SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Adamsk7

aaaaaand a second person at my partners work has tested positive. Fingers crossed for us, guys!

Irwin99

Did they advise you not to get the second jab?
No not at all, just call 111 if I have any problems. They did keep an eye on me for half an hour after but the whole experience felt a bit odd what with two other people feeling bad too. They told me that people react differently but having my eye sight go really blurry before I was sick was scary as hell. Thought I was going to blackout.

Feel fine now although the football incident didn't exactly help.

Anustart89

No not at all, just call 111 if I have any problems. They did keep an eye on me for half an hour after but the whole experience felt a bit odd what with two other people feeling bad too. They told me that people react differently but having my eye sight go really blurry before I was sick was scary as hell. Thought I was going to blackout.

Feel fine now although the football incident didn't exactly help.
Do you react similarly to having blood tests taken, seeing blood or anything like that? Sounds like a vasovagal reaction which is harmless (unless you faint, fall over and hit your head)

zing

Zingle balls

decorativeed

Had my first jab, Pfizer, and I threw up all in my face mask at the vaccination centre. Felt really unwell and thought I was going to collapse but I felt much better after being sick.Weirdly there were two other people there who had that jab who had bad reactions too; one of the guys had to be laid on the floor. Just hope he's alright and I hope I'm alright now.
I feared that would be me, as I have done that in the past following painkiller jabs at the dentist, but it was absolutely fine. The people there did say that lots of people just have that reaction to an injection of any kind.

How are you doing now?

Irwin99

Do you react similarly to having blood tests taken, seeing blood or anything like that? Sounds like a vasovagal reaction which is harmless (unless you faint, fall over and hit your head)
No, although I was sick in pretty much the exact same way twenty years ago as a kid when having a meningitis jab. I told this to the people doing my jab and they were fine with it.

I feared that would be me, as I have done that in the past following painkiller jabs at the dentist, but it was absolutely fine. The people there did say that lots of people just have that reaction to an injection of any kind.

How are you doing now?
Feeling fine now thanks, apart from a dull ache in my arm which sounds very common. I just found the experience weird that two other people had bad reactions as well as me. Felt a bit surreal seeing a big healthy-looking guy laid on the floor after having his jab. He seemed to be a bit better as I was leaving though so I'm sure he's ok.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
My wife is now in isolation following one of her colleagues testing positive , exactly a day after losing her fight with her bosses to continue to work from home! They were masked up and largely social distancing for the one day they were together and she (and I ) have had negative lateral flow tests so hopefully we’ll be ok. We’ve both also had one jab so there’s some protection there too at least. My work as opposed to hers are overly cautious and they’ve sent me home too and I’m not to return until we both have a negative PCR.

I know two other people that also got told to isolate today so that shows how prevalent it is again in the UK. Stay safe people.
Which industry?

I thought firms were becoming a bit more open-minded.

Dan_F

Silly idea. Why waste a holiday when you can just phone in sick? I'm going to make sure the day after falls on a work day!
My second falls on a Thursday. My boss is definitely going to think I’m taking the piss if I take a Friday off sick, but I know everyone else has been doing it.

decorativeed

My second falls on a Thursday. My boss is definitely going to think I’m taking the piss if I take a Friday off sick, but I know everyone else has been doing it.
What's so special about a Friday? Especially nowadays, it's not like you'll be suspected of going out clubbing!

Dan_F

What's so special about a Friday? Especially nowadays, it's not like you'll be suspected of going out clubbing!
I guess it’s just the day that most people would take off sick if they wanted a longer weekend. I wouldn’t unless I was actually sick anyway.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

This video is really worrying especially consider one of the guests is the inventor of mRNA vaccine technology.
You don’t seriously expect us to watch a three hour video?

I dropped in after 15 minutes to get a feel for it and the bald bloke on the right was talking absolute nonsense (“all other vaccines stay in your shoulder, this is the only vaccine ever made that produces antigens which move around your body”) and lost the will to stick with them any longer.

EDIT: Little bit of digging reveals they’re touting snake oil like ivermectin and other unproven covid treatments and hence have a blatant anti-vax agenda. Best filed under “ignore”.

Last edited:

Santos J

I dropped in after 15 minutes to get a feel for it and the bald bloke on the right was talking absolute nonsense (“all other vaccines stay in your shoulder, this is the only vaccine ever made that produces antigens which move around your body”) and lost the will to stick with them any longer.

EDIT: Little bit of digging reveals they’re touting snake oil like ivermectin and other unproven covid treatments and hence have a blatant anti-vax agenda. Best filed under “ignore”.
You can get a gist of it from the timestamps in the description and yeah it seems about as batshit as you'd expect.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Feeling fine now thanks, apart from a dull ache in my arm which sounds very common. I just found the experience weird that two other people had bad reactions as well as me. Felt a bit surreal seeing a big healthy-looking guy laid on the floor after having his jab. He seemed to be a bit better as I was leaving though so I'm sure he's ok.
I think all of these anecdotal points of evidence are due to a whole planet getting an injection at once, and lots of people witnessing each other at mass vaccination centres.

