SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

lynchie

Perhaps. The science is obviously all very fast moving. The whole T-cells thing is fascinating and hopefully there's something in it.

Some data yesterday (picked up by the UK press I think) suggests that even in the US states that have opened up the R number is coming down. Be interesting to know the theory behind that.
Could be linked to the thread below. Apparently a lot of the mutations observed so far actually reduce the transmissibility of the virus. Which is nice.

Hammerfell

He is arguably the most important figure driving this government. They'll fight tooth and nail to keep him around.

I reckon Boris will fear for his reign of Demonic Cummings is ousted.
He wouldn't stop doing the job if he resigned, they'd just fund him through some external measure in an unofficial capacity. It'd change nothing.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He wouldn't stop doing the job if he resigned, they'd just fund him through some external measure in an unofficial capacity. It'd change nothing.
Whatever that looked like, he wouldn't be able to physically work at number 10. My old housemate works there now and she says his presence is pretty tenable. I honestly don't think the current government would have the nouse to survive without him steering the ship from within.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
And that just comes across as a load of whiney bollox. Some of the “smart people” who seem to wind you up are putting their lives at risk, every day, going in to work in hospitals riddled with the virus. Dealing with bereaved relatives, finding out about colleagues who have been killed. So I think it’s fair to say they have a pretty good idea what’s going on. Even though you obviously think you know best.

And that’s without even getting into the hundreds of taxi drivers, bus drivers, cleaners, supermarket workers and security guards who have been killed by this virus in the last few weeks while you’ve been making up false facts about how a recession will kill more people and lockdown needs to stop immediately. I think it’s fair to say their bereaved families would also have different opinion to you on how this crisis should be handled.
I am around people who are out there "putting their lives at risk" nearly every day so I probably wouldn't go down that route. It's exactly what has fuled my distain for a lot of the ignorant bollocks in this thread. If I'm not on site with builders, I've been helping at the local food bank, I've been helping our social care team. I've been getting food to my parents. I've delivered pescriptions to people who can't go out. I've been out helping to collect rubbish (although I did have a moan about having to do that). I'm out literally every day. I've not heard a single one of these people you mention who are "out there" come up with any of the bollocks being spouted by all you pretend experts in this thread.

Most are just getting on with it and are struggling, tired and frsutrated. They are helping to keep the country going, and helping people get by, on their own, while other people sit at home typing opinions on the internet about how it's unfair to open a school or to be expected to go to work, but who offer absolutely no form of help or solution, and then flock in their droves to go and queue for a toilet at a beach. I'm quite bored with it Pogue. Even the actual scientific guidance, from experts, is constantly laced with terms like "we can't be certain about anything"...so I'm afraid you are all talking utter shite when you start preaching about what the right or wrong thing to do is. You can analyse what's already happened, but if we're being honest, none of you know or have a clue what the right or wrong thing to do is going forwards, and neither do I.

I can tell you what I have seen. I have seen that the demand at the food bank is, for the first time since I've helped there, outstripping the supply. This means that there are people, families, who aren't getting food, to eat. I've seen one woman break down in tears because she can't feed her children.

I've spoken to countless people who simply can't cope at the moment and are really desperate to get some form of support, which for example would come in the form of being able to send their child into a school. They are well aware of the potential risks involved and are quite scared in many cases, but their situation means those risks are no longer the biggest threat to them.

Every time I go into my work I see people sat outside who have been left with nowhere to go. Usually they would get help being relocated and in all circumstances would be given the option of a roof over their head. Now there is NO ONE there to help them. Because it is not safe for someone to help them. Someone somewhere has come to the conclusion that leaving people without a shelter to go to is less dangerous than sending a perfectly healthy person into a building to help them...even though I can come into work, in the exact same building, to do something much less important.

The reason these kind of conclusions are being reached and some of these things are happening is, in part, due to the amount of pretend experts spouting shite and refusing to see the wider picture. So it would actually be nice if people could cut it out and stop being so astonishingly ignorant at least for a while. Worse are the morons still trying to tow political agendas and twist what's going on to suit. I mean fecking hell grow up.

