SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The news of USA securing advanced doses - I feel like that's a good thing. I would assume if the US is vaccinated, they'd donate/sell the excess vaccines that work. Getting advanced manufacturing is important to get the supply chains going and a lot of countries don't have the money for that. It is good that USA/UK have committed money to it.

As of now, the US has secured at least like 800m doses -- 300m from AstraZeneca, 500m from Pfizer.
That is more than 2 vaccinations for every man woman and child in the US.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Anyone that claims they've done hours of research, and aren't in a medical or science field, generally tend to 'research' areas which only support their agenda. You can add this to any of the conspiracy theorists approach, and usually is done as a method to avoid the burden of proof.
They probably don't really see the problem with them having done hours of research versus someone who's dedicated years of their life to actual research either.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Anyone that claims they've done hours of research, and aren't in a medical or science field, generally tend to 'research' areas which only support their agenda. You can add this to any of the conspiracy theorists approach, and usually is done as a method to avoid the burden of proof.
I think the fact people say "hours" of research implying that "hours" constitutes a lot of research is the real problem.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Oh boy, Doutzen Kroes is now a virologist as well. She has a lot of questions after doing "hours of research" like, Why doesn't anyone tell us to eat vitamins and nutritious foods to combat covid!

My main question is, how does she know about nutrition, I doubt she's ever actually eaten anything in her life.

I'd still marry her.
Probably belongs in the covidiots thread. The comments below are an absolute train wreck. Someone says “You’ve done the research, could you share your answers with us?” To which she replies “Everyone must do their own research, that makes it more powerful “ This pandemic is flushing out feckwits like moths to a flame.

Revan

Assumptionman
The news of USA securing advanced doses - I feel like that's a good thing. I would assume if the US is vaccinated, they'd donate/sell the excess vaccines that work. Getting advanced manufacturing is important to get the supply chains going and a lot of countries don't have the money for that. It is good that USA/UK have committed money to it.

As of now, the US has secured at least like 800m doses -- 300m from AstraZeneca, 500m from Pfizer.
Yup. In addition to whatever Moderna can make.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
No, but we're getting our Country back so it's fine.
"This is not the time" and "we must keep moving forward". Not what you want to hear during the governmental equivalent of driving towards a cliff edge but, you know, Corbyn.

djembatheking

I think we are definitely over the worst of this now. There are people everywhere on holiday in Anglesey now from all over the country and there are no rules about wearing masks in shops and indoors generally so no one does . Most people keep a distance , you do get a few that don`t seem to bother, and there seems to be a lot more elderly folk out and about again . Everyone seems to have accepted it and are just getting on with things and learning to live with it the best they can.

Oh boy, Doutzen Kroes is now a virologist as well. She has a lot of questions after doing "hours of research" like, Why doesn't anyone tell us to eat vitamins and nutritious foods to combat covid!

My main question is, how does she know about nutrition, I doubt she's ever actually eaten anything in her life.

I'd still marry her.
"Do your research" has become a pet peeve of mine. Unless by do your research you mean embarking on a Phd in epidemiology. The first science book I ever read was A Brief History of Time but it didn't make me an expert on cosmology, and that's probably 100x more in depth than any 'research' these hoax nutcases are doing. It's the perfect example of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

F-Red

Interesting report on outbreak in Israeli school. 13% of students & 16.6% of staff were infected, with associated spread to contacts outside school. Not really what we want to be hearing about with schools 6 weeks away from opening.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.29.2001352
Schools have always been the super spreaders in society sadly, the amount of times sickness comes into our workplace as someone's child has picked up something at school is unbelievable.

