SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't think vaccine hesitancy is the reason for either Taiwan or Singapore. Singapore has vaccinated 25% of the population. The pace of the vaccination is constrained by availability of vaccines. For Taiwan, they had problems procuring vaccines.

The recent spike in cases in Singapore is most likely due to the new variant being more transmissible. The spike in community cases was preceded by increased imported cases.

For Taiwan, they had probably let their guard down. They have been living their life as per normal, and when the new variant broke through their defence, the population was caught out cold.
Yeah, fair point. I was probably wrong to say vaccine hesitancy. Maybe a lack of vaccine urgency would be a better way to put it. At a national, rather than individual, level.

Both countries seemed to have society open at too high a level for the % of populace that’s been vaccinated. Which is why they are where they are. They’re still a long way short of the sort of surges we saw in European countries so this isn’t a disaster. More of a shot across the bows.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
And then in a month there is a new variant, and we delay again, and then another variant.
Would you rather an explosion of cases and deaths back in the hundreds per day?

The evidence suggests the vaccines work against this variant, it always made sense to open things up when protection is at the required level and not a moment before. June 21st was nothing but an election campaign promise.

F-Red

The evidence suggests the vaccines work against this variant, it always made sense to open things up when protection is at the required level and not a moment before. June 21st was nothing but an election campaign promise.
Most of the vulnerable have been offered a jab or have had both now, the hospitalisation elements have consistently decreased. I don't see any reason to prolong past June 21st, given that most in society (even those at a very low risk) will have been offered the first jab.

hmchan

Read something about it recently. Very little social distancing, poor vaccine uptake and Kent variant is a grim combination.

In a way this has always been a risk with zero covid strategy. Borders are inevitably porous and a population that hasn’t been used to social distancing will be vulnerable to the same sort of surges we’ve seen in worst case scenarios in countries like Italy, Belgium or the Uk.
While the current situation in Taiwan is not ideal, I wouldn't call them having zero COVID strategy. Taiwan was one of the first regions to close their border, and a place with zero COVID strategy would not have kept the case number this low for over a year. Despite the recent outbreak, they are still one of the most successful regions in dealing with the pandemic overall. Especially when you realize Taiwan is being excluded by the WHO, and the fact that people could live a normal life in the past year cannot be gone unnoticed.

As for vaccination, I'm not sure about the details but it seems they have a problem in procuring vaccines.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...erned-china-may-have-blocked-vaccine-purchase

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Most of the vulnerable have been offered a jab or have had both now, the hospitalisation elements have consistently decreased. I don't see any reason to prolong past June 21st, given that most in society (even those at a very low risk) will have been offered the first jab.
It’s a little hard to get your head round but the people who model these things seem convinced that there’s a % transmission increase for this new variant at which point the June 21st opening would cause such a massive outbreak that the numbers of not yet vaccinated (or vaccine refusers) plus vaccinated breakthrough illness (vaccines not 100% effective) would be enough to overwhelm hospitals even worse than the last surge.

They’ve set that cut off at 60% more transmissible than the Kent variant. Now we’re just waiting to see if we can work out what the actual % is.

F-Red

It’s a little hard to get your head round but the people who model these things seem convinced that there’s a % transmission increase for this new variant at which point the June 21st opening would cause such a massive outbreak that the numbers of not yet vaccinated (or vaccine refusers) plus vaccinated breakthrough illness (vaccines not 100% effective) would be enough to overwhelm hospitals even worse than the last surge.

They’ve set that cut off at 60% more transmissible than the Kent variant. Now we’re just waiting to see if we can work out what the actual % is.
I can see why they're offering caution as an approach but the trend in the numbers wouldn't suggest that hospitals are going to be overwhelmed, however interesting comments from Neil Ferguson yesterday. Considering his modelling has always been on the side of pessimism.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...-quickly-feared-uk-neil-ferguson-b935965.html

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I can see why they're offering caution as an approach but the trend in the numbers wouldn't suggest that hospitals are going to be overwhelmed, however interesting comments from Neil Ferguson yesterday. Considering his modelling has always been on the side of pessimism.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...-quickly-feared-uk-neil-ferguson-b935965.html
Interesting. The FT covid graph guy was tweeting yesterday about those curves possibly flattening too. Although it seems as though it’s far too early for anyone to have any confidence in their predictions either way.

