SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think the school and class should remain open and parents of the infected kid should isolate.
If anyone else gets symptoms, isolate.
Sending entire classes home for two weeks is a recipe for another utterly fecked semester.
In our school we follow the health advice in ireland. So if pupil A shows symptoms he/she is taken to isolation room until parents pick the kid up.
Classes are split into smaller pods so we asked what about the other 4-5 other kids in the pod? After all they are all sitting closely together. We were told that only the kid with the possible infection should go home. Siblings? Again they stay at school. It’s a bit of a grey area. My opinion is the close contacts in the pods and siblings should stay home until it’s proven if they are negative. Kids should also stay at home for 48 hours if they have sniffles.

An annoying side effect is that kids will still be expected to stay under the same Limit for sick days from school. But common sense will say that kids will be in and out of school much more during this. Potentially some kids could in theory be kicked out of school for absence or have the parents reported to the appropriate bodies

golden_blunder

Staff
Have you seen the gatherings outside uk schools? No, thought not
At our school, parents queue nicely 2 meters apart whilst waiting to pickup kids. But as soon as the bell goes they all swarm towards the gate. Pointless. Noticed several parents not wearing their masks properly or just putting it on seconds before the teachers see them

golden_blunder

Staff
Just had to cancel a medical procedure that I was due to have tomorrow as both my kids are home with sniffles. I’ve got a sore ear and sniffles myself.

Squeaky Bumtime

At our school, parents queue nicely 2 meters apart whilst waiting to pickup kids. But as soon as the bell goes they all swarm towards the gate. Pointless. Noticed several parents not wearing their masks properly or just putting it on seconds before the teachers see them
Similar here in Croatia. They have all these measures but most of them are really hard to implement or one negates the other.

Here a big problem is people not getting medical treatment due to whole system being adapted to the virus or just so someone doesn't spread the virus in hospitals or get it there. It can't go on like this, they need to work something out so everybody can get their medical treatment. I cant go to the dentist cause they work just with urgent patients but that's nothing compared to people who are treated for cancer and the such.

On the other side of the spectrum we had a so called Freedom festival over the weekend. Organizers said it wasnt a protest but as sure as hell it looked like one although they had a DJ (one singer who is an antiwaxer and a moron) and they didnt articulate their opinions other than - oh bring back our freedom and measures need to be based on facts. What facts are those they dont even know.

Social networks are swarming with people saying it's made up or its a satanists' work or something, all of a sudden everybody is an expert on viruses, epidemics and the such. Crazy stuff.

Colleague at work of course has a theory nobody dies of the virus and that Pasteur made a big mistake starting a war on viruses,something like that. He got all of that expertise while listening to some podcasts to no end. I said say that to people who lost someone but luckily boss shut him down.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just had to cancel a medical procedure that I was due to have tomorrow as both my kids are home with sniffles. I’ve got a sore ear and sniffles myself.
Fingers crossed for you pal.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In the hospital I'm working in we're dealing with a few cases like this. The cardiac complications, especially, are difficult to handle.

Mysterious Post-COVID Syndrome Affecting Kids Appears to Be Even Worse Than We Thought
https://www.sciencealert.com/myster...severely-damaging-kids-hearts-new-study-shows
It’s scary but let’s not forget that nasty post viral syndromes like this have been around for ages, triggered by lots of fairly benign viruses. What we’re seeing here is really just covid being added to the list of viruses that can cause a syndrome like this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
In our school we follow the health advice in ireland. So if pupil A shows symptoms he/she is taken to isolation room until parents pick the kid up.
Classes are split into smaller pods so we asked what about the other 4-5 other kids in the pod? After all they are all sitting closely together. We were told that only the kid with the possible infection should go home. Siblings? Again they stay at school. It’s a bit of a grey area. My opinion is the close contacts in the pods and siblings should stay home until it’s proven if they are negative. Kids should also stay at home for 48 hours if they have sniffles.

An annoying side effect is that kids will still be expected to stay under the same Limit for sick days from school. But common sense will say that kids will be in and out of school much more during this. Potentially some kids could in theory be kicked out of school for absence or have the parents reported to the appropriate bodies
Just found out about a really annoying trend in Dublin 6/4. Loads of families have pissed off to their holiday homes in Quinta De Lago for August then decided they didn’t want to quarantine on return, so fake symptoms to their GP in order to get whole family tested. When they get a negative test they immediately stop isolating. Phil Hogan levels of shit-housery.