Flying high

Interesting report on outbreak in Israeli school. 13% of students & 16.6% of staff were infected, with associated spread to contacts outside school. Not really what we want to be hearing about with schools 6 weeks away from opening.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.29.2001352
Indeed. I have some knowledge of 4 local schools. All are planning to maintain 'bubbles' when they return. None of these bubbles will be maintained for the full day due to pupils or staff switching bubbles at different times for various(apparently unavoidable) reasons. While the precautions the schools take may help to reduce the risk of spread, I'm not at all convinced they are worth the effort, cost, disruption or psychological impact on the children.

redshaw

UK 53 deaths and 769 cases

I would've thought there would be a common theme with these ~600 cases per day if looked into and traced and we could target this by now. Or even just some info about them could help.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
"Do your research" has become a pet peeve of mine. Unless by do your research you mean embarking on a Phd in epidemiology. The first science book I ever read was A Brief History of Time but it didn't make me an expert on cosmology, and that's probably 100x more in depth than any 'research' these hoax nutcases are doing. It's the perfect example of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
I hate "do your research" as a response when you call someone up on their bogus claims. The burden of proof isn't on me, numbnuts.

I also find it funny that Boris is trying to hang off the coat tails of the rest of the UK by saying that all of us have been successful in dealing with Coronavirus. I'm only seeing one country with high deaths and infections in this union, Boris. Get your own shit in order for the sake of everyone instead of trying to make yourself look good with these pathetic photo ops.

Carolina Red

Staff
Lost the first person I knew, and knew well, to Covid today. My boss’ dad and a major donor to our wrestling program. He battled it for 5 weeks before it finally took him.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Lost the first person I knew, and knew well, to Covid today. My boss’ dad and a major donor to our wrestling program. He battled it for 5 weeks before it finally took him.
Sorry to hear that. Thoughts and prayers with all of you at this time.

lynchie

Unsurprisingly, they were in over-crowded, poorly ventilated classrooms. That's really basic stuff that schools should be on top of.

The paper doesn't seem to report on secondary infection from the kids going home. In other studies, it's appeared to be quite rare.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Unsurprisingly, they were in over-crowded, poorly ventilated classrooms. That's really basic stuff that schools should be on top of.

The paper doesn't seem to report on secondary infection from the kids going home. In other studies, it's appeared to be quite rare.
Yeah, true. Also looks like nobody got particularly sick.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Numbers in Belgium have increased drastically in the last 10-14 days or so. Government had the option to act quickly yesterday and put heavier restrictions in place again, but they refused to do so and now it's obvious that things will only go downhill again from here. By this rate we're gonna be in another sort of lockdown by the end of August, if not sooner.

The ineptitude of our politicians is abhorrent.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Numbers in Belgium have increased drastically in the last 10-14 days or so. Government had the option to act quickly yesterday and put heavier restrictions in place again, but they refused to do so and now it's obvious that things will only go downhill again from here. By this rate we're gonna be in another sort of lockdown by the end of August, if not sooner.

The ineptitude of our politicians is abhorrent.
Are your politicians being blamed for the high mortality of your first wave? What did they do wrong?

Smores

Over-crowded and poorly ventilated is nearly every English class room isn't it?

We'll see as much if not more here in England in September but I'm hopeful such outbreaks will be contained.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Are your politicians being blamed for the high mortality of your first wave? What did they do wrong?
A few of them are, mostly because of their late reaction regarding the situation in elderly homes, and the fact that skiers coming back from affected areas in Austria and Northern Italy in February weren't advised to self-quarantine at home. Appropriately addressing those two issues would've prevented a lot of deaths imo. I think the general public was fine with the initial lockdown, it was maybe a week or so too late but that wasn't too bad - we were also still allowed to exercise outside which was great.

The situation now is a mess though. We lack strong leadership, the top politicians don't even follow the advice from the expert counsel they put together themselves, and they carry out one message during a press conference in the afternoon then say something completely different in a talkshow at night. It's so hard to follow and the rules they impose are so arbitrary. We're walking right into a new disaster and everyone but them seems to notice it. Regarding the reaction of the public, Twitter thinks there should be heavier restrictions while Facebook is angry they're obliged to wear face masks in stores and public places (and the whole of Instagram seems to be on vacation in St. Tropez and Ibiza, partying away). It all doesn't make sense, but a child can see that this will end wrong if they just keep advising people to "use their common sense". That doesn't work here.

lynchie

Over-crowded and poorly ventilated is nearly every English class room isn't it?