I got sucked into another long Twitter thread where a very smart guy was presenting all available data from the two Uk sources and out of India then concluding that a 50% transmissibility increase seems likely.

Squeaky bum time for the next couple of weeks anyway!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57186059

Covid Test and Trace System failed to prevent the Indian Covid Variant from entering the UK.
Well. What do you expect for just £38 billions of pounds, most of which was paid to those with close ties to the government.....
Surly you did not expect a system that actually works....

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Anyone want to argue about Sweden again, for old time’s sakes? :angel:

”Many countries in Europe have been at considerably higher levels than what we are seeing now, so it's probably more about Sweden had a fairly late surge in this hopefully last third wave," state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell told a press conference, lamenting that the caseload was still higher than last summer.

The Scandinavian country has never imposed the type of lockdown seen elsewhere in Europe, controversially relying on mostly non-coercive measures.

It has however gradually tightened restrictions since November, including a ban on alcohol sales after 8pm and on public gatherings of more than eight people.

Since March, cafes, bars and restaurants have also been required to shut by 8.30pm.

The 14-day notification rate for deaths however was much lower than many other countries, with 12 cases per million inhabitants. In comparison, Hungary and Croatia saw death rates of 133 and 128 per million inhabitants respectively.

The total number of deaths associated with Covid-19 since the start of pandemic reached 14,351 there today, putting Sweden in the middle of the pack in Europe, although well ahead of Nordic neighbours Finland, Norway and Denmark.

Mortality statistics also show Sweden had a lower than average excess mortality in 2020, compared to the rest of Europe.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm confused. Doesn't that prove Sweden's approach worked well?
Kind of. Well compared to mainland Europe. Badly compared to their neighbours. Which is a fairer comparison. Although it’s hard to quantify the improved quality of life for Swedes who’ve had schools, amateur sports, bars, restaurants etc up and running throughout the pandemic.

Anyhoo. It’s been done to death. Just saw the article and thought I’d share. Feel like I just said Candy Man five times in front of a mirror now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

How come it didn't really happen last summer until well into September out of interest? Pubs and retail opened up at start of July, mandatory mask wearing in public spaces and transport only became mandatory in middle of June and plenty of meet ups with BLM protests and all that around that time. And Vaccine still 6 months off being introduced.

I don't for a second think masks will just be scrapped and social distancing also axed on that day in June, I can certainly see things being delayed for a few weeks into July which by then adult population will all have been offered the vaccine.

Danger period is of course start of November again, hopefully boosters been out for a few months by time that comes around.

Lj82

Yeah, fair point. I was probably wrong to say vaccine hesitancy. Maybe a lack of vaccine urgency would be a better way to put it. At a national, rather than individual, level.

Both countries seemed to have society open at too high a level for the % of populace that’s been vaccinated. Which is why they are where they are. They’re still a long way short of the sort of surges we saw in European countries so this isn’t a disaster. More of a shot across the bows.
I think Taiwan was definitely too open. I watch Taiwanese variety shows fairly frequent and it always amazes me how little masks i see on the streets and how many large-scale events they have. Basically life was as per normal for them.

Singapore actually still has pretty strict restrictions, far stricter than many European countries. But we were a bit too eager to open up i guess. We were supposed to host both the Shangri-La Dialogue and the WEF special session, both are cancelled now.

Lj82

While the current situation in Taiwan is not ideal, I wouldn't call them having zero COVID strategy. Taiwan was one of the first regions to close their border, and a place with zero COVID strategy would not have kept the case number this low for over a year. Despite the recent outbreak, they are still one of the most successful regions in dealing with the pandemic overall. Especially when you realize Taiwan is being excluded by the WHO, and the fact that people could live a normal life in the past year cannot be gone unnoticed.

