SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Just been for my first Covid test at a drive-thru centre. It was eerie driving through at night under floodlights, with workers all hazmat-ed up and communicating with you via printed sheets, as you can't wind your window down until you reach the actual testing part.

The gamer/moviebuff in me has played/seen enough pre/post-apocalyptic games/movies to be 100% prepared for one of the workers to be suddenly set upon by a flesh-eating humanoid of some kind. Fortunately, it passed without incident. This time...
I went to a testing site with a drive thru and it was nothing like that at all. People in aprons and masks talking as you would from a suitable distance.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I went to a testing site with a drive thru and it was nothing like that at all. People in aprons and masks talking as you would from a suitable distance.
I should add that I live in Stoke; appearing apocalyptic is one of the few things the city still does well.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm so tired of reading Danish friends on Facebook complaining about masks and how they give cancer etc. etc.
One even suggested we should try and split the world in a normal one and one for all those hysterical about covid. What does she think will happen in the former? No one gets ill?
Yeah all over the place here... funny they say we live in fear by following a very tiny set of simple rules while they come up with fear mongering stories about microchips, NWO and global depopulation plan.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah all over the place here... funny they say we live in fear by following a very tiny set of simple rules while they come up with fear mongering stories about microchips, NWO and global depopulation plan.
I’ll not believe any off it until the NWO led by hulk hogan, Scott Hall & co come out dressed in black carrying anal probes which disperse 5g micro controller chips in your ass

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Just wondering why so called “scientists” are working on five minute testers when quicker ones would be better. This is why faith in the government is falling.
And if they didn't like the 3 minute test we could send them the extra 2 minutes for free.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
My understanding is that we're all gonna get this eventually, so we want the person giving it to us to be wearing a mask and we want to be wearing one ourselves, so that the viral load is small and our immune systems can easily defeat it. And of course we don't want to overwhelm the healthcare system so we can't have too many sick at once. Waiting for a vaccine with lockdowns certainly isn't gonna work in a country with no financial assistance from the govt.
Not unless we don't get a vaccine and it would be at the cost of millions of lives.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It was just interesting to see it quantified. Mainly respiratory deaths down although oddly dementia deaths were also down. And of course that doesn't account for any longer term health issues caused by the lockdown (early on in all states and now in Victoria) be it mental health or people not going to the doctor when they should. Luckily we haven't had to do much delaying of essential medical treatment due to keeping infection numbers down.
You're not far off summer now so that should help aswell?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You're not far off summer now so that should help aswell?
Winter is well and truly over already in NSW and I assume Victoria will have warmed up considerably from winter as well. We have had a stormy couple of days but that just means shorts are a bit cold for evenings here in Sydney.

Victoria had a second day of zero cases and only 2 cases nationwide, both in NSW and both connected to known sources. I still wear a mask in public though as this shit show isn't over :(

Of course more worried about the offspring who is in Croatia and then back to California in late Nov.

Last edited:

SiRed

Lockdowns will indirectly cause more deaths in the long run than Covid.
I dont think it will cause more than Covid - but the point you raise is completely valid - there will be a big number of excess deaths indirectly linked to Covid.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
On it's own that's no big deal, all antibodies reduce over time. How much does it compare to other infections, and would booster doses help? I suppose we have to wait and see.
Yeah I wouldnt be too concerned just yet.

Devil81

Had an awful day in work yesterday, basically had the worst migraine ever, followed by a period of light headedness. I knew I wasn't 100% so headed straight home for some painkillers and a lie down. Fell asleep for two hours and woke feeling not too bad but could feel I was starting to feel chesty.

Anyway gets in bed and I'm struggling to get to sleep with worry and a clear chesty feeling then the migrane returns and it feels like I'm having my head crushed it's that bad. Several painkillers later I'm now lay in bed taken time off work and waiting for a delivery of a test my wife ordered me yesterday when I was feel unwell.

I still feel chesty but not to the point its a continuous cough.

Have I done the right thing or have I overreacted?

Interesting. Generally agreed!
With perfect timing to this last bit of the thread it has been kicking off in Italian cities overnight. In contrast to the very simple and necessary restrictions the first time round, which worked about as well as any country anywhere, it's a lot less clear this time and people are getting annoyed. We've had three different sets of rules implemented in the last week alone and there's a big feeling of what has the last 8 months been for, if we are back where we started and everything is closing down again.

Having been in both places in the last couple of weeks i would say the central government response in the UK is better, but the regional governments in Italy are better, and the people are more accepting of the measures, but it's all a lot closer than it was in the first wave.

Different type of test. Boots is doing an antigen test which is a lot less accurate than the PCR test done in labs. I think we’ll end up moving towards using similar tests to the Boots one on a massive scale at some point soon. But it’s not accurate enough yet to compete with PCR tests at a national level.
I don't. They have started offering a LAMP test out of Heathrow but the marketing efforts backfired when all but one government refused to accept it. If they won't accept that they're definitely not going to accept a far less accurate antigen test.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't. They have started offering a LAMP test out of Heathrow but the marketing efforts backfired when all but one government refused to accept it. If they won't accept that they're definitely not going to accept a far less accurate antigen test.
Not sure what you mean by “accept” but there will 100% be a role for point of care testing in the months/years ahead. My personal opinion is that it will be a very big/important role. Could be wrong though.

