SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

0le

And what powers would they have? They don't have any. Visible deterrent maybe but they're pretty toothless and would need the police to arrest etc.
Come on man, it won't be difficult to bring in emergency legislation to give them power. They can use rubber bullets, water canons etc.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Any flu can give you pneumonia... And the symptoms are basically that of the flu. It's not terrifying. Describing the symptoms as terrifying is silly. The conversation was about nothing more than just that.
I hope no one you love that is vulnerable contracts this.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
You think it will? There's more chance it will increase. Empty premises = burglary. Potential for public disorder and looting/theft. Domestic abuse. Street violence due to issues with drug supply chain and borders closing. I could go on mate.
I'd like to think people will behave themselves and I hope they do but sadly I can see robbing/looting further down the line if things get worse. I think as long as the supply chain doesn't break then things should be relatively okay. If it does then the desperation will increase and so will crime.

Skills

Snitch
This what I've projected from italy using a daily decrease of new cases by 14%.

That doesn't tell the whole story though because the number of active cases at any given time is more crucial, and sadly the number of recoveries so far in Italy still fall far behind the number of new cases.

Camilo

And those with pneumonia generally die without medical help, regardless of flu or coronavirus.

You are assuming that you will get a ventilator if you contract this virus (or flu for that matter) at peak and are unlucky enough to be affected severely. That is a bad assumption to make.
Describing the chap in the video's experience as "terrifying" was silly, because it is basically the experience of anyone who's had a bad flu. That's all I said. I'm not talking about hospitals, I'm not talking about treatment.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

UK DatesUK DeathsItaly DatesItaly DeathsSpain DatesSpain DeathsFrance DatesFrance Deaths
March 8th​
3​
Feb 23rd​
3​
March 5th​
3​
March 2nd​
3​
March 9th​
5​
Feb 24th​
7​
March 6th​
8​
March 3rd​
4​
March 10th​
6​
Feb 25th​
11​
March 7th​
10​
March 4th​
4​
March 11th​
8​
Feb 26th​
12​
March 8th​
17​
March 5th​
7​
March 12th​
10​
Feb 27th​
17​
March 9th​
30​
March 6th​
9​
March 13th​
11​
Feb 28th​
21​
March 10th​
36​
March 7th​
16​
March 14th​
21​
Feb 29th​
29​
March 11th​
55​
March 8th​
19​
March 15th​
35​
March 1st​
41​
March 12th​
86​
March 9th​
30​
March 16th​
55​
March 2nd​
52​
March 13th​
133​
March 10th​
33​
March 17th​
71​
March 3rd​
79​
March 14th​
196​
March 11th​
48​
March 18th​
104​
March 4th​
107​
March 15th​
294​
March 12th​
61​
March 19th​
144​
March 5th​
148​
March 16th​
342​
March 13th​
79​
March 20th​
177​
March 6th​
197​
March 17th​
533​
March 14th​
91​
March 21st​
233​
March 7th​
233​
March 18th​
638​
March 15th​
127​
March 22nd​
281​
March 8th​
366​
March 19th​
833​
March 16th​
148​
March 23rd​
335​
March 9th​
463​
March 20th​
1,093​
March 17th​
175​
- -March 10th 631March 21st 1,381March 18th 244
March 11th 827March 22nd 1,813March 19th 372
March 12th 1,016March 23rd 2,207March 20th 450
March 13th 1,266March 21st 562
March 14th 1,441March 22nd 674
March 15th 1,809March 23rd
My uncle has a house in Spain and he said his neighbour in Spain text him to say people in their twenties are dying from it.

spiriticon

Describing the chap in the video's experience as "terrifying" was silly, because it is basically the experience of anyone who's had a bad flu. That's all I said. I'm not talking about hospitals, I'm not talking about treatment.
Ok fair enough. Though I think if you had a really bad flu right now, you'd probably more terrified than if you had it a year ago...

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Been manic at work all day, can someone help me out please?
-are we any closer to lockdown?
-has Boris done his address for the day yet?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Been manic at work all day, can someone help me out please?
-are we any closer to lockdown?
-has Boris done his address for the day yet?
No address I don't think, busy in a COBRA meeting, addressing us later they think.

Looking closer to a lockdown, nothing official though.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Any flu can give you pneumonia... And the symptoms are basically that of the flu. It's not terrifying. Describing the symptoms as terrifying is silly. The conversation was about nothing more than just that.
As someone who has watched two loved ones die of pneumonia I will say that anything that can cause pneumonia is terrifying. COVID-19 is much more direct at infecting the lungs than the flu.