As for vaccination, I'm not sure about the details but it seems they have a problem in procuring vaccines.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...erned-china-may-have-blocked-vaccine-purchase
Actually i think there was also some misjudgement from the Taiwanese side initially. They were banking on developing their own vaccines earlier on which did not succeed. Hence they were slow to procure vaccines. When they decided to do so, the link that you shared happened.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Actually i think there was also some misjudgement from the Taiwanese side initially. They were banking on developing their own vaccines earlier on which did not succeed. Hence they were slow to procure vaccines. When they decided to do so, the link that you shared happened.
This is what Australia did. They bet the bank on AZ (locally manufactured) and the locally developed UQ vaccine that failed. They were planning to announce a great Aussie victory with at least 12 huge Aussie flags behind them but are now in the shit through not treating this as a health issue but a party political issue. I hate them with a passion. Our Health Moron ... erm ... Minister yesterday even managed to tell the over 50's that they could hang off and not get the AZ vaccine and wait until the end of the year or 2022 to get Pfiser or Moderna. Before back-tracking when the idiocy of his own statement was pointed out to him. The utter feckwit.

Last edited:

Eugenius

How come it didn't really happen last summer until well into September out of interest? Pubs and retail opened up at start of July, mandatory mask wearing in public spaces and transport only became mandatory in middle of June and plenty of meet ups with BLM protests and all that around that time. And Vaccine still 6 months off being introduced.

I don't for a second think masks will just be scrapped and social distancing also axed on that day in June, I can certainly see things being delayed for a few weeks into July which by then adult population will all have been offered the vaccine.

Danger period is of course start of November again, hopefully boosters been out for a few months by time that comes around.
At low levels of cases it takes a while for exponential growth to come through into big numbers.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Because the original variant was much less infectious. Last summer wouldn’t have happened if the Kent variant was dominant. And the Indian variant could be more infectious still

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Kind of. Well compared to mainland Europe. Badly compared to their neighbours. Which is a fairer comparison. Although it’s hard to quantify the improved quality of life for Swedes who’ve had schools, amateur sports, bars, restaurants etc up and running throughout the pandemic.

Anyhoo. It’s been done to death. Just saw the article and thought I’d share. Feel like I just said Candy Man five times in front of a mirror now.
Well, yeah, exactly. So their health service was never overwhelmed and they mostly got to live their lives they way they want, sounds pretty... great?

Obviously it's highly unlikely Sweden's approach would've worked in Ireland but anyone who tries to call that a failure was probably one of the ones saying they'd end up with an enormous death toll early on. So I'm with Jose on this one.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Well, yeah, exactly. So their health service was never overwhelmed and they mostly got to live their lives they way they want, sounds pretty... great?

Obviously it's highly unlikely Sweden's approach would've worked in Ireland but anyone who tries to call that a failure was probably one of the ones saying they'd end up with an enormous death toll early on. So I'm with Jose on this one.
It does sound good but, like I said, hard to quantify. How many avoidable deaths are acceptable for you or I to have been able to keep going to pubs over the last 18 months? If you’ve lost loved ones to covid, you might argue that one is too many.

It’s really hard to unpick all the pros and cons of the various different approaches and work out what’s the “best” one. Especially with different countries having so many different variables that an identical strategy could cause dramatically different outcomes.

Whatever, hindsight is definitely showing that Sweden’s response wasn’t the complete and utter disaster many predicted it would be. And that’s even after the vaccines surpassed all expectations. Sweden decided to hedge against the possibility of vaccines either never being available or taking several years. So rapid rollout of extremely effective vaccines is the scenario which should be making them look most foolish. Yet that isn’t what’s happened.

Massive Spanner

It does sound good but, like I said, hard to quantify. How many avoidable deaths are acceptable for you or I to have been able to keep going to pubs over the last 18 months? If you’ve lost loved ones to covid, you might argue that one is too many.

It’s really hard to unpick all the pros and cons of the various different approaches and work out what’s the “best” one. Especially with different countries having so many different variables that an identical strategy could cause dramatically different outcomes.

