SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Tibs

Had that cold/flu illness with a mad cough for a few days...keep getting random coughing fits that are pretty violent, but thankfully, and slowly, I'm getting better.

Since

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Me and my son (aged 4) tested positive for covid today - I'm pretty much fine but he's in bed with a high temperature, lethargic etc.... Fingers crossed it all passes for him soon. We've also a newborn in the house but he seems fine.

Now, my wife was planning to have her sister and a friend round for dinner this evening and wait for this- I'm getting hassle because this has ruined their plans and that I basically shouldn't have bothered testing.... Her sister is also a healthcare worker and it's most likely in their house too but they aren't testing because they don't want it to disrupt any Christmas plans....

Great start to the holidays round here
You’ve done the right thing

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Italy has become the first country in Europe to make it obligatory for people arriving from China to be tested for Covid-19 following Beijing moving to reopen its borders after lifting some of its toughest anti-Covid restrictions.

Italy has already been monitoring swab tests at Rome’s Fiumicino airport and Milan’s Malpensa airport, where on Monday one in two passengers arriving on flights from China who undertook non-mandatory tests were found to be positive for coronavirus.

The WHO director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has called on China to share data and conduct relevant studies to help the world understand which Covid variants are circulating. Dwyer said data was crucial because in countries where Covid-19 is out of control, the sheer number of people infected makes it more likely that there will be a rare event that leads to changes in the virus, potentially creating a new variant of concern.

Prolonged lockdowns in China also mean a significant proportion of the population have not been infected with newer variants, and the Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines China has relied on appear less effective than mRNA vaccines used elsewhere.

“That is the environment where you’d expect new variants to appear,” Dwyer said. “So therefore monitoring people returning from China who are sick is going to be important. We don’t know … whether those variants [in China] are any different to what we’ve seen elsewhere.”

China’s decision to resume issuing passports for the first time in almost three years could allow large numbers of Chinese tourists to travel abroad for next month’s lunar new year holiday. Travel services companies Trip.com and Qunar said international ticket bookings and searches for visa information on their websites rose five to eight times after Tuesday’s announcement, with top destinations including Japan, Thailand, South Korea, the United States, Britain and Australia.
What could possibly go wrong?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Does it even matter when Europe is already saturated with the virus?
I don’t think so.

Although I presume the concerns are because all the variants running amok in Europe share the same omicron ancestry, so none of them are particularly nasty. We haven’t a fecking clue which variant is the main driver in China and if it’s from a different, earlier lineage it could spin off variants which are a lot more dangerous.

My uneducated guess is that this is very unlikely but you can see why everyone is a bit nervous

AlPistacho

Lots of groups reporting deaths are likely in the 1000s per day. Could this be a new variant ?

AlPistacho

Which groups?
A British group modelled 5000 daily estimate (I know modelling has its flaws), Bloomberg reports around 2000 daily (not sure what source they use).

My opinion is that deaths are definitely higher than the Chinese Gov are reporting, apparently they are not counting people who died and had pre existing conditions. So someone with diabetes who gets covid and dies a few days or weeks later the cause of death gets marked as “diabetes”.

But as we know the overwhelming majority of covid deaths are those with pre existing conditions.

C'est Moi Cantona

Tested positive on the Thursday before Christmas, and basically missed everything becasue of it.

Interestingly (for me at least), that I hadn't been ill since early in the February before it all kicked off in 2020, and have had virtually exactly the same symptoms as I did then.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don’t think so.

Although I presume the concerns are because all the variants running amok in Europe share the same omicron ancestry, so none of them are particularly nasty. We haven’t a fecking clue which variant is the main driver in China and if it’s from a different, earlier lineage it could spin off variants which are a lot more dangerous.

My uneducated guess is that this is very unlikely but you can see why everyone is a bit nervous
This article says China's covid surge is due to a Omicron sub-varient.

https://www.livemint.com/science/he...toms-to-watch-out-for/amp-11672046682327.html

golden_blunder

Staff
I don’t think so.

