SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Does anyone still wipe down their shopping? We're still doing it and I was wondering how common it is.

Popping out for a few bits from the local Tesco is a bit of a mission now. I obviously wear my mask which is fine, but when I get home I wash my hands, put on washing up gloves and then use an antibac wipe on everything I bought. Then I wipe down the front door handles, my phone, my debit card and anything else I touched.

decorativeed

Does anyone still wipe down their shopping? We're still doing it and I was wondering how common it is.

Popping out for a few bits from the local Tesco is a bit of a mission now. I obviously wear my mask which is fine, but when I get home I wash my hands, put on washing up gloves and then use an antibac wipe on everything I bought. Then I wipe down the front door handles, my phone, my debit card and anything else I touched.
I shop for things I need three days in advance. Get home, put them in a quarantine cupboard or fridge shelf and don't touch them for 72 hours if possible. Exceptions are for fresh veg that will be cooked, then i just wash my hands after handling. I know that might sound extreme, but I've got used to doing it that way now.

RedFish

Was out in Manchester City Centre this afternoon (hardly been out at all these last 3 months, except to work) and i'd guess 75% at least not wearing any kind of mask, including the vast majority of shop assistants.

Feck this shit. 2nd wave here we go!

Carolina Red

Staff
The doctor heading up the Covid task force for the largest hospital system in South Carolina took to TV today and literally begged people to listen to them. The presser was open to the public and some folks tried to argue with him. We’re fecked.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Captain Tom is now Captain Sir Tom. The Queen knighted him in a special ceremony today. God bless him, I doubt if the Queen ever gives an honour to anyone older than herself these days!

Jacko21

Was out in Manchester City Centre this afternoon (hardly been out at all these last 3 months, except to work) and i'd guess 75% at least not wearing any kind of mask, including the vast majority of shop assistants.

Be interesting to see what the uptake of masks is from the 24th July onwards.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

I did it once, I think.

djembatheking

Went to the hospital in Bangor North Wales yesterday to pick a mask up for my father in laws sleep apnoea machine , no one had a mask or gloves on in the hospital .
Called in Morrisons on the way home to get some shopping and again no masks at all on staff , only saw 2 customers . It is over in North Wales .

RedFish

Went to the hospital in Bangor North Wales yesterday to pick a mask up for my father in laws sleep apnoea machine , no one had a mask or gloves on in the hospital .
Called in Morrisons on the way home to get some shopping and again no masks at all on staff , only saw 2 customers . It is over in North Wales .
That's shocking. Where I work you can't even get into the building without putting on a mask and gelling your hands. On the wards especially so.Mind you it's more stringent than it was at the beginning when honestly it seemed like they were making it up day by day. In fact they were.

redshaw

UK 114 deaths and 687 cases

599 total deaths last week

414 so far this week

Potentially a different take on how poorly the U.K. has done. I wonder how Covid deaths are counted in other nations? Perhaps we are not as bad as has been portrayed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53443724
They might be able to cut a few thousand off but we have 65k excess deaths for 67 million population and Spain has about 45k excess deaths with 47 million pop. That's around 950-1000 dead per million for UK and Spain. Belgium is about 800 per million. For western regions there's only NY State and NJ State with higher counts which are 1600 dead per million of 28 million.

With lockdowns elsewhere that weren't hit hard we've seen lower excess deaths than the average so during lockdown these hard hit places may be slightly higher than the excess deaths stats. There's no sugar coating or shuffling the data that removes the excess deaths.

Last edited:

Beans

Supports
Neutral

You probably don't need to wipe everything, apparently it's rare to get infected from surface contact. You need to get a face full of breathing from close range for minutes. Of course it doesn't hurt.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...rfaces-or-animals-revised-cdc-website-states/

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There's hope that significant portions of the population will have immunity from previous infections from other coronaviruses that are common, through T-Cell response. This has yet to be peer reviewed but in the interests of speed a lot of such work is being distributed.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2550-z_reference.pdf
I’m getting a bit jaded with the stuff about T-cells. Even if there is some pre-existing immunity out there, we know for a fact that without social distancing PH measures we quickly reach exponential growth, with rapidly filling hospitals. So whatever protection some of the population might have against infection is already factored into the R number as we understand it now.

