SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

0le

policy is now moving away from encouraging people to overcome doubts and get the vaccine, its becoming about making sure the hardline anti-vaxxers can't be in a position to compromise other people as we get back to normal life.
So once again, you fail to address any of the issues raised.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
For what it's worth there has been virtually no opposition to the extended Covid Pass in Italy, a country where ignoring rules is seen as a national sport. Everybody realises it's for the societal good.
In a democracy, a referendum for this type of measures should be organised... Not sure if "everybody" will vote yes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’ve no idea what that’s a photograph of but it isn’t a “brand new covid detention centre”. There does seem to be plans for something along those lines in Victoria but they’ve only just started digging.

Is sharing fake news a thread bannable offence?

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I’ve no idea what that’s a photograph of but it isn’t a “covid detention centre”. There does seem to be plans for something along those lines in Victoria but they’ve only just started digging.

Even if it's not I think an exception should be made in this case.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Ah right, so no one can critique the policy without you thinking they have extreme views. This is despite the fact that you have yet to raise any counter-arguments to the issues raised. Honestly, that sort of mindset is no different to the very people that you mock.
You are absolutely right.

Let's say there are two type of extremists
(1) those who believe Covid does not exist, and
(2) those obsessed with the restriction of fundamental freedoms including the freedom of thought

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I’ve no idea what that’s a photograph of but it isn’t a “covid detention centre”. There does seem to be plans for something along those lines in Victoria but they’ve only just started digging.

Even if it's not I think an exception should be made in this case.
I am also perfectly fine.

Looks like you struggle with people who do not share your views :)

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I am also perfectly fine.

Looks like you struggle with people who do not share your views :)
If your views are comparisons between the Covid pandemic and Nazi Germany then you should feck off to be fair.

In a democracy, a referendum for this type of measures should be organised... Not sure if "everybody" will vote yes.
A referendum would take years, time which we do not have. The fact is we vote in governments to make these tough, time sensitive decisions for us. If we don't like what they do we vote them out.

At the moment the Covid Pass is proving a big vote winner and it's only increasing. 74% fully support it, up from 49% when it was first announced, and 63% think vaccination should be mandatory.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel...inated=true&language=en-US&affiliateId=airbnb

stick your dates in and it’ll give you a fair idea. Things are subject to change though so check closer to your travel date to ensure nothing has changed
Travelers staying in the UK for less than 2 or 8 days are still required to book the tests, even if they will no longer be in the UK on the dates of the tests. They only need to take the tests if they’re still in the country on those dates.
I'll be in Manchester from Friday noon till Sunday noon (end of October), so I'll definitely need to book and pay for a Day 2 test but if I set my timing at Day 2 in the afternoon, I don't have to actually take the tests?

(Don't see what's the point either way since I'll be home before I get the results but don't wanna be fined afterwards or something like that)

0le

Earlier in the day:
For what it's worth there has been virtually no opposition to the extended Covid Pass in Italy.... but when those who think its a bad policy also think the earth is flat and George Bush blew up the twin towers, you're on safer ground.
Later in the day:
At the moment the Covid Pass is proving a big vote winner and it's only increasing. 74% fully support it [in Italy], up from 49% when it was first announced,
So not only were the original claims exaggerated but at one point, they may have thought that 1 in 2 people believed the Earth was flat. :rolleyes:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'll be in Manchester from Friday noon till Sunday noon (end of October), so I'll definitely need to book and pay for a Day 2 test but if I set my timing at Day 2 in the afternoon, I don't have to actually take the tests?

(Don't see what's the point either way since I'll be home before I get the results but don't wanna be fined afterwards or something like that)
Personally I don’t think they’ll chase you for that

also I think I read that rules are due to change again in October so keep an eye out

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Personally I don’t think they’ll chase you for that

also I think I read that rules are due to change again in October so keep an eye out
Cheers. I thought the rules were indeed changing as from October 4th (e.g. I don't need a pre-departure PCR test anymore).

Just don't want it to be more of a hassle than what's necessary but we'll see how it goes. Personally feel like a pre-departure PCR might even be more useful than a Day 2 test in England when I could have infected dozens of people in pubs/stadium/plane.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Somewhat frequent reminder that it would be great if everyone stopped lining the pockets of people profiting off Covid.

I’ve used Testing For All a bunch. They’re not for profit.

Testing For All

Earlier in the day:

Later in the day:

So not only were the original claims exaggerated but at one point, they may have thought that 1 in 2 people believed the Earth was flat. :rolleyes:
I think you need to learn the difference between 'fully support' and 'oppose'. 74% fully support does not mean 26% oppose.

0le

I think you need to learn the difference between 'fully support' and 'oppose'. 74% fully support does not mean 26% oppose.
The fact is, 26% did not support it, which makes your earlier comment that there was "virtually no opposition" completely inaccurate.

What you call a strict lickdown in italy is a breeze compared with the lockdown type in wuhan. Also the control type with subsequent outbreaks.

More astringent, people following the rules more and way way way more resources dumped on tracking in an astonishing fast reaction than any other country in the world could ever dream off
Nope. This myth has been dispelled so can we stop going round in circles about it. The first lockdown in Italy was on paper and in practice just as strict as the one in wuhan.

