SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

DVG7

How deadly is a virus that kills around 15 people in what I imagine has been around 1 month since onset?
well, given the fact that it’s killed people, I’d put it at pretty deadly in the how deadly scale

Smores

Locking down an area of 20million people is quite an alarming measure to be fair.

I think most governments now are quite ultra-alert because of the increasing risk of a really deadly virus.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Locking down an area of 20million people is quite an alarming measure to be fair.

I think most governments now are quite ultra-alert because of the increasing risk of a really deadly virus.
WUHAN! WUHAN! Got them all in Check...

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
what is it, 400 cases confirmed? And 15deaths? So it’s 3.75% deadly
probably not - there will be a lot of people who dont exhibit enough symptoms to present themselves to medical facilities and be included in the totals - equally there might be people who have a natural immunity to it - so it might be much less deadly

Of course the converse part of that argument is that there might be many more people carrying the virus round and potentially spreading it

I guess we just don't know enough to be certain at this point but for sure such an outbreak around Chinese new year is a bad combination... I mean if you were writing a movie script for some apocalyptic, dystopian horror then worlds biggest mass migration and a unknown, untreatable communicable disease wouldn't be a bad start

MadMike

What stocks do I invest in to profit from the pandemonium this will cause?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Given they're about a sixth of the world's population you'd expect them to be one of the most likely candidates right off the bat. Then if you account for living standards, how they might handle e.g. animals then it might be even more likely.
I don't know why it's not India though, they should be about as likely candidates.
Nice.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
what is it, 400 cases confirmed? And 15deaths? So it’s 3.75% deadly
That's a low mortality rate to be fair. Either avian or swine flu has 60% mortality rate -- just seen that statistic in that new netflix series about next global pandemic, which is almost certain, they say.

My worry is, that it could mutate into something much more deadly and we'd all be fecked then.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
That's a low mortality rate to be fair. Either avian or swine flu has 60% mortality rate -- just seen that statistic in that new netflix series about next global pandemic, which is almost certain, they say.

My worry is, that it could mutate into something much more deadly and we'd all be fecked then.
Mutate into something out of the X-men?

Coops73

I like Coronas, specially in the summer, slice of lime, ice cold...feck it I’ll drink morettis instead then.

wr8_utd

:'(
The videos on Twitter are a bit alarming. People just collapsing in the streets and hospitals.
This is beginning to spread now and there have been cases in around 12 countries.

wr8_utd

:'(
China built a lab to study SARS & Ebola in #Wuhan - & US scientists warned in 2017 that a virus could 'escape' the facility located in the same city that's at the #coronavirus outbreak's center.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Plus the massive variety of animals eaten in China - basically if it moves, someone there will either find a recipe for it or some 'medicinal benefit'. That clearly increases the window of opportunity for these bugs.
Chinese will eat anything with legs except a chair. Apparently only one lab in China can handle the virus, and guess what city it is in. Wuhan I wonder if it maybe, escaped from there. Nature

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The videos on Twitter are a bit alarming. People just collapsing in the streets and hospitals.
This is beginning to spread now and there have been cases in around 12 countries.
I searched that after your post and the first thing which came up was a video of a guy eating live baby mice using chopstix at a restaurant purportedly in Wuhan. Was fecking dreadful. The lazy, racist message of the video was that Chinese people are to blame for this fatal virus.

Sanchez7

I searched that after your post and the first thing which came up was a video of a guy eating live baby mice using chopstix at a restaurant purportedly in Wuhan. Was fecking dreadful. The lazy, racist message of the video was that Chinese people are to blame for this fatal virus.
Exactly the same thing happened to me. I can't get it out of my head and feel pretty grossed out. I don't condemn it though, it is a cultural thing and they are within their right to eat whatever they want.

Eleven-Eighteen

China is a building a hospital in *2 weeks* to house all the patients affected by this virus, and goddamn are they going to succeed

Maniacs the lot of them

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Exactly the same thing happened to me. I can't get it out of my head and feel pretty grossed out. I don't condemn it though, it is a cultural thing and they are within their right to eat whatever they want.
Yeah...that's gonna be a no from me