Whatever, hindsight is definitely showing that Sweden’s response wasn’t the complete and utter disaster many predicted it would be. And that’s even after the vaccines surpassed all expectations. Sweden decided to hedge against the possibility of vaccines either never being available or taking several years. So rapid rollout of extremely effective vaccines is the scenario which should be making them look most foolish. Yet that isn’t what’s happened.
It's funny you mention the pub there when just above you mentioned the schools stayed open throughout. Weren't you clamouring for schools to be the first thing open in Ireland and that educating our children as a society is fundamental, and that it was arguably the biggest travesty of Covid? Why not use that as a barometer vs lives lost instead? I mean technically you did want schools to reopen when cases went low so isn't that still, sort of, saying.. ok, I'm all right with a few more deaths now as long as the kids go back to school, no?

I won't even attempt to go into the "oh what is life worth to you" nonsense, it's what people always brought up throughout whenever anyone said anything about maybe not being in an endless lockdown and it's a load of shite.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's funny you mention the pub there when just above you mentioned the schools stayed open throughout. Weren't you clamouring for schools to be the first thing open in Ireland and that educating our children as a society is fundamental, and that it was arguably the biggest travesty of Covid? Why not use that as a barometer vs lives lost instead? I mean technically you did want schools to reopen when cases went low so isn't that still, sort of, saying.. ok, I'm all right with a few more deaths now as long as the kids go back to school, no?

I won't even attempt to go into the "oh what is life worth to you" nonsense, it's what people always brought up throughout whenever anyone said anything about maybe not being in an endless lockdown and it's a load of shite.
Easy tiger. I said pub because assumed you’d find that more relatable.

From my perspective I’m most envious of amateur sports (for kids and adults) not closing. Followed by schools. Then pubs. Lots of individuals would have pubs lower down their own list. Some would have them at the top.

Then you have to think about what a society should prioritise. What’s the trade off that is best for society as a whole, even though it will piss off many individuals.

Trying to find balance between deaths vs keeping society open is right at the heart of all these discussions. And it’s very very hard to work out where the sweet spot is. I certainly don’t think we can say that Sweden got it spot on and we didn’t. Or vice versa. In two or three years the dull grind of lockdown will be an unpleasant memory but the dead will still be dead. That’s the reality behind these tough decisions and countries that prioritised saving lives could certainly argue that theirs was a better strategy in the long term.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Easy tiger. I said pub because assumed you’d find that more relatable.

From my perspective I’m most envious of amateur sports (for kids and adults) not closing. Followed by schools. Then pubs. Lots of individuals would have pubs lower down their own list. Some would have them at the top.

Then you have to think about what a society should prioritise. What’s the trade off that is best for society as a whole, even though it will piss off many individuals.

Trying to find balance between deaths vs keeping society open is right at the heart of all these discussions. And it’s very very hard to work out where the sweet spot is. I certainly don’t think we can say that Sweden got it spot on and we didn’t. Or vice versa. In two or three years the dull grind of lockdown will be an unpleasant memory but the dead will still be dead. That’s the reality behind these tough decisions and countries that prioritised saving lives could certainly argue that theirs was a better strategy in the long term.
Well, neither did I, though. I clearly stated that Sweden's approach wouldn't work here, that's quite obvious. We needed lockdowns, even with them our health service nearly got overwhelmed at least one. But that's the thing, most European governments haven't actually focused on deaths, they've tried balancing a fine line between keeping society open and avoiding their health services getting completely fecked, right? If Sweden managed to achieve that without locking down at all, I'd call that a success for them.

There was an article in the IT a while ago from an Irish woman who lives in Sweden, it had all the usual tropes about higher death rates than neighbours and failure to actually achieve herd immunity, but funnily enough, the average Swede didn't seem to care.

