SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I assume it's not actually just Holohan who calls the shots though, is it?

Every time they talk about recommendations being made it's NPHET that are making the recommendations, which means all these guys too:

Prof Colm Bergin, infectious diseases consultant at St James’s Hospital and Professor of Medicine at Trinity College Dublin.

Paul Bolger, director of Department of Health resources division.

Dr Eibhlin Connolly, deputy chief medical officer at the Department of Health.

Tracey Conroy, assistant secretary in the acute hospitals division of the Department of Health.

Dr John Cuddihy, interim director of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC).

Dr Cillian de Gascun, director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory in UCD.

Colm Desmond, assistant secretary for corporate legislation, mental health, drugs policy and food safety division in the Department of Health.

Dr Lorraine Doherty, national clinical director for health protection in the HPSC.

Dr Mary Favier, president of the Irish College of General Practitioners.

Dr Ronan Glynn, deputy chief medical officer in the Department of Health.

Fergal Goodman, assistant secretary in the primary care division in the Department of Health.

Dr Colm Henry, HSE chief clinical officer.

Dr Kevin Kelleher, HSE assistant national director of public health.

Marita Kinsella, director of the national patient safety office in the Department of Health.

David Leach, HSE deputy national director of communications.

Dr Kathleen Mac Lellan, assistant secretary in Department of Health social care division.

Dr Jeanette McCallion, Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) medical assessor.

Tom McGuinness, assistant national director at HSE office of emergency planning.

Dr Siobhán Ní Bhrian, HSE lead for integrated care.

Prof Philip Nolan, chair of Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group and president of Maynooth University.

Kate O’Flaherty, head of health and wellbeing at Department of Health.

Dr Darina O’Flanagan, special adviser to NPHET at Department of Health.

Dr Siobhán O’Sullivan, chief bioethics officer at Department of Health.

Dr Michael Power, national clinical lead of HSE critical care programme and consultant in intensive care medicine at Beaumont Hospital.

Phelim Quinn, chief executive of Health Information and Quality Authority (Hiqa).

Dr Máirín Ryan, deputy chief executive and director of health technology assessment at Hiqa.

Dr Alan Smith, Department of Health deputy chief medical officer.

Dr Breda Smyth, HSE director of health and public health medicine.

David Walsh, HSE national director of community operations.

Deirdre Watters, head of communications at Department of Health.

Liam Woods, HSE national director of acute operations.

Lorraine Doherty, HPSC clinical director for health protection.

You'd hope that with all those voices present there's reasonably thorough scrutiny and an awareness of how these policies impact other areas of the health service. As opposed to any one person having their word treated as gospel and a blinkered focus on the virus alone.
You'd hope so, but we still haven't heard a reasonable explanation from anyone as to why we have the most stringent roadmap in Europe.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
THis is also completely ignoring again the fact that we have a quite unique problem in this country with the sheer number of families who will struggle to survive due to the "economic impact". The number outweighs the likely death toll from the virus if 100% of the population got it. It's not a minor factor you just glance at and chuck to one side. At this point it's an absolutely massive concern that will threaten to overshadow the virus itself if it's not taken as seriously. THere are entire communities where i am who will be under threat. The same people who have used this as a stick to beat the tories with for years are the ones who are determined to ignore it just because it's no longer a weapon they can use, which makes me think that really they've never really had to experience or fully appreciate the scale of the problem. It's just ceased to be important because doing something to help suddenly isn't as simple as ranting from behind a computer or phone screen.
Come on noodles, you can’t keep asking other people to provide data to back up their claims then base almost your whole argument around an absolutely mental claim you’ve basically pulled out your arse!

If 100% of the British public caught COVID-19 (in a magical world with infinite hospitals/ITU beds and every one of them got the best possible care) you’d have deaths directly due to the virus in the region of 250,000 to 1 million (conservative estimate) Obviously, in the real world - when we run out of respirators, beds and even oxygen - this would be many multiples higher. And that’s not counting all the other excess deaths from other causes, due to hospitals collapsing under the pressure.

