SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
With Florida's demographic. I that no it is a lost cause. Nearly 30% positivity rate. The next few weeks are going to be brutal.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
With Florida's demographic. I that no it is a lost cause. Nearly 30% positivity rate. The next few weeks are going to be brutal.
US figures are depressing but what the hell is that?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Does anyone know how New York is looking? I had my flights deferred there from March to end of September.. but from what I'm reading America still looks stuffed for a while

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Does anyone know how New York is looking? I had my flights deferred there from March to end of September.. but from what I'm reading America still looks stuffed for a while
Flatlined at around 500-800/day for the past month or so. Given the population and the numbers seen in other states it is under control relatively speaking. States that were hit hard early and have competent leadership are generally doing well.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states/new-york

lynchie

Positive daily tests per total number of daily tests conducted i guess. I thought it was 15-20% though.
Still suggests they're likely missing a lot of cases, which considering their rocketing numbers has to be a concern.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Lots of second wave talk this morning.

Does feel a bit like people are being lulled by things calming down now with hosptial admissions and deaths but the world could be a very bleak place again in Winter. Not really sure there's enough discipline to get through that period particularly as it will be harder to enforce queueing in minus temperatures. Imagine trying to do it when it's snowing.

Not sure how feasible it is for majority of population to get the flu jab. Perhaps that could build up a bit more resistance to covid?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
US figures are depressing but what the hell is that?
It’s how we know that increased testing in the US isn’t an explanation for the huge increase in cases. The numbers of tests being done has increased but so has the % of tests coming back positive.

If testing capacity was adequate you’d expect that % to be single digits. Ideally low single digits. To have it as high as 20-30% means the cases identified are really only the tip of the iceberg.

Water Melon

So I've had a lot of time off. My Dad contracted this disease and died, I was fortunate enough to be at his bedside in April for his last few days, and there has been a lot of stuff to deal with since.

My thoughts are without reading this thread, the government have handled this appallingly, oscillating between Sweden and New Zealand, failure to pick a strategy has been catastrophic. I was never a Boris Johnson fan but this situation has brought out all his worst qualities. I was very anti-lockdown to begin with, and still think full lock down was the wrong decision but I am definitely more humbled and understand the reasons. I am probably where Anders Tegnell is now.

Let's hope there is a long term solution. Being by someone you care about's bedside as they slowly lose the ability to breath and become increasingly frantic at the prospect (until medical professionals knock them out with morphine) is a horrible thing.
I am so sorry, mate. May your Dad's soul rest in eternal peace.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Still suggests they're likely missing a lot of cases, which considering their rocketing numbers has to be a concern.
Precisely so. Positivity rate's generally been increasing too I think. There's a real danger it enters New York territory without the benefit of being locked down.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Positive daily tests per total number of daily tests conducted i guess. I thought it was 15-20% though.
I was being rhetorical, it's an insanely high figure when you consider that they have been testing people for months now. It's the kind of figure that you expect when you have low amount of tests and people that are definitely sick getting tested first. As Pogue suggested it probably means that they are missing a lot of people and a huge amount of people are infected or have been infected in the past months.

Wolverine

Any thoughts on what's going to happen with Leicester? I'm sure it should be up for review soon.
Hospitals haven't been overwhelmed but rates remain higher, particularly inner-city testing data indicates hasn't substantially come down in terms of infected cases per 100,000

The Mirror reckons lockdown will be extended
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/leicester-lockdown-set-extended-coronavirus-22351776

Matt Hancock has told parliament just now that decision whether to lift lockdown will be conveyed "later this week"

Wolverine

Matt Hancock confirms to Parliament that face coverings or masks will be compulsory in shops in England from 24 July. Shops can refuse entry to people not wearing a covering and call the police. The police can issue a fine of £100.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Hospitals haven't been overwhelmed but rates remain higher, particularly inner-city testing data indicates hasn't substantially come down in terms of infected cases per 100,000

The Mirror reckons lockdown will be extended
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/leicester-lockdown-set-extended-coronavirus-22351776

Matt Hancock has told parliament just now that decision whether to lift lockdown will be conveyed "later this week"
Cheers. I was going to tag you actually.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Matt Hancock confirms to Parliament that face coverings or masks will be compulsory in shops in England from 24 July. Shops can refuse entry to people not wearing a covering and call the police. The police can issue a fine of £100.
Good to see, but this part in bold I do not understand. Government here in the states do the same thing (if they put regulations in place in the first place :( ). Why the 10 (or any number) day lag? If it is that critical now that you are putting this in place shouldn't it be done ASAP? If a hurricane was coming tomorrow you would not order an evacuation to begin a week from next Wednesday would you?

Wolverine

Cheers. I was going to tag you actually.
Yeah they're going to look at the data on Thursday but no specific timeframe to when decision will be or what the metrics are to ease lockdown
I reckon the inner city will remain closed and certain outside suburban hotspots or high risk neighbouring areas will remain closed
Cases went up in Oadby for example and easing lockdown here will mean one particular high street where all the restaurants, shops are (the parade) will be full of people which won't be good.

Wolverine

Good to see, but this part in bold I do not understand. Government here in the states do the same thing (if they put regulations in place in the first place :( ). Why the 10 (or any number) day lag? If it is that critical now that you are putting this in place shouldn't it be done ASAP? If a hurricane was coming tomorrow you would not order an evacuation to begin a week from next Wednesday would you?
He was challenged on this specific point by Jonathan Ashworth (regarding the lag) and Matt Hancock's answer was to ask him to watch his tone and pointing out somebody from labour who said they didn't know labour's official policy on masks.