Not sure what you mean by “accept” but there will 100% be a role for point of care testing in the months/years ahead. My personal opinion is that it will be a very big/important role. Could be wrong though.
I mean governments are not going to accept antigen tests unless we can drastically improve the sensitivity.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I mean governments are not going to accept antigen tests unless we can drastically improve the sensitivity.
What do you mean by ‘accept’ though? They’re already being used in government funded surveillance studies to get a snap shot of disease prevalence. So governments clearly see a role for them, even with their current limitations re accuracy.

I think we’ll see better and better POC tests developed (whether they involve serum antigen test or saliva/breath testing) which will become an important tool in the public health response. It’s definitely conceivable we get to a point where daily or weekly POC testing of millions and millions of people will become routine.

Heardy

Had an awful day in work yesterday, basically had the worst migraine ever, followed by a period of light headedness. I knew I wasn't 100% so headed straight home for some painkillers and a lie down. Fell asleep for two hours and woke feeling not too bad but could feel I was starting to feel chesty.

Anyway gets in bed and I'm struggling to get to sleep with worry and a clear chesty feeling then the migrane returns and it feels like I'm having my head crushed it's that bad. Several painkillers later I'm now lay in bed taken time off work and waiting for a delivery of a test my wife ordered me yesterday when I was feel unwell.

I still feel chesty but not to the point its a continuous cough.

Have I done the right thing or have I overreacted?
Probably better to be safe than sorry! I hope you're feeling better soon mate!

Bestietom

Here in Ireland we (over 70s) have been in Lockdown for most of the time since 15th March. We are doing everything that is asked of us, but others are carrying on as if there was no covid. Only essential stores open now, and we are all hoping for a decent Christmas with all shops opening and going back to Level 2 .. We are doing this so as Christmas time, we can visit our grandchildren with a hug, have a drink with our children and friends ( sticking by the rules of course). Level 3 here means that our local (Wet pubs) will still stay closed. So we will feel defeated again.

What do you mean by ‘accept’ though? They’re already being used in government funded surveillance studies to get a snap shot of disease prevalence. So governments clearly see a role for them, even with their current limitations re accuracy.

I think we’ll see better and better POC tests developed (whether they involve serum antigen test or saliva/breath testing) which will become an important tool in the public health response. It’s definitely conceivable we get to a point where daily or weekly POC testing of millions and millions of people will become routine.
Sample surveys are one thing, but to be used as a form of passporting system in the future or definitive yes/no test? You can't run the risk of infected people being told they're clear and free to run around.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Don't you think it's a bit strange that essentially no Western government has even piloted the proposal mentioned in that Atlantic article? Not that they should make decisions based on popular opinion but the premise is pretty solid. When the WHO gave emergency approval for the approach in a few African countries to test multiple people on the same PCR test, and then retest individuals when it identifies a positive, I thought we might have seen echoes of that in the West.

I wonder whether it's something to do with legislation and liability that requires them to have a certain level of specificity to detect it in individuals, which inhibits the wider goal of rapidly identifying clusters? If their approach kept things under control then I could understand it, but at repeated stages that hasn't been the case. Surely there should be questions about different approaches given the direction things are going.

Tony Babangida

Sample surveys are one thing, but to be used as a form of passporting system in the future or definitive yes/no test? You can't run the risk of infected people being told they're clear and free to run around.
It depends what you want your test to do. Identify people who are infectious or people who have some trace of virus. If it’s the former then there is a place for rapid antigen tests. In Australia, I would like to see rapid antigen tests used routinely as screening tools in high risk industries like meat works, hospitals, etc. With any positives being confirmed by PCR. I know there is work going on to build mobile testing labs to do this type of thing.

This is fun to play with: https://calculator.unitedinresearch.com/complex_dashboard

Really shows the importance of getting results back quickly to stop spread.

Here’s the pre-print to go with it: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.11.20211011v2

Devil81

Probably better to be safe than sorry! I hope you're feeling better soon mate!
Cheers.

The thing is I'd usually have the attitude it will pass and its not that bad but given the implications on other people I thought it best I follow protocol.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The government in the UK needs to come up with Something quick regarding Christmas. Literally everyone I speak to is saying that they are going to ignore the rule of six at Christmas.

Groups are going to gather and when alcohol starts flowing social distancing will go out the window.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The government in the UK needs to come up with Something quick regarding Christmas. Literally everyone I speak to is saying that they are going to ignore the rule of six at Christmas.

Groups are going to gather and when alcohol starts flowing social distancing will go out the window.
I bet good money the government will take a “they’re going to do it anyway so let’s earn some political good will” approach to Christmas.