If we look at the effect of a recession on mortality, the most extreme case we can study was the Great Depression, in which overall mortality actually decreased!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2765209/

You seem to be coming at this whole discussion with a fundamental misunderstanding of the idea that life being a bit shit for loads of people is not the same thing as loads of people ending up dead. And life being a bit shit is usually a price worth paying to avoid ending up dead.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
FAO Irish

This is a really good interview with Cillian De Gascun about all things virus. He was a couple of years below me in med school and has a brain the size of a planet. He also toured New Zealand playing rugby for the Irish schoolboys team. Bastard. Probably has a small mickey though.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/the-coronavirus-ireland-podcast/id1503255048?i=1000475102407

@sullydnl
@golden_blunder
@lynchie
@Massive Spanner
@Brophs

Apologies to anyone I forgot.
Interesting listen, thanks.

bpet15

Does the recent reporting of such high percentages of deaths occurring in nursing homes or care or elderly care facilities, ease any of your fears?

I found these numbers to be staggering. Canada 81%, USA 41%, France 50%, Belgium 51% and Spain 66%. Why do you think England is at 27%?
What can we do to protect these people and do these numbers advocate for the rest of the general public to begin easing of restrictions?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Govt chose to focus on NHS over care homes early in outbreak - minister
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...rly-stages-of-outbreak-minister-says-11991378
As this is a virus which is increasingly lethal the older you are, they should have been prioritised or at least classed as being of equal importance. However, most of them in the UK are privately-owned, which complicates matters. People who manage to get social services funding to go into residential care (care homes without any qualified nurses) are generally at the threshold where they'd have been in a nursing home 20 years ago - they have multiple chronic health conditions as well as simply needing help with daily living. Staff are often inadequately trained, over-worked and underpaid. They come and go all the time in some homes, which adds to the problem when you're trying to contain a highly-infectious disease.

I have a fair amount of experience of both in working in care homes and in monitoring them, and the quality is so variable it's a bit if a lottery if you go into one, really. I've seen some great care homes with wonderful owners, and some that are completely inadequate. Too many owners see it as a way to get rich and some of them are very rich - the last one I worked at had an owner who drove a new Bentley Continental whilst refusing to buy Kellogg's breakfast cereal for the residents.

0le

We suffer in yhr
As this is a virus which is increasingly lethal the older you are, they should have been prioritised or at least classed as being of equal importance. However, most of them in the UK are privately-owned, which complicates matters. People who manage to get social services funding to go into residential care (care homes without any qualified nurses) are generally at the threshold where they'd have been in a nursing home 20 years ago - they have multiple chronic health conditions as well as simply needing help with daily living. Staff are often inadequately trained, over-worked and underpaid. They come and go all the time in some homes, which adds to the problem when you're trying to contain a highly-infectious disease.

I have a fair amount of experience of both in working in care homes and in monitoring them, and the quality is so variable it's a bit if a lottery if you go into one, really. I've seen some great care homes with wonderful owners, and some that are completely inadequate. Too many owners see it as a way to get rich and some of them are very rich - the last one I worked at had an owner who drove a new Bentley Continental whilst refusing to buy Kellogg's breakfast cereal for the residents.
I am a bit confused about care homes. Have care homes always been separated from the NHS and therefore run privately or did this separation happen later? Are there any care homes run by the NHS and why are they so limited?

MoskvaRed

Of course the UK should have locked down earlier. That isn't a good reason to reduce the half arsed lockdown that did occur far too early just because not quite so many people are dying every day.

Cost benefit analysis shows it is 5 times cheaper to save a life vs unlocking too early. More so in the US where the value of life is calculated at a far higher rate. But Bojo and Trump.either don't know what they are doing or don't give a shit.
Where did that analysis come from? If we are focusing on utilitarianism rather than morality, then, in the context of this disease and the profile of victims, I find it hard to believe that keeping people in their 20s and 30s economically inactive is more expensive (let alone 5 times more) than the cost of retired people dying earlier than anticipated.

Classical Mechanic

The new case data in London is interesting because 9 days on from Boris's stay alert speech that saw public transport fill up again you'd be expecting cases to increase by now?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We suffer in yhr

I am a bit confused about care homes. Have care homes always been separated from the NHS and therefore run privately or did this separation happen later? Are there any care homes run by the NHS and why are they so limited?
Can't talk about England but here in NI all care homes are privately run - we have health and social care integrated so all within our NHS but we have zero Trust care homes.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Tbh, the problem there isn't the people. They all seem to be following advice and guidelines and to my knowledge aren't breaking any laws or rules?

