SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

roseguy64

So 2 years of kicking the can down the street is coming to an end soon here in NZ. Omicron has snuck into the community, at this point just a couple of cases which we all have no doubt will take off quickly. the modelling is suggesting anywhere between 1000 to 10,000 case per day, some of it based on what we have seen with our friends in Aussie and also other countries with similar populations. Kids from 6 to 12 are able to be vaccinated if their parents choose and the push to get booster shots rolled out is in full swing. The modelling is also suggesting that we wont get down to 100 to 300 cases per day until about Sept once it kicks in here. People here are ready, fingers crossed our hospital system is. Sadly 30 or so years of various govts have left our health system lacking, we are by most estimates 2 hospitals short (which is a lot for a small country like ours) so this coming year is really going to stress our system.
You have a good vaccination rate though so you should be fine.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It doesn't seem sustainable. Having Covid jabs alongside flu shots annually seems like a likely scenario assuming new variants keep coming up.
That is keeping being jabbed forever.

And new dominant variants will, at the least, arise less frequently as the world gets vaccinated and because any new dominant variant will have to be more infectious than the last.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
most restrictions is basically where we were before.

It’s not enough. All restrictions should be removed. We will never be in a better position than we are right now. Without an end to restrictions we risk a perennial lifecycle of them adding them yearly whenever our shite health service comes under pressure.
"The advice does suggest that mask-wearing, isolation for symptomatic cases, and Covid passes for international travel will remain in place "

We've no say on passes for international travel, we're falling in line with the EU on that. Symptomatic cases isolating is how any virus should be handled anyway, but we all love a pint too much.

So it comes down to masks, are they really that big of a deal to people? Honestly don't think I'd have any issue come flu/cold season being asked to mask up for a few month over Christmas.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
"The advice does suggest that mask-wearing, isolation for symptomatic cases, and Covid passes for international travel will remain in place "

We've no say on passes for international travel, we're falling in line with the EU on that. Symptomatic cases isolating is how any virus should be handled anyway, but we all love a pint too much.

So it comes down to masks, are they really that big of a deal to people? Honestly don't think I'd have any issue come flu/cold season being asked to mask up for a few month over Christmas.
That's NPHET's advice, not necessarily what the government will do straight away. We paid the price last summer for their stupidly slow easing of restrictions, let's hope it's not the same now. We're in an amazing position now, just open everything up. I agree masks aren't a big deal, by the way, no problem wearing them in shops etc. for the foreseeable.

The journos seem a bit more confident today than yesterday that they'll go for a sweeping end to restrictions rather than the usual phased approach, though, which is good. https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0121/1274965-covid-restrictions/

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
That's NPHET's advice, not necessarily what the government will do straight away. We paid the price last summer for their stupidly slow easing of restrictions, let's hope it's not the same now. We're in an amazing position now, just open everything up. I agree masks aren't a big deal, by the way, no problem wearing them in shops etc. for the foreseeable.

The journos seem a bit more confident today than yesterday that they'll go for a sweeping end to restrictions rather than the usual phased approach, though, which is good. https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0121/1274965-covid-restrictions/
Ah I get ya, misunderstood your angle. Yeah, up to the gov now to just say, lets go for it.

Conor

So 2 years of kicking the can down the street is coming to an end soon here in NZ. Omicron has snuck into the community, at this point just a couple of cases which we all have no doubt will take off quickly. the modelling is suggesting anywhere between 1000 to 10,000 case per day, some of it based on what we have seen with our friends in Aussie and also other countries with similar populations. Kids from 6 to 12 are able to be vaccinated if their parents choose and the push to get booster shots rolled out is in full swing. The modelling is also suggesting that we wont get down to 100 to 300 cases per day until about Sept once it kicks in here. People here are ready, fingers crossed our hospital system is. Sadly 30 or so years of various govts have left our health system lacking, we are by most estimates 2 hospitals short (which is a lot for a small country like ours) so this coming year is really going to stress our system.
You say kicking the can down the street, but in reality what you've done is manage to avoid the nastiest variants of the virus. If your population all get omicron while being heavily vaccinated, you're going to see far better outcomes than the rest of the world, probably.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
You say kicking the can down the street, but in reality what you've done is manage to avoid the nastiest variants of the virus. If your population all get omicron while being heavily vaccinated, you're going to see far better outcomes than the rest of the world, probably.
I think you're right.

