SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I think we have cracked it in the UK , there are loads of people about on holiday here this week , saw very few masks in Tesco today and it looks like the vaccines are working as people seem to be carrying on quite normal now and there is no rise in numbers.
I don't doubt you but it must vary hugely according to whereabouts you are. I've just come from a large, busy Morrisons and there wasn't a single person without a mask, not one. I go every week and I would have been astonished to see anyone without a mask, or even any of this 'under the chin' stuff I've seen posted about. A few days ago I was in a large Tesco and that was the same, better actually as they had big signs up saying 'shop on your own', I wish everywhere had them.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I don't doubt you but it must vary hugely according to whereabouts you are. I've just come from a large, busy Morrisons and there wasn't a single person without a mask, not one. I go every week and I would have been astonished to see anyone without a mask, or even any of this 'under the chin' stuff I've seen posted about. A few days ago I was in a large Tesco and that was the same, better actually as they had big signs up saying 'shop on your own', I wish everywhere had them.
Yeah think you’re right, mask compliance in my town is pretty much 100% in the big supermarkets

takeaways are a different ballgame however

Balljy

It varies within a mile for me, it's incredible. If I go to my local Co-op I see at least 5 people without masks every single time, but I've never seen anybody in the local Sainsbury without a mask or wearing it under the chin.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It varies within a mile for me, it's incredible. If I go to my local Co-op I see at least 5 people without masks every single time, but I've never seen anybody in the local Sainsbury without a mask or wearing it under the chin.
Those “under the chin” gobshites might as well wear a Trilby hat. It will be just as effective and look a lot smarter.

I’ve always thought masks are more useful as a way to identify people who are too selfish/stupid to care about anyone else than they are at containing the virus. Not many people have got infected doing their daily shop but anyone who refuses such a simple request - for a few minutes out of their day - is bound to be doing all sorts of things during the rest of the week that are making the pandemic worse for everyone.

djembatheking

The mask wearing has been very good here too until this week but there are a lot of tourists around now and most don`t seem to bother when they have got there holiday heads on , I also noticed there were less staff wearing masks too , hopefully there will be no significant rises in cases after the Easter holiday which will be a good sign that the vaccines are working.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Those “under the chin” gobshites might as well wear a Trilby hat. It will be just as effective and look a lot smarter.

I’ve always thought masks are more useful as a way to identify people who are too selfish/stupid to care about anyone else than they are at containing the virus. Not many people have got infected doing their daily shop but anyone who refuses such a simple request - for a few minutes out of their day - is bound to be doing all sorts of things during the rest of the week that are making the pandemic worse for everyone.
I couldn't help myself in the shops the other day. It was too crowded and seeing some dopey twat wearing his mask under his nose was the final straw. I just said to him as I was maneuvering my way past "you've had to wear one for a fecking year and you're still wearing it under your nose? You stupid cnut." And went on my way to get some passata. I don't know what his response was but I hope he went home and cried.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I hate those plastic face guards that contain the square root of feck all

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I hate those plastic face guards that contain the square root of feck all
Last year I saw an old lady in the street with a clear plastic visor on and she was vaping, putting the vape under the visor and then exhaling without moving the visor from its intended position. Obviously you could see this cloud escaping around the visor and blowing off down the street.

It was like watching some sort of science experiment they show on the BBC to demonstrate how ineffective something is.

Can someone shed light on these 4th wave predictions/summer spike for the UK? What exactly is the point of the vaccine - even if it is just the most vulnerable who are fully covered by that point - if that were to materialise?
Yeah, I was coming to ask that of people more knowledgable than me.

Is there any sort of indication (preprints or something?) of Astrazeneca not being as effective as hoped? There's been a big change in tone the last week or so from various outlets, including from Boris and SAGE. Have they seen some sort of data that we haven't?

Israel are still hyperpostive about Pfizer, and all the papers I've read show very good reason to be. Not so much good real world data available about AZ that I've seen.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah, I was coming to ask that of people more knowledgable than me.

