SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

djembatheking

We’re going around in circles here. They are two separate entities. Online has nothing do with it. It’s irrelevant to this discussion. Online has been deemed safe. It stays as is. There is no COVID justification to restrict online goods. Going to shops carries a transmission risk. In order to minimise that transmission risk non-essential goods have been banned. This is to reduce the numbers going to shops and the time spent in shops. Those same non-essential goods being sold in Tesco or in Argos is irrelevant - they’re banned. You’re “it may not be essential to you but others it is” argument can be used against your very position. Why close anything then? Ultimately someone will deem it essential.

“Affordable clothing is essential to some people” - Then why shut TK Max? Or Primark? Also...and I feel this is key...it is seventeen days!!!! This isn’t a year. Who hasn’t got enough clothes to last 17 days? And if they haven’t they’ve had a week to buy clothes to last 17 days. Or they can buy clothes online during the next 17 days. It isn’t hard. Nobody needs to read a book in the next 17 days. It’s not essential. Or watch a movie. Or buy a TV. See what I’m saying? I feel it’s impossible to stress this enough...it’s 17 days.

Ultimately I’m basically just tired of everyone trying to find contradictions in everything. There will always be flaws and logical fallacies in such binary rules. If Tesco was allowed to sell clothes you just know some clever twat would be saying “ooh look how clever this virus is...it knows when I’m buying a jumper at Gap but not at Tesco”. It’s tiring. Unless you have to leave for work or for essential goods stay at home. Ultimately that’s the spirit of the lockdown. It really isn’t difficult.
You are wasting your time discussing with him mate . Some people don`t want to understand and it is one of the reasons we are in a mess now.

djembatheking

@Mickeza, I think you summed it all up very well. Browsing clothes and book aisles just invites more people to hang around in the shop. When you pick up a box of teabags you don't stand there looking at it for 5 minutes.

I think it's completely fair for the large shops to have the same restrictions as those which only sell clothes or books. The strategy and layout of superstores is to encourage impulse buying, so that if you do come in to buy some milk you'll maybe pick up something you didn't intend to buy as you walk to the tills. A significant number of people consider browsing in shops to be a leisure activity at the weekend.

For the vast majority of people, online shopping is a part of life (it kept us going in the first Italian lockdown) and although we hate to see Bezos getting another billion dollars, it's not going away now and has been a lifeline for a lot of people who are at risk.
All week Penna, a mate works in the Co op and said there are still loads of people that come to the shop 2 or 3 times a day just to get out . Very often older folk that live alone too which isn`t ideal.

F-Red

You are wasting your time discussing with him mate . Some people don`t want to understand and it is one of the reasons we are in a mess now.
Just to remind you of the Welsh first ministers logic, it was only in September did he feel it was necessary to make face coverings in retail mandatory, despite waves of evidence strongly suggesting the positive impact it makes in those environments. To suggest he’s capable of good decision making puts him in the clueless camp with Boris and Hancock.

djembatheking

Just to remind you of the Welsh first ministers logic, it was only in September did he feel it was necessary to make face coverings in retail mandatory, despite waves of evidence strongly suggesting the positive impact it makes in those environments. To suggest he’s capable of good decision making puts him in the clueless camp with Boris and Hancock.
I also agree that he got it wrong there but that has nothing to do with the discussion you were having with Mickeza .

F-Red

Also, to the point on non-essential retail, SAGE's opinion on it's impact to the R rate this month:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...data/file/925856/S0770_NPIs_table__pivot_.pdf

Intervention - Closure of non-essential retail
Impact on COVID transmission

Low impact (low-moderate confidence)
SPI-M commission from 30 March 2020 included opening non-essential retail. Very minimal impact on R values.
Some limited evidence of transmission from China. Short duration and ability to distance in most settings + face coverings are likely to mitigate well.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
People travelling probably doesn't help tbf, but we're following the rules and will be tested. Holidays in England are shite and a rip off. NL sounds far better.

Appreciate it sucks for a lot of families and it has affected mine too. Everyone has to make a call on how they play it I guess.