But ask any Swede today and surprisingly most would say they are happy with the status quo and the freedom it allows.
So yeah, um, I still don't get how it wasn't a success for them?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Well, neither did I, though. I clearly stated that Sweden's approach wouldn't work here, that's quite obvious. We needed lockdowns, even with them our health service nearly got overwhelmed at least one. But that's the thing, most European governments haven't actually focused on deaths, they've tried balancing a fine line between keeping society open and avoiding their health services getting completely fecked, right? If Sweden managed to achieve that without locking down at all, I'd call that a success for them.

There was an article in the IT a while ago from an Irish woman who lives in Sweden, it had all the usual tropes about higher death rates than neighbours and failure to actually achieve herd immunity, but funnily enough, the average Swede didn't seem to care.

So yeah, um, I still don't get how it wasn't a success for them?
Because you can’t judge success on what one person says about how “the average Swede” feels.

massi83

Why are you guys having a discussion about something neither of you know nothing about?

Massive Spanner

Over 14000 people dead. Mostly avoidably.
Which is still better than a lot of European countries that did lock down. So yeah, Sweden failed in the same way that a lot failed, they lost more than some countries, and less than others.
Because you can’t judge success on what one person says about how “the average Swede” feels.
Heh, it's funny because I keep being told that Sweden's approach was a failure by you and others yet nobody can actually pinpoint why. Sure, the facts won't be known for years, but again, Sweden have less excess deaths and most European countries don't they? I'm just really struggling to see what was so damn awful about their approach, certainly awful enough for you to continuously ridicule a certain Swede in here who, funnily enough, is defending his own countries approach.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Which is still better than a lot of European countries that did lock down. So yeah, Sweden failed in the same way that a lot failed, they lost more than some countries, and less than others.

Heh, it's funny because I keep being told that Sweden's approach was a failure by you and others yet nobody can actually pinpoint why. Sure, the facts won't be known for years, but again, Sweden have less excess deaths and most European countries don't they? I'm just really struggling to see what was so damn awful about their approach, certainly awful enough for you to continuously ridicule a certain Swede in here who, funnily enough, is defending his own countries approach.
I think you’re confusing me with someone else. I never ridiculed “a certain Swede”. If anything, I’ve erred on the side of defending Sweden’s approach. It’s been obvious for ages that they definitely made mistakes but the outcome has been far from the apocalypse many predicted. My main argument throughout has been that works in one country won’t necessarily work as well in a different country. And working out the optimal approach is incredibly difficult.

My main beef has consistently been with back seat experts who are absolutely certain they know best, without any idea of the complexities involved in making these tough decisions (not aimed at you, personally!).

Massive Spanner

I think you’re confusing me with someone else. I never ridiculed “a certain Swede”. If anything, I’ve erred on the side of defending Sweden’s approach. It’s been obvious for ages that they definitely made mistakes but the outcome has been far from the apocalypse many predicted.
Fair enough Pogue. Like I said, I don't in any way advocate the Sweden approach here or in other countries because it probably wouldn't work but it's the idea that theirs has been a failure despite having less deaths and less excess deaths than many other Western nations that did lock down that irks me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Fair enough Pogue. Like I said, I don't in any way advocate the Sweden approach here or in other countries because it probably wouldn't work but it's the idea that theirs has been a failure despite having less deaths and less excess deaths than many other Western nations that did lock down that irks me.
It irks me too. Which is why I posted the link that started this discussion!

hmchan

I think Taiwan was definitely too open. I watch Taiwanese variety shows fairly frequent and it always amazes me how little masks i see on the streets and how many large-scale events they have. Basically life was as per normal for them.

Singapore actually still has pretty strict restrictions, far stricter than many European countries. But we were a bit too eager to open up i guess. We were supposed to host both the Shangri-La Dialogue and the WEF special session, both are cancelled now.
Looking from hindsight it's definitely too open. But considering Taiwan had 0 local case in 253 days, there was no reason or justification to put restriction on people. People had the right and deserved to live a normal life and the benefits couldn't be overlooked. If there had been no new case in your country for a few months, I bet you wouldn't be happy to wear a mask everywhere or be banned from large-scale events too.

That said, it's unfortunate there's a loophole in the border control that leads to this outbreak and ruins their effort. They also should have done better in terms of vaccination.