The tough issue is that Omicron spreads so fast, and so widely, that it will hospitalise and kill a lot of people - in a country where only 50 or so have died so far. It's going to be hard on people, not just on those whose friends/families suffer directly, but others who will see the deaths as failure, but hopefully they're ready for it.

Hopefully they've also prepared their most vulnerable people with the best weapons they've got - boosters. If they can back that up with making testing readily available and the right warnings to the most vulnerable, which might include staying away from crowded places and indoor activities until this first wave passes - they'll have done a lot.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How long do people think we will have to wear masks? Will they stay forever given this will always be around like the flu.
I would hope that people use a bit of sense when they are travelling on public transport and have a cold/cough that they use them then. That would be a good thing to come out off it. A bit of respect for others

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

It's a choice every country will have to go through. I think we're going to see debate raging across Europe over the next few months on vaccine passports and vaccine mandates in particular. I hope we'll see some of the political heat come out of that as time goes on, it's easy for the science and the public health message to drown in the rhetoric.

Fortunately Ireland has very high vaccination rates, particularly in the older and more vulnerable groups. I think this is the phase where it's going to be about people looking at their own risks and those around them, and deciding if that means it's back to business as usual for them. Fingers crossed we make the right choices for ourselves and each other.

Smores

I would hope that people use a bit of sense when they are travelling on public transport and have a cold/cough that they use them then. That would be a good thing to come out off it. A bit of respect for others
No chance of that happening unfortunately. It's such an obvious benefit but it just doesn't fit in with the Western mind frame.

Massive Spanner

It's a choice every country will have to go through. I think we're going to see debate raging across Europe over the next few months on vaccine passports and vaccine mandates in particular. I hope we'll see some of the political heat come out of that as time goes on, it's easy for the science and the public health message to drown in the rhetoric.

Fortunately Ireland has very high vaccination rates, particularly in the older and more vulnerable groups. I think this is the phase where it's going to be about people looking at their own risks and those around them, and deciding if that means it's back to business as usual for them. Fingers crossed we make the right choices for ourselves and each other.
Yeah all very good points.

I think it’s a mix of people being sensible and also businesses. If hospitality just goes completely loosey goosey again without adhering to mask advice and some distancing and such that will be an issue. Likewise if when WFH restrictions go, employers start forcing people back into offices who might not need to be there etc.

I guess at some point you have to trust people and we are a country with an insanely high vaccination rate who haven’t had any rioting during our restrictions so you’d hope we have a bit of sense!

Conor

They should have mask dispensers at public transport stations and the likes going forward.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Overall I'd say I'm fairly gucci with masking up, definitely on public transport anyway.

And this is as someone who wears glasses and looks like a complete dweeb every time I enter a building and my glassies fog up.

If you're a non-glasses wearing person then I can't imagine what your issue would be at all.

Massive Spanner

Overall I'd say I'm fairly gucci with masking up, definitely on public transport anyway.

And this is as someone who wears glasses and looks like a complete dweeb every time I enter a building and my glassies fog up.

If you're a non-glasses wearing person then I can't imagine what your issue would be at all.
Yeah it's a pain in the hole with glasses, people without them just don't know our pain. Thankfully my eyesight isn't too bad so I can cope without the glasses on for the most part but feck knows how anyone who needs to keep them on can see a thing!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I pretty much intend wearing mine for a good while.

golden_blunder

Staff
Yeah it's a pain in the hole with glasses, people without them just don't know our pain. Thankfully my eyesight isn't too bad so I can cope without the glasses on for the most part but feck knows how anyone who needs to keep them on can see a thing!
I started wearing new Man Utd masks I got for Christmas. Unfortunately they steam up more than the ones I used to wear. I’m at the stage now where I need to wear my glasses all the time, my eyesight is awful

