SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The "where is Delta" question is complicated by the monitoring strategy in different countries as well. Some are faster than others (so are only just reporting samples taken in mid May) some monitor almost all cases (Denmark), most cases (UK), few cases (most including Portugal) - so the story is incomplete.

There's a big chance of sampling bias in this smaller data sets. So for example this chart:

It looks detailed but some of the case numbers behind it aren't so convincing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The "where is Delta" question is complicated by the monitoring strategy in different countries as well. Some are faster than others (so are only just reporting samples taken in mid May) some monitor almost all cases (Denmark), most cases (UK), few cases (most including Portugal) - so the story is incomplete.

There's a big chance of sampling bias in this smaller data sets. So for example this chart:

It looks detailed but some of the case numbers behind it aren't so convincing.
Small sample sizes won’t necessarily cause bias per se so long as the sample is carefully selected. When the numbers are as low as, say, Portugal then that becomes almost impossible.

One thing’s for sure. It’s a matter of when not if this variant becomes dominant in Europe.

massi83

I would imagine FT has taken those into account. They have been very good with their analysis throughout.

Also Portugal vs Spain isn't really surprising at all. Portugal's absolute numbers were quite low so much easier for delta's proportional size to grow faster.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I would imagine FT has taken those into account. They have been very good with their analysis throughout.

Also Portugal vs Spain isn't really surprising at all. Portugal's absolute numbers were quite low so much easier for delta's proportional size to grow faster.
Here’s where the FT are getting their data from. Doesn’t get into the methodology behind the sampling in the various countries and includes this disclaimer

This website summarizes the submissions of genomes from the tracked variant to GISAID. Observed frequencies are subject to sampling and reporting biases and do not represent exact prevalence.
Not that it matters very much. Each country will end up making their own judgement calls based on their own data. And they will have a better understanding of exactly how reliable it is.

massi83

Here’s where the FT are getting their data from. Doesn’t get into the methodology behind the sampling in the various countries and includes this disclaimer

Not that it matters very much. Each country will end up making their own judgement calls based on their own data. And they will have a better understanding of exactly how reliable it is.
Countries like Italy who continously say they are at around 1%?

massi83

7.7% according to GISAID. Whose data is supplied to them by individual countries. Where are Italy contradicting that %?

In Ireland the 2.2% figure on GISAID exactly matches what is published in our local press.
Well that was overly facetious of me. Penna is referencing the 1-2%, so I would expect that is what they say in the press. But it does seem some countires are either behind FT on their analysis or spreding misinfromation.

Also gisaid is last 4 weeks, which is behind the current situation by a lot. And the 26% from FT is pretty close to (a bit more) what you would expect the share to be today if it has been 7.7% over the last 4 weeks.

massi83

And gisaid data seems to be lacking even more. Finland has had over 200 cases of delta and there it reads 51, and 0,0%.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Well that was overly facetious of me. Penna is referencing the 1-2%, so I would expect that is what they say in the press. But it does seem some countires are either behind FT on their analysis or spreding misinfromation.

Also gisaid is last 4 weeks, which is behind the current situation by a lot. And the 26% from FT is pretty close to (a bit more) what you would expect the share to be today if it has been 7.7% over the last 4 weeks.
It’s even more complicated than that. As @jojojo alluded to, differing genotyping methodologies between countries mean sometimes the “latest” survey results are from samples collected two weeks ago. In other countries (e.g. UK) there’s a 24 hour turnaround.

Basically it’s very difficult to get accurate comparisons between countries for all sorts of reasons. Hence what matters most of all are trends within countries. And the decision-makers in those individual countries will be best placed to understand limitations of the data which they are basing their decisions on.

massi83

It’s even more complicated than that. As @jojojo alluded to, differing genotyping methodologies between countries mean sometimes the “latest” survey results are from samples collected two weeks ago. In other countries (e.g. UK) there’s a 24 hour turnaround.

Basically it’s very difficult to get accurate comparisons between countries for all sorts of reasons. Hence what matters most of all are trends within countries. And the decision-makers in those individual countries will be best placed to understand limitations of the data which they are basing their decisions on.
I obviously know your point from 1st paragraph. As for 2nd, several countries have made several very simple mistakes throughout pandemic. You seem confident that they won't repeat themselves. I have no idea why you think so.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I obviously know your point from 1st paragraph. As for 2nd, several countries have made several very simple mistakes throughout pandemic. You seem confident that they won't repeat themselves. I have no idea why you think so.
I’m only discussing the scientific interpretation of these data. How reliable they are and the potential for biased/misleading results.