I don't see it that everyone out there is "putting their life on the line" and I think that is part of the ignorance in itself. There are doctors and care workers out there who are or have been putting themselves at risk. For everything else, people are quite able in line with the guidance to assess the risk on an individual level. The risk of corona virus to me for example is far too tiny to justify not doing anything to help. Where as I wouldn't expect a colleague twice my age to be asked to do anything. I wouldn't expect someone my age who lives or comes into contact with an elderly relative to do anything...but there are plenty out there who can and in reality help is desperately needed at this point.

I can safely presume you aren't aware of most of this Pogue, because if you were your attitude in this thread would be very different. If you were then on the couple of occasions I've mentioned some of these things to you before, you wouldn't just have completely dismissed/ignored it as if it's insignificant.

Everything you say is based on some numbers on a screen. Numbers which represent a tiny portion of the big picture, which give a very incomplete perspective, which in a lot of cases come with the asterix of probably not being fully accurate, and which also despite this, mainly only serve to prove that no one knows what they are on about since they don't fit with any of the arguments people were making 2 months ago, or even 2 weeks ago.

Whining about advice helps no one. You might not agree with it, but at least a teacher going into a school, or willing to engage in helping to create a safer environment within the school, or someone helping widen a cycle path in London, is doing something to try and help the situation. The weekly clapping thing will die out soon I suspect and the reason it will is because at this point it's an empty gesture, because this is now everyone's problem to solve, and it isn't solved by just sitting there disagreeing with things.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The Fox stat is the least surprising thing on there.

It should not be above 0.1% in any demographic. Anything over 1% should be cause for alarm. 28% of adults think that Bill Gates is going to implant microchips in people?!?

Either that’s a bad poll, or America should be nuked out of existence. It’s creating too many insane people.

Ludens the Red

Genetic differences between races have been acknowledged and influenced treatment decisions in medicine for years. Have a look at any hypertension guideline. Would be madness not to at least consider them when trying to work out the best way to live with this virus.
Yes but in this instance and for these issues it is secondary and shouldn’t be the main point of attention. I was very dismissive of genetic studies in my last post and that was wrong (I am aware of differences between groups and how it assists with medical treatment) but you can do all the genetic studies in the world but if the root cause is still prevalent and is ignored then it just won’t make any massive difference really.

I’ve noticed in this thread and the football thread, whenever the discussion has cropped up about the higher rate of death amongst black and Asians it is rare for people to acknowledge or talk about socio-economic inequalities, bad diets and job roles. The go to seems to always be ‘genetics’ or something about vitamin d. I just saw a comment of “Especially as we may land on something as simple as giving anyone in an ethnic risk group a huge shot of Vitamins to lower that risk.”
I mean what the actual feck?

I don’t know if it’s because people don’t want to acknowledge the uncomfortable truth or they just aren’t aware. Its probably a bit of both, there’s people on here living in towns and cities in Europe where they could probably count the number of black and Asians they’ve seen on their hand. And that’s not a dig at you, your posting in this thread has been second to none and unbiased. But I can see that if people don’t see how black and asian people live they might not have clarity.

But yeah if people are genuinely concerned about these disproportionate death rates, they should try to get to the root of the problem and help fix it there. Rather than be blind sided by a fixation on genetic studies.

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

Worthy of study certainly, not worthy of priority to a vaccine based on race.

First thing that should be looked at is if the inequality persists when you control for the obvious 3 health risk factors of high BMI, diabetes and high blood pressure, and then other obvious things like the high ratio of BAME working in the healthcare sector and other metrics like increased rates of household overcrowding.
How can you claim it is worthy of study. But then claim it is not worthy of action, when you don't know the outcome of the study yet? Baffling.

In all likelihood with proper controls it will be explainable without passing it off as a genetic susceptibility.
Your assumption here could also be extremely dangerous. I hope you have no part in the decision making process for this!

Fluctuation0161

Im not dismissing the discrepancy, There’s a discrepancy because of the reasons I mentioned and I’ll mention them again. Black and Asians dying at a higher rate due to the coronavirus isn’t really down to a ‘black gene’ or an ‘Asian gene’.