My boss, from India was telling me this morning that India are probably gonna go harsh on Chinese tourists too but they it was because it’s said that there is a new variant and also India haven’t done well with boosters

AlPistacho

No that’s right, then when you surge and it’s too late, introduce measures. Sensible approach
Then blame us and cycle repeat. But really with reports that 50% tested on a flight to Italy were positive and no idea what the variant is in China surely common sense is to be cautious.

golden_blunder

Staff
These measures aren’t about containing this surge though. Which has nothing to do with (recent) Chinese tourists.
Surely as we don’t really know where China is at in terms of variants it makes common sense to be cautious? As the poster below says, 50% tested bound on flight for Italy were positive.

massi83

How can these things be so confusing for you guys still? No, there's no point in mandatory testing for travellers from China. No, there's no reason to think they have anything else than omicron going there. And yes, deaths in China will be in thousands per day, if not 5 figs.

Move on already

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Surely as we don’t really know where China is at in terms of variants it makes common sense to be cautious? As the poster below says, 50% tested bound on flight for Italy were positive.
Yeah, I’ve no problem with these measures. With China apparently not even screening for new variants it seems a sensible approach. Plus there’s no real downside.

I’m just saying the decision isn’t a late reaction to the ongoing local surge. It’s more about prevention of a future surge due to a new, imported variant.

golden_blunder

Staff
My brother and his family flew from Atlanta to Dublin for a Christmas catch-up, then 2 days in Derry before a few days in Belfast meeting old friends. He came back to Dublin as sick as a dog, all the family. Tested positive. My younger brother who was putting them up in Dublin also got infected.
reckons he got infected by a pair of non vaxxing friends who were barking like dogs with a cough when they came for dinner.
had to suffer long flight back & many on the plane were coughing apparently.
both brothers have ICDs implanted. Both complaining of breathing issues when they have to bend down.

still a virus that needs to be treated with some common sense imo. I think my brother was too lax in meeting so many old friends this time of year, it was almost inevitable

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
My brother and his family flew from Atlanta to Dublin for a Christmas catch-up, then 2 days in Derry before a few days in Belfast meeting old friends. He came back to Dublin as sick as a dog, all the family. Tested positive. My younger brother who was putting them up in Dublin also got infected.
reckons he got infected by a pair of non vaxxing friends who were barking like dogs with a cough when they came for dinner.
had to suffer long flight back & many on the plane were coughing apparently.
both brothers have ICDs implanted. Both complaining of breathing issues when they have to bend down.

still a virus that needs to be treated with some common sense imo. I think my brother was too lax in meeting so many old friends this time of year, it was almost inevitable
Sorry to hear that geebs. I’m sure they’ll be fine though. It really isn’t that bad a dose these days. Catching up with old friends and family is important. Especially as you start to get on a bit. There’s only so many more opportunities left. I wouldn’t be giving them a hard time about it.

golden_blunder

Staff
Sorry to hear that geebs. I’m sure they’ll be fine though. It really isn’t that bad a dose these days. Catching up with old friends and family is important. Especially as you start to get on a bit. There’s only so many more opportunities left. I wouldn’t be giving them a hard time about it.
Oh I’m not giving them a hard time, they’ve been through hard enough times this year. My brother is pissed that the pair who were coughing didn’t at least pre-warn him though before meeting

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Oh I’m not giving them a hard time, they’ve been through hard enough times this year. My brother is pissed that the pair who were coughing didn’t at least pre-warn him though before meeting
Ah, ok. Yeah, that was a dick move from them. We are very reliant on other people being considerate with all the bugs flying round this winter. Even if there’s no long term damage done it’s fecking inconvenient being sick for a week or two.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
China has recently (the last few days really) started uploading COVID sequences again after a long period when they went silent. The sequences aren't based on mass testing anymore (because there isn't any) but on limited hospital/research lab testing etc.

