SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is this based upon new covid cases.
I had the impression that France had a more stringent lockdown than the UK. And that people in general were more accepting of the wearing of face masks.
We have been out of lockdown since the end of May and unless you totally suppress the virus it's going to comeback when you are out of a stringent lockdown. And while people are allegedly more accepting of face masks, you only need one or two person that don't care and you can infect an household or coworkers.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Think if you dig down on the latest data coming from hospitals (where the majority of people die), the average amounts of death is about 10-15 per day in NHS england and wales. So I rekon a lot of the deaths recording on the daily figure are backdated. ONS figure is about 55k for whole country. I would keep an eye on the weekly ONS data for any second wave.
Ah, you might be right. We probably under reported in the beginning as well I'm guessing?

I genuinely don’t get the anger towards people on a beach. Listen, I am not going myself as I find beaches annoying anyway. But surely they’re outside and distanced?
Probably just because it's a place filled with people and we instinctively think "people = bad", so the sight of a large group of folk right now looks like hundreds of folk individually holding bombs.

We go for walks on the local promenade and it's always just small groups of two or three taking their dogs for runs, making space for other groups who walk past and all that. But, having said that, I live in an SNP stronghold so social distancing works here because;

1) it's like giving the Tories the middle finger
2) SNP voters tend to make me nauseous.

The problem occurs when you then come across the selfish bastard type who won't inconvenience themselves by moving out of the way. That's when "distancing" just becomes a word and not a practice, which then makes the decision to go to the beach a bad one. Unless you're an antagonist prick like me and you tell them to move the feck out of the way or you stretch your elbow into them as you cross paths.

9 deaths, 379 new cases in Italy. This is an alarming increase in new cases.
And in new areas this time, Lombardy's cases are still low. I'm not too worried for now as we have such a massive testing and ICU capacity after the first wave.

I'm currently in Abruzzo and people look at me like I'm an alien wearing a mask.

Reddevildans

Ah, you might be right. We probably under reported in the beginning as well I'm guessing?

Theres an ongoing enquiry going on why we getting deaths over 100+ into july when theres been a huge reduction in live deaths in hospitals. My guess is huge backdating and care home deaths being recorded at a slow pace. Remember we had around 20k deaths in care homes. And theres been instances where covid has been diagnosed months ago and if the patient subsequently dies from something other than covid it's been registered as covid.

Hospitalizations and the numbers of patients in hospitals are the data we need to look out for as well as new cases as we know it takes weeks to months to see any rise in deaths.

What I find odd are the figures in places like spain. It was decimated earlier on and thier numbers simply dont make sense after they past thier peak. To keep recording 2 deaths a day seems bizarre.

fergieisold

The stats in France show that it's coming back. Strangely enough it's mainly in the same places than before the lockdown, Paris and in general the northern part of the country with Marseille, Lyon and the Gard. Guyane and Mayenne are the only regions that weren't really touched before and they seem to be out of control.
I’ve made it down to Biarritz, I stayed one night in Le Mans, the hotel was really strict with masks and hygiene which was good.

general observations on the drive down were that northern regions service stations were awful, very little social distancing by people and no gloves or sanitiser at petrol pumps. Once I got further south towards and past Bordeaux everything seemed better with regards to hygiene.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I genuinely don’t get the anger towards people on a beach. Listen, I am not going myself as I find beaches annoying anyway. But surely they’re outside and distanced?
I think it’s mainly people think the decision to travel to spend the day on a beach is selfish in current circumstances. The crowding on the beach is (hopefully) not going to transmit any virus but the associated crowds at toilets, shops, service stations etc are more risky.

I’m in two minds about it myself. We’re being encouraged not to travel overseas so a lot of people are on those beaches because they think they’re doing the right thing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’ve made it down to Biarritz, I stayed one night in Le Mans, the hotel was really strict with masks and hygiene which was good.

general observations on the drive down were that northern regions service stations were awful, very little social distancing by people and no gloves or sanitiser at petrol pumps. Once I got further south towards and past Bordeaux everything seemed better with regards to hygiene.
I haven't been in the regions with high incidences so your experience could be an answer. My experience in the south is that people clearly changed their behaviours, social distance and are wearing masks in crowded areas, public transports and shops.