Social, economic, cultural and dietary reasons are what makes blacks and Asians more prone to diabetes, obesity and being exposed to the coronavirus, not a ‘gene’. These problems were there before the corona and there’ll be here when it’s gone.

Type 2 diabetes is three to five times higher in black and Asians than whites in the UK. It was the same before corona.
Black and Asians have a higher rate of obesity (in particular childhood obesity) than whites. It was the same before corona.
Black and Asians are dominating our hospitals. They’re the security guards, the bus drivers, the taxi drivers, the carers, you know the jobs people don’t want to do, meaning they’re being exposed to infection more. A large amount have also come to work from abroad where they won’t have had a lifetime of sufficient medical care.
That is why the ratio of death is higher amongst them.

Black and asian people have been disproportionately dying from these diseases for years, years before the coronavirus. Black and Asian people have been doing these undesirable job roles for years.

The stats tell you the coronavirus by itself is not actually that deadly. But when it’s mixed in with diabetes and obesity then you have a problem. The idea that we need to be studying into ‘genes’, “and have us want to understand the reasons behind it, with supporting research” is all just lip service, pr bullshit and actually kind of insulting.

The reasons have been staring us in the face for years. The coronavirus has highlighted the issue but for all the wrong reasons.
If the powers that be actually want to help and are actually concerned about the black and asian community, then they should actually do something about it, do something about inequality, do something about institutional racism, get in these communities and give them medical advice, highlight the need for a well balanced diet. But that’s not what we’re getting, what we’re getting is pussy footing around, blabbering on about “genetic studies”, as if that’s going to solve or assist with anything.
There are plenty of healthy black and asian people out there completely unaffected by the coronavirus but yeah ‘genes’ or something.
Again, as in my previous post, far too many assumptions. Before this has been researched in more detail you have no idea, only assumptions.

RedRover

So because you didn't want brexit & your anti tory everyone else who disagrees with you are an idiot?

This is exactly why the UK is the way it is. No one can respect anyone else's different viewpoint.

I personally think that we had to candidates that weren't ideal and the UK voted for the least worse of the 2.
I agree with that completely and the arrogance of some people drives me mad.

I'm from a staunchly Labour town. I'm a Labour voter and have been all of my life (although I'm only mid 30's). I voted Labour in the last GE after much deliberation and even then, I wasn't certain because despite Jeremy Corbyn being a decent bloke, I had no confidence in his economic policies or ability to deliver what he promised, and real concerns about how the younger, slightly more left of centre politicians appeared not to be able to work with him. As such, I respect your opinion and why you voted the way you did.

What I did get sick of was (largely on social media) people blindly pushing their agenda. I try to understand things best I can and do a bit of research before forming an opinion. Mostly I understand that whatever I think, the other side will probably have some pretty sensible arguments as well, because its clearly not black and white.

The problem is it seems there can be no debate anymore, nor any respect for others (often perfectly legitimate) opinions. If you don't agree with everything someone says, or you raise a legitimate point which they can't really respond to, you're an "idiot". That's it. Discussion over.

It's happened again with Covid. I was called a "sociopath" on here a few weeks ago because I didn't subscribe to the view that a seemingly endless lockdown was necessary. I raised a lot of sensible arguments about why it may cause more harm than good and rather than engage I was just accused of being happy to see thousands of our old folk dead.

Fluctuation0161

The party that sold off all the gold at low prices and raided the pension reserves and the proceeded to ruin the economy before the torys took over created much of the hardship.

I'm no lover of either party but its laughable to lump all the blame on one party. Both are culpable for the way this country is over the last 2 decades.

In your last point, reading it back, I agree it wasn't a well formed sentence, but you have assumed I vote Conservative, I didn't. So I wasn't defending my fellow 'idiots' I was merely pointing out the lack of respect for those of opposing views. Using insults also defeats your argument (not you personally, anyone that uses insults)

I'll leave my last sentence though, I'm not here to perfect my grammar
The gold argument has been debunked so many times it's null. As for the GLOBAL economic crash, yes that had an impact.