Is there any sort of indication (preprints or something?) of Astrazeneca not being as effective as hoped? There's been a big change in tone the last week or so from various outlets, including from Boris and SAGE. Have they seen some sort of data that we haven't?

Israel are still hyperpostive about Pfizer, and all the papers I've read show very good reason to be. Not so much good real world data available about AZ that I've seen.
There was a study published several weeks ago which showed AZ to have extremely limited effectiveness (possibly as low as 10%) against the South African variant. It was small in size and not perfect but caused sufficient concern to the SA government for them to choose to not use the AZ vaccine at all. That’s bound to be a worry in any country that is predominantly using AZ.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I couldn't help myself in the shops the other day. It was too crowded and seeing some dopey twat wearing his mask under his nose was the final straw. I just said to him as I was maneuvering my way past "you've had to wear one for a fecking year and you're still wearing it under your nose? You stupid cnut." And went on my way to get some passata. I don't know what his response was but I hope he went home and cried.
That didn't actually happen though did it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That didn't actually happen though did it.
:lol:

I think stuff like that all the time but the most I’ve actually had the neck to say is a deliberately loud “it’s mad how many people don’t breathe through their noses” whilst walking away from people in Aldi.

There was a study published several weeks ago which showed AZ to have extremely limited effectiveness (possibly as low as 10%) against the South African variant. It was small in size and not perfect but caused sufficient concern to the SA government for them to choose to not use the AZ vaccine at all. That’s bound to be a worry in any country that is predominantly using AZ.
Thanks, appreciate it. The complete change in tone recently just had me a little suspicious.

Definitely a worry, as you say - even with small sample sizes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Good data on effect of schools opening in Ireland. Huge increase in testing but only slight increase in cases. Confirms what we thought/hoped. Transmission can and will happen in schools but they don’t act as the sort of super spreader events that caused the exponential growth in previous surges.

@lynchie
@acnumber9

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Has anyone found any good information on the free lateral flow tests from April 9th?

I'm happy to take them each week but I have only found one pharmacy in Bristol that appears to be doing it. Thought they mentioned you could have them sent to your home as well.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale

acnumber9

Good data on effect of schools opening in Ireland. Huge increase in testing but only slight increase in cases. Confirms what we thought/hoped. Transmission can and will happen in schools but they don’t act as the sort of super spreader events that caused the exponential growth in previous surges.

@lynchie
@acnumber9
The biggest test will still be secondary school children. I think they’ve underplayed how often school kids get Covid and we won’t really see the full impact of schools until all school kids are back. 75 cases a day seems like a lot when most kids aren’t at school yet.

lynchie

@lynchie
@acnumber9
Was the same in the UK. All school kids went back in, massively increased testing, and cases continued to decline, albeit a bit slower (although that slowdown started before schools went back). It's likely that all the testing cut a few chains of transmission off at the source, so that helped. Certainly the worst predictions of a big bang opening leading to massive community outbreaks were fairly wide of the mark.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The biggest test will still be secondary school children. I think they’ve underplayed how often school kids get Covid and we won’t really see the full impact of schools until all school kids are back. 75 cases a day seems like a lot when most kids aren’t at school yet.
Secondary schools have been back over 4 weeks in England. Kids are now tested twice a week so you would expect to detect a lot more cases that would not have been known about before, given how many are asymptomatic at that age. They have detected more, but there's not been an explosion as many predicted, overall infection rates are still dropping in most places.

I suspect some people (I'm not saying you ac) wanted to point the finger at schools hoping to absolve their pubs, restaurants, shops and businesses. I don't blame them for that, it's human nature, but it does look now as if schools were never the big source of infection they wanted them to be.

acnumber9

Secondary schools have been back over 4 weeks in England. Kids are now tested twice a week so you would expect to detect a lot more cases that would not have been known about before, given how many are asymptomatic at that age. They have detected more, but there's not been an explosion as many predicted, overall infection rates are still dropping in most places.