Squeaky Bumtime

My daughter had a 1st day at school yesterday, she was really excited. On the outside everything looked normal but once older kids with masks on started to come out it looked a bit scary. Teacher came and called them by their names to enter so she went in there with the missus who had a mask on. Today we had to go in in a back entrance so kids dont mix up but like @golden_blunder said kids were mixing near the entrance anyway so it all doesnt make much sense.
I just hope school will go on as long as possible without infections cause once those start it can be in and out school for a while.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The link you sent has already been seriously questioned by Pogue, as some states classify kids up to 24. Nor does the report focus on schools and transmission within them, it’s just a report on kids which have been shown to be much more likely to get Covid from a parent than in school.
The “yellow” (0-14) incidence on the report just adds weight to the European findings.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...rus-outbreaks-exception-not-norm-first-major/

They aren’t a major driver. Don’t take my word for it, here’s the ECDC:

The ECDC concluded that the evidence shows that “transmission within schools is not a major driver of COVID-19 incidence”.

There’s no point making a sweeping statement like, “like with all viruses” when plenty of evidence to the contrary is already in and we know without any doubt that this virus is special with kids, the flu is much more deadly to them. Hell, for the vast vast majority of young kids, the common cold is a worse experience.
School children are aged up to 18 and only those below 9 are hardly affected and above that are the same as adults by about puberty.schoolsxare also full of old people - teachers. And any of them will tell you schools are oetri dishes - teachers are sick all the time.

Civid may not mirror how flu behaves in schools but it closely mirrors how chickenpox behaves in schools and schools are a major factor in the spread of chickenpox, especially as for some reason we don't vaccinate much for it.

Because kids are low/asymotomatic they are hugely underepresented in testing so most of the data isn't good enough and creates a bias towards the myth that kids don't spread the disease? Likely they do less but school conditions almost prevent social distancing which largely negates the benefits.

American schools are gettibmng hammered in all age groups in many states btw.

Logic and the available data strongly suggest that the ECDC will be likely be proven wrong. Could I be wrong? Of course I could although I doubt I will be, and it will just be a matter of degree, as we don't have enough data yet to be sure. Although ...

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2020/covid-19-children-and-schools-overlooked-and-risk

I also wonder if it is just a coincidence that the ECDC is located in Sweden and they got hugely criticised for percieved exageration of H1N1?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Just found out about a really annoying trend in Dublin 6/4. Loads of families have pissed off to their holiday homes in Quinta De Lago for August then decided they didn’t want to quarantine on return, so fake symptoms to their GP in order to get whole family tested. When they get a negative test they immediately stop isolating. Phil Hogan levels of shit-housery.
Are there not enough tests to go round?

golden_blunder

Staff
Playing the system. Doesn’t surprise me, some self absorbed families just don’t care unless it affects them directly. I suppose we will always get a percentage of cnuts no matter what the scenario

golden_blunder

Staff
The guidance is to quarantine for 14 days if you’ve been on holiday.
Tests are booked if you present symptoms to your GP etc
So sounds like they just are playing games to circumnavigate the quarantine

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Loads of tests but the whole point of quarantine being two weeks long is that it can take several days after exposure to get sick. Testing negative a day or two after coming home doesn’t mean they definitely haven’t been infected. These twats, however, are using it as a reason to cut short their self isolation.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Loads of tests but the whole point of quarantine being two weeks long is that it can take several days after exposure to get sick. Testing negative a day or two after coming home doesn’t mean they definitely haven’t been infected. These twats, however, are using it as a reason to cut short their self isolation.
Gotcha - a negative test early doors means feck all

golden_blunder

Staff
If tests are limited and needed for potentially real cases then what a bunch of cnuts
They don’t care. I mean government advice was already only essential travel and that people should staycations this year. So they’ve gone against advice already. They probably don’t believe the virus is real

Squeaky Bumtime

Thing is though, people who think virus doesnt exist, got affected and end up in hospital. Should their medical care be paid by the tax payers. I know it sounds radical but..
Saying all that we pay for the people who smoke so..

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
They don’t care. I mean government advice was already only essential travel and that people should staycations this year. So they’ve gone against advice already. They probably don’t believe the virus is real
Sounds like Ireland is at least giving good advice

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Thing is though, people who think virus doesnt exist, got affected and end up in hospital. Should their medical care be paid by the tax payers. I know it sounds radical but..
Saying all that we pay for the people who smoke so..
Tempting but .....