If you can't look at Tory spending policy over the last 10 years and see how it had weakened our response to this crisis then I ask you to look into social care and NHS policy post 2010.

PepsiCola

Tories are cnuts

If you can look at the current state of affairs and still feel good about voting for them, you need to take a look at yourself.

Ludens the Red

Again, as in my previous post, far too many assumptions. Before this has been researched in more detail you have no idea, only assumptions.
With all due respect the fact you’re dismissing what I’ve said as “assumptions” make you a complete and utter ignorant clown.

I am around people who are out there "putting their lives at risk" nearly every day so I probably wouldn't go down that route. It's exactly what has fuled my distain for a lot of the ignorant bollocks in this thread. If I'm not on site with builders, I've been helping at the local food bank, I've been helping our social care team. I've been getting food to my parents. I've delivered pescriptions to people who can't go out. I've been out helping to collect rubbish (although I did have a moan about having to do that). I'm out literally every day. I've not heard a single one of these people you mention who are "out there" come up with any of the bollocks being spouted by all you pretend experts in this thread.

Most are just getting on with it and are struggling, tired and frsutrated. They are helping to keep the country going, and helping people get by, on their own, while other people sit at home typing opinions on the internet about how it's unfair to open a school or to be expected to go to work, but who offer absolutely no form of help or solution, and then flock in their droves to go and queue for a toilet at a beach. I'm quite bored with it Pogue. Even the actual scientific guidance, from experts, is constantly laced with terms like "we can't be certain about anything"...so I'm afraid you are all talking utter shite when you start preaching about what the right or wrong thing to do is. You can analyse what's already happened, but if we're being honest, none of you know or have a clue what the right or wrong thing to do is going forwards, and neither do I.

I can tell you what I have seen. I have seen that the demand at the food bank is, for the first time since I've helped there, outstripping the supply. This means that there are people, families, who aren't getting food, to eat. I've seen one woman break down in tears because she can't feed her children.

I've spoken to countless people who simply can't cope at the moment and are really desperate to get some form of support, which for example would come in the form of being able to send their child into a school. They are well aware of the potential risks involved and are quite scared in many cases, but their situation means those risks are no longer the biggest threat to them.

Every time I go into my work I see people sat outside who have been left with nowhere to go. Usually they would get help being relocated and in all circumstances would be given the option of a roof over their head. Now there is NO ONE there to help them. Because it is not safe for someone to help them. Someone somewhere has come to the conclusion that leaving people without a shelter to go to is less dangerous than sending a perfectly healthy person into a building to help them...even though I can come into work, in the exact same building, to do something much less important.

The reason these kind of conclusions are being reached and some of these things are happening is, in part, due to the amount of pretend experts spouting shite and refusing to see the wider picture. So it would actually be nice if people could cut it out and stop being so astonishingly ignorant at least for a while. Worse are the morons still trying to tow political agendas and twist what's going on to suit. I mean fecking hell grow up.

I don't see it that everyone out there is "putting their life on the line" and I think that is part of the ignorance in itself. There are doctors and care workers out there who are or have been putting themselves at risk. For everything else, people are quite able in line with the guidance to assess the risk on an individual level. The risk of corona virus to me for example is far too tiny to justify not doing anything to help. Where as I wouldn't expect a colleague twice my age to be asked to do anything. I wouldn't expect someone my age who lives or comes into contact with an elderly relative to do anything...but there are plenty out there who can and in reality help is desperately needed at this point.

I can safely presume you aren't aware of most of this Pogue, because if you were your attitude in this thread would be very different. If you were then on the couple of occasions I've mentioned some of these things to you before, you wouldn't just have completely dismissed/ignored it as if it's insignificant.

Everything you say is based on some numbers on a screen. Numbers which represent a tiny portion of the big picture, which give a very incomplete perspective, which in a lot of cases come with the asterix of probably not being fully accurate, and which also despite this, mainly only serve to prove that no one knows what they are on about since they don't fit with any of the arguments people were making 2 months ago, or even 2 weeks ago.