We have Ehic cards and medical insurance. If we have to shell out for a flight or something like that it's our own fault.
If the UK puts Cyprus on the red list they continue flights anyway. Plus we can only go if we test negative. Holidays are as much about who is willing to fork out for the covid test now tbh.
Fair enough, enjoy your break.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Protesters in Naples opposed to stricter coronavirus measures clashed with police late into the night.
Some threw smoke bombs and firecrackers in the centre of the southern Italian city; police responded with tear gas.

The mainly young crowd defied a night-time curfew imposed late on Friday in the Campania region after cases rose.

Regional President Vincenzo de Luca has called for a national lockdown to avoid a repeat of the casualties seen in the first wave earlier this year.

Hundreds broke through a police cordon near the regional headquarters building late on Friday, Italy's Ansa news agency reports.

Along with smoke bombs, bottles were thrown at the 100-strong line of police in riot gear.

Demonstrators also gathered in front of a university building in response to calls on social media, one carrying a banner with the words "you close us, you pay us".
So much for the regional approach working out in Italy. Or the idea that the north / south divide and the economic effects being felt particularly harshly in historically disadvantaged areas was being kept under control. Likewise for the idea that there's something uniquely wrong with young people in the UK that were intolerant to the restrictions and their effects.

Maybe we should listen to them.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

So much for the regional approach working out in Italy. Or the idea that the north / south divide and the economic effects being felt particularly harshly in historically disadvantaged areas was being kept under control. Likewise for the idea that there's something uniquely wrong with young people in the UK that were intolerant to the restrictions and their effects.

What do you mean by the last sentence? I’m sure there’s a hell of a lot of Italians with different opinions to those that took to the streets. And I’m sure they would like to be listened to as well.

Brwned

What do you mean by the last sentence? I’m sure there’s a hell of a lot of Italians with different opinions to those that took to the streets. And I’m sure they would like to be listened to as well.
Nothing more than surely we're better off hearing them out than dismissing them. Not that we should decide based on the views of that minority, or even that decisions should be made based on the loudest voices. But I think we're at a point now where attempting to shut down those voices or vilify the groups that hold them are legitimately counterproductive.

Early on people were compliant even when they didn't agree with the decisions, and they were tolerant of the fact their views were being not just ignored but actively demonised. We're long past that point now so finding a better way to allow those views to be heard is in itself a necessary tool to encourage compliance, IMO.

Rule by decree has a shelf life in democracy and it will expire at some point; I'd argue we've passed that point so need a new strategy.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Nothing more than surely we're better off hearing them out than dismissing them. Not that we should decide based on the views of that minority, or even that decisions should be made based on the loudest voices. But I think we're at a point now where attempting to shut down those voices or vilify the groups that hold them are legitimately counterproductive. Earl on people were compliant even when they didn't agree with the decisions, and they were tolerant of the fact their views were being not just ignored but actively demonised. We're long last that point now so finding a better way to allow those views to be heard is in itself a necessary tool to encourage compliance, IMO. Rule by decree had a shelf life and I think it's up.
But what does making them feel heard look like? Bear in mind a lot of the discontent is being fuelled by completely deluded nonsense on social media. Even if we find a way to weed out the tin foil hat brigade (who will never be happy) you’re still talking about a wide range of, often diametrically opposed, opinions. I don’t know on earth any government could make them all feel listened to or less pissed off with a strategy they disagree with.

Last edited:

Brwned

But what does making them feel heard look like? Bear in mind a lot of the discontent is being fuelled by completely deluded nonsense on social media. Even if we find a way to weed out the tin foil hat brigade (who will never be happy) you’re still talking about a wide range of, often diametrically opposed, opinions. I don’t know on hearth any government could make them all feel listened to or less pissed off with a strategy they disagree with.
Yeah so it's baked into the problem that you can't create a solution that everyone agrees with. There's a segment of the population that don't accept that, and it's all or nothing for them. But my impression is the majority are more accepting than that. In general policy disagreements and in this particular moment.