Invested in Sweden's approach and already sensitive from when they warned about H1N1. Maybe.
Why would they be invested in Sweden’s approach @Wibble?

Their offices might be in Sweden, but they are independent agency of the European Union for fecks sake. They actually had a big fall out with Sweden when they declared the country a high risk zone in mid June.

They quote 3 separate EU studies in their findings.

You just desperate to shoehorn Sweden into the conversation again ? I know you’re confirmation bias wants to not believe the ECDC, but what a ridiculous fecking claim.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
My brother in law just did this after a trip to Portugal.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Why would they be invested in Sweden’s approach @Wibble?

Their offices might be in Sweden, but they are independent agency of the European Union for fecks sake.

They quote 3 separate EU studies in their findings.

You just desperate to shoehorn Sweden into the conversation again ?
No. Just seemed a coincidence that their location matched Sweden's approach. Correlation isn't of course causation. But these large bodies do seem to follow what the politicians want far more often than would seem coincidental and I assume the EU generally want schools open?

No. Just seemed a coincidence that their location matched Sweden's approach. Correlation isn't of course causation. But these large bodies do seem to follow what the politicians want far more often than would seem coincidental.
And posters wonder why this thread so often turns into Sweden Spam. The other day I couldn’t even mention Taiwan, Norway and South Korea’s approach without you suddenly making a leap to the strawman “it’s either Sweden or Venezuela”. I hadn’t even mentioned the Nordic country.

And now this....

Give your head a wobble man. The bias here isn’t the ECDC looking at 3 separate EU studies that support their stance, it’s Wibs thinking the entire World needs to lock down everything until eradication and/or vaccine, that much is crystal clear.

Last edited:

Squeaky Bumtime

Put them in a room and point a gun at them. Tell them that the bullet doesn’t exist so they shouldn’t worry.
That would be nice.

All logic goes out of the window with them. I can understand some people not being satisfied with measures and with how the virus is handled but to claim it's a hoax made in order to put 5g network around the world and it doesnt even exist. Madness.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I went on a night out with a mate on Saturday. On Sunday it transpired that his sister has Covid (he didn't know when he was going out on the Saturday and claims he didn't even know she'd been getting tested..hmm).

He lives with his sister, so its highly likely he has it and that he's given it to me, he was even in my house drinking with me.

I rang the HSE for guidance assuming I'd need a test immediately and 2 weeks' isolation.

They told me due to capacity issues they cannot test me until my mate officially tests positive, and he can't get tested until Thursday. I was also told that I'm not required to isolate.

What the actual feck is that about?

(Disclaimer: It isn't actually me experiencing this, the 'I' in the story is a mate and the 'mate' in the story is a mate of that mate but that just made it fecking confusing to type)

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Why does Australia take any outbreak so seriously and go into full lockdown again? They do this with even relatively few cases. Yet here in the UK, we've got cases popping off left and right and everything is opening again here? The difference is incredible.

I'm not saying we should live in full lockdown until it's gone, but we seem to have gone from one extreme to the other. I was in the supermarket the other day and only half the people had masks on.
Because there’s absolutely zero fcuking leadership from anyone considered an authority.

Ending the Daily briefings was wrong and suggested we were past this. The messaging has been terrible, the attitudes falling.

Since briefings ended, the media has been the voice of government. 90% of the most audible and consumed daily media is of a Government backing bent and all the messaging is along the lines of ‘Let’s get the economy back on track’.

They’ve fcuked it through ineptitude and a lack of due care.

Honestly, when was the last time you heard a clear guiding advisory message from a respectable figure of authority that crosses the bizarre right/left leave/remain divide? There’s not one.

Too many people are self serving cnuts and those in power are happy to keep it that way As they generally put them in power.

The UK is broken and needs root and branch overhaul by people that care about people before they care about profits.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Also, Gemma O'Doherty (best described as Ireland's Katie Hopkins) was either attending or overseeing a protest in my town there the other day.

Was on a stroll a few corners away with a mask on when someone who definitely attended that protest randomly had a go at me. He told me I'm recycling my own germs and that it's very dangerous, and that I need to take it off and stop being a sheep.

Just told him to feck off but it was very disheartening. He must do that to everyone he walks past who has a mask on, that must be exhausting.