SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Tibs

It's the hospitalization numbers that need to be kept an eye on but they're not as easy to find and probably less accurate.
I think its confirmed cases that go up first > then hospital cases > then deaths

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think its confirmed cases that go up first > then hospital cases > then deaths
I don't know why that even needs to be confirmed or why people still aren't understanding it.

It's like having to explain to someone that you can't actually get drunk until after you've started drinking the alcohol.

Irwin99

A 12 year old is reported to have died from the virus. Jesus! the numbers seem to be jumping back up.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm becoming a bit confused by what is and isn't ok to be honest. To confirm:

Still not yet ok:
Going to work
Public transport
pubs and bars
sitting down close to another person
inviting 1 person over to your house
Shops that don't primarily sell food or bicycles

Now perfectly ok:
Thousands of people packing onto an overcrowded open public beach
Mass gatherings/protests of many thousands of people
Ikea

I mean, the top list I actullly understand pretty well...except that the bottom list exists.

redshaw

Confirmation

Double digits look elusive for UK. The worry is this will be mostly older people still contracting it somehow.

I'd like to know in depth all the circumstances in how these people have got infected in the last month, trace and log it all when they come in and asking their relatives and neighbors/friends etc and try to help limit it.
I was asking for regular testing at care homes for workers in March but this was only mulled over in early April and acted upon mid April. Could see it was a ticking time bomb 1-2 months before and said the virus will be brought in

Was the only one on the forum saying how the feck are we letting 2-3k Madrid fans to travel when these fans can't even go to their own games and pointed out Madrid was 50% of Spain's infections at the time.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
A 12 year old is reported to have died from the virus. Jesus! the numbers seem to be jumping back up.
No they don't.

They''re going down very very slowly as they have been for a number of weeks now. They're numbers. Pretty much the hardest thing on earth to missinterpret.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
No they don't.

They''re going down very very slowly as they have been for a number of weeks now. They're numbers. Pretty much the hardest thing on earth to missinterpret.

You've never argued stats in the footy forum then?

Admittedly it's a gimp's pastime, but they manage to do it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
How catastrophic could these protests be in terms of new infections and deaths? And when will we likely see the effect of them? There's no doubting the importance of these protests; they're obviously very necessary. But when I saw the pictures coming out of London with the sheer number of people in them I couldn't help but wince. But there again we saw countless photos of beaches being packed over the bank holiday and VE Day anniversary a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure how much damage that did.

So maybe it won't have that much impact?

edcunited1878

How catastrophic could these protests be in terms of new infections and deaths? And when will we likely see the effect of them? There's no doubting the importance of these protests; they're obviously very necessary. But when I saw the pictures coming out of London with the sheer number of people in them I couldn't help but wince. But there again we saw countless photos of beaches being packed over the bank holiday and VE Day anniversary a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure how much damage that did.

It's an interesting live case study if there ever was one very relevant to the virus. These people were pinned in and obviously getting different loads from other people by touching, laying down, talking, yelling, etc. well within probably a couple feet from other people from different walks of life. Give it about a week to 10 days for people to show symptoms, but then see if it's bad enough for them to get tested or potentially hospitalized.

If a low proportion of protesters do not test positive or get hospitalized, hopefully useful learnings can come out from this. Were many people wearing masks or facial coverings?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
You've never argued stats in the footy forum then?

Admittedly it's a gimp's pastime, but they manage to do it.
Stat nerds annoy me, but you wouldn't have someone come in the United forum for example, with stats showing that the average number of passes McTominay plays per game is going up, and then use it to argue that the number of passes McTominay plays per game "seems to be going down"

Well actually you probably would get someone doing that, bit it'd be because they're an idiot.

Sylar

No they don't.

Honestly havent checked myself, but was reading that the numbers today and yesterday are higher vs same time last week. (but this was posts here and there...) Also read the numbers should be higher but government are producing different numbers (but that was from the day before so yea...).

Need to check myself but was hoping to see some sort of summary somewhere that would make it easier.

Irwin99

No they don't.

The number of deaths seem to be higher than they were a week ago, which was what I was referring to (fairly obviously I thought) though the number of infections has gone down.

Honestly havent checked myself, but was reading that the numbers today and yesterday are higher vs same time last week. (but this was posts here and there...) Also read the numbers should be higher but government are producing different numbers (but that was from the day before so yea...).

Need to check myself but was hoping to see some sort of summary somewhere that would make it easier.
Yep, this is what I meant. New infections have fallen but the deaths seem to have crept back up again.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

The big difference between the protests and the beaches will have been the amount of shouting going on at the protests. Plumes of spittle all over the place. If that doesn’t infect a shit-load of people then we know the virus is almost completely ineffective outdoors. Which would be good news.