At the simplest level, I think more people will feel heard if the decisions are debated more thoroughly in places like parliament. People accepted the need for rule by decree, emergency measures in the beginning but there's no way that can last. So just getting back to normal procedure on that front is a significant step.

People comply with rules they don't agree with at least in part because the officials they elected at least voice their argument, and if they lose, they tend to accept it rather than revolt. Most democracies are incredibly compliant. So it's not about radically new strategies but rather employing some of the strategies that played a role in normal public compliance.

That would filter down to public discourse too, which I think is an important component. If parliament or the equivalent were airing a wider range of perspectives more often, it would somewhat temper the majority's desire to dismissively shut down alternative perspectives. We will need to do some things to strengthen national unity because what worked before isn't working now.

I know a lot of people have used the sprint vs marathon analogy but I thought the context it was used in by an American nurse was particularly relatable.

In the initial days of the pandemic, Shanna Groom, 47, kept busy spreading uplifting messages in her neighborhood in Murfreesboro, Tenn. She drew smiley faces in chalk in her driveway, waved the school flag when teachers did a drive-through visit of the neighborhood and positioned a teddy bear in her window as part of a “bear hunt” for neighborhood children.

The bear, which was dressed like a nurse, wearing a mask and mint green scrubs, sat in her dining room window for months. This month, Ms. Groom finally removed the bear to paint the room.

“It kind of made me a little sad,” said Ms. Groom, who is a nurse. “We were doing sprints in the beginning, and now it’s a marathon. We’re a little tired.”
We can all see that weariness is dampening people's compliance but it's also weakening the bonds that those symbols used to symbolise. I think a shift in public discourse will play a role in holding things together.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
For those in the know, are gastrointestinal issues a common symptom?
Yes. We've had a couple of patients recently who's only presenting complaint was diarrhoea.

Also been some interesting studies that show you might be able to predict where the next spikes/clusters/outbreaks may be by examining the faeces in the sewage systems.....

Thing is, this isn't unusual for a lot of pathogens. Lots of viruses are multi-system, including ones which many people consider to be relatively benign (mono for instance). Bacteria too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yes. We've had a couple of patients recently who's only presenting complaint was diarrhoea.

Also been some interesting studies that show you might be able to predict where the next spikes/clusters/outbreaks may be by examining the faeces in the sewage systems.....

Thing is, this isn't unusual for a lot of pathogens. Lots of viruses are multi-system, including ones which many people consider to be relatively benign (mono for instance). Bacteria too.
GI upset often primary symptom in kids, right? Sure I read that somewhere.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I lead a team of software developers in a large company. There are 200 of us in the IT department, working from home is optional, no questions asked. Out of those 200, around 40 come to work anyway and there are around 800 people in the company building in total, a half of which work from the office.

We had a confirmed coronavirus case with one of our programmers last week and everyone in contact were asked to isolate. So far, three people sharing the office with her were confirmed positive and our head of department lost his sense of smell and taste today.

In the meantime, he refused to isolate and was coming to work every day. He constantly moves from one office to another, has had dozens of meetings and even held 3 on-site job interviews this week.

Talk about a super spreader..
He finally got tested yesterday and it returned positive today. Two more people in the office building have developed symptoms, taking us to a total of 11 that I know of so far, 7 of those have already tested positive. An absolute joke.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We recently went 11 days in NSW without a locally acquired case. We detected SARS-CoV-2 in sewage during that period, testing was urged in the area and a few days later we had an outbreak. However, a town in Qld had the same thing and testing found nothing and there have been no cases reported since.

massi83

Transmission on flights riskier than we thought.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/12/20-3910_article

Of 64 people on the flight who had or later developed Covid at least 8 and possibly 11 caught it on the 5 hr flight from Sydney to Perth. Most were in windows seats which is the opposite of what was expected.

A lot of primary cases, very little mask-usage or other safety measures, before anyone extrapolates this too much whilst thinking about today's flight safety. Good study nonetheless.

