SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

0le

Just beat it along with my s/o. It was awful, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. There is still such an anti-expert thing still going on here. One of our counties was just put off the Governor's watch list, and people's first thought is to open up the whole country.
My dad had it pretty bad for approx. 2 weeks as well, I've never seen him ill for that long.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So what do you think would be the right thing to do? Another year out of school for all kids?
Probably in most countries. And the majority wouldn't be out of school but learning remotely. Only essential workers kids to attend face to face across the board, those taking A levels and the like to have a hybrid model to allow them to do their exams and ideally you would have to do something special for those who had technology or access challenges due to personal/economic circumstance. Most European countries should also be in stage 3 or 4 lockdown but it doesn't seem like almost anywhere wants to do what is required to minimise the second wave that seems to be well under way in most places.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...m-over-covid-case-rates-19-european-countries

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Our views regarding kids and SARS-CoV-2 are "Wishful thinking" based on "very little evidence".

"Going back to school and University is going to be a huge infection driver ... and this could come just at the wrong time at the start of winter ... a potentially devastating second wave in many countries"

Like him I hope this doesn't eventuate but it is looking more and more likely.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Our views regarding kids and SARS-CoV-2 are "Wishful thinking" based on "very little evidence".

"Going back to school and University is going to be a huge infection driver ... and this could come just at the wrong time at the start of winter ... a potentially devastating second wave in many countries"

Like him I hope this doesn't eventuate but it is looking more and more likely.
Its a slowly evolving scene and difficult for me to make definitive judgements, Im leaning towards being more cautious with respect to the kids infection rates and then hoping I end up wrong.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Its a slowly evolving scene and difficult for me to make definitive judgements, Im leaning towards being more cautious with respect to the kids infection rates and then hoping I end up wrong.
Agreed but with the available information I think many countries are being very cavalier.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Victoria's infections down to 222 new infections today, from a high of over 700. So it looks like the curve has significantly flattened. The bad news is that deaths are way up with us now over 400 total deaths (we were at about 100 before this second wave). Mainly burning through aged care homes but we have had one death of a person in their 20's and 2 in their 30's - none with pre-existing conditions it would seem. :(

Victoria's outbreak seems to be due to 2 sources. The breech in quarantine procedure we already knew about, and this is probably linked to the vast majority of the cases (90%+), but worryingly one cluster seems to be related to a couple who returned from overseas. Which means either that there was a separate quarantine breech or that 14 days quarantine isn't always long enough.

NSW only had 3 new cases, 1 in quarantine, 1 linked to a known cluster and 1 under investigation which is good news.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...08504022d43744#block-5f3b077e8f08504022d43744

NZ have 13 new infections with 12 related to the known cluster and 1 under investigation. Again good news.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
UK 3 deaths and 713 cases

Some encouraging news
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/16/...p4-u4yMZYA6LXg_Hbb6G6Smfca01gAOqP2sCspgAe5Hl0

"New research indicates that human immune system cells are storing information about the coronavirus so they can fight it off again."

To the immune system, not all germs are equally memorable. But our body’s cells seem to be seriously studying up on the coronavirus.

"Scientists who have been monitoring immune responses to the virus are now starting to see encouraging signs of strong, lasting immunity, even in people who developed only mild symptoms of Covid-19, a flurry of new studies suggests. Disease-fighting antibodies, as well as immune cells called B cells and T cells that are capable of recognizing the virus, appear to persist months after infections have resolved — an encouraging echo of the body’s enduring response to other viruses.

Researchers have yet to find unambiguous evidence that coronavirus reinfections are occurring, especially within the few months that the virus has been rippling through the human population. The prospect of immune memory “helps to explain that,” Dr. Pepper said."

We haven't heard much more about reinfections and those getting hit harder next time round like what allegedly happened a month back in the US. We should be seeing a lot more from US at least.

Seems rare if it happens and there's still some questions about testing with false positive and negative, some will slip through and look like reinfection or it's very rare right now. I guess the new surge in Europe might show some more soon.
Excellent. Not totally surprising but very welcome.

ReallyUSA

My dad had it pretty bad for approx. 2 weeks as well, I've never seen him ill for that long.
Blessings to you and your family. It's weird because you feel it coming like a freight train. We were in my apartment falling apart, and zapped of energy. Scary stuff and I truly feel for the compromised who get it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The approach of vast majority of Polish people to virus makes part of me want them to get it, really. Ridiculous idiocy. Most don't even think it exists and think it's a hoax and all deaths are just reclassification of deaths from other causes, when you point them to statistics about excess deaths in UK, Italy, Spain, Brazil or US they just say 'it depends on your interpretation' or 'don't buy media talk'. They imply people who die from car accidents always have covid-19 as cause of death. Morons.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The approach of vast majority of Polish people to virus makes part of me want them to get it, really. Ridiculous idiocy. Most don't even think it exists and think it's a hoax and all deaths are just reclassification of deaths from other causes, when you point them to statistics about excess deaths in UK, Italy, Spain, Brazil or US they just say 'it depends on your interpretation' or 'don't buy media talk'. They imply people who die from car accidents always have covid-19 as cause of death. Morons.
By the looks of it it's the same in every country. I can (kind of) understand people who want to continue their normal life and are tired of everything, and understand the virus isn't that dangerous for many people, but those making fun of the virus, still not believing it exist, going out in the clubs in this period, etc., they are idiots who just show that we aren't smartest creatures out there. And there are so many of them around.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So. New restrictions in Ireland rolled out today. Confusion reigns. They’ve basically allowed every business to crack on as they did before but have made it almost impossible for amateur sports to continue. Plus some unenforceable stuff about how many people are allowed in each other’s home and gardens. Total cluster-feck.

Although, to he honest, I would struggle to come up with a better plan! Anything which forces recently re-opened small businesses to close again would be heart-breaking for so many people. But they have to do something, right? This fecking virus is just a nightmare.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So. New restrictions in Ireland rolled out today. Confusion reigns. They’ve basically allowed every business to crack on as they did before but have made it almost impossible for amateur sports to continue. Plus some unenforceable stuff about how many people are allowed in each other’s home and gardens. Total cluster-feck.

Although, to he honest, I would struggle to come up with a better plan! Anything which forces recently re-opened small businesses to close again would be heart-breaking for so many people. But they have to do something, right? This fecking virus is just a nightmare.
Going back after opening up is very hard to manage. Although here is seems a big problem is some U30's being utter cnuts who think their right to party en mass is more important than keeping others safe.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Lots of big fines and some heading for prison (breaking quarantine, false info supplied to cross state borders etc) doesn't seem to be a big enough discouragement sadly.

Some slightly good news is that Flu deaths have been hugely reduced here in Australia (36 in fist 6 months of 2020 compared to 430 in 2019 - 2019 was a very bad year but ...) due to the various restrictions and a much bigger uptake in flu vaccination (the later I only heard anecdotally).

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

It's ridiculous and unenforceable, how are ya going to stop the old men going to the local gaa fields to watch the game, half them are ex or still gardai, it's not at a gaa pitch where it's spreading, it's the hot bedding in low paid jobs, also I think this government will shut the country before it lockdowns Dublin again, in the 40s and 50s the last week in Dublin nothing said.

Rajma

I’ve been very vocal about the benefits of going into an early and strong lockdown but it’s getting clear that we need to learn to live with the virus until vaccine comes out. Closing down economies again (where transmission is out of control already) at this point would certainly cause more deaths than a virus itself. Unfortunately, countries and WHO failed during the crucial early moments to eradicate this completely.

Rajma

When I read the top rated comments under articles from most widely used local media sources, it’s exactly the same in Lithuania.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

I can work from home fully again for a month so I endorse their plan, whatever it was.

Alsop Michael Martin is a cnut, that's not relevant but needs to be known.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Not sure if this has been posted yet but it's about that herbal supplement Ben Carson and MyPillow are pushing now with Trump as a cure for Covid... Wtf this is some cringey shit:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business...-coronavirus-therapeutic-mypillow-sot-vpx.cnn

Snake oil salesperson, and not even a good one at that.
Yeah someone posted the video either in this thread or the Trump thread. Cringey shit. Total money making scam, sitting there with his cross around his neck, talking about being a good Christian. Known liar and has had to make out of court settlements for making false claims about his pillows. FFS.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's ridiculous and unenforceable, how are ya going to stop the old men going to the local gaa fields to watch the game, half them are ex or still gardai, it's not at a gaa pitch where it's spreading, it's the hot bedding in low paid jobs, also I think this government will shut the country before it lockdowns Dublin again, in the 40s and 50s the last week in Dublin nothing said.
To be fair, there’s a million people living in Dublin so numbers in the 40s and 50s isn’t comparable with the same numbers in Laois or Kildare. They will also take into account number of tests. If just 10% of tests taken in a region is positive then you know the number of cases is likely a big underestimate.