Also the lockdown in China was only in Wuhan and a few other areas, how comes the virus didn’t , apparently, effect other more important parts of China eg Beijing and Shanghai etc, “astonishing fast reaction”? they denied the bloody thing existed for a month or two and even imprisoned Dr’s that tried to warn people.

Whether the majority supports something or not is no indication of whether it is a good policy. For example, in the UK, ~50% of people supported Brexit in the referendum which has to date, caused nothing but problems.
Off topic… but I can’t help but think the recent announcement about being allowed to shop in “pounds and announces” metrics was the government having a laugh at the brexiters it duped.

djembatheking

What you call a strict lickdown in italy is a breeze compared with the lockdown type in wuhan. Also the control type with subsequent outbreaks.

More astringent, people following the rules more and way way way more resources dumped on tracking in an astonishing fast reaction than any other country in the world could ever dream off
That`s one way of cleaning up the virus.

The fact is, 26% did not support it, which makes your earlier comment that there was "virtually no opposition" completely inaccurate.
No, there were other categories including supporting it with conditions and 'unknown'.

There are around 10-15% against it. To put that into context, nearly 10% of Americans think they could beat a gorilla in a fight.

Irwin99

Figures seem to be at a pretty consistent level in the UK in terms of cases (200 deaths is still grim reading though).

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Figures seem to be at a pretty consistent level in the UK in terms of cases (200 deaths is still grim reading though).
Day on day stats don't really work. Not every region (or nation) report every day, so they're bumpy.

It's looks like we hit about 140/day (around 1000/week) a couple of weeks back and now they're expected to starting to fall again as hospitalisations fall.

By far the most widespread piece of misinformation still circulating is the "Vaccines do nothing to prevent infection" or "Vaccines have absolutely no effect in limiting transmission". I see it non-stop, always presented as a statement of fact, and often from people who are otherwise pro-vaccine.

If people genuinely believe this - and seemingly a big chunk of the population do - then it becomes much harder to make an argument to healthy people in their 20s, or similar, to get vaccinated.

Really needs a proper messaging campaign from the government/media.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
By far the most widespread piece of misinformation still circulating is the "Vaccines do nothing to prevent infection" or "Vaccines have absolutely no effect in limiting transmission". I see it non-stop, always presented as a statement of fact, and often from people who are otherwise pro-vaccine.

If people genuinely believe this - and seemingly a big chunk of the population do - then it becomes much harder to make an argument to healthy people in their 20s, or similar, to get vaccinated.

It’s fecking maddening. And pops up with depressing regularity in this very thread (as well as any other thread which mentions covid) It’s so incredibly dumb too. This idea that unless a vaccine prevents all breakthrough infections then it serves no purpose. So hard to understand why such a stupid idea gets so deeply rooted.

All people have to do is look at infections and daily deaths now Vs when infections were last similar (I think around Jan) but deaths were almost 10 times higher. Also at that time though law and through choice things were not as open as now, even in between lockdowns and many people made the personal choice to avoid social contact and going out. It’s clear the vaccines reduce infections, hospitalisations, and deaths.

All there if people type “U.K. COVID19” and do a bit of analysis and critical thinking.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Costs £48 per Day 2 test?
Yes. If another not for Profit has came in and undercut that, I’ll happily plug them. The ground moves pretty fast underneath this stuff so I could already be out of date versus a month ago.

I assumed we still have a Day 2 PCR test in the UK now?…..

Tony Babangida

That’s the Howard Springs quarantine center in the Northern Territory. It’s used to house people returning from overseas for two week quarantine. Comparing it to a concentration camp is disgusting to be honest. That Twitter account is full of misinformation.

When a minority of people oppose or support something I wonder are they, in this instances figure , in the top 26% of intelligence or are they in the bottom 26% of intelligence, do you have any information about the socio-economic background of the majority of the 26% ?

Because obviously there are a minority of highly intelligent people that throughout their lives see things that others don’t and this will usually reflect in their life success and on the flip side I’m sure with the right viral, pardon the pun, spread 10-20% of people will believe that “ Ghandi told us the Internet was the future”

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Nope. This myth has been dispelled so can we stop going round in circles about it. The first lockdown in Italy was on paper and in practice just as strict as the one in wuhan.

Also the lockdown in China was only in Wuhan and a few other areas, how comes the virus didn’t , apparently, effect other more important parts of China eg Beijing and Shanghai etc, “astonishing fast reaction”? they denied the bloody thing existed for a month or two and even imprisoned Dr’s that tried to warn people.
No. It has not. Italy didn't didn't create apps to control individual movement and having the police tracking individuals constantly. Barricades and grassroots volunteers making sure no one escape the lockdown for what strictly was necessary and believe me, they had no other choice than to comply. while the strictest lockdowns in europe, Italy and Spain, they were walking the dog 4 times a day (when before Covid probably 2), groceries everyday (before covid once a week) and going to do sport everyday (some never did) bending the rules.

On paper strick lockdowns. Reality, in europe/america finding loopholes and NO ONE WILL TAKE MY FREEDOM! and in China had tools of control that would attempt ith civil liberties and a population that complied or was made to comply yes or yes.