SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You can’t start putting areas in and out of lockdown. No one is going to take it seriously now.
Surely that's the best way to deal with clusters? The other alternative is to put the whole country back in lockdown even the places that haven't had a single confirmed case since June.

F-Red

Stinks of a short term measure to stop Eid celebrations, i'm afraid just without saying it directly.
I think it has some element to the measures but not the whole reason, there was some issues with a funeral attended by 250 (with no social distancing) at a mosque in Blackburn.

RonaldoVII

So I could start getting rat arsed down the pub nightly with my mates, but can't consider having my mum round to help out with our 12-week-old.
The rule has been you're only allowed to sit inside a pub/restaurant with one other household yet that's been ignored from the start.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Change of plan, you can!

Source in DHSC confirms (contrary to earlier steer) that emphasis of new guidance will be on household transmission (so no going to houses of family/friends). It WILL be allowed to meet with others in pubs/restaurants BUT govt is "encouraging vigilance" in these settings.
'emphasis' .... 'encouraging vigilance' ... 'no going' .... 'will be allowed'.

What does this even mean?!
You can spin it whatever way you choose, and it's not being enforced by anyone anyway!
How are people even OK with this shitshow?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The UK response just seems like an utter mish mash clusterfeck, with no clear idea or strategy since day one.
Thailand has similar population as UK and even more international travel activity in and out of Bangkok and Phuket. I observed how organised and comprehensive Thailand COVID-19 plan was since March. They took every action required long before UK did, and with non negotiable and militant severity.

To date Thailand had 3,300 cases and 58 deaths. Their economy is now growing again.
To date UK had 300,000 cases and 46,000 dead. UK economy still in decline.

Middle Eastern states like UAE have similar stats. There are several others.

The difference is those nations put their peoples health above economy. And that's the best way to protect your economy!

UK has really suffered from 'British exceptionalism' arrogance. eg: science led approach only accepted UK sponsored science ... ie our experts refused to accept Korean or Thai science as legitimate.

Last edited:

Wolverine

'emphasis' .... 'encouraging vigilance' ... 'no going' .... 'will be allowed'.

What does this even mean?!
You can spin it whatever way you choose, and it's not being enforced by anyone anyway!
How are people even OK with this shitshow?
No idea. More here.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-on-gatherings-in-some-parts-of-northern-england

The government will sign new regulations to make these changes legally enforceable.
The regulations will give local authorities and police forces the powers to enforce these restrictions and more details on these will be set out when the regulations are published.
Households may go to hospitality, for instance bars and pubs, but new guidance will make clear that two households should not go to hospitality together.
Full guidance will be published on gov.uk/DHSC

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Surely that's the best way to deal with clusters? The other alternative is to put the whole country back in lockdown even the places that haven't had a single confirmed case since June.
It is if people do it. Maybe enough still will, but I bet many won’t now.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I thought I read somewhere last week that there were new tests for the virus that could give an answer in an hour or so and were thought to be pretty accurate? Has anyone else seen anything about this?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I see Vietnam have had their first Covid death, unfortunately. It appears to be local transmission, which is more worrying for the authorities.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53606917
Fiji, too. After they did so well to keep it out altogether, a 66-year old has died in Fiji who recently had a heart surgery in India.

He was already in border quarantine so hopefully they should still be fine going forward.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The rule has been you're only allowed to sit inside a pub/restaurant with one other household yet that's been ignored from the start.
When you have the concept of the "local", that rule is nonsense anyway. You don't need to arrange to meet up with other people when you know there is a high chance people will be at a certain pub or bar by habit.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Our cases have started climbing back up. Almost 700 today and government is considering putting more restrictions in place again... they're looking at quarantining people coming back from holidays which I don't think is actually going to help that much. They should just ban weddings (allowed up to 150 people now, and are the most significant points of spread) and put out heavier punishments for not wearing masks when required (a lot of people seem to be doing that recently because they have been 'enlightened' by the Internet about fake pandemic).

Smores

Have many here been back in bars and restaurants yet? Is it back to normal or are people actually distancing?

It occurs to me that given I've barely left my house apart from food, childcare and haircut so I've little concept of what the world is like.

F-Red

Have many here been back in bars and restaurants yet? Is it back to normal or are people actually distancing?
I've been to about 4/5 pubs and bars and every single one has been spot on for distancing and measures. All places required booking, and clear instructions as we walked in. I think people see a few photos of Soho and assume every bar/pub is like that, every one I've been to it's been quite clear that the licensee wants to keep their place open so they can make money, and because of that they're on top of the requirements.

