SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I went to the supermarket earlier with a face mask on. I'm not going to be the only person adhering to guidelines. feck em
As someone who has spent a week indoors with two teenagers and 9 month old dog, I can assure had you followed the guidelines you wouldn't have been the only one.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
How are you feeling? I had two days where I felt like it was in a car crash.
Extremely fatigued, achy all over. Bit grisly in my chest and nose and feel like I'm constantly on a the cusp of a fever that doesn't progress. I'm also craving salt and vinegar crisps and peanut butter on toast( separately ).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was contacted to take part in a trial of an unnamed protein based covid vaccine (Novovax is a protein based vaccine I brlieve) that has been adapted for omicron. The study wants to look at how the new vaccine works with people who have already had 2 or 3 shots of an mRNA vaccine. I couldn't take part as my first two were AZ. Interesting though.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What are we boosting against? Boosting a vaccine not built for latest variant, pointless
Huh? A third shot of anything seems to give a much better protection from Omicron than just 2 shots. There is some reduction in infectiousness and a big reduction in disease severity.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Huh? A third shot of anything seems to give a much better protection from Omicron than just 2 shots. There is some reduction in infectiousness and a big reduction in disease severity.
Its 7 months since I had my 3rd shot, covid has put me on my back for a week, rarely have I felt so dreadful in my entire life and this is the mild version. I really wonder how well we are all protected having had the booster so long ago. I wonder how different it would have been had I not been vaccinated at all. I really am surprised at how bad I felt and still need to sleep during the day.

Dan_F

Its 7 months since I had my 3rd shot, covid has put me on my back for a week, rarely have I felt so dreadful in my entire life and this is the mild version. I really wonder how well we are all protected having had the booster so long ago. I wonder how different it would have been had I not been vaccinated at all. I really am surprised at how bad I felt and still need to sleep during the day.
Surely you only need to see the death rates for proof of the effectiveness of the vaccines? You don’t think it’s likely that catching it without three shots would have been even worse for you?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You have mild covid, by definition. You don’t need oxygen, you’re not in hospital. The main reason to vaccinate/boost is to stop people getting severe covid. You’re an example of someone who didn’t get severe covid.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You have mild covid, by definition. You don’t need oxygen, you’re not in hospital. The main reason to vaccinate/boost is to stop people getting severe covid. You’re an example of someone who didn’t get severe covid.
His point is, he knows it’s mild and he wonders how bad it much worse it would have been had he not received all his shots.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Surely you only need to see the death rates for proof of the effectiveness of the vaccines? You don’t think it’s likely that catching it without three shots would have been even worse for you?
Figures are not published as headline news anymore but I have read they are increasing dramatically. I can't say what level of protection I have after all this time. My Mrs is a nurse and was boosttered months before me, she is also in bad shape.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Ok but this variant should be milder right? I cannot compare my symptoms to a non vaccinated person obviously as I don't know anyone that hasn't been vaccinated and subsequently caught it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ok but this variant should be milder right? I cannot compare my symptoms to a non vaccinated person obviously as I don't know anyone that hasn't been vaccinated and subsequently caught it.
And that’s why we’re managing to ride out this wave with no masks or social distancing without filling up our ICUs.

If you want to see what “mild” omicron does to a population with low vaccination rates look at Hong Kong, where a hell of a lot of people ended up ventilated or dead.

There’s huge individual variation anyway. I was boosted in December and caught Covid in April. I barely even noticed it. The mildest of sniffly noses and that was it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
As it is a while since your booster you probably wouldn't have a significant number of antibodies but your memory cells will have kicked in to start producing them much faster. So you will likely get protection from serious symptoms (hospitalise/ICU) but it is probable that you will still have a period of not feeling well until the memory cells do their work. 3 does seem to give far better protection against Omicron than 2 with 80% protection against severe disease. Hopefully this will get better of we get Omicron tweaked versions of vaccines for boosters.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Acole9

Outstanding
Tested positive this morning. Done well to avoid it for this long I guess. My Mrs tested positive on Saturday but she seems to be on the mend. Our three month old was feeling ill for a couple of days but thankfully she seems a lot better now.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Do you not have to isolate in your country anymore?
Don't know where he lives but Poland has no isolation anymore. If you somehow test positive for any reason (getting tested is not advised), nothing happens.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’m just getting over it now. 12 days I was positive.