It's down to the local council (and government) to enforce restrictions here, they're not breaking any laws and following the scientific advice.

Of course it looks ridiculous, and is ridiculous but at the same time if no rules are being broken then it's the rules that need to change.

Dan_F

The park near me is absolutely rammed. Plenty of couples and people sticking to the rules, but also loads of group of teenagers, who clearly weren’t taught what 2 meters is. I don’t understand how difficult it would be to send a policeman there every afternoon to fine groups like that.

Really tried to just get some fresh air and not think about it, but it was hard not to be shocked by it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That just means no cases serious enough to require a medical test. I'm sure there are still plenty of people all over the place who are infected but asymptomatic or with mild symptoms.

This is the most misleading part of the "reported cases" number, and we should assume that number is tenfold vs what is caught via testing.

But it's still very encouraging news. Lets see what the numbers look like on 1st June, which should include impact of loosening of lockdown restrictions.

Last edited:

decorativeed

The park near me is absolutely rammed. Plenty of couples and people sticking to the rules, but also loads of group of teenagers, who clearly weren’t taught what 2 meters is. I don’t understand how difficult it would be to send a policeman there every afternoon to fine groups like that.

Really tried to just get some fresh air and not think about it, but it was hard not to be shocked by it.
Same thing that stops them sending policemen to fine people littering, lighting barbecues, and letting dogs shit all over the place. Zero policemen available to do it.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The NHS doesn't run care homes, but it did used to have a lot of long-stay hospitals, where old folk would basically live for the rest of their lives. Most of the people that were in those hospitals wouldn't qualify for a care home place these days, and didn't need to be there back then - they needed to be at home with decent social care support.

There was a change in philosophy and long-term hospitals were closed and folk were moved back into the community - this included many people with learning disabilities and mental health problems. That massive shift was never properly funded. The NHS also had community hospitals/convalescent hospitals, but these are now few and far between.

Local councils ran residential care homes, and in some areas they still have them - but most of them are run by private companies, who more often than not have a group of homes, although some proprietors just have one home. If you have very complex needs which need constant supervision by a trained nurse, you might get NHS Continuing Care funding (when all your care home fees are paid by the NHS). However, most people in care homes with nursing don't get that - there's an allowance paid by the NHS for the nursing element of their care, but their board and lodging is classed as social care. However, everyone who works in residential care homes will tell you that their residents are far more dependent than they used to be, and the community nurses are always being called out to perform nursing procedures.

Basically, there's a "quicker and sicker" culture now - people get discharged more quickly from hospital and are sicker than they used to be. It's ironic because the step-down care they used to get isn't there any more, the community nurses are overwhelmed and social care won't pay for much. Everyone knows it's best to keep old, chronically-ill people out of hospital, but to do that you need to have proper staging of care and robust community support. Sending a social carer to someone's house a couple of times a day for a 10-minute visit isn't good enough.

Dan_F

Same thing that stops them sending policemen to fine people littering, lighting barbecues, and letting dogs shit all over the place. Zero policemen available to do it.
Surely crime is massively down though? Or is this a good chance to pull back on over spending maybe.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
What’s the issue? The video shows small groups of people sitting at some distance apart. There is a lot of curtain twitching/puritan self-righteousness to all this covidiot talk.
Thing is it's not just being at the beach but mulling about and walking to and from the beach. Can you honestly say that everyone will stay 2m apart? Look at the photos in the previous posts.

It's very frustrating when people have put their lives on hold. I haven't left my immediate area in 2 months and others are having lovely days out down the beach.

Screw it, I live near the beach, maybe I should head down and join the rest.

I get your point though, I think ultimately we needed more clarity from those in charge.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What’s the issue? The video shows small groups of people sitting at some distance apart. There is a lot of curtain twitching/puritan self-righteousness to all this covidiot talk.
How many touched the handrails? How many went to the shops across the road? How many filled their cars up to get there? How many parked in cramped bays?

People think "it's fine because I'm socially distancing" is the get out of jail free card for being a selfish cnut just because you want to sit on a beach. "We're all in this together" doesn't apply because of these jokers.

*Twitches curtains*