As you well know, the “simple mistakes” come when science interacts with politics.

massi83

I’m only discussing the scientific interpretation of these data. How reliable they are and the potential for biased/misleading results.

As you well know, the “simple mistakes” come when science interacts with politics.
Fair enough.

I will add that when I challenged Finnish health authorities in March 2020 when they were saying that IFR is 0.1%, or later when Tegnell said it is 0.3%, I was also met with "scientist know better". Some scientists are bad at their job.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Fair enough.

I will add that when I challenged Finnish health authorities in March 2020 when they were saying that IFR is 0.1%, or later when Tegnell said it is 0.3%, I was also met with "scientist know better". Some scientists are bad at their job.
Yeah, I think that’s fair. I remember @Arruda making some great points early on last year about how the conventional approach to scientific consensus just doesn’t work in a fast moving scenario like this pandemic.

Although I think a lot of lessons were learned after previous surges and the decision-making has got better each time.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think it is likely that it is only how long the Delta variant takes to dominate in each country and in turn how big a problem it is will be directly correlated to vaccination rates. We really need to hit HIT of at all possible. Vaccine hesitancy can feck us yet.
U.K is currently very close to 80% for first doses with many many more young people ready and willing when called as seen with queues at major hubs in London at the weekend.

I personally think we'll hit low 90s %, second doses is just over 30m now so very close to 60% of those eligible who are now as protected as possible at this present time.

Allegedly at the time of first roll out in December and with some of the negative press headlines government here were thinking it would only be 75% or thereabouts take up.

Hopefully will be similar rates in all the other major countries. O.k it's not every single person in every single country but 90% + surely gives a decent fighting chance of keeping covid at arms length. Or do we still have to wait years for its impact to significantly lessen.

7.7% according to GISAID. Whose data is supplied to them by individual countries. Where are Italy contradicting that %?

In Ireland the 2.2% figure on GISAID exactly matches what is published in our local press.
Italy has been saying around 1% based on samples done up to 11th June, it was declining slightly in some areas but there have been outbreaks in a couple of towns this last few days.

I wouldn't trust the FT estimates or the sources they are pulling it from, simply because Italy hasn't been doing much sequencing until now. They have no way of knowing beyond statistical models and guesswork. 0.7% of positive tests are sequenced as of yesterday which makes any estimates fairly useless.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Italy has been saying around 1% based on samples done up to 11th June, it was declining slightly in some areas but there have been outbreaks in a couple of towns this last few days.

I wouldn't trust the FT estimates or the sources they are pulling it from, simply because Italy hasn't been doing much sequencing until now. They have no way of knowing beyond statistical models and guesswork. 0.7% of positive tests are sequenced as of yesterday which makes any estimates fairly useless.
For what it’s worth, since I posted that they’ve released the latest sampling results from Ireland and they were at 20%. Currently takes a week get the results so the true % probably even higher right now. It never really made sense for us to be so much lower than the Uk when the borders are so permeable.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Bollocks. Sydney well on the way to a new lockdown. We are up to 37 cases, mostly traced and isolating, but it is the Delta variant and is seems that it really is far more transmissible with people getting infected with the most fleeting of contacts with an infected person.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...085935857e0371#block-60d28bee8f085935857e0371
https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/new-covid-19-restrictions-for-greater-sydney-23-june-2021
Ive just had 3 days work in Wellington postponed because of our move to alert level 2. Our vaccination program has gone from everyone vaccinated by the end of August to by Xmas. Currently we have just 1/10th of the population with 2 doses done so we are well behind Europe and other countries. At some point we will have another lockdown of some form, thats inevitable, just hope this delta variant when it sneaks in is able to be suppressed like the original till we can catch up on the vaccination numbers. Good luck, hope they can catch it fast enough.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Ive just had 3 days work in Wellington postponed because of our move to alert level 2. Our vaccination program has gone from everyone vaccinated by the end of August to by Xmas. Currently we have just 1/10th of the population with 2 doses done so we are well behind Europe and other countries. At some point we will have another lockdown of some form, thats inevitable, just hope this delta variant when it sneaks in is able to be suppressed like the original till we can catch up on the vaccination numbers. Good luck, hope they can catch it fast enough.
I think #scottyfrommarketing has set a new target for AU of 50% to get their first shot before the heat death of the universe.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Why are they so slow with the roll-out, Wibs? Is he a Covid denier or something?
Incompetence. They bought vaccines with politics rather than health in mind. For example we didn't bother ordering any Modetna until last month. In their heads the envisaged a press conference with 12 huge Australian Flags behind them when they announced that the UNI of Queensland vaccine and the AU manufactured vaccine (AZ) would have us all full immunised by October.