F-Red

How catastrophic could these protests be in terms of new infections and deaths?
No data to suggest anything at the minute, the VE day and Bank Holiday crowds were saying this and we've not seen a spike since. 2 weeks and we'll see probably. Without derailing the thread, it's not as catastrophic as people still having to protest about racism in this day in age.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It's an interesting live case study if there ever was one very relevant to the virus. These people were pinned in and obviously getting different loads from other people by touching, laying down, talking, yelling, etc. well within probably a couple feet from other people from different walks of life. Give it about a week to 10 days for people to show symptoms, but then see if it's bad enough for them to get tested or potentially hospitalized.

If a low proportion of protesters do not test positive or get hospitalized, hopefully useful learnings can come out from this. Were many people wearing masks or facial coverings?
Some were, but many people weren't. Going off the photos I've seen, anyway. Lots of people in close proximity, physical contact, etc. I guess we'll find out very soon the impact of all this.

The big difference between the protests and the beaches will have been the amount of shouting going on at the protests. Plumes of spittle all over the place. If that doesn’t infect a shit-load of people then we know the virus is almost completely ineffective outdoors. Which would be good news.
I guess we're conducting a global experiment here on whether social distancing is still necessary. I can't help but look at these images and think "what the feck are you doing" and that's with fully acknowledging how important these protests are. I don't mean to downplay them in any way whatsoever, but that was my first reaction upon seeing these images. Crazy fecking times

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Didn't occur to me that and it is a very good point.

massi83

Does anyone know if Sweden have seriously ramped up their testing? @Regulus Arcturus Black?
Daily cases today was 2214. Their previous record was 812.
Mainly worldometers sucks. Secondly, yes a little more testing, thirdly, they did a bunch of tests to many health care workers and announced it at once. And there is a lot of back-log in Sweden's numbers, so no point in looking at daily numbers for them. Weekend was about 2 deaths and now during week around 70, for example.

Most consistent way to keep an eye on Sweden is to look at hospitalisations.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Mainly worldometers sucks. Secondly, yes a little more testing, thirdly, they did a bunch of tests to many health care workers and announced it at once. And there is a lot of back-log in Sweden's numbers, so no point in looking at daily numbers for them. Weekend was about 2 deaths and now during week around 70, for example.

Most consistent way to keep an eye on Sweden is to look at hospitalisations.
Cheers.
I've mainly been looking at seven day means but that one number just stuck out by a lot.

RK

I think that's the first time since March that the reported UK deaths have increased from a Monday to a Tuesday. It doesn't mean much on it's own, but interesting to see what happens in the next few days.

lynchie

The number of deaths seem to be higher than they were a week ago, which was what I was referring to (fairly obviously I thought) though the number of infections has gone down.

Yep, this is what I meant. New infections have fallen but the deaths seem to have crept back up again.
You can see time series of cases and deaths here : https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga=2.248551297.747417438.1591210245-734824644.1576787809

Essentially all the numbers are dropping still.

Irwin99

You can see time series of cases and deaths here : https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga=2.248551297.747417438.1591210245-734824644.1576787809

Essentially all the numbers are dropping still.
Good to know, thanks. I probably pay too much attention to the daily death toll as opposed to tests positive as an indicator but I keep expecting it to fall to double digit figures. Obviously it will do eventually as the numbers are dropping but it's really sad to see that hundreds of people are still dying on a daily basis.

redshaw

Cases are down to under 2k and last week was lower than the week before by about 400-500.

Looking at two Tuesdays ago it was 545, last Wed/Thurs were 434 and 413 (using Wed/Thurs as it was bank holiday). This Tue which is historically the highest day it was 324 and today 359. It's still trending lower each week despite the seemingly high numbers. It took the UK longer to hit the 500-600 mid range so it's just continuing the long tail downwards so far, we'll see in the coming days but it does look like the week's total will be lower again.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That is interesting. Would love to see the pre-clinical data. The cynic in me sees the way that SEEK talk about a “unique formulation” as them angling for a new patent on an established medicine, to sell it at a premium. It’s a pity they don’t include an arm in the study using ‘normal’ ibuprofen.
It looks like they are using a form of lipid ibuprofen. Interesting as I think that this means they want to move absorption beyond the stomach to (presumably) be distributed around the body by the lymph system. And they are comparing lipid vs normal ibuprofen by the look of it.

I think the idea is that severe covid involves vascular and other systems almost body wide.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast