SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Withnail

makes sense in terms of supporting your local but otherwise, what’s the point? People pay extra for a pint for the social aspect. Otherwise may as well pay a quarter of the price and just buy from the offey
Well, yeah I see what you mean and I wouldn't bother for a beer.

I get the odd pint of Guinness because you just can't get that in the offie. Cans of Guinness are a different drink altogether.

acnumber9

If you want people to stay home you need to pay them to stay home.

It's crazy. There's an outbreak in my girlfriend's office at the moment because someone came in for their last few days when their husband had tested positive.

Sick pay isn't statutory and their company only pay sick pay if you're there over a year and not when you're working your notice.

On her last day she went home with a fever and now there's 4 or 5 of them with symptoms. Two have tested positive and the others are waiting on results. Typhoid Mary obviously shouldn't have been in the office but if she was paid to stay home she would have done that.
Yep. It’s alright for that twat but he’s completely out of touch with the reality of why people go to work when they’re sick. They’re practically forced to. I would hope that this pandemic would see them wise up but I don’t think they’ve even considered the reasons why.

Get the ban hammer out
Is it really all that wrong? The Meningitis vaccine was selected as a placebo because the Covid vaccine was producing painful side effects that would not occur with a saline placebo. And the efficacy was initially looking like just 62% until a dosing error brought them to the 90% result.

Tibs

Today's data shows increases - death rate scary high....hopefully things go down from today.

18k cases / 696 deaths

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Today's data shows increases - death rate scary high....hopefully things go down from today.

18k cases / 696 deaths
There’s a lag between cases and deaths. So the deaths you’re seeing now are from much higher cases numbers a week or two ago. There’s a good chance they’ll get even higher before they turn the corner. All you should hope for now is cases to level out/decrease.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
So with the vaccine planned on being given to the few in December, will we see a noticeable change in the numbers.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So with the vaccine planned on being given to the few in December, will we see a noticeable change in the numbers.
In the initial stages it won't be that big a factor and although beneficial it will be hard to isolate the exact effect in the infection data.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Is it really all that wrong? The Meningitis vaccine was selected as a placebo because the Covid vaccine was producing painful side effects that would not occur with a saline placebo. And the efficacy was initially looking like just 62% until a dosing error brought them to the 90% result.
That certainly seems problematic to me, had no idea a "placebo" could be a vaccine with side effects, it would seem this would make the covid vaccine appear to have less side effects.

https://theconversation.com/coronav...important-to-know-whats-in-the-placebo-146365

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You bastard! My local isn't doing takeaway pints.

Hopefully they do them when I'm back home at Christmas, or even better, hopefully the food-pubs are open. I'll set a new record for pints of Guinness drank in 105 minutes.
It’d take me that long to suffer my way through one. Revolting stuff.

Come at me.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
That certainly seems problematic to me, had no idea a "placebo" could be a vaccine with side effects, it would seem this would make the covid vaccine appear to have less side effects.

https://theconversation.com/coronav...important-to-know-whats-in-the-placebo-146365
It's done with good intentions - they don't want people to know whether it's a placebo or not. Knowing that whatever you take you might/might not have side effects avoids the situation where people who have a reaction to the vaccine start behaving differently (and increase their risk). Individuals would still report their side-effects though, which is what the study is trying to capture.

Tibs

There’s a lag between cases and deaths. So the deaths you’re seeing now are from much higher cases numbers a week or two ago. There’s a good chance they’ll get even higher before they turn the corner. All you should hope for now is cases to level out/decrease.
Yeah, however I think that by 20/12, just as
What do you mean dosing error?

Was the partial shot, followed by a full shot a fluke?

Is there confidence that the Oxford Vaccine will get approval if the data/trials aren't robust enough for the 90% effecacy?

F-Red

Death rates maybe, case rates not at all. We won't see any impact on numbers till probably February/March at the earliest I would say.

lynchie

All the vaccines require 2 doses, 28 days apart, so even starting next week, they wouldn't be fully effective until mid-January.

Yeah, however I think that by 20/12, just as

What do you mean dosing error?

Was the partial shot, followed by a full shot a fluke?

Is there confidence that the Oxford Vaccine will get approval if the data/trials aren't robust enough for the 90% effecacy?
Yes it was a fluke. Everybody was supposed to get two full doses.

NinjaFletch

Of course a government website crashes because they've used a needlessly complex postcode search rather than a list.

Ananke

Wanted to punch Iain Duncan Smith's smug face on Sky News. Basically said it was all about the economy.
The sad thing is, even though it's so obvious what they are doing they'll get away with it again and again. Every other area of England takes the full force of the economic hit, and London gets the noose loosened whilst we're told to do it for the safety of everyone.

SiRed

how the hell are we in tier 3 in Manchester when the R rate for North West is the best in the country?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/full-list-of-local-restriction-tiers-by-area#tier-3-very-high-alert
Tier 1: Medium alert
South East
  • Isle of Wight
South West
  • Cornwall
  • Isles of Scilly
Tier 2: High alert
North West
  • Cumbria
  • Liverpool City Region
  • Warrington and Cheshire
Yorkshire
  • York
  • North Yorkshire
West Midlands
  • Worcestershire
  • Herefordshire
  • Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin
East Midlands
  • Rutland
  • Northamptonshire
East of England
  • Suffolk
  • Hertfordshire
  • Cambridgeshire, including Peterborough
  • Norfolk
  • Essex, Thurrock and Southend on Sea
  • Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes
London
  • all 32 boroughs plus the City of London
South East
  • East Sussex
  • West Sussex
  • Brighton and Hove
  • Surrey
  • Reading
  • Wokingham
  • Bracknell Forest
  • Windsor and Maidenhead
  • West Berkshire
  • Hampshire (except the Isle of Wight), Portsmouth and Southampton
  • Buckinghamshire
  • Oxfordshire
South West
  • South Somerset, Somerset West and Taunton, Mendip and Sedgemoor
  • Bath and North East Somerset
  • Dorset
  • Bournemouth
  • Christchurch
  • Poole
  • Gloucestershire
  • Wiltshire and Swindon
  • Devon
Tier 3: Very High alert
North East
  • Tees Valley Combined Authority:
    • Hartlepool
    • Middlesbrough
    • Stockton-on-Tees
    • Redcar and Cleveland
    • Darlington
  • North East Combined Authority:
    • Sunderland
    • South Tyneside
    • Gateshead
    • Newcastle upon Tyne
    • North Tyneside
    • County Durham
    • Northumberland
North West
  • Greater Manchester
  • Lancashire
  • Blackpool
  • Blackburn with Darwen
Yorkshire and The Humber
  • The Humber
  • West Yorkshire
  • South Yorkshire
West Midlands
  • Birmingham and Black Country
  • Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
  • Warwickshire, Coventry and Solihull
East Midlands
  • Derby and Derbyshire
  • Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
  • Leicester and Leicestershire
  • Lincolnshire
South East
  • Slough (remainder of Berkshire is tier 2: High alert)
  • Kent and Medway
South West
  • Bristol
  • South Gloucestershire
  • North Somerset

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Tier 3 until Covid takes its Xmas break then back to Tier 3... with cases seemingly levelling off surely it would make more sense to continue the lockdown for a couple more weeks & then relax slightly. Either way, the Xmas guidance isn’t something I agree with.

London in tier two. What a shock!!
Is there justification for London to be in tier 3?

personally I think this drive towards allowing so many people to mix at Christmas is a massive mistake.

really do not see the big deal in having a small Christmas for one year. This 5 day mixing, will get out of control and be the most damaging period of the entire year.