the global rollout that would be needed for your average serb to get it
I am aware of that, this was not my point.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Tata Steel saying they need £500 Million support from the government due to losing orders because of coronavirus. That's a lot of pennies for one business but it's also 8,000 employees.
Wasn't they on the verge of collapse beforehand ?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That's where I'm at, as well. I'm not seeing this mass groups of idiots breaking the social distancing guidelines. If anything, I'm conscious that a large number of older people and people with other health conditions (but not in the government notified "highest risk" group) - have decided the "don't leave the house for 12 weeks" guidance applies to them as well.

What I'm also personally aware of is the impact on my family and friends. Two of whom died late March/early April - pre lockdown infections.

But two have died this week - in both cases they were getting treatment (one as a cancer outpatient, the other admitted after a stroke). In both cases they almost certainly picked up the virus at the hospital - as they really hadn't been anywhere or seen anyone from outside the household except in hospital.

As I'm an optimist I actually hope that means we'll see the numbers decline soon - as staff recover and become (hopefully) immune. And of course as PPE and procedures catch up with the challenge of how to support people who need to go to hospital with a serious condition, but who are now immensely vulnerable to an even quicker killer.
Yeah well that's one of the main factors being conveniently ignored at the moment...the main way this will be spreading now is via hospitals and people needing treatment. It's not only one of the main places where social distancing doesn't apply but it's the one place where you can guarantee the virus always is...so at this point the lack of PPE is actually quite fundamental to the whole problem. I'd be willing to guess it's one of the main factors in why the numbers haven't declined as much as they should have yet. It's the most logical and scientific explanation available.

Basically one or more person in the government is responsible for a LOT of people dying who didn't need to. We've heard from various people now that PPE and testing equipment was offered to the government at various different stages. THere are Universities who've even been offering to make it for free, and the government just hasn't bothered pulling it's finger out. So it makes me really angry to see some moron MP blaming literally the entire country, when literally everyone one of us either through choice or not has made huge lifestyle changes and sacrifices. The irony is that even if people aren't listening, it's because they don't trust the government enough to listen to them

This sort of thing annoys me too. Why are the police patrolling acres of empty forest land? Even if they find some random wandering about, what harm are they doing? They're wandering about in the middle of nowhere which means one less person wandering about in a built up area where it's harder to avoid each other. Surely they should be concentrating purely on areas where there can actually be a build up of people? Yet I've seen no sign of them on my runs or when getting shopping. I genuinely don't get how people's brains work.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Screwfix have been open all through this. Click and Collect only. Orderly spaced queuing strictly enforced. They've been brilliant. Well, the Royton one anyway.
B & Q here have operated that way I think. Order online as Click and Collect, except the things are brought out to your car.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
He seems a bit of an attention seeker?
I like him. He has been pretty spot on on many things, without sugarcoating stuff.

- He has been warning for a pandemic for a long time, also specifically what i would look like if it started in China, and he nailed it pretty much.
- He has been warning about outsourcing medical supplies to china.
- He warned about worldwide shortage of IV bags due to 85%of the saline was made in a town in Puerto Rico. It happened.
- He said early on 800,000 deaths in the US with mitigations, and one month has given 50k deaths, there are 12-18 months left.

I have not seen him make a fool out of himself and he has been trying to wake up the world for many years now.
Maybe he is an attention seeker, with good reason though, but for me he is a guy that is credible and trustworthy, and is very good at explaining the science to us mere humans :)

zing

Zingle balls
This according to Michael Osterholm is just the first wave of four or five waves till it goes away, either through a vaccine or 70% of people get infected.
What is a wave? Find the definition confusing. There’s already loads of people saying it’s not going to abate during summer, otherwise we wouldn’t even have the disease spread in countries like India. So there’ll be just one extended continuous death toll. What am I not understanding?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That's where I'm at, as well. I'm not seeing this mass groups of idiots breaking the social distancing guidelines. If anything, I'm conscious that a large number of older people and people with other health conditions (but not in the government notified "highest risk" group) - have decided the "don't leave the house for 12 weeks" guidance applies to them as well.

What I'm also personally aware of is the impact on my family and friends. Two of whom died late March/early April - pre lockdown infections.

But two have died this week - in both cases they were getting treatment (one as a cancer outpatient, the other admitted after a stroke). In both cases they almost certainly picked up the virus at the hospital - as they really hadn't been anywhere or seen anyone from outside the household except in hospital.

As I'm an optimist I actually hope that means we'll see the numbers decline soon - as staff recover and become (hopefully) immune. And of course as PPE and procedures catch up with the challenge of how to support people who need to go to hospital with a serious condition, but who are now immensely vulnerable to an even quicker killer.
Sorry jojojo meant to say aswell that I'm sorry to hear about your friends and family. I don't know anyone who's died from it yet but do know one or two who've been quite seriously ill and luckily recovered.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I like him. He has been pretty spot on on many things, without sugarcoating stuff.