Whining about advice helps no one. You might not agree with it, but at least a teacher going into a school, or willing to engage in helping to create a safer environment within the school, or someone helping widen a cycle path in London, is doing something to try and help the situation. The weekly clapping thing will die out soon I suspect and the reason it will is because at this point it's an empty gesture, because this is now everyone's problem to solve, and it isn't solved by just sitting there disagreeing with things.
Sound reasoning to a lot of this, especially the points about ignorance to things and the bigger picture, that is starting to grate me BUT it shouldn’t be directed at Pogue. He’s generally been fair and unbiased throughout the thread.

Last edited:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Like it or not, there are genetic differences between races. Better to understand them properly than bury our heads in the sand and scream racism no?
Race is not a biologically meaningful categorisation. What do you mean by race? How are you defining it? It's not about screaming racism - it's a widely discredited term among geneticists and evolutionary biologists, not because of political correctness but because of scientific reality.

Genetic differences between races have been acknowledged and influenced treatment decisions in medicine for years. Have a look at any hypertension guideline. Would be madness not to at least consider them when trying to work out the best way to live with this virus.
Race is not a biologically meaningful categorisation. African-American, black, white etc. is not a race. It's very important that we are clear about the terms we use and what they mean. So the same question. What do you mean by race and what scientific basis are you using for that? African-Americans being more likely to suffer from hypertension does not mean that African-Americans are a race, it means that the demographic that we call African-American is more likely to suffer from hypertension. Likely that's because some people within that demographic have a shared ancestral pool which genetically predisposes them towards that (seems like it may be to do with common ancestral pools in areas with a high prevalence of malaria, and genetic adaptations against that have can have a detrimental effect on cardiac health). And race is not a useful term for understanding this, hence it's increasing obsoloteness in the fields that actually deal with biology and genetics.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Re: the above - Foucault wrote extensively about the use of 'scientific' categorisation as a way of establishing and maintaining social and political control.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I like you, noodles. I don’t want to fight about this. I’m sorry for the way I talked to you in that post. It was out of order. I hate the way I get all uppity on here from time to time. I read the posts back and cringe. We’re all going through this differently and it’s good to hear about experiences different to mine.

Last edited:

hobbers

How can you claim it is worthy of study. But then claim it is not worthy of action, when you don't know the outcome of the study yet? Baffling.

Your assumption here could also be extremely dangerous. I hope you have no part in the decision making process for this!
Quite easily. Because the only available action right now is to study it. There's not going to be a vaccine for year(s)... so not sure what else you think should be done?

What's truly baffling is your notion of "acting", whatever that means, without having any understanding at all of the reasons behind it. That sounds far more dangerous than sensible evidence-based approaches.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yes but in this instance and for these issues it is secondary and shouldn’t be the main point of attention. I was very dismissive of genetic studies in my last post and that was wrong (I am aware of differences between groups and how it assists with medical treatment) but you can do all the genetic studies in the world but if the root cause is still prevalent and is ignored then it just won’t make any massive difference really.

I’ve noticed in this thread and the football thread, whenever the discussion has cropped up about the higher rate of death amongst black and Asians it is rare for people to acknowledge or talk about socio-economic inequalities, bad diets and job roles. The go to seems to always be ‘genetics’ or something about vitamin d. I just saw a comment of “Especially as we may land on something as simple as giving anyone in an ethnic risk group a huge shot of Vitamins to lower that risk.”
I mean what the actual feck?

I don’t know if it’s because people don’t want to acknowledge the uncomfortable truth or they just aren’t aware. Its probably a bit of both, there’s people on here living in towns and cities in Europe where they could probably count the number of black and Asians they’ve seen on their hand. And that’s not a dig at you, your posting in this thread has been second to none and unbiased. But I can see that if people don’t see how black and asian people live they might not have clarity.

