SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I’m not reading the full report either! I think you might be misreading it though. Looks like only 100 out of 7.4k specimens were positive for antibodies. So a smidge over 1%, which isn’t “huge”. It’s also worth bearing in mind that blood donor serological surveys demonstrate a prevalence that consistently many multiples higher than in the community (presumably because they have regular interactions with hospitals/HCWs)
The 13/16 December (west coast) set showed 2.6% among males, 1.4% among females. But even that 100/7400 (1.35%) which looks at more of the US still sounds huge to me for random blood samples that were all from before the first case was officially seen outside China. Given that after the first wave in the UK the studies were suggesting that about 10% of the population had SAR2 antibodies - that 2% without anyone noticing seems big to me.

Unless, the US tests are picking up some antibodies from another coronavirus that happened to be protective in some way. I know that idea of some people already being immune (in varying proportions in different countries) has been suggested before.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The 13/16 December (west coast) set showed 2.6% among males, 1.4% among females. But even that 100/7400 (1.35%) which looks at more of the US still sounds huge to me for random blood samples that were all from before the first case was officially seen outside China. Given that after the first wave in the UK the studies were suggesting that about 10% of the population had SAR2 antibodies - that 2% without anyone noticing seems big to me.

Unless, the US tests are picking up some antibodies from another coronavirus that happened to be protective in some way. I know that idea of some people already being immune (in varying proportions in different countries) has been suggested before.
I remember there was a Swedish blood donor survey from very early on in the epidemic which nearly hit double figures, only for the community testing to end up as barely 1%. So the “real” % here is probably very low. It is extremely early though. Not sure what to make of that. Cross-reactivity seems most likely explanation.

Name Changed

weso26
I came back positive today after a negative test last Friday. I've been getting awful back pains. And either I'm full of life or absolutely shattered over the last few days, no middle ground! Other than that I feel grand.

Bratt

I came back positive today after a negative test last Friday. I've been getting awful back pains. And either I'm full of life or absolutely shattered over the last few days, no middle ground! Other than that I feel grand.
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We had two weeks of zero local transmission cases here in Singapore and were just about to break out in celebration before cases broke out again (albeit still quite low). It is quite likely that there is still transmission, just asymptomatic and undetected (yet).
Even thought we have had no community transmission in 4 days in South Australia it is quite possible that there is some undiscovered community transmission left, although they had gone many months previously and this cluster is of known source - a quarantine hotel - so fingers crossed.

Still possible Victoria and NSW have the odd case not found yet even though both are now beyond the 28 day 2 x infection cycle since the last community transmission - again fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Name Changed

weso26
It’s crazy how contagious it is
I was amazed. I genuinely wasn't in what is deemed as close contact with anyone. It must be that I touched a surface or something. One person basically brought it in and infected 6 others within a very short period of time. And I am expecting more,

lynchie

I was amazed. I genuinely wasn't in what is deemed as close contact with anyone. It must be that I touched a surface or something. One person basically brought it in and infected 6 others within a very short period of time. And I am expecting more,
What's your working environment like? That attack rate might suggest airborne - is it a fairly stuffy office?

Virgil

At last the U.K. seems to be ahead of the curve rather than behind it. Hope my optimism is not misplaced

zing

Zingle balls
Did you have symptoms when you tested negative?

zing

Zingle balls
Any update?
Tested negative, thankfully. Asked the person above the question because I had a fever of 101F and back pain, headache.

The doctor advised that false negatives are possible and I am wondering to what extent with the symptoms I had. Isolating for awhile in any case. I feel pretty normal now minus some tiredness. Thank you for asking.

prateik

Tested negative, thankfully. Asked the person above the question because I had a fever of 101F and back pain, headache.

The doctor advised that false negatives are possible and I am wondering to what extent with the symptoms I had. Isolating for awhile in any case. I feel pretty normal now minus some tiredness. Thank you for asking.
Was it a rapid test kit? those have a pretty high false negative rate .. at least the ones they are using in India.. not very reliable..

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Really good news.

GenZRed

'No tin foil hat silliness please'

This is the redcafe. Stupidity is the order of the day, especially in the current affairs forum.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
'No tin foil hat silliness please'

This is the redcafe. Stupidity is the order of the day, especially in the current affairs forum.
Wasn't your last warning for "Adds nothing to the discussion"? Go figure.

Andy_Cole

Interesting as I’ve had a bad back for 2 weeks since testing negative after being positive. Didn’t think it was a Covid symptom.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Found out yesterday that my grandfather, who wasn't taking the pandemic seriously re: wearing a mask and staying home, infected my dad who's now tested positive. Today my mom woke up with a fever and headache. Both of them took the pandemic pretty seriously wearing masks, avoiding crowds, etc., which makes this incredibly frustrating. Fortunately they're all experiencing minor symptoms so far , and I likely avoided it by leaving once we knew my grandfather was sick and had exposed my dad.