Or sensible health protection as we call it. Regulation by the state is exactly for this purpose - when society needs to be protected from itself.
As the upper respiratory virus graphs show in every country, literally millions of lives could be “saved” every year with curfews, lockdowns, closing down of society etc.
Countries and their citizens are gonna have to learn to live with this.

cyberman

As the upper respiratory virus graphs show in every country, literally millions of lives could be “saved” every year with curfews, lockdowns, closing down of society etc.
And we are? Its the people that think we should get back to normal that needs a reality check.
This is the new normal. We are already living it.

And we are? Its the people that think we should get back to normal that needs a reality check.
This is the new normal. We are already living it.
I’m not talking about “normal”, just non state controlled curfews etc.
I’m also with Wummy regarding the beaches, that needs to be part of the new normal, outdoor life in your own country.

cyberman

I’m not talking about “normal”, just non state controlled curfews etc.
I’m also with Wummy regarding the beaches, that needs to be part of the new normal, outdoor life in your own country.
I totally agree with your last point.
Staycations are also the near future of holyidaying imo. Thats one of the biggest realities we need to come to terms with

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We have been out of lockdown since the end of May and unless you totally suppress the virus it's going to comeback when you are out of a stringent lockdown. And while people are allegedly more accepting of face masks, you only need one or two person that don't care and you can infect an household or coworkers.
Pretty much as I thought. Thanks.
It seems like some people need to be constantly reminded that this is a real killer virus.
And essentially, our primary action remains social distancing plus face covering.
But there will always be those who just don't listen and don't care.
And they are the real danger.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Is this based upon new covid cases.
I had the impression that France had a more stringent lockdown than the UK. And that people in general were more accepting of the wearing of face masks.
It’s been really random to be honest. We have two supermarkets from the same chain nearby, one giant one and one smaller one. I visit both fairly regularly. Some days the smaller one has been full of people without masks, then the bigger one maybe 75% of people wore them.

They’ve very recently enforced that masks are mandatory indoors though, so shops are 100% masks now. People in pubs are still only wearing them when absolutely forced to though. You’re supposed to put them on if you move around the pub/go to the loo etc, but hardly anyone bothers as the night goes on. Buses where masks are also mandatory have lots of people getting on wearing a mask and then just pulling it down around their neck once they have a seat.

It’s around 40C here at the moment which really isn’t helping, but also lots of people are just being dicks.

djembatheking

I have got no issues with people on the beaches but when that quantity of people descend on the beach they also go into the local shops, cafes,pubs and garages and in Wales no one wears masks.

F-Red

It's probably safer than being in a supermarket, it's just people see any form of volume of people and then equate it to a rise in cases. Let's be honest, the last uproar of Bournemouth weeks ago didn't really result in a spike in cases in that area.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I think my main annoyance is the littering, pathetic maybe, but I'm lucky enough to live about a mile from the sea, and I generally go for a run down their most mornings and have done since I moved in here about 7 years ago, and every morning at the moment the beach is just caked in litter far beyond what it is normally like in the summer. Maybe that's because more people are going I dunno. But my brain goes if they don't care about picking up their own crap, what else don't they care about. Maybe this is harsh but that's where my brain goes.

fergieisold

I haven't been in the regions with high incidences so your experience could be an answer. My experience in the south is that people clearly changed their behaviours, social distance and are wearing masks in crowded areas, public transports and shops.
The guy that runs the restaurant here said so far they’ve escaped the worst of the pandemic. He doesn’t know anybody that has been ill...yet.

interestingly very few English here at the moment...seems they’ve all gone to Cornwall instead looking at the news. The site here is about 80% of normal i would say.

going back to the service stations one of them didn’t have any soap! I was having a right panic...I touched every soap dispenser trying to get soap and NOTHING!

Smores

The other day I asked my friend in Italy to link media stories from Italy and my word the difference to the UK is night and day.

When I compare, it is a complete different story. Over there, they have recovery figures and the media reports it. They have had news stories of all the positives. They have had newsreaders revisit the hardest hit areas, interviewing people, interviewing the medical staff in Lombardy and show pictures of what the hospitals now look with it being empty. Very positive news coming from every area, and the media are reporting it.

This is why moral is now at a high in Italy. Things have eased, people still respect the distancing, people are happy to be getting on with life.

Here, we have mixed signals. We have the media reporting every day that there will be a 2nd wave, show us photo enhanced pictures of crowded places to try and turn the public against each other, us being told to be wary of others, like we are all lepers.

The media has made the situation worse than it already was. And now they can't blame huge death numbers, they post about how we will all be in danger again when it gets colder.

Our media is psychotic
Why are you always so dramatic about press coverage? It's like reading Trumps thoughts at times.