It's thought that the Chinese authorities expect around 60% of the population to have been infected by the end of February. It's going to lead to a massive number of deaths, most of which will be registered as "not COVID" due to the way they've drawn their definitions.

For the rest of the world, where the virus has already raced through and where most people have had covid and/or been vaccinated it won't change much unless a new (deadlier) variant does emerge from the sheer number of infections.

Will testing travelers give us that information? Basically no - we'd have to wait a few weeks to see if it hospitalises/kills any of them - and the chances are that the travellers won't be in a high risk group, and will be people who are up to date on jabs etc.

It might make us feel safer, as if we're doing something, but unless it's combined with a week or so of post-arrival quarantine of all travellers from China, it won't do much. It will give us new sequencing data, but in itself that's mostly meaningless - we aren't that good at judging the severity of the disease from the "look" of the mutation.

And if that all sounds rather fatalistic - it is! A complete ban (or enforced quarantine) on travellers could slow the spread of a new variant. Testing - particularly in the form of a pre-flight test - will do next to nothing on spread. Post arrival testing and proper support/advice for self quarantine (and a week's supply of LFTs for everyone on the flights) might do a little more.

AlPistacho

Will testing travelers give us that information? Basically no - we'd have to wait a few weeks to see if it hospitalises/kills any of them - and the chances are that the travellers won't be in a high risk group, and will be people who are up to date on jabs etc.
“Italy didn’t find any concerning mutations in recent arrivals from China who had tested positive for the virus” (Bloomberg 1 hour ago )

Good news. And a sign that working early can pay off.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I've got it again. Only tested yesterday out of curiosity as it's quite different to the last time, I was convinced it was just a heavy head cold. All snotty, sneezing and coughing a bit but nothing on my chest.

Oh well bang goes New Year's Eve. At least I think it's on the way out now.

AlPistacho

I've got it again. Only tested yesterday out of curiosity as it's quite different to the last time, I was convinced it was just a heavy head cold. All snotty, sneezing and coughing a bit but nothing on my chest.

Oh well bang goes New Year's Eve. At least I think it's on the way out now.
Been strange. I had two viral incidents in the past 3 months (first time since 2020) . Both were 24/48 hour issues that went away, first was minor and second took me out badly for 24 hours.

Now for the past 2-3 days I feel fine, but feel like I have something. It’s hard to explain. A slight sore throat, runny nose, but mostly when I wake up I wake up with the same sweaty feeling and “Ill smell” that I do when I have a flu/virus

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Been strange. I had two viral incidents in the past 3 months (first time in over 2 years) . Both were 24/48 hour issues that went away, first was minor and second took me out badly for 24 hours.

Now for the past 2-3 days I feel fine, but feel like I have something. It’s hard to explain. A slight sore throat, runny nose, but mostly when I wake up I wake up with the same sweaty feeling and “Ill smell” that I do when I have a flu/virus
Ah yes I forgot the sore throat - that's been gone a couple of days now.

AlPistacho

U.K. set to announce negative covid test for arrivals from China.

We all probably guessed this was going to happen. But the no, the yes. Just looks indecisive. Was it to do with the border force strikes?

Bert_

U.K. set to announce negative covid test for arrivals from China.

We all probably guessed this was going to happen. But the no, the yes. Just looks indecisive. Was it to do with the border force strikes?
I've read the news so understand the first sentence at least

AlPistacho

I've read the news so understand the first sentence at least
Just yesterday the British government said they had no plans to require negative covid tests for arrivals from China. Obviously, most people knew it would change. But to change within a day, although the right call, just makes the government look fickle.

I just wondered if it was anything to do with the border strikes? Because maybe I’m being stupid and forgive me if I am but implementing that and denying people entry is easier when you have a border force.

Bert_

Just yesterday the British government said they had no plans to require negative covid tests for arrivals from China. Obviously, most people knew it would change. But to change within a day, although the right call, just makes the government look fickle.

