SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Think it’s safe to say that this Communication from UK Governement is already a big fail. Watching BBC and Sky, not one person from a entire range of consistencies has any real idea what was meant by it.

The immediate take out is utter confusion eg: most don’t even know if it applies from Monday or Wednesday. This confusion will now just get amplified and embedded by responsive in all forms of media.

I’m not more fearful for what is about to come next, than i was when first lockdown was announced.

JMack1234

What a pointless speech Johnson gave.

I'll ask the Caf, under these new rules can I drive to the beach and walk my dog now?

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
This is just plain stupid. How will they police it? People will not stop at 1 person. They should not have done this at this stage.
Same way they policed the one form of exercise a day (not at all as it is impossible without a system in place like Italy for example)

jeff_goldblum

This is just plain stupid. How will they police it? People will not stop at 1 person. They should not have done this at this stage.
They can't. A house across the street had about 15 people I've never seen before crammed into their front garden to catch the evening sun on VE Day and half of them did the same again on Saturday. The police don't appear to have either the resources or the will to clamp down on obvious shite like that around here, never mind making sure everyone standing within 2 metres of each other in a public place are co-habiting. The government is just preparing for an inevitable inquiry where it can push the responsibility onto people not following it's guidance.

A degree of stupidity was inevitable and with people like my neighbours above were always going to be at it, but even people I'd normally term as sensible have been bending and breaking rules throughout lockdown, largely because the messaging they've been getting has been inconsistent or so vague as to be pointless. Case in point on the latter is the 2m advice and those clowns doing a 'socially distanced' conga on Friday. In a painfully literal-minded way, they could argue they were are practising social distancing as per the guidelines, but anyone with common sense can see that it's irrelevant if you're 2 metres away from someone if, by walking directly behind them, you're taking a breath in exactly the same place they breathed out a second earlier.

0le

Yeah the media :lol: Haven't you and I danced this dance before?

Point stands = effective social distancing is an oxymoron. Standing 2 or 3 meters away from someone won't really do the job. You could be 10 meters away from the person in an unventilated room and still get it. You could be running behind someone 30 meters in front of you and still catch it. At least, this is how I understand transmission (and yes. I could be wrong).
Your point doesn't really make sense. Effective social distancing doesn't mean you completely prevent all transmission, but rather you limit the spread. The distance seems to be an estimate to give an approximate guideline for governments to use. You will always find edge cases and some of the edge cases you give are probably not proper studies in the first place.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This, don’t understand what has changed in that sense.
This is the main problem following that announcement. Nobody has a clue what has actually changed. I’ve watched 3 different news channels and read numerous posts on here and on Reddit and everyone that thinks they know seems to have a different interpretation, otherwise they’re just confused.

Adamsk7

My understanding was everyone in England should be working tomorrow either at home or at their place of work.

Basically no one should be furloughed except those in the hospitality industry
Well that’s not it at all....

Ludens the Red

So barbers, hairdressers, tattoists, massage therapists, etc . They can’t work from home? Are they returning to work? And If they are how are they supposed to work if people aren’t allowed to see them?
What is going on?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Germany's R-rate reportedly back above 1 after easing lockdown, not a great sign for us.
That is almost inevitable unless you eradicate the virus and lock your borders. Even then this virus is highly infectious and things can get worse very quickly.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I won’t be sending my five year old to school in June. They can feck off if they think that I’m going to let him be used as some kind of guinea pig to kick start the economy.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah agreed.

So basically socially you have people taking unlimited exercise and are able to drive where they want and use parks and public spaces(with same household members)

On a work side if you can't work from home you go back to work tomorrow and are encouraged not to use public transport (in London and the like people rely on it).

This feels like a disaster and from a policing perspective a total minefield to enforce, especially the unnecessary travel side of it.
It's basically unenforceable and going to cause untold headaches and wasting of police time. This measure would only work in a country with an obligatory ID carrying system where police can get your confirmed address within seconds.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In 3 weeks time we are going to see a big uptick in infection and will be back to the drawing board with the death rate uptick following in due course.

I wonder that they will do about furlough at that point and if they will reinstate the nightingale hospitals they shut down?

madzo2007

My understanding was everyone in England should be working tomorrow either at home or at their place of work.

Basically no one should be furloughed except those in the hospitality industry
Considering the retail sector won't open until June.....

I interpreted that it is mostly aimed at the construction and manufacturing industry

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I won’t be sending my five year old to school in June. They can feck off if they think that I’m going to let him be used as some kind of guinea pig to kick start the economy.
They really should be giving parents a choice. If you feel comfortable then send them in, if not keep them at home.

Steven Seagull

It’s construction and manufacturing provided you can maintain a safe distance at work. No hairdressers, tattooists, prostitutes etc

it’s the same as before. it’s just weird that he put so much emphasis on it. Maybe just trying to reassure tradesmen that it’s now considered a bit safer. I’ve given up guessing what he’s talking about

TheGame

So barbers, hairdressers, tattoists, massage therapists, etc . They can’t work from home? Are they returning to work? And If they are how are they supposed to work if people aren’t allowed to see them?
What is going on?
Aren’t the above part of the retail rollout which is July onwards? Boris only mentioned construction and manufacturing but there were no firm details. We will have to see what comes out in the details tomorrow but the communication strategy will lead to inevitable problems as different intpretations of the speech have shown.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
All I could take from it was nothing has changed for the foreseeable except for the messaging, which shouldn't have changed.

Tibs

The other really bizarre thing about this shit speech was that it's pre-recorded.

Did nobody watch it back and think, hold on this doesn't make sense?

Or was that the intention?

JMack1234

Professor David Spiegelhalter was on Andrew Marr this morning. Some Facts:

There are 10 million under 15s in England & Wales how many of those have died and COVID on their death certificate? 2.

There are 17 million under 25s in the country and 26 have died from COVID.

COVID is a microscopic risk to young people. Who will be paying the price for this economic crash.

If Boris doesn't come up with a brand new generational settlement the Tories will be out of power for generations.

TheGame

The other really bizarre thing about this shit speech was that it's pre-recorded.

Did nobody watch it back and think, hold on this doesn't make sense?

Or was that the intention?
Apparently the Cabinet were just told it was done and only the inner circle signed off. But yeah you would have thought someone would have seen the slogans and the speech were shit.

Dante

Average bang
Professor David Spiegelhalter was on Andrew Marr this morning. Some Facts:

There are 10 million under 15s in England & Wales how many of those have died and COVID on their death certificate? 2.

There are 17 million under 25s in the country and 26 have died from COVID.

COVID is a microscopic risk to young people. Who will be paying the price for this economic crash.

If Boris doesn't come up with a brand new generational settlement the Tories will be out of power for generations.
Put the boomers into concentration camps and let the rest of us roam free.

Dan_F

I’m not defending the messaging, because it’s terrible, but obviously don’t go into work tomorrow if you’re currently furloughed. The scheme hasn’t suddenly been switched off, it’ll be down to your employer to make that call. Businesses will need time to adjust their offices or decide who comes off furlough etc.

In terms of the lockdown, it’s basically finished. The only thing you can’t do is go to someone else’s house. If I wanted to meet up with a group of 10 people in a park, I could, so long as we stay two meters apart. Same with family.

There’s two uni’s where I live, which means a lot of groups of students living together. It’s already impossible to tell who does or doesn’t live in the same household, can’t see how it’ll be policed, considering people were already having BBQ’s this weekend in my local park.