Santos J

It occurs to me that given I've barely left my house apart from food, childcare and haircut so I've little concept of what the world is like.
Same as @F-Red said for me, all have been really good in terms of distancing/measures where I've been in. A lot better than shops/supermarkets etc. but obviously it's a bit easier to implement.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Only went to one during a walk a couple of days ago. Sat in the beer garden. There were only around 8 of us in a large space and we were all distanced very well. Staff at the door to show you to your seats and everything was done within 2m of each other. I don’t think I’d be up for going to an indoor pub or restaurant anytime soon but the way we managed to do it in this pub visit was the same as if I was going to the grocery store.

hmchan

Our great Chief Executive once proposed that pubs were allowed to stay open but they couldn't sell alcoholic drinks. A few days ago she banned dining in restaurants for lunch and people had no choice but to eat on the street under the humid, hot weather like beggars.

Bosws87

As much of a shambles as this local lockdown has been announced on twitter unclear and ambiguous.

The point about it being managed better in pubs and restaurants is actually true from my experience out in Manchester City centre everywhere has been well organised and as sensible as possible.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

I've been to a couple and they were both taking it very seriously so felt very safe. Bookings for both, details given on entry. One had no seats indoors at all and table service outside and the other was my local craft beer shop who only have 3 small tables spaced apart inside when it becomes a bar from 7pm on Friday and Saturday. They're getting outdoor benches today.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Our great Chief Executive once proposed that pubs were allowed to stay open but they couldn't sell alcoholic drinks. A few days ago she banned dining in restaurants for lunch and people had no choice but to eat on the street under the humid, hot weather like beggars.
That seems a bit daft and pointless.

Drifter

American
Hong Kong as postponed elections for a year citing Coronavirus. More fuel for Trump.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Ffs. I thought the shielding pause would have been scrapped by the government in line with the increase of cases in the UK. My 67 year old Mum with a severe lung condition seems hell bent on returning to work at her school and I can't stop her from returning unfortunately. She does 4 hour days, three days a week and get's minimum wage. She doesn't need the extra cash and they don't even appreciate her there anyway. It is so frustrating that she is risking her own health because she is bored of staying at home.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The Greater Manchester ‘local lockdown’ is a bit bogus. I went into town this morning (Rochdale) all the shops and pubs are still open, people still walking around without masks, literally nothing has actually changed.

onemanarmy

The Greater Manchester ‘local lockdown’ is a bit bogus. I went into town this morning (Rochdale) all the shops and pubs are still open, people still walking around without masks, literally nothing has actually changed.
Antwerp is in a semi-lockdown, and it shows. Hardly any people on the streets, very quiet on the roads, everyone is wearing a mask, even indoor in the office. Hopefully it pays off.

Santos J

Nothing was supposed to change with regards to shops/pubs etc. It's meeting in households that's been restricted.

Dec9003

Nothing was supposed to change with regards to shops/pubs etc. It's meeting in households that's been restricted.
I get that, but then that isn’t really lockdown, or at least it’s not the lockdown we had previously.
It’s a lovely day today, more pubs are open in Rochdale town centre than last week.
The thing with people not being allowed to go to others houses is it won’t be policed, people will just ignore that rule if they want to go to their families or mates for a brew.

Dec9003

Antwerp is in a semi-lockdown, and it shows. Hardly any people on the streets, very quiet on the roads, everyone is wearing a mask, even indoor in the office. Hopefully it pays off.
Hopefully mate, If it’s as bad as they say it is I wish we’d do the same but. Seems likely to get worse here as things open rather than better though.

redshaw

UK 120 deaths and 880 cases.

Looks like we're joining the resurgence party in Europe and we never got the numbers down enough to begin with.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Let's hope this resurgence is nipped in the bud. I wouldn't advocate introducing full lockdown measures but governments should go back a stage if necessary.

People might also be becoming too relaxed and need to correct their behaviour

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
UK 120 deaths and 880 cases.

Looks like we're joining the resurgence party in Europe and we never got the numbers down enough to begin with.
I'm genuinely scared at how bad this "second" wave is going to be.

sugar_kane

A second wave is clearly going to happen (if it isn't happening already) but it would be helpful if a bit more scrutiny was applied to how case data is being gathered, eg. how many people are being tested vs. 2/3 months ago, and are the tests more effective?

I'm genuinely interested to know whether 3,000 daily cases in Spain (for example) today is the equivalent to 3,000 daily cases in Spain in May. Not that it should make us any less vigilant (it absolutely shouldn't) but it helps us better understand what is happening with the disease and how effective the treatments and measures in place are.

Also on the topic of Spain, what the hell is going on with their deaths data? It's basically 2 a day for weeks now, it can't possibly be true.