Tony Babangida

Don't you think it's a bit strange that essentially no Western government has even piloted the proposal mentioned in that Atlantic article? Not that they should make decisions based on popular opinion but the premise is pretty solid. When the WHO gave emergency approval for the approach in a few African countries to test multiple people on the same PCR test, and then retest individuals when it identifies a positive, I thought we might have seen echoes of that in the West.

I wonder whether it's something to do with legislation and liability that requires them to have a certain level of specificity to detect it in individuals, which inhibits the wider goal of rapidly identifying clusters? If their approach kept things under control then I could understand it, but at repeated stages that hasn't been the case. Surely there should be questions about different approaches given the direction things are going.
Speaking from what I know in Aus, regulatory agencies (TGA) are hesitant to approve tests without the same sensitivity as RT-qPCR. This makes sense if you are trying to track and isolate every single case. But long term I think there is a place for rapid antigen testing. We are evaluating a few where I work. The “operation moonshot” / Michael Mena plan is most likely too large to make work. It’s dependent on really really cheap tests that can be manufactured at a huge scale. Don’t think there is the political will anywhere to make this happen. Screening high risk environments seeems more realistic. Or testing people a couple of hours before they get on flights (this should absolutely be happening).

On pooled PCR testing, I think this is happening in American colleges. One of the academics that set up a lighthouse lab (Alan McNally) was calling for it to be used for testing schools and unis in the UK but it didn’t happen. He has been very vocal about how the testing capacity in the UK has been squandered and should be used in a more targeted approach.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I suspect they will lock down as much as possible on run down to Christmas - briefly relax the rules for 2 days over Christmas and then put a lockdown in for New Years Eve for 4 weeks or so.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Speaking from what I know in Aus, regulatory agencies (TGA) are hesitant to approve tests without the same sensitivity as RT-qPCR. This makes sense if you are trying to track and isolate every single case. But long term I think there is a place for rapid antigen testing. We are evaluating a few where I work. The “operation moonshot” / Michael Mena plan is most likely too large to make work. It’s dependent on really really cheap tests that can be manufactured at a huge scale. Don’t think there is the political will anywhere to make this happen. Screening high risk environments seeems more realistic. Or testing people a couple of hours before they get on flights (this should absolutely be happening).
Interesting!

Weird side note but I just stumbled across this story which gives some insight into how authoritarian governments fudge the numbers. I knew there were "reports that cases were 20x higher than the Turkish government claimed", but I didn't know the documents were brought out in the open by the opposition, with the details laid bare for all to see...and the government confirmed it!

The Ministry of Health was not reporting the number of asymptomatic Covid-19 cases and was including "patients, not cases" in its daily figures table, Minister Fahrettin Koca said last night (September 30).

Koca's statement came after the revelation of a ministry document showing nearly 20 times more cases for a day than the official figures.

"Every case is not a patient. We are talking about people with symptoms," he told reporters after he was asked about the issue during a press conference following a meeting with the ministry's science board. "As of July 29, we started to announce it as 'the number of patients'."

When asked by reporters whether the ministry was only announcing the number of hospitalized patients, Koca said the number of all patients with symptoms, hospitalized or not, was included in ministry figures.

After Koca's statement, #vaksayisikac (What is the number of cases?) hashtag became a "trending topic" on Twitter in Turkey.

MP Murat Emir from the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) on Tuesday (September 29) revealed a document from the ministry's internal laboratory system, which showed that 29,377 new Covid-19 cases were found on September 10 whereas the ministry reported 1,512 "patients" on that day.

Emir also pointed out the change in the ministry announcements from the number of "cases" to "patients" and said it was aimed at concealing the real numbers.

Doctors' organizations and health workers' unions have disputed the ministry's official figures since the start of the outbreak.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

They better not relax the rules.

This is an amazing excuse to not have to visit family this year :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
At a population level, it could still make sense. Even allowing for false negatives. The idea being that even if you miss some cases you’re still picking up many more that would otherwise be missed without a cheap, rapid test available in huge numbers.

It’s all about how to best use them. I see their main role as a screening test for use on a massive scale. I don’t think they will have much of a role in travel, the way you describe, any time soon. Although they will get more and more accurate so could end up being used that way at some point.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I bet good money the government will take a “they’re going to do it anyway so let’s earn some political good will” approach to Christmas.
Stopping people going to other people's houses is unenforceable, unless they have a massive party with loud music and it's obvious. Some folk will dob other people in, many won't.

My sister rents a house in a posh road where everyone else (white, elderly) is an owner. Last year (before Covid) her son came back from Vietnam with his Vietnamese girlfriend for a 6-month stay. They rented a house for the whole time they were in the UK.

They stayed with my sister for just one night when they arrived after the long flight, and one of the neighbours rang my sister's landlady and said she had an unauthorised tenant there! Of course, I'm convinced that was motivated by racism, but it shows that some people are itching to get other people into trouble, for absolutely no reason.