I felt absolutely dreadful and so tired. I can’t even begin to imagine how bad I would have felt if I wasn’t triple jabbed.

I lost my 63 year old uncle to it last week. Poor sod caught it in hospital during knee surgery, had to be ventilated and never recovered.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Meanwhile in ireland

https://www.thejournal.ie/gemma-odoherty-supreme-court-covid-appeal-dismissed-5808188-Jul2022/

He said that the measures, such as the lockdown, brought in over a pandemic he did not believe existed had fundamentally and impermissibly breach fundamental constitutional rights that he and other citizens enjoy.
Ms O’Doherty had argued that the measures were taken over a virus that was “no different to the common cold”.
They should be put in stocks and have covid patients cough in their faces

Woodzy

I got it last week and kinda glad as it was just a mild cold this time round comapred to what I had at Christmas. Just feels like i've got the invetible out of the way now and should hopefully have a nice covid free run for the summer months while i'm swimming in antibodies.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
So I had to do an open day at the weekend and today just had to leave work because my throat basically seized up over lunchtime.

Dare I say that after 2 years the dreaded novel coronavirus sars-cov-2 might have finally got me :(

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What kind of tests can they do to see if you have long covid? Me and my wife are both healthy and active people but since we had covid in December we are more susceptible to colds / feel drained far more regularly than we usually would from exercise and activities. It feels like my body is constantly aching in one way or another.

sugar_kane

On day 4/5 of this thing now, the coughing has largely subsided but got a fairly horrible headache today. All in all I feel very similar to how I felt post vaccine but over a longer period. Hoping it subsides soon.

Balljy

What kind of tests can they do to see if you have long covid? Me and my wife are both healthy and active people but since we had covid in December we are more susceptible to colds / feel drained far more regularly than we usually would from exercise and activities. It feels like my body is constantly aching in one way or another.
There's no specific tests as long covid is something that is a headline for a lot of symptoms but some of them can be checked. I had lung issues caused by covid which persisted for a fair while (over a year) and could be seen on scans I had. The diagnosis was specific to the problem, but goes under the banner of long covid as it was initially caused by the virus.

General fatigue for months can happen with a lot of viruses and I suspect you're less likely to get a diagnosis if it's not something that would show on scans / blood tests. The doctor was really good with me though and I got referred, they found why I was having issues so it's worth a visit to the them just in case.

Long-term effects of coronavirus (long COVID) - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Acole9

Outstanding
Mine has gone from aches to more like a cold but with a bit of a temperature too.

I ached so much yesterday that I could barely get out of bed.

Adamsk7

So far me and my partner have just had extreme tiredness, although she has had a bit of a sore throat the last couple of days. The tiredness though is crazy, like I literally feel like none of my limbs belong on my body and my eyes and mind are just incredibly foggy. I’d managed to work from home the last couple of days but today I’ve tapped out and am just resting in bed. I’d love to get some fresh air in the field behind my house (minimal people) but I doubt I’ll have the strength for that.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It's been 9 days since I got my first symptoms. I had a rough 3 or 4 days. Lingering cough now and I'm sleeping 10 hours and any activity has me floored.

Acole9

Outstanding
Yesterday was by far the worst day so far, everything ached, extremely tired, sore throat and cough. Stayed in bed the entire day. Today a slight sore throat, bit of a foggy head so hopefully over the worst of it. I'm so bored being stuck indoors but on the other hand two days I never would've been able to go out even if I wanted to.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
And having dodged it for two years - it finally caught up with me.

Two doses of Novavax back in December 2020. Two doses of Pfizer in November 2021.

Probably caught on my way back from Spain.

First symptom fatigue, that I just blamed on the travel. Then muscle aches choosing random targets around my body. Followed by sneezing and blocked/runny nose. Solid positive on covid LFT.

Fortunately I didn't go out between first symptoms and test so I don't have to feel guilty about giving it to friends, family or even strangers. Looks like I have given it to my partner though.