People get woozy after needles all the time, it’s just in a more private setting. If everyone gave blood, or took a flu shot, or A.N.Other vaccine we’d see similar results.

(The side effects, less so of course)

NYAS

Is it true that Vallance said in the press conference yesterday that even some double-vaccinated people will still die from Covid?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I scrubbed through and the whole thing is batshit crazy.

NYAS

Not impossible but so incredibly rare as to be irrelevant.
Agreed, but it’s massive ammunition to anti-vax idiots. Honestly I’m shocked that he’s said that on live TV. The majority of the population aren’t capable of the thinking required to reach the caveat in your post.

Dan_F

Agreed, but it’s massive ammunition to anti-vax idiots. Honestly I’m shocked that he’s said that on live TV. The majority of the population aren’t capable of the thinking required to reach the caveat in your post.
This is probably a stupid question, but is there data on the deaths that are occurring now and whether they are double, single or not vaccinated? Surely this would shut a lot of those people up, or stop so much hesitancy?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
This is probably a stupid question, but is there data on the deaths that are occurring now and whether they are double, single or not vaccinated? Surely this would shut a lot of those people up, or stop so much hesitancy?
There is data compiled by PHE. It confirms that people have died from covid despite being fully vaccinated. The “100% efficacy against severe disease/hospitalisation” claims we saw based on the vaccine trials was always a pipe dream. They didn’t recruit enough people to be able to stand over those claims. And this was before these latest variants.

This same PHE data does confirm that you’re a hell of a lot less likely to get sick/die if you’ve been vaccinated. Which is all that matters really.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It would be much worse to rule out that possibility and then the evidence points to that happening, however rarely. Then it would be classed as a cover up and conspiracies would have some merit. When the evidence is this positive, there is very little benefit to hiding the uncomfortable facts anyway. Most people aren’t good at estimating probabilities but they can understand the idea that this thing does its job exceptionally well, but not perfectly. If people claimed it was perfect it would raise more suspicions, IMO.

NYAS

It would be much worse to rule out that possibility and then the evidence points to that happening, however rarely. Then it would be classed as a cover up and conspiracies would have some merit. When the evidence is this positive, there is very little benefit to hiding the uncomfortable facts anyway. Most people aren’t good at estimating probabilities but they can understand the idea that this thing does its job exceptionally well, but not perfectly. If people claimed it was perfect it would raise more suspicions, IMO.
Fair point. I think though if he was going to say something like that it would have helped to then immediately provide figures on how unlikely it is, or something similar.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Fair point. I think though if he was going to say something like that it would have helped to then immediately provide figures on how unlikely it is, or something similar.
Yeah agreed, at this point I imagine we have enough data to make robust claims about it. Definitely sounds a bit alarming without appropriate context!

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
There have been a couple of recent deaths in Bolton of people who were fully-vaccinated. If they have some underlying problem chronic health issues, it's always more likely to happen.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
When will they announce the guided number of daily cases that will be deemed acceptable to lead normal everyday life again?

Is it going to be cases in the 10s, 100s, low thousands? Sooner or later we will have to have a serious convo on this and I actually think it would get everyone to focus a bit more rather than just the finger wagging...."just a few more weeks now" message that people are generally just rolling their eyes at (just to state I fully accept delaying for another few weeks is sensible while people getting double dosed gets up to about 40m so 75% ish).

Given every press conference now Johnson, Whitty and Vallance state we'll have to live with covid for foreseeable future there dosen't seem to be much in the way of projections around for what could be deemed acceptable safe amount of risk and the trade offs.

I don't expect any day to day normality until 2022 tbh but would be good to have a guide at least and see how far away we are from it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
When will they announce the guided number of daily cases that will be deemed acceptable to lead normal everyday life again?

Is it going to be cases in the 10s, 100s, low thousands? Sooner or later we will have to have a serious convo on this and I actually think it would get everyone to focus a bit more rather than just the finger wagging...."just a few more weeks now" message that people are generally just rolling their eyes at (just to state I fully accept delaying for another few weeks is sensible while people getting double dosed gets up to about 40m so 75% ish).

Given every press conference now Johnson, Whitty and Vallance state we'll have to live with covid for foreseeable future there dosen't seem to be much in the way of projections around for what could be deemed acceptable safe amount of risk and the trade offs.

I don't expect any day to day normality until 2022 tbh but would be good to have a guide at least and see how far away we are from it.
It's a fair question, but it's still difficult to give a fair answer. I think we've got used to the idea of flu deaths (typically 10-30,000 per year in the UK). Theoretically at least I think people would accept similar misery from covid but we currently can't even guarantee that.

The infection exposure v cases v hospitalisations v deaths ratios are changing dramatically now as vaccines come in, but they also potentially change as the virus mutates. The current best guess for Delta is that 10,000 cases (per day) means about 400 new hospitalisations/day. We don't know about the deaths yet, but probably no worse than 100/day. "Just" flu type misery.