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I started wearing new Man Utd masks I got for Christmas. Unfortunately they steam up more than the ones I used to wear. I’m at the stage now where I need to wear my glasses all the time, my eyesight is awful
I use a silicon "cage" under my masks. At first it was a bit annoying but now I am used to it I hate using a mask without it. I still get some fogging rarely from time to time but its easily dealt with. This sort of thing. https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Homemade-Comfortable-Breathing-Washable/dp/B08931ZQZC

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Maybe just wear it when you're playing?

golden_blunder

Staff

acnumber9

I don’t know, sometimes it’s nice to be able to see people’s faces. I look forward to the day we don’t need them.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Actually did try something like that and they didn’t work for us previously. Have also tried sprays that are supposedly anti-fog
Bugger. We all have different shaped faces so finding the right solution can be hard. Get someone to smash your nose in and give the cage thing another go.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
The missus tested positive on Saturday, still positive as of today. We haven't isolated her in the house, being somewhat cautious of hand hygiene, only change to anything is that we we aren't kissing essentially. I'm still negative.

Am I invincible?

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
The missus tested positive on Saturday, still positive as of today. We haven't isolated her in the house, being somewhat cautious of hand hygiene, only change to anything is that we we aren't kissing essentially. I'm still negative.

Am I invincible?
I can one up you on that. My ex had it last year and we didn't even bother separating in any way whatsoever since we were in a small flat and I didn't get it.

Had it twice in the last 4 months though, oops.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
I can one up you on that. My ex had it last year and we didn't even bother separating in any way whatsoever since we were in a small flat and I didn't get it.

Had it twice in the last 4 months though, oops.
Ah bollox. Not invincible so.

Massive Spanner

How the hell did we in Ireland switch from the mooted possibility of mandatory vaccines a week ago from NPHET to all restrictions gone today?!
Cause about 10% of our population were getting it every week and it still didn’t put a dent in our crappy health service. The surge in hospitalisations and ICUs that was predicted never happened, basically.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How the hell did we in Ireland switch from the mooted possibility of mandatory vaccines a week ago from NPHET to all restrictions gone today?!
Cause about 10% of our population were getting it every week and it still didn’t put a dent in our crappy health service. The surge in hospitalisations and ICUs that was predicted never happened, basically.
I also think they’re being quite clever in actively hoping an absolute shit load of people catch omicron in February/March. The usual winter pressure on hospitals tends to ease off a bit after January and we now know that omicron is sufficiently mild (in a population as vaccinated as ours) that we can let it rip fairly safely. Which will give our population a nice immunity boost before the next covid wave (if there is another covid wave) To be honest, I think they should ditch masks too.

Massive Spanner

I also think they’re being quite clever in actively hoping an absolute shit load of people catch omicron in February/March. The usual winter pressure on hospitals tends to ease off a bit after January and we now know that omicron is sufficiently mild (in a population as vaccinated as ours) that we can let it rip fairly safely. Which will give our population a nice immunity boost before the next covid wave (if there is another covid wave) To be honest, I think they should ditch masks too.
Who even are you anymore?

i would probably agree but as someone who hasn’t had Covid I’m also feeling a bit selfish and thinking feck that, it’s not much hassle for people and I don’t want to get it in the supermarket! It’s just til the end of February anyway as far as I’m aware right?

I also feel like a lot of people will still wear masks after. Seemingly a lot did in the UK.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Am I invincible?

You still kiss ?

Massive Spanner

At this stage I’m desperate to catch the fecking thing so I can recover in time for my snowboarding holiday in February. May need to start licking faces.

@Big-Red Any chance you could pimp out your other half?
I’m hoping I already did and my amazing immune system that has never had a flu said feck off to it.

Am I invincible?
I'm in the same boat. She tested positive Monday after spending the weekend coughing in my face. I'm still negative.

Either the booster works or I've got it and nothing showing up on an antigen test.