There isn't this wave of negativity you think there is you just seemingly have a very bad reaction to hearing anything negative. Largely people are too relaxed rather than cowering in fear indoors. I mean it took mask wearing to become law before people even bothered to wear them.

decorativeed

It's probably safer than being in a supermarket, it's just people see any form of volume of people and then equate it to a rise in cases. Let's be honest, the last uproar of Bournemouth weeks ago didn't really result in a spike in cases in that area.
BBC said that but same article quoted cases rising by 50% there. Seemed a weird take on it. Also, many of those going to the beach would be travelling in from further afield, and so wouldn't be represented in local case numbers if they did get infected.

decorativeed

I think my main annoyance is the littering, pathetic maybe, but I'm lucky enough to live about a mile from the sea, and I generally go for a run down their most mornings and have done since I moved in here about 7 years ago, and every morning at the moment the beach is just caked in litter far beyond what it is normally like in the summer. Maybe that's because more people are going I dunno. But my brain goes if they don't care about picking up their own crap, what else don't they care about. Maybe this is harsh but that's where my brain goes.
That's where my brain goes too. It's an indicator that they don't care about doing what's right for everyone, just what's easiest for themselves.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
People who litter beaches are horrible shits with no respect for anything. They should be put down like rabid dogs.

Carolina Red

Staff
Damn, Germany. Looks like Covid isn’t the only contagious thing making its rounds.

“Thousands of protesters gathered in Berlin on Saturday to march against restrictions implemented due to the coronavirus pandemic, claiming the measures violate individuals' rights.

Demonstrators gathered in downtown Berlin near the Brandenburg Gate, with few wearing masks and people chanting, "We're here and we're loud, because we are being robbed of our freedom," The Associated Press reported.“

https://thehill.com/policy/internat...ch-against-coronavirus-restrictions-in-berlin

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Also despite it looking horrendous, I don't think much evidence exists that shows previous packed beaches have led to increased cases. It seems to me that indoor meetings with friends and family or others are the areas to be concerned about.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
'Russia plans mass vaccination campaign in October'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53621708

Whether it's wise or unwise I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it. Unless I've missed a load of stuff, which is always possible.
The modern day 'space race', though I fear the consequences for the Russian people. Surely they are not that insane to risk the lives of millions of people to try and get one over on the west?

hobbers

Those Berlin protests almost put the anti-lockdown protests in Florida or Texas to shame. Did not expect that from Germans.

Anustart89

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/01/mask-face-coverings-i-cant-wear-one-health-reasons

I agree with the article, but is there a point in the 'if you can't wear a mask (for health reasons) you shouldn't be out'? My parentheses, but that's what the victim is basically saying.

I think there may be an argument that that should be the case.
Abuse is never on but I'd like some explanation as to how a chronic pain condition and psychiatric issues should make you exempt from wearing a mask outside.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I popped in to the local beer garden for an hour today for the second time as I knew there would be hardly anyone there. Was told there was full on fighting last night from people celebrating a birthday,

feck that am not going back for weeks. Why are people so selfish and stupid?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We have vaccines and treatments for everything else this dangerous. The world is going to get fecked with the current casual attitude, the upsurge has already started in many places and it is still summer.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The state of Victoria just went into Stage 4 lockdown after another day of over 600 infections. Curfew from 8pm to 5am, compulsory face masks and many businesses closed from Weds night. Regional Victoria has gone to stage 3. Too many people ignoring the existing regulations has forced the government's hand. 25% of people who were meant to be self isolating after contact tracing identified them of being at risk weren't at home when police checked. feckwits.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The state of Victoria just went into Stage 4 lockdown after another day of over 600 infections. Curfew from 8pm to 5am, compulsory face masks and many businesses closed from Weds night. Regional Victoria has gone to stage 3. Too many people ignoring the existing regulations has forced the government's hand. 25% of people who were meant to be self isolating after contact tracing identified them of being at risk weren't at home when police checked. feckwits.
Wibble, are people still allowed to go to work?. I think I saw on the news some mention of people going to work.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Wibble, are people still allowed to go to work?. I think I saw on the news some mention of people going to work.
I think that is TBA but I think many places will have to shut. Schools going back to online for most students. 6 weeks minimum.

All from 1 booty call FFS.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
No comments on the Russian vaccine due out in October?
Reports say they’re going to give it to doctors and teachers first. I think they should start with the politburo, then the mid level party members. Then if it’s safe the doctors, nurses and teachers.