But yeah if people are genuinely concerned about these disproportionate death rates, they should try to get to the root of the problem and help fix it there. Rather than be blind sided by a fixation on genetic studies.
Actually, socio-economic factors are one of the first things brought up in these discussions and they can be and have been normalized for when going through these numbers.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Jesus, just look at these headlines...
Guardian said:
Trump urges reopening as death toll nears 100,000
President is at his golf club in Virginia, pool confirms
Trump urges governors to open places of worship
Hydroxychloroquine: Trump ‘cure’ increases deaths, global study finds

Sparky Rhiwabon

They’ve basically just loosened the guidelines for people with kids to look after, on the fly, to help Cummings out.

redshaw

Lowest Saturday for deaths. Sun/Mon is normally when the figures drop.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
People tested unavailable. You have got to be fecking kidding me :lol:
They’ve had those “people tested” and “number of tests“ numbers on their daily summary for weeks now. Which was why I found it weird to see headlines a couple of days back expressing shock and horror about people having more than one test, counting as multiple tests in the total tests number. It’s been right in front of us, every day, all along.

arnie_ni

They’ve had those “people tested” and “number of tests“ numbers on their daily summary for weeks now. Which was why I found it weird to see headlines a couple of days back expressing shock and horror about people having more than one test, counting as multiple tests in the total tests number. It’s been right in front of us, every day, all along.
I thought it was more a case of a patient showing all the signs and the first test coming back negative, so they re tested the patient.

I didnt think it was blatantly fudged as taking a nasal and Silvia swab of the same person and counting it twice

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Lies lies lies lies and it’s been like this ever since the start of the brexit campaign.
Cummings clearly broke the rules set by the Government he works for. Then it was covered-up by no. 10 and now the government is trying to put a spin on it saying he didn’t break any rules (despite him clearly breaking the rules). The government is morally corrupt and Cummings should be fired immediately. An odious toad is what he is.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Basically, if you're not driving halfway across the country with the virus to dump your kids off at your elderly parents' house then you're a shit parent, tbh

Rams

Basically, if you're not driving halfway across the country with the virus to dump your kids off at your elderly parents' house then you're a shit parent, tbh

His reasons might sound reasonable, yet he broke the rules his own government set. Couldn’t his family have picked the kids up? Surely he could have come up with a solution whereby he didn’t break the rules? Especially with the kind of wealth he has. Could you imagine the response of the government if it was somebody of the opposition?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
His reasons might sound reasonable, yet he broke the rules his own government set. Couldn’t his family have picked the kids up? Surely he could have come up with a solution whereby he didn’t break the rules? Especially with the kind of wealth he has. Could you imagine the response of the government if it was somebody of the opposition?
Well we've already seen Hancock's response to the Neil Ferguson situation. Lost for words then, I think was the general view. Different situation, of course, but still.

It's a disgrace. As if he's the only one who has kids in this situation. Basically, feck all the people who have adhered to the rules that they've set out. Feck the people who couldn't attend funerals or had ill relatives die alone because, again, they adhered to the rules that these cretins laid out at the beginning of all this. Not that I should be surprised by the servile nature of his defenders, but it still makes you sick.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I thought it was more a case of a patient showing all the signs and the first test coming back negative, so they re tested the patient.

I didnt think it was blatantly fudged as taking a nasal and Silvia swab of the same person and counting it twice
I assumed each test represents one swab. As far as I know, you’re supposed to use the same swab up the nose as you use down the throat.

Rams

Well we've already seen Hancock's response to the Neil Ferguson situation. Lost for words then, I think was the general view. Different situation, of course, but still.

It's a disgrace. As if he's the only one who has kids in this situation. Basically, feck all the people who have adhered to the rules that they've set out. Feck the people who couldn't attend funerals or had ill relatives die alone because, again, they adhered to the rules that these cretins laid out at the beginning of all this. Not that I should be surprised by the servile nature of his defenders, but it still makes you sick.
It’s an absolute disgrace!! Total failure of leadership and morally corrupt.
This is what you when you vote in a morally corrupt government. It all started with the Brexit campaign, yet the (majority of the) population don’t seem to mind as long as they get what they want (or seem to get what they want).
The only thing this government is good at is conning the electorate. I just hope that the electorate wakes up and starts realizing they’ve been had big time.

NinjaFletch

I do hope this stuff about weaker strains etc is true because I've been out working for most of this week and the country seems very much to have given up on any semblance of social distancing.