I spent from August til November managing a surveillance testing site at work for students, faculty, and staff testing 500-600 people a day, and now my biggest exposure was going to see my parents in a small town where very few people take this seriously. At least I have the privilege of being able to test myself weekly (or twice a week this week).

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I read that yesterday, in the US that there were 130,000+ new Covid cases and 2,000+ deaths. This shortly after Thanksgiving. So, for all those people in the UK looking forward to spending up to 5 days at Christmas with up to 3 families, you have been warned.

I read that yesterday, in the US that there were 130,000+ new Covid cases and 2,000+ deaths. This shortly after Thanksgiving. So, for all those people in the UK looking forward to spending up to 5 days at Christmas with up to 3 families, you have been warned.
And the rest. They had their second highest case numbers ever (203k), and their highest death number (2.8k). The US is beyond hope until Biden gets in and starts taking this seriously.

The two countries in the world you would have expected to have handled this the best have ended up being the two worst.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
And the rest. They had their second highest case numbers ever (203k), and their highest death number (2.8k). The US is beyond hope until Biden gets in and starts taking this seriously.

The two countries in the world you would have expected to have handled this the best have ended up being the two worst.
Why would you expect the US to handle this the best? They have a terrible health system (unless you are rich). Doesn’t suprise me at all they did bad especially with Trump in charge. Which other country do you refer to?

Why would you expect the US to handle this the best? They have a terrible health system (unless you are rich). Doesn’t suprise me at all they did bad especially with Trump in charge. Which other country do you refer to?
The UK.

Lots of places were citing this index early on.

Of the top 5 you'd probably say only Australia has done a really good job, and that was basically by closing the borders for a year.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It’s actually too soon for Thanksgiving transmission to be included in those cases. Won’t see it for another few days.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The Italian government passed a law yesterday to prohibit people leaving their own comunes/municipalities on December 25th and 26th, and New Year's Day. There's also no travel between regions allowed from 21st December to 6th Jan, apart from for work and situations of health emergency or other necessity.

On the upside, we're hoping that all the regions are going to be downgraded to yellow band for risk, which will mean you can leave your comune as long as you stay within your region. At present, we're confined to our village as our region is in the orange band for risk.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It’s actually too soon for Thanksgiving transmission to be included in those cases. Won’t see it for another few days.
It's surely coming though wouldn't you say? I have a horrible feeling Xmas in the UK is going to be pandemonium and expect to see big rises in the new year as a result.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
The UK.

Lots of places were citing this index early on.

Of the top 5 you'd probably say only Australia has done a really good job, and that was basically by closing the borders for a year.
Fair enough. Wouldn’t have thought this was the top 5. Certainly not the US.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The Italian government passed a law yesterday to prohibit people leaving their own comunes/municipalities on December 25th and 26th, and New Year's Day. There's also no travel between regions allowed from 21st December to 6th Jan, apart from for work and situations of health emergency or other necessity.

On the upside, we're hoping that all the regions are going to be downgraded to yellow band for risk, which will mean you can leave your comune as long as you stay within your region. At present, we're confined to our village as our region is in the orange band for risk.
That seems to be far more sensible than the forthcoming free for all in the UK over the Christmas period.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
This week vs last week (county by county in SC)

How are poeple around you responding to it? In the UK it seemed to me that after the first peak a good chunk of people didn't worry so much about growing cases, but once they started translating into deaths again, people got very worried again. More burned out than during the first lockdown but generally in agreement that things are bad enough to warrant another epic sacrifice.

Do you think people within your area / across the country are worried about things and think the government / citenzry aren't doing enough, or is there more acceptance that this is really bad but there's nothing we can do about it, people gotta live? I can't imagine the people that think this is all overblown are much more than a loud minority.

That seems to be far more sensible than the forthcoming free for all in the UK over the Christmas period.
It means they're allowing more household mixing over a longer period of time, though, while still allowing local families to get together on the holidays.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Yes, I think so. There's going to be increased travelling before Christmas if they make all the regions yellow ones (our lowest risk band), but in reality a lot of people will be working and won't be able to shoot off somewhere else.

Bratt

At the same time, I work in a place with ~15 adults and ~40 kids. We had an adult testing positive and two days later two kids tested positive. We know that the adult was at work with covid for at least one day and the children at least two days, still no one else caught it. Not even the kids families.
We do wash our hands a lot, but kids sneezes and coughs everywhere and in the faces of everyone, so I had expected a lot more cases.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
At the same time, I work in a place with ~15 adults and ~40 kids. We had an adult testing positive and two days later two kids tested positive. We know that the adult was at work with covid for at least one day and the children at least two days, still no one else caught it. Not even the kids families.
We do wash our hands a lot, but kids sneezes and coughs everywhere and in the faces of everyone, so I had expected a lot more cases.
It seems to be that only some people are very contagious. The vast majority of people who catch it won’t infect anyone else. But a small minority infect everyone they go near. If we could work out why it might make life a lot easier for us.