We'll see as much if not more here in England in September but I'm hopeful such outbreaks will be contained.
Not necessarily, modern classrooms tend to have some ok minimum standards applied, and most of the autumn term you can keep windows open without much bother.

There likely will be outbreaks in September, but we're down to fairly low prevalence now, so it should be possible to identify and isolate them effectively.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Many of whom will take a sports doco like The Last Dance, and consider it debunked by “MJ Made it so you can’t trust it”.

It’s almost impossible for something truly neutral, balanced, honest and fair, to be the top result for a topic, on any platform. That’s not how these systems work.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Not necessarily, modern classrooms tend to have some ok minimum standards applied, and most of the autumn term you can keep windows open without much bother.

There likely will be outbreaks in September, but we're down to fairly low prevalence now, so it should be possible to identify and isolate them effectively.
After much pestering I obtained a copy of my sons schools risk assessments - no consideration to ventilation had been given

I chose not to send my son back because there were other huge flaws in their risk assessments and procedures.

I think schools will potentially be on the hook for huge claims is they have this approach and there is an outbreak

If I opened our business with the same level of planning I'd expect to be sued by staff... I suspect schools and teachers unions will have a huge run in come September probably with big walk outs / strike action

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
A few of them are, mostly because of their late reaction regarding the situation in elderly homes, and the fact that skiers coming back from affected areas in Austria and Northern Italy in February weren't advised to self-quarantine at home. Appropriately addressing those two issues would've prevented a lot of deaths imo. I think the general public was fine with the initial lockdown, it was maybe a week or so too late but that wasn't too bad - we were also still allowed to exercise outside which was great.

The situation now is a mess though. We lack strong leadership, the top politicians don't even follow the advice from the expert counsel they put together themselves, and they carry out one message during a press conference in the afternoon then say something completely different in a talkshow at night. It's so hard to follow and the rules they impose are so arbitrary. We're walking right into a new disaster and everyone but them seems to notice it. Regarding the reaction of the public, Twitter thinks there should be heavier restrictions while Facebook is angry they're obliged to wear face masks in stores and public places (and the whole of Instagram seems to be on vacation in St. Tropez and Ibiza, partying away). It all doesn't make sense, but a child can see that this will end wrong if they just keep advising people to "use their common sense". That doesn't work here.
:lol: A perfect summary of the different type of person that prefers each of those networks.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Had to go to the shops after work and seeing so many people wearing really loose masks which they also have under their nose is infuriating.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Can't really solve the overcrowding problem though. Not unless every student ends up getting half days, and even then the rooms will probably still be overcrowded if they're meant to maintain a 1m distance between people.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's the second day in a row that France registers +1000 new cases. It seems that we are going to have a new epidemic.

2200 cases in Spain today, 200 or so in Sweden, 300 or so in Portugal.
Norway added Spain to their red list, UK added 5 new countries to their green list and kept Spain on the green list. They also kept Portugal and Sweden in red.
You couldn’t make up how stupid the UK system/response has been since day 1.

redshaw

What is open and not in France Belgium and Spain to cause the rise? Spain seems rather worrying and we're told nearly everyone is wearing masks?

I'd put bars/pubs cafes as big vectors as well as gyms.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
2200 cases in Spain today, 200 or so in Sweden, 300 or so in Portugal.
Norway added Spain to their red list, UK added 5 new countries to their green list and kept Spain on the green list. They also kept Portugal and Sweden in red.
You couldn’t make up how stupid the UK system/response has been since day 1.
People need to go to Benidorm, you know.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is open and not in France Belgium and Spain to cause the rise? Spain seems rather worrying and we're told nearly everyone is wearing masks?

I'd put bars/pubs cafes as big vectors as well as gyms.
The difference is essentially bars, pubs and restaurants being reopen and people going back to work. The increase in France isn't huge, we have had had days in the 600-700 but it's a symbolic increase nonetheless.