UQ failed and AZ is now only for over 60's with a very limited supply of Pfizer for everyone else. They also gave big logistics companies huge contract for transporting vaccines but that has been bit of a shambles as the bit after transport wasn't at all well planned or coordinated. Laughably they have now made some retired General the face of logistics for no apparent reason or improvement. To stop stories of vaccine shortages they haven't sold getting vaccinated very hard and combined with mixed messages and bumbling with frequent changes to the ages to get AZ vaccine, hesitancy has risen hugely. And they now just refuse to even talk about vaccine supply.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Incompetence. They bought vaccines with politics rather than health in mind. For example we didn't bother ordering any Modetna until last month. In their heads the envisaged a press conference with 12 huge Australian Flags behind them when they announced that the UNI of Queensland vaccine and the AU manufactured vaccine (AZ) would have us all full immunised by October.

UQ failed and AZ is now only for over 60's with a very limited supply of Pfizer for everyone else. They also gave big logistics companies huge contract for transporting vaccines but that has been bit of a shambles as the bit after transport wasn't at all well planned or coordinated. Laughably they have now made some retired General the face of logistics for no apparent reason or improvement. To stop stories of vaccine shortages they haven't sold getting vaccinated very hard and combined with mixed messages and bumbling with frequent changes to the ages to get AZ vaccine, hesitancy has risen hugely. And they now just refuse to even talk about vaccine supply.
That's terrible. They don't have any excuse, it's not as if the pandemic has hit Australia hard. They had the time for upstream planning.

Interestingly Italy has also had a General co-ordinating the vaccine campaign, but he actually seems to be efficient. I wonder if Australia nicked the Italian model. He looks reassuring sitting behind a desk in his uniform, it's partly psychology I think.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That's terrible. They don't have any excuse, it's not as if the pandemic has hit Australia hard. They had the time for upstream planning.
They couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. The State governments have gone a great job as best they can handicapped by the idiots at the Federal level.

He looks reassuring sitting behind a desk in his uniform, it's partly psychology I think.
Wholly psychological in our case as I'm not sure if he actually has to do anything other than wear his old uniform.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

This could be major plot twist on SARS-CoV-2 origin story. I wish I knew enough about genetics to understand it better :(

@berbatrick?
not got sleep all night so i skimmed it. the analysis seems simple enough, the deletion very suspicious.
i also skimmed the paper where the sequences were initially reported: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/smll.202002169

interestingly the (old, chinese) paper (cited as wang 2020b in the preprint) also discusses the mutation T28144C talked about in the preprint ... and the chinese paper reports:

Among the 28 nonsynonymous mutations, T28144C (Leu→Ser) occurred eight times, G28077C (Val→Leu) occurred two times, and the remaining nonsynonymous mutations were observed only once. Tang et al. (2020) have found that SARS-CoV-2 genomes evolved into two major types (designated L and S) that are well defined by two different SNPs at position 8782 (T8782C, synonymous) and 28144 (T28144C, Leu→Ser).[37] Based on the classification of 50 NTS positive samples (Experimental Section), 31 samples had a ≥10× depth at position 28144 (Table S5, Supporting Information), of which 22 (71.0%) were classified as L type, 8 (25.8%) were classified as S type, and one (3.2%) was uncertain (Figure 7c). These results were consistent with those previously reported,[37] which indicated that the L type was more prevalent in the early stages of the outbreak in Wuhan.
By contrast, it seems the new preprint says that it (the T28144C, or "S type" is present 6 of 13 samples (Table 1), reversing their relative abundance.

So uhhh i don't know what's up. i think the new pre-print is using a less strict criteria to include or exclude sequences. but table 1 also has fewer total sequences analysed compared to the old paper's table 1, though less stringency should give more samples.

i'll probably need some time and properly awake thinking to figure out what's going on. i suspect it's either that the chinese paper includes a mix of samples from different places analysed together and the new one chooses what it sees the most relevant. or that the new one's different cutoffs have led to changes in the result.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
not got sleep all night so i skimmed it. the analysis seems simple enough, the deletion very suspicious.
i also skimmed the paper where the sequences were initially reported: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/smll.202002169

interestingly the (old, chinese) paper (cited as wang 2020b in the preprint) also discusses the mutation T28144C talked about in the preprint ... and the chinese paper reports:

By contrast, it seems the new preprint says that it (the T28144C, or "S type" is present 6 of 13 samples (Table 1), reversing their relative abundance.