F-Red

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A lot of primary cases, very little mask-usage or other safety measures, before anyone extrapolates this too much whilst thinking about today's flight safety. Good study nonetheless.
It was very early on so numbers on the flight
wouldn't have been restricted and I doubt there was much if any mask wearing. The windows seat seeming to escalate risk even when you don't leave your seat is interest though. Presumably something to do with airflow patterns.

massi83

It was very early on so numbers on the flight
wouldn't have been restricted and I doubt there was much if any mask wearing. The windows seat seeming to escalate risk even when you don't leave your seat is interest though. Presumably something to do with airflow patterns.
Yeah. They talk about masks in the study. Very few used them, including symptomatic primary cases. Window seat pattern is interesting indeed. I do prefer the aisle anyway, though.

Yeah. They talk about masks in the study. Very few used them, including symptomatic primary cases. Window seat pattern is interesting indeed. I do prefer the aisle anyway, though.
On aircraft the air comes down from the ceiling and is drawn out through vents underneath the windows by your feet. Presumably because of the power of the onboard circulation system, any virus particles that are picked up are carried right past you in the window seat.

There has been an awful lot of research carried out since that flight (admittedly airline/manufacturer led) that shows a low risk of transmission, if procedures are followed.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Last edited:

zing

Zingle balls
The logistics of vaccine distribution and administration

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12808914

Which vaccineseach country has manufacturing capacity to produce and/which vaccines each country has signed up for may further complicate roll out. Not surprising and ina way good that we are getting more specifics.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-vaccine-may-take-an-extra-year-minister-says
India has promised 500 million doses of the vaccine by July - and expect 250 million people vaccinated.

All eggs in the AstraZeneca basket.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
These protests were in Campania where the regional president is taking a hard line - they didn't have a big problem with the virus first time around, but now they're one of the worst-affected regions.

It seems likely to me that these violent protests aren't really protests, they're ultras/extremists stirring up discontent. The business owners held a peaceful protest the night before, as it happened. The Mafia (Camorra) is very active in that particular part of Italy and the authorities have been trying to minimise their exploitation of the Covid crisis.

golden_blunder

Staff

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
My brother may have to isolate for 14 days due to a colleague potentially testing positive.

Lots of Italians dont consider Naples truly part of Italy, including Neopolitans themselves. It's a totally different place. They rarely need much of an excuse to get out on the streets and riot, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
A women in my office had been coming in with Corona virus symptoms for over a week and didn’t tell anybody.

She thought she had stomach flu and was immediately sent home on Tuesday when someone found out.

It transpires that her boyfriend, that she lives with was unwell too and had been tested for Corona virus. His test came back positive on Wednesday:mad:.

If people weren’t so bloody selfish and isolated themselves when they had symptoms we wouldn’t be in such a fecking shit situation.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
A women in my office had been coming in with Corona virus symptoms for over a week and didn’t tell anybody.

She thought she had stomach flu and was immediately sent home on Tuesday when someone found out.

It transpires that her boyfriend, that she lives with was unwell too and had been tested for Corona virus. His test came back positive on Wednesday:mad:.

If people weren’t so bloody selfish and isolated themselves when they had symptoms we wouldn’t be in such a fecking shit situation.
Especially when we could be edging to some sort of critical mass again.

golden_blunder

Staff
I saw that, thanks. I've always been an aisle seat fan from my drinking days.
I used to be a window seat guy but now I’m older and bladder control is more challenging I don’t like climbing over people to get to the loo.
that being said I don’t like getting bashed by the trolleys either

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man

What has your company communicated to all staff about wfh? If i went to work with real symptoms there'd be no one to catch it off me. I usually go 1 afternoon per week.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Lots of Italians dont consider Naples truly part of Italy, including Neopolitans themselves. It's a totally different place. They rarely need much of an excuse to get out on the streets and riot, I wouldn't read too much into it.
I know that they do not like the North, but this regarding not considering themselves to be Italy is new to me. What are they then, a city-state?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What has your company communicated to all staff about wfh? If i went to work with real symptoms there'd be no one to catch it off me. I usually go 1 afternoon per week.

Business as usual unless she gets a positive test. They sanitised her desk but that’s it.

i’ve been working from home but it’s a shit show.