Whatever similarity there is, the prospect of contracting this virus should be terrifying for anyone and even more so should they be unlucky enough to contract it when there is a shortage of beds and equipment.

Camilo

Ok fair enough. Though I think if you had a really bad flu right now, you'd probably more terrified than if you had it a year ago...
We're all going to get it.... Terrifying is a very strong word. It's killing very small numbers of old people, and I'm not old. There are far scarier things out there, and we don't worry about them on a daily basis... If you were older then sure, it's a scary time. Of course maybe the guy I initially quoted is over 70, or perhaps is worried about family...

But terrifying? Nah, I don't think it's right to let such drama go unchallenged.

Camilo

As someone who has watched two loved ones die of pneumonia I will say that anything that can cause pneumonia is terrifying. COVID-19 is much more direct at infecting the lungs than the flu.

Whatever similarity there is, the prospect of contracting this virus should be terrifying for anyone and even more so should they be unlucky enough to contract it when there is a shortage of beds and equipment.
Each to their own. I've watched most of my family die of cancer (a far, far more likely way to die) but I'd never say I find it terrifying.

Most of us will be absolutely fine.

I take that as a daily decrease of new cases at 14%. If they can keep that up, that would be some achievement but it still looks awfully grim. It'll have them at 80k cases by the 29th and 90k by the 8th of April. To get below 100 new cases per day (ala China) it will take until the 18th of April at the current rate.
I fully expect to be in lockdown all through April, and whilst cases might fall the death stats will not for some time yet. They will lag behind the cases by at least a week and will probably get younger as time goes on.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
We're all going to get it.... Terrifying is a very strong word. It's killing very small numbers of old people, and I'm not old. There are far scarier things out there, and we don't worry about them on a daily basis... If you were older then sure, it's a scary time. Of course maybe the guy I initially quoted is over 70, or perhaps is worried about family...

But terrifying? Nah, I don't think it's right to let such drama go unchallenged.
Well it's terrifying for me, subjectively.

Great for you if you're not in a risk category / or are ignorant to the point of bliss, but for me, as an individual in a risk group and with a young family and people depending on me - it is terrifying and with good reason.

The 'drama' you are bothered by may not be the same for you, but don't fecking try and tell other people how they should / shouldn't be concerned when you know absolutely feck all about their individual situation.

Last edited:

spiriticon

Is there anything scarier than potential death? I mean, to most people that is the pinnacle isn't it?

Coronavirus (or the flu) is not terrifying if you can guarantee top class medical help IF you need it. It's not the disease itself that is terrifying (since there is a 95% chance you just have mild symptoms), it's the potential lack of medical assistance if you are one of the unlucky 5%.

That is the fear.

redshaw

Shopping was a breeze this morning, plenty of stock, just got what I need, hopefully some saw sense but perhaps they can't fit any more in. I heard people talking about stores being sold out of fridge freezers, the cheeky bastard hoarders probably have a garage full.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Shopping was a breeze this morning, plenty of stock, just got what I need, hopefully some saw sense but perhaps they can't fit any more in. I heard people talking about stores being sold out of fridge freezers, the cheeky bastard hoarders probably have a garage full.
Imagine being able to buy a freezer on a whim

Volumiza

The two sentences I’ve highlighted tell me all I need to know about you.

Each to their own. I've watched most of my family die of cancer (a far, far more likely way to die) but I'd never say I find it terrifying.

Most of us will be absolutely fine.
Dude. I’m 45 with asthma. I’m terrified of it and don’t mind admitting. First thing in my whole life I’ve been scared of. Good for you and your confidence.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea

That's cold.

Are you the person that was saying the other day 'we need people to get it?'

That makes sense now.

Fully Fledged

I heard that, it's sad how selfish people are.

Volumiza

Well it's terrifying for me, subjectively.

Great for you if you're not a in a risk category / or are ignorant to the point of bliss, but for me, as an individual in a risk group and with a young family and people depending on me - it is terrifying and with good reason.

The 'drama' you are bothered by may not be the same for you, but don't fecking try and tell other people how they should / shouldn't be concerned when you know absolutely feck all about their individual situation.
Well said.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
What I've been worried about today is the fact that of all the cases that have had an outcome 14 % have resulted in death.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There was a report here of a 95-year-old lady who's recovered and gone home, after being in hospital since 5 March. She must be tough as old boots, bless her.
I love these stories of really old people that are somehow made of teflon. I hope that she gets a few healthy decades. :D