So uhhh i don't know what's up. i think the new pre-print is using a less strict criteria to include or exclude sequences. but table 1 also has fewer total sequences analysed compared to the old paper's table 1, though less stringency should give more samples.

i'll probably need some time and properly awake thinking to figure out what's going on. i suspect it's either that the chinese paper includes a mix of samples from different places analysed together and the new one chooses what it sees the most relevant. or that the new one's less different cutoffs have led to changes in the result.
That’s a very impressive review in a short space of time on not much sleep! Thanks.

Shark

@NotShark
Apparently a delta "plus" variant now in India and parts of Europe. You wonder if this will ever end.

massi83

@massi83

This was what I was getting at with my comment re a surge of delta variant cases in Russia during the Euros. Might be misremembering but don’t you live in Finland?
They made a mistake at the border and for some reason only had 4 people working there. However we are very good at following rules. So, most people will isolate for 72h and then have a test. It is hardly a disaster. The person making the tweet is an idiot.

I went to Copenhagen as I knew how much delta there was and didn't go to Russia.

Do I think it is a little selfish to go to Russia, yes. Is it a big disaster, no.

Helsinki area was already at 30% anyways.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They made a mistake at the border and for some reason only had 4 people working there. However we are very good at following rules. So, most people will isolate for 72h and then have a test. It is hardly a disaster. The person making the tweet is an idiot.

I went to Copenhagen as I knew how much delta there was and didn't go to Russia.

Do I think it is a little selfish to go to Russia, yes. Is it a big disaster, no.

Helsinki area was already at 30% anyways.
He’s far from an idiot. He’s the head of the institute tracking variants in the UK. He’s also one of most consistently balanced and pragmatic commentators on these new variants you’ll find on Twitter. Have a look through his feed. It’s the exact opposite of hysterical.

massi83

He’s far from an idiot. He’s the head of the institute tracking variants in the UK. He’s also one of most consistently balanced and pragmatic commentators on these new variants you’ll find on Twitter.
The wording of the tweet clearly makes him an idiot. I know nothing else about him.

massi83

Well you know more about him now. Which you could easily have discovered for yourself by clicking on his profile. Nothing in the wording of his tweet makes him an idiot. Unless you confuse the word “could” with “will”.
The change is literally zero. So it could not be disaster. Ok, his tweet is idiotic and he is very knowledgelable man otherwise :)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The change is literally zero. So it could not be disaster. Ok, his tweet is idiotic and he is very knowledgelable man otherwise :)
The risk is that same slightly selfish fans who chose to travel to Russia might also be selfish enough to decide they don’t need adhere to the 72 hours self-quarantine. Which could potentially see this much more transmissible new variant seeding multiple new outbreaks all over the country, almost simultaneously.

Then we get into a debate about what “disaster” means. I note that you’re quite bullish about the delta variant not being a major issue in the weeks/months ahead due to vaccines. My personal opinion is that there’s a pretty fine balance between continued reopening as planned vs possible lengthy delays or even reversals, with hospitals up to their knees in covid again at the expense of routine care. And I would consider the latter a “disaster” after all the shit we’ve already endured.

massi83

The risk is that same slightly selfish fans who chose to travel to Russia might also be selfish enough to decide they don’t need adhere to the 72 hours self-quarantine. Which could see this much more transmissible new variant seeded all over the country, almost simultaneously.

Then we get into a debate about what “disaster” means. I note that you’re quite bullish about the delta variant not being a major issue in the weeks/months ahead due to vaccines. My personal opinion is that there’s a pretty fine balance between continued reopening as planned vs possible lengthy delays or even reversals, with hospitals up to their knees in covid again at the expense of routine care. And I would consider the latter a “disaster” after all the shit we’ve already endured.
So, it was couple of hundred people. Over 90% of them will do the test. That leaves let's say 50 people, maybe 10% of them are positive. So 5 extra cases.

But Finland hasn't really endured those things. Most we had in hospital was less than 300. And there is no reason to think we won't continue to manage this better than most European countries.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Big jump in cases in the UK today (+16,000), and deaths doubled from last Wednesday.

Things seem to be accelerating over the last couple of days it seems.