I suspect some people (I'm not saying you ac) wanted to point the finger at schools hoping to absolve their pubs, restaurants, shops and businesses. I don't blame them for that, it's human nature, but it does look now as if schools were never the big source of infection they wanted them to be.
With a vaccination programme ongoing. It’s good news and I’m glad to see it’s not impacting numbers. For me it was never a case of closing schools so other things could stay open. It was about closing schools along with everything else so we could get through this quicker. I think they underplayed their impact before they were closed. Hopefully the current trend continues.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The final two years of secondary school (who are arguably most likely to spread the virus, as physiologically closest to adults) were already back at school in the two weeks leading up to Easter holidays. Just first to fourth years still out.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Looking at the data in Israel it seems unlikely. He also seems to be operating on the assumption that what is going on in Europe now could make its way to the UK soon when what’s actually happening is what already happened in the Uk (highly contagious Kent variant) is only now hitting Europe.

Although, to be fair, if everyone lets down their guard completely you could have a huge surge in the young/unvaccinated. And even though a much smaller proportion end up in hospital the absolute numbers would be large enough to cause havoc.
Surely most obvious thing is mask wearing and continual social distancing? AFAIK there is no information when majority is lifted in middle of June for all that to stop yet the modelling all seems to be based on everything being like it was from Jan 2020 in terms of public interaction in day to day life.

I honestly can't see mask wearing and general guidance on keeping your distance between people being scrapped until early 2022 tbh and as frustrating as it is that's probably a good thing.

Obviously with the mass events that's a danger but ultimately that's where the passports will come into play. Worth noting none of this was around between July-September last year of course.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
With a vaccination programme ongoing. It’s good news and I’m glad to see it’s not impacting numbers. For me it was never a case of closing schools so other things could stay open. It was about closing schools along with everything else so we could get through this quicker. I think they underplayed their impact before they were closed. Hopefully the current trend continues.
Sorry to divert the conversation, but furthermore is this not a ringing endorsement for the effectiveness of the AZ vaccine that has been administered so far? That is by far the majority vaccine we have rolled out in this country (UK). School kids who have clearly not yet received any vaccination should be continuing to be super spreaders but aren't.

acnumber9

The final two years of secondary school (who are arguably most likely to spread the virus, as physiologically closest to adults) were already back at school in the two weeks leading up to Easter holidays. Just first to fourth years still out.
Hopefully that continues then. Because I do believe schools and workplaces are the big danger so if they can get it working there’s hope for everything else.

acnumber9

Sorry to divert the conversation, but furthermore is this not a ringing endorsement for the effectiveness of the AZ vaccine that has been administered so far? That is by far the majority vaccine we have rolled out in this country (UK). School kids who have clearly not yet received any vaccination should be continuing to be super spreaders but aren't.
Possibly. I doubt we’ll ever know for certain. Thankfully this isn’t about being right or wrong and continual reduction in cases is great news for everyone.

Water Melon

A friend of mine 47 years of age has been hospitalized after getting AZ vaccine. Horrific thrombosis, his whole left leg is blue in colour now. Has anybody heard of ZF 2001 vaccine?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The data being discussed is from Ireland.

F-Red

It's difficult to draw that as a complete conclusion when it's only been a week since the UK hasn't been in a stay at home status, and we've still to open up the rest of society. Looking at it in isolation, it's low, but infection source combined with other elements of society opening still has the ability to have a wider impact.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
A friend of mine 47 years of age has been hospitalized after getting AZ vaccine. Horrific thrombosis, his whole left leg is blue in colour now. Has anybody heard of ZF 2001 vaccine?
:eek::nervous: Same age as me. My batch number was PW40009. How quickly did it occur after the jab?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I do worry about the clotting issues especially having a metallic heart valve, I’m just hoping I’ll be ok as I’m on warfarin