They're making it up as they go along with a facade of competency.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He was challenged on this specific point by Jonathan Ashworth (regarding the lag) and Matt Hancock's answer was to ask him to watch his tone and pointing out somebody from labour who said they didn't know labour's official policy on masks.

They're making it up as they go along with a facade of competency.
Awesome, so just like the States. If my company (major biotech) ran the way our respective governments we would be unable to design, let alone manufacture the components we sell for millions of COVID tests. It would be embarrassing if it was not horrifying.

redshaw

Gives people chance to order/shop for some or research to practice making one, find an old scarf or whatever.

My experience is less than 1% were wearing one from the start (Feb/Mar) up until a few weeks ago, I'd say it's around 5% now with recent news headlines, that's millions who need to get themselves sorted and no doubt as always they'll be sold out soon.

Hopefully some shops can hand them out as I know a lot won't want to buy any and won't be arsed making one.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Don't get too complacent," warns Matt 'Tone' Hancock.

Smores

I arrived at the rare conclusion that i agree with them on the delayed start. Some will be stressed about not already having masks and i think a week or so allows the government to spin for them and ramp up the uptake from the right wing. Retailers need time to plan and people are likely to wear them now anyway.

Obviously they shouldn't have spent months saying they're pointless and why they didn't announce this as part of the reopening is beyond me.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Gives people chance to order/shop for some or research to practice making one, find an old scarf or whatever.

My experience is less than 1% were wearing one from the start (Feb/mar) up until a few weeks ago, I'd say it's around 5%, that's millions who need to get themsleves sorted and no doubt as always they'll be sold out.
Don't buy this argument. A day? sure, why not, but not 10. We are in the middle of a f-ing pandemic, giving people time to do something they already should have already done so that it is "convenient" is utterly ridiculous. If the governments (yours and mine) wanted to give people a head start on being prepared they would have put this in place already. The middle of a pandemic is not time to prioritize convenience, it is the time to prioritize taking measure to save lives.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure if this has been posted but the UK’s handling of the crisis has been one of the worst in the world.

Smores

Lads lads lads! English chavs are certainly our worst export closely followed by Nigel Farage and James Corden.

redshaw

Don't buy this argument. A day? sure, why not, but not 10. We are in the middle of a f-ing pandemic, giving people time to do something they already should have already done so that it is "convenient" is utterly ridiculous. If the governments (yours and mine) wanted to give people a head start on being prepared they would have put this in place already. The middle of a pandemic is not time to prioritize convenience, it is the time to prioritize taking measure to save lives.
What does that even mean?

Headstart is a headstart, if they announce it on April 15th for the 24th to have it in place already then that is the same as any other time.

This started in Feb and it's now mid July, we've gone this long with next to no mask wearing, this "now is not the time" sentence doesn't make sense either.

I get it, you're in the US, it's become heavily political, mask shaming, the whole 9 yards and a total 180 stance on it for a long time now. You have to realize here in UK there has been next to no mask wearing and its hardly been a topic, people are so used to going shops without one. I go to the shops 5 times and see one or two masks, no shop workers at all so to announce it gives people, literally 10s of millions to order some etc. It takes time to have them delivered.

Numbers are low here, this is just a final push after a change of evidence, we're not in the same boat as the US at this time. This is a very calm hey we're doing the mask thing to help with the last few cases so here's a headsup. The atmosphere is totally different to the hysteria in the US over masks right now so calm your jets.

You can shout as much as you want about we should've done this ages ago, government shitshow but that has nothing to do with the headsup point I posted. We're near the end of the first wave, it's backwards way of doing things asking for masks now and almost feels not worth it after so long without.

It's the same in Netherlands by the way with barely any masks, some other European countries don't bother with masks and it's no big deal.

If you go back months ago I was for masks, one of the few.

Last edited:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Lads lads lads! English chavs are certainly our worst export closely followed by Nigel Farage and James Corden.
We really do have an astounding number of dribbling intellectually stunted antisocial scumbags in our population.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So I've had a lot of time off. My Dad contracted this disease and died, I was fortunate enough to be at his bedside in April for his last few days, and there has been a lot of stuff to deal with since.

My thoughts are without reading this thread, the government have handled this appallingly, oscillating between Sweden and New Zealand, failure to pick a strategy has been catastrophic. I was never a Boris Johnson fan but this situation has brought out all his worst qualities. I was very anti-lockdown to begin with, and still think full lock down was the wrong decision but I am definitely more humbled and understand the reasons. I am probably where Anders Tegnell is now.

Let's hope there is a long term solution. Being by someone you care about's bedside as they slowly lose the ability to breath and become increasingly frantic at the prospect (until medical professionals knock them out with morphine) is a horrible thing.
Sorry to hear about your dad mate.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Chicken and egg situation seeing as this is the same government who cut the funding for police forces making it near impossible to actually police anything.
Funny how they are now advertising for Police and Army. Didn't they realise they were short in numbers or something?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Any daily figures for the UK yet?

*Edit - 138 deaths, 398 positives as of 9am today for those interested.

redshaw

UK is 138 deaths 398 cases from government info.

Good to see lowish case numbers for Tue

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
The discrepancy between the figures is mentioned on the UK specific page:

1,240 new cases and 138 new deaths in the United Kingdom. The Government reported 398 new cases today, in addition, the total lab-confirmed cases for Wales now include Pillar 2 tests which means that the total number of UK lab-confirmed cases has increased by 1,240 since yesterday. As the Welsh methodology is improved, some revisions are expected in the next 1 to 2 weeks.