The trouble is that the virus doesn't care about our vision of acceptable loss. 10,000 cases/day of a highly infectious disease can quickly (by doubling every week or two) become 20,000 or 40,000 or 80,000 and we can't just switch the controls (or the hospital beds and funeral parlours) on and off for years.

The more people vaccinated, the lower we can force the case rate, and the longer it would take to climb again.

Longer term - we need to learn some lessons.

Ventilation in homes, schools, offices, transport, factories, pubs etc needs tackling. Cultural (and financial) changes to discourage people from going to work when sick are needed. Same with things like self-quarantine for contacts/exposure - can it be replaced with testing and what can we make easier about doing it. We need to make things work better.

Similarly, it's worth remembering that the normal flu season can mean hospitals get overwhelmed. Throw a similar scale of covid on top and the NHS will never really restart other services. Care homes need more support. We need more spending, and that means more taxes. We'll keep paying for covid financially as well as in health terms even after the last social distancing limit is lifted.

Last edited:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It's a fair question, but it's still difficult to give a fair answer. I think we've got used to the idea of flu deaths (typically 10-30,000 per year in the UK). Theoretically at least I think people would accept similar misery from covid but we currently can't even guarantee that.

The infection exposure v cases v hospitalisations v deaths ratios are changing dramatically now as vaccines come in, but they also potentially change as the virus mutates. The current best guess for Delta is that 10,000 cases (per day) means about 400 new hospitalisations/day. We don't know about the deaths yet, but probably no worse than 100/day. "Just" flu type misery.
This is the big question and I’m very hopeful it won’t be that high. I think the models on twitter saying we’re at 4-5% of cases resulting in hospitalisation are still using 10 days as the hospitalisation point but from what we know about delta it seems less than that due to the higher viral load. You get symptoms quicker and then hospitalisation quicker. Which is interesting because in theory that wouid reduce the asymptomatic timeframe which you’d think would result in less spread - maybe it’s just people aren’t isolating because the symptoms are so mild initially - headache/runny nose/sore throat.

DFreshKing

Quite bizarre and poor interpretation from you. One of the guys on the panel is the literal inventor of the mRNA vaccine technology and holds the patent for which these vaccines have been created. Maybe dig a bit more? Two of them have also had the vaccine along with being the inventor of its tech so no not anti vax at all. A smaller digestible video that has a snippet of what they are getting at. They are worried about the data, not the same as anti vax.

Unless this is all one big hoax then I apologize unreservedly but I've seen nothing to suggest that. The shouty guy did get in the way quite a lot I do agree but he did come out and apologise and its pinned to the comments.

You should not make the same mistake of shouting down something like the lableak theory as it can costs lives.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Quite bizarre and poor interpretation from you. One of the guys on the panel is the literal inventor of the mRNA vaccine technology and holds the patent for which these vaccines have been created. Maybe dig a bit more? Two of them have also had the vaccine along with being the inventor of its tech so no not anti vax at all. A smaller digestible video that has a snippet of what they are getting at. They are worried about the data, not the same as anti vax.

Unless this is all one big hoax then I apologize unreservedly but I've seen nothing to suggest that. The shouty guy did get in the way quite a lot I do agree but he did come out and apologise and its pinned to the comments.

You should not make the same mistake of shouting down something like the lableak theory as it can costs lives.

I did some digging after my last post. The Robert Malone guy was involved in some early research re therapeutic mRNA and has some patents in that area but most definitely did not invent the vaccines being used today. Or any other vaccine ever. Literally the only person who is claiming that Robert Malone invented mRNA vaccines is Robert Malone. The fact he seems determined to take credit for the achievements of other scientists is a huge red flag.

Here’s a good article about the scientists we should really be crediting for this amazing innovation. Not one mention of Robert Malone, funnily enough.

Walton’s website has angry rants about “intellectual rape” so he seems to be pissed off about not getting the credit he thinks he deserves, which explains why he seems intent on discrediting those who went the hard yards in taking a theory all the way through to an effective therapeutic intervention.

I didn’t do any digging on the other guys but, as I said, the small clip I watched featured one of them talking absolute nonsense so I’m not really interested in listening to anything else they say.

DFreshKing

I did some digging after my last post. The Robert Malone guy was involved in some early research re therapeutic mRNA and has some patents in that area but most definitely did not invent the vaccines being used today. Or any other vaccine ever. Literally the only person who is claiming that Robert Malone invented mRNA vaccines is Robert Malone. The fact he seems determined to take credit for the achievements of other scientists is a huge red flag.

Here’s a good article about the scientists we should really be crediting for this amazing innovation. Not one mention of Robert Malone, funnily enough.

Walton’s website has angry rants about “intellectual rape” so he seems to be pissed off about not getting the credit he thinks he deserves, which explains why he seems intent on discrediting those who went the hard yards in taking a theory all the way through to an effective therapeutic intervention.

I didn’t do any digging on the other guys but, as I said, the small clip I watched featured one of them talking absolute nonsense so I’m not really interested in listening to anything else they say.
thanks - he seems more involved than you suggest but in any case it disproves your wild anti vax theory.

another article on the tech and his involvement.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/247/4949/1465