The science is interesting, so I get the academic interest but that’s really all it is. I don’t see how research like this will change anything.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Just read that they're counting natural deaths as covid deaths. This whole shit has been a farce.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
If you've had confirmed Covid at any point your death goes down as a Covid death.

So if you had mild Covid in March and in December fall into the crocodile pit at the zoo and get eaten, you "died of Covid19".
Cheers! bonkers.

djembatheking

That's shocking. Where I work you can't even get into the building without putting on a mask and gelling your hands. On the wards especially so.Mind you it's more stringent than it was at the beginning when honestly it seemed like they were making it up day by day. In fact they were.
When I phoned the hospital to tell them the seal was broken on his old mask they asked me if I could go in to pick it up (its 25 miles away) so I said I would be there in an hour or so . I asked if I needed to wear a mask and gloves and they said it was up to me. I did but was shocked when I arrived to see everyone just strolling about as normal . Then going into Morrisons and seeing no masks there, it was busy too as restrictions have been lifted now and beaches and holiday homes are full up which means there is a huge influx in all the shops and garages of people from all over the country. Pubs are outside only but 2 have had to close already , they are all busy. The different paths and walks up Snowdon are covered in litter , dog shit and human shit. There are some horrible disrespectful dirty bastards about.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante

I did before I caught the virus. I'm a bit slacker now. I do wash my hands after putting the shopping away but I don't go nuts any more. Used to get in from work (care home) and strip off at the door. Everything. Bollock naked. Then all the clothes went straight into the washing machine (whose door I'd left open so I wouldn't have to touch it) and then I'd wash my hands before getting dressed. Bear in mind that we take our uniform off before leaving work, and the clothes I wore to go home were only on me for 15 minutes. It's fair to say that I'm not that paranoid about it now that I think I'm likely to be immune, at least in the short term.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If you've had confirmed Covid at any point your death goes down as a Covid death.

So if you had mild Covid in March and in December fall into the crocodile pit at the zoo and get eaten, you "died of Covid19".
That's ridiculous. Is that just in UK or anyhwere else too?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I did before I caught the virus. I'm a bit slacker now. I do wash my hands after putting the shopping away but I don't go nuts any more. Used to get in from work (care home) and strip off at the door. Everything. Bollock naked. Then all the clothes went straight into the washing machine (whose door I'd left open so I wouldn't have to touch it) and then I'd wash my hands before getting dressed. Bear in mind that we take our uniform off before leaving work, and the clothes I wore to go home were only on me for 15 minutes. It's fair to say that I'm not that paranoid about it now that I think I'm likely to be immune, at least in the short term.
How sick did you get? Feeling 100% now?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's ridiculous. Is that just in UK or anyhwere else too?
Let's say it this way, today in France we have 6 less hospital deaths. And if I'm not mistaken the amount of Covid deaths is superior to the amount of excess deaths.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I was out at a couple of shops today (UK) and I was literally the only person there wearing a mask. I don't get it. Aren't they going to fine people soon?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not too dissimilar to what we do. If you were being that careful how do you think you caught it?

Badunk

How sick did you get? Feeling 100% now?
Yeah I'm 100%. I think I caught it from a colleague who coughed half a dozen times on a 12 hour night shift in a room 20 feet away. We tend not to wear masks when the residents are in bed. I walked past the room he was in a few times during the night without my mask on. If it hangs in the air like they reckon, that's the most likely scenario. I literally just went to work and back home without interaction with anyone else for 2 months before I caught it.

Badunk

In terms of how sick I got, I had a couple of days of coughing, a couple of days of sweating, a really bad day of anxiety, then loss of appetite, loss of taste and smell, fatigue, back to coughing and finally a few days of runny nose. Overall, I think I got it mild. I don't have any health issues whatsoever, I eat healthy, I'm lean and I exercise regularly.