SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What was the average cases per day over that two week period? About 1000/day? So that’s 1 in 10 cases in someone under 12. Considering how transmissible this new strain is within households I wouldn’t be too concerned about those numbers.

We also don’t know how many (if any) of those kids passed the virus on to an adult. It’s been assumed to be a relatively rare event, which is one of the main reasons why younger kids are thought to play a fairly minor role in spreading the virus.
Well previously we were told that there was no impact so I consider this a significant development. The figures per day around the last week have been around 700 per day. If I assume that for the 2 weeks it puts the impact for kids around 14% of cases

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Yeah, we’ve an interesting experiment just started in Ireland. Two weeks with only the youngest kids back in school (<8) and no other changes to lockdown measures. After that we get two weeks with the 8-12’s back. Only after these four weeks will adults (other than teachers) be able to do anything different. It will be the first time we’ve ever seen the impact of primary schools on caseload in isolation. I’ll have some humble pie on stand bye, just in case!
Scotland has already started this. P1-P3 went back on the 22nd of February.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well previously we were told that there was no impact so I consider this a significant development. The figures per day around the last week have been around 700 per day. If I assume that for the 2 weeks it puts the impact for kids around 14% of cases
We were never told there was no impact. Kids have been getting covid since day one. The argument has been that they’re picking it up at home and not spreading it from household to household (in general, obviously there are exceptions) We’ll get a better idea if this is true by the end of this month. This new variant is ridiculously contagious so you couldn’t ask for a more rigorous test.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Cool. How are your numbers looking, one week in?
I’ll have a look for the numbers. I do know anecdotally that a school closed one day in because one of the kids came back in with a cough and infected at least 3 staff so that whole school and everyone in it is in isolation. Good times.

McUnited

Someone getting an abortion doesn't potentially kill thousands of others. Someone not getting a vaccine could do that.
Well, methinks you stack the potentialities in your favour here. One can equally argue that by eliminating an unborn child, you kill thousands, if not millions, of its potential offspring.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Well, methinks you stack the potentialities in your favour here. One can equally argue that by eliminating an unborn child, you kill thousands, if not millions, of its potential offspring.
You can’t ‘kill’ a theoretical child. Spreading covid by not taking the vaccine could kill actual living people.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s possible to split the embryo at an early stage of development, giving you twins. So one can equally argue that not doing this is killing billions of potential offspring.

acnumber9

It’s possible to split the embryo at an early stage of development, giving you twins. So one can equally argue that not doing this is killing billions of potential offspring.
Won’t somebody please think of the children?

McUnited

Oh the calamity!

AgentSmith

Peter Hitchens

Just think about that for a few seconds more and the answer ought to reveal itself to you.
Offspring relates specifically to a person’s children.

So no. No human has ever had millions of children. Obviously.

What kind of ridiculous logic is comparing an abortion to taking a vaccine anyways? And then what kind of fecked up logic is it to try and defend that comparison?

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
There must be a German word for the type of unhappiness that can only be derived from living in the shadow of a brilliant sibling.

I wonder if the relationship between Saul Goodman and Chuck McGill was based on those two.
Unfair to Chuck McGill to be compared to Peter Hitchens....

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
By people like you not understanding that what you’re doing is effectively forcing people to take the vaccine.
So how is this well know journalist being forced? Or is he just being a melodramatic idiot?

And I'm against forcing people to have the vaccine but all for encouraging them just as we encourage lots of things in society when people are too stupid to protect themselves and others.

F-Red

By people like you not understanding that what you’re doing is effectively forcing people to take the vaccine.
How are people forcing others to take a vaccine? Holding a gun to their head? So much melodrama.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Peter Hitchens

Just think about that for a few seconds more and the answer ought to reveal itself to you.
Adding "potential" to your sentence doesn't make it any less of a stupid point.

In contrast, in the real world, there have been numerous verifiable superspreader events with this virus.

McUnited

So how is this well know journalist being forced? Or is he just being a melodramatic idiot?

And I'm against forcing people to have the vaccine but all for encouraging them just as we encourage lots of things in society when people are too stupid to protect themselves and others.
There is no point trying to debate people who begin by calling their opponents ‘idiots’ and ‘stupid’ because they are obviously not prepared to debate in a civilized fashion.

Mike Smalling

Thanks Donald
Just read on CNN today, that Trump and Melania got the vaccine in January. If it's good enough for their God Emperor, surely it would be good enough for them as well? What is their excuse supposed to be?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
There is nto point trying to debate people who begin by calling their opponents ‘idiots’ and ‘stupid’ because they are obviously not prepared to debate in a civilized fashion.
So your statements in this thread were meant to be civilised debate? :lol:

I called Peter Hitchen a melodramatic idiot because that is exactly what he is being. He got the vaccine because he wanted the protection but wanted to try to make some ludicrous point about only doing it because he was coerced to try to avoid being shown to be full of shit about it being unnecessary. He is a rich famous notoriously stubborn white bloke. No way he was coerced and felt he had no choice.

Under normal circumstance those who refuse without a genuine medical condition (usually a previous reaction to a vaccine, an autoimmune issue or pregnancy) are either ill-informed or selfish or both. In a pandemic I'll add idiots.

Paying taxes, abiding by laws and being vaccinated for the greater good are part of the social contract we should all abide by.

As for not defending your previous statements perhaps you are just trying to avoid defending your views because you can't?

lynchie

Baxter

Scotland looking to move back into tiers come May. The tiers themselves are much stricter to get down to more normality and are based on WHO advice from November, before any vaccine program. Seems never ending.

McUnited

Unfair to Chuck McGill to b
So your statements in this thread were meant to be civilised debate? :lol:

I called Peter Hitchen a melodramatic idiot because that is exactly what he is being. He got the vaccine because he wanted the protection but wanted to try to make some ludicrous point about only doing it because he was coerced to try to avoid being shown to be full of shit about it being unnecessary. He is a rich famous notoriously stubborn white bloke. No way he was coerced and felt he had no choice.

Under normal circumstance those who refuse without a genuine medical condition (usually a previous reaction to a vaccine, an autoimmune issue or pregnancy) are either ill-informed or selfish or both. In a pandemic I'll add idiots.

Paying taxes, abiding by laws and being vaccinated for the greater good are part of the social contract we should all abide by.

As for not defending your previous statements perhaps you are just trying to avoid defending your views because you can't?

He didn't get the vaccine because he wanted protection. To think so betrays your ignorance of his views.
What previous statement am I not defending? I hope you'll forgive my brevity in responding, but this is a rather trivial pursuit.

GlasgowRedz

Scotland looking to move back into tiers come May. The tiers themselves are much stricter to get down to more normality and are based on WHO advice from November, before any vaccine program. Seems never ending.
I'm not entirely convinced that the tiers as they were prior to Christmas will be exactly the same come May time. I think there will be differences in what is allowed in each level with a little bit more leeway.

The First Minister mentioned in parliament earlier that there may be a revision of the Level 4 restrictions next week that will come into force on the 15th of March. She also noted at this point that a fuller plan of what is happening after the 26th of April will be announced.

I think we'll see a revision of what we're allowed to do in each level.