I just wondered if it was anything to do with the border strikes? Because maybe I’m being stupid and forgive me if I am but implementing that and denying people entry is easier when you have a border force.
Apologies, I was a bit blunt there. I didn't get your point initially but I see where you're coming from now. I don't think the Border Force strikes have anything to do with policy. The Border Force have little to do with anything meaningful really.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

"The right call" isn't that simple. This is more about politics and looking like they're doing something than actual science.

Testing people a day before they fly means that you catch only some infectious cases - and you'll catch a lot of people who are already past the infectious stage. Meanwhile the people who were infected in the previous few days, who are about to hit their most infectious phase, will get missed.

If you want to address actual caseload you need to test before and after the flight, and keep testing in quarantine conditions for at least a week. As it happens, numerically speaking, for the UK (like most countries) the extra cases will be a drop in the ocean.

If you want to look for variant data - because you don't trust what China is saying - it would be the post flight tests that matter. Because those you can run through your own, trusted labs.

Right now, the most startling growth in a single variant of unknown severity is coming from the US. If we want to go back to flight controls shouldn't we start with those travellers? Personally, I don't want to see border controls make a comeback - I think they're irrelevant given vaccination and past infection levels in the UK - and I don't think these are more than a PR exercise.

AlPistacho

"The right call" isn't that simple. This is more about politics and looking like they're doing something than actual science.

Testing people a day before they fly means that you catch only some infectious cases - and you'll catch a lot of people who are already past the infectious stage. Meanwhile the people who were infected in the previous few days, who are about to hit their most infectious phase, will get missed.

If you want to address actual caseload you need to test before and after the flight, and keep testing in quarantine conditions for at least a week. As it happens, numerically speaking, for the UK (like most countries) the extra cases will be a drop in the ocean.

If you want to look for variant data - because you don't trust what China is saying - it would be the post flight tests that matter. Because those you can run through your own, trusted labs.

Right now, the most startling growth in a single variant of unknown severity is coming from the US. If we want to go back to flight controls shouldn't we start with those travellers? Personally, I don't want to see border controls make a comeback - I think they're irrelevant given vaccination and past infection levels in the UK - and I don't think these are more than a PR exercise.
You make a good point about the USA. Read they recorded highest numbers in x amount of time, didn’t know it was an unknown variant.

I think with the USA we have trusted data. Whereas with China the data they give seems to put image first. If the numbers numbers in the USA came close to what was speculated to be the case in China I would want the same applied to US flights. If this US variant turns out to be more dangerous or vaccine immune then i would want the same also.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I really hope that in countries with decent vaccination rates this is heading to a slow end. My experience in my hospital, where I work in A/E admitting patients since the start of pandemic, we can't wait for them to phase out the Covid area, or, what would make a fecking load more sense, turn it into an area for both Covid and Flu. More and more it seems to be that they're indistinguishable in population at risk, seriousness, complications, etc, except Flu is becoming a lot more prevalent again. Which is more or less back to business as usual (still awful this time of year). Covid will become something like Syncytial Respiratory Virus, and other viral differential diagnosis of Flu.

(Mostly as a response to @Pogue Mahone post in previous page).

It makes every sense that if China kept too hard restrictions for too long, and if the elderly are undervaccinated, it would paint a poor scenario. Where is their immunity?

I don't really follow Covid news for the past two years so the second paragraph is genuine questioning. By the way, there's no way it is possible this could be deliberate, is there? Please tell me there isn't.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Felt like I was getting better yesterday and now I’ve woke up feeling fecking awful. Feel nauseous constantly, my head feels heavy as heck and it feels like I can barely move my body.
update, this is probably the worst cold/flu I’ve ever had. Started with the fever and sinus headaches and severe body aches that kept me out of action for around 4 days. Started feeling a bit better but was still coughing slightly and had a constant runny nose. That was around a week and thought i was improving until yesterday I started feeling severe body aches again and woke up with a stinking blocked nose and sore throat. Went to the toilet this morning and ungodly fluids were flying out of my nose and mouth. Really nasty. Been about 2 weeks now sick, fed up with it.