Stack

I’ve been very vocal about the benefits of going into an early and strong lockdown but it’s getting clear that we need to learn to live with the virus until vaccine comes out. Closing down economies again (where transmission is out of control already) at this point would certainly cause more deaths than a virus itself. Unfortunately, countries and WHO failed during the crucial early moments to eradicate this completely.
How would it cause more deaths than the virus itself?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just reading about a woman who is unable to shop anymore because of the abuse she gets for not wearing a mask - she is exempt because she needs to have her face uncovered so she can communicate with her autistic daughter. I'm surprised they haven't rolled something out as simple as a sticker or a ribbon that people can wear to show they're exempt from wearing one - I suppose it's because some people can abuse a system like that but for people that genuinely are exempt there should be some sort of thing that will protect them from potentially getting that abuse as people are too flippant to ask before they abuse sometimes.

Lots of big fines and some heading for prison (breaking quarantine, false info supplied to cross state borders etc) doesn't seem to be a big enough discouragement sadly.

Some slightly good news is that Flu deaths have been hugely reduced here in Australia (36 in fist 6 months of 2020 compared to 430 in 2019 - 2019 was a very bad year but ...) due to the various restrictions and a much bigger uptake in flu vaccination (the later I only heard anecdotally).
Flu deaths have been hugely reduced almost everywhere Wibs, it’s likely why the Swedish excess deaths for 2020 has actually now dropped to around 3800 and looks likely to drop a fair bit more through August.

https://www.scb.se/hitta-statistik/...l-och-diagram/preliminar-statistik-over-doda/

We could save a lot of lives every year by restrictions, no question about that now. Literally hundreds of thousands

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man

Tightened up here too. No more parties, bbq's, 6 people allowed to visit if they can keep apart. Birthdays with large groups need to be organised in a pub or restaurant that can facilitate the distancing. I'm so glad people have fecked themselves over, i hope they are happy now.

Rajma

How would it cause more deaths than the virus itself?
Through poverty, mental health (even physical state), lack of or very delayed access to medical services for other pressing health issues due to the manner in which hospitals/medical centers have to operate under pandemic regulations.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Just reading about a woman who is unable to shop anymore because of the abuse she gets for not wearing a mask - she is exempt because she needs to have her face uncovered so she can communicate with her autistic daughter. I'm surprised they haven't rolled something out as simple as a sticker or a ribbon that people can wear to show they're exempt from wearing one - I suppose it's because some people can abuse a system like that but for people that genuinely are exempt there should be some sort of thing that will protect them from potentially getting that abuse as people are too flippant to ask before they abuse sometimes.
Can’t she wear a face shield or order for pickup/delivery?

Stack

Through poverty, mental health (even physical state), lack of or very delayed access to medical services for other pressing health issues due to the manner in which hospitals/medical centers have to operate under pandemic regulations.
Its probably going to be different from country to country. Here we saw a slight drop in suicides and a significant drop in deaths in general during our first hard lockdown. I would expect the same to happen here again if we had to go into a 2nd hard lockdown again. Less traffic on the roads, less activity which might cause injury or death are a couple of quick examples. One of the reasons thats being touted as the slight drop in suicides was families spending more time together and all of our homeless housed during the first lockdown. We had decent wage subsidies in place so the poverty issue wasnt as big as it could have been. We had limited delayed access to medical services because the hospitals were generally quieter than usual, the pandemic sections of the hospital were kept quite seperate from the everyday hospital admissions.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Can’t she wear a face shield or order for pickup/delivery?
Perhaps but it may still cause her child distress due to her face being covered by something (even if you can still see the face)

+

Yeah, she can order her food but that isn't the point. It's the fact that she could be in any public enclosed space and receive that abuse and she shouldn't have to feel like that. I'm very in the face mask camp and want everyone to be wearing one but there are clearly some people in situations like these who are being unfairly abused and feel trapped due to it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Flu deaths have been hugely reduced almost everywhere Wibs, it’s likely why the Swedish excess deaths for 2020 has actually now dropped to around 3800 and looks likely to drop a fair bit more through August.

https://www.scb.se/hitta-statistik/...l-och-diagram/preliminar-statistik-over-doda/

We could save a lot of lives every year by restrictions, no question about that now. Literally hundreds of thousands
It also shows how many lives we could save if most people had the annual flu vaccine.

I'm really hoping the world learns the value of vaccination. If we did it would almost be worth the pain of the pandemic.