- He has been warning for a pandemic for a long time, also specifically what i would look like if it started in China, and he nailed it pretty much.
- He warned about worldwide shortage of IV bags due to 85%of the saline was made in a town in Puerto Rico. It happened.
- He said early on 800,000 deaths in the US with mitigations, and one month has given 50k deaths, there are 12-18 months left.

I have not seen him make a fool out of himself and he has been trying to wake up the world for many years now.
Maybe he is an attention seeker, with good reason though, but for me he is a guy that is credible and trustworthy, and is very good at explaining the science to us mere humans :)
Yea totally agree. He has been honest and spot on with his predictions.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Interestingly enough he put the death rate at between 0.5 and 1% when calculating the 800,000 deaths. It seems like a low number but a small number of a large number is a large number.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I heard first hand from a few reliable people that parts of cork had English reg cars and caravans everywhere and Donegal was the same. Surely if we want to be serious we stop that non essential travel?
I dunno man. There are Uk reg cars and caravans in Cork and Donegal permamently. The whole thing felt a bit hysterical.

Last edited:

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
What is a wave? Find the definition confusing. There’s already loads of people saying it’s not going to abate during summer, otherwise we wouldn’t even have the disease spread in countries like India. So there’ll be just one extended continuous death toll. What am I not understanding?
There will be a continuous death toll but with the lockdown you will get the amount of daily deaths and new cases down. At some point you loosen the restrictions and likely get a "second wave" which really just means another great increase of new daily cases and thus daily deaths. So in between the waves the virus is never actually gone and people still die but at a far slower rate.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
When everyone says Vaccine I hope you all understand that it will be a nano microchip.

DavidDeSchmikes

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
We're waiting in Italy for the Government to make an announcement about the details of Phase 2 of the lockdown, which was expected this week (although there are of course competing interests, so no doubt there's a balancing act being considered). It looks like there will be some loosening for some industries as early as next week (the manufacturers of agricultural/forestry equipment), but it's the 4th May that will really be the start date.

Papers predict that the textile and fashion industries and construction sites will be allowed to reopen first, followed by clothing and other shops a week later, then restaurants, bars and hairdressers last of all - but all of this with strict social distancing still in place. No-one's sure of the dates yet, but the figures continue to go in the right direction so it looks hopeful.

Of course, most people are probably more interested in when they'll be able to go out of their homes freely and leave their own municipality, and whether the paperwork we have to carry now will still be required. I suspect there won't be any rapid lifting of those restrictions, but at least businesses will be able to get back to work.

(Details from thelocal.it, although widely-discussed in the Italian media, of course).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Poor feckers. Dealing with the sort of obnoxious cnuts who verbally abuse service staff would be bad enough in normal times, let alone now.

Anustart89

It's no different from a very healthy person dying during a marathon though.its a freak occurrence, some people have hidden defects
Those 'hidden defects' like cardiomyopathies etc generally tend to prevent people from reaching the absolute elite in any physically demanding sport. A colleague of mine has written a dissertation on sudden cardiac death and thinks that routine heart ultrasounds among elite athletes are somewhat off the mark, since most deaths are from myocarditis. Presumably, this guy would've been healthy if he reached the absolute top of the game, apart from non-debilitating asthma or something like that.

With the level of medical control these players are under, what's the most likely scenario? That he had some uncovered medical condition that made him vulnerable, despite playing at an elite level, or that a healthy person died from the virus? I'd guess that it's the latter. We've had a bunch of healthy people in their sixties die, so one young healthy individual dying doesn't seem so unrealistic that you'd immediately have to jump to the 'hidden condition' conclusion.

Skills

Snitch
First it was hydroxychloroquine, then remdesivir, then nicotine (in france). Now it is:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-jacob-glanville-antibody-neutralize-coronavirus

Says he hopes to begin trials in September.
That isn't actually a bad thing. Because whatever the treatment/drug/vaccine is will take a long time to validate, so the last thing you want is to put your eggs in only a few baskets and for them to all fall apart at one stage or another.

Throwing as much shit at the wall as you can (obviously qualified scientists doing it - rather than idiots like trump with their stupid suggestions), and hoping one of them sticks is the way to go with this.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If catching this virus doesn't prevent you from catching it again and becoming infectious again then wouldn't that mean there is no herd immunity?
So far I don't think there has ever been a virus that our immune system didn't respond to. There are odd edge cases e.g. HIV which attacks the immune system and Dengue fever, where a second infection sometimes occurs and is then worse than the first infection. In the later case this is not because there is a lack of immune response. It is because sometimes, much later, when a person's immunity has begin to reduce the antibodies aren't enough to defeat the virus in a second infection but do bind to it enough to help spread it. This is the only virus that we have seen this for and there is now a vaccine that will make this irrelevant anyway.

What WHO is warning against most recently is issuing certificates to people who have had COIVD as if they are immune for life before we know what the immune response actually is. A very responsible and appropriate course of action IMO.