SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Guy Incognito

Sounds like it. Maybe those idiots on the weekend have brought it forward whereas it would have been delayed some time otherwise.
Really feel Boris tried to give the benefit of the doubt, let people make the choice to listen to the government, but a lockdown was inevitable. The images of the tube today, I can't believe all those passengers were critical workers.

redshaw

There was a report here of a 95-year-old lady who's recovered and gone home, after being in hospital since 5 March. She must be tough as old boots, bless her.
Amazing. Hope she has many more years to come.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Really feel Boris tried to give the benefit of the doubt, let people make the choice to listen to the government, but a lockdown was inevitable. The images of the tube today, I can't believe all those passengers were critical workers.
He did to be fair to him, I think he's been left with no alternative.

Marcelinho87

This isn't on people, this is on business continuing to operate.

I work in a warehouse which currently employs circa 3000 people, they are not closing... What do you expect those people to do?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What I've been worried about today is the fact that of all the cases that have had an outcome 14 % have resulted in death.
Symptoms take a couple of weeks to clear dont they? 2 weeks ago we had just beaten City in front of a full crowd and there wasn't that much spread around the world (but it was getting there). So the big explosion of new cases over the last 2 weeks, pretty much the only ones that would have been "closed" would be deaths. Mild cases that were freshly diagnosed within the past week wouldn't yet clear.

Traub

My country (South Africa) going into 21 day national lockdown from Thursday.

Guy Incognito

This isn't on people, this is on business continuing to operate.

I work in a warehouse which currently employs circa 3000 people, they are not closing... What do you expect those people to do?
The businesses are at fault here, I agree. TFL for reducing services too, it's had the opposite effect.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Symptoms take a couple of weeks to clear dont they? 2 weeks ago we had just beaten City in front of a full crowd and there wasn't that much spread around the world (but it was getting there). So the big explosion of new cases over the last 2 weeks, pretty much the only ones that would have been "closed" would be deaths. Mild cases that were freshly diagnosed within the past week wouldn't yet clear.
That's what I'm clinging to yeah.

Camilo

The two sentences I’ve highlighted tell me all I need to know about you.

Dude. I’m 45 with asthma. I’m terrified of it and don’t mind admitting. First thing in my whole life I’ve been scared of. Good for you and your confidence.
Maybe I'm a cold bastard, fair enough.

I just think it'll be fine. You'll be fine. Most of us will be absolutely fine.. It's worth a look at the numbers of people dying from heart disease, from strokes, from cancers.. I think it helps keep perspective on all this.

arnie_ni

Not totally clued up on this, but have the Democrats in USA really blocked givernement financial aid to businesses?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
How bad is your Asthma, Vol? Does it cause you day to day problems?

How is normally affected when you get a heavy cold etc?
Not awful asthma, I had it bad as a kid but grew out of it in my late teens. Now it comes and goes, usually in hay fever season but over winter / cold weather it’s a bit worse and just lately it’s been the worst it’s been for years ... comedy timing!

Whenever I have a cold it always ends up on my chest. Never really bothered about it too much but with this thing ... well, can’t say I’m not concerned.

What about you? You say you’re on the risk list? How come?

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
We're all going to get it.... Terrifying is a very strong word. It's killing very small numbers of old people, and I'm not old. There are far scarier things out there, and we don't worry about them on a daily basis... If you were older then sure, it's a scary time. Of course maybe the guy I initially quoted is over 70, or perhaps is worried about family...

But terrifying? Nah, I don't think it's right to let such drama go unchallenged.
Deep breaths.

- What about the 34yr old neutropaenic chemotherapy patient?
- What about the 17yr old with arthritis on immunosuppressing methotrexate long term?
- What about the 21yr old girl with cystic fibrosis?
- What about the 31yr old guy with chronically poorly controlled asthma who's already had 1 ITU stay in the past year?
- What about the 39yr old diabetic man?
- What about the 42 yr old liver transplant lady on anti-rejection medication?
- What about the 36yr old nurse in London who's currently ventilated previously being fit and well?

All these groups, except for the last one, are high risk. To assume this is simply a disease of the old is naïve. I'm happy you're not old. I'm not old either but this is quite frankly an unprecedented event we are about to deal with. It's all very well to just wave this away because you'll likely get mild symptoms, but it's time to stop being so selfish and start looking out for others more vulnerable than yourself. I don't know if you're British, but it's starting to piss me off here in the UK at people's apparent blasé approach to this - congregating at the beach at the weekend just past, going for large group cycles, that 'essential' travel to Snowdonia as seen on GMB. People need to be shit-scared of this, it's the only way they'll wise-the-feck-up and refrain from such things.

We had a significant update today that has come close to home. One of our nurses took unwell on Thursday and is now tubed and ventilated after contracting COVID.

I want people to realise just what is going on and what will happen:

- Hospitals are woefully unprepared for this, despite the best efforts of those working there, the tsunami of patients expected in the coming weeks will cripple the NHS. There's not enough PPE available. There's not enough tests - staff aren't being tested for it. There's not enough beds. One hospital here wont have enough oxygen ffs.

- People are being made DNACPR upon arrival to a hospital if they are over a certain age with even 1 co-morbidity. Fact of the matter is if they required ITU and there's one bed left, the person without the co-morbidity will be taken. The other person? Sent to the ward without nearly as much monitoring or oxygen availability. Wards in London have reported multiple patients being sent there to slowly fade.

- Staff in ITU have been briefed on dealing with colleague bereavement. Mental health is being prioritised for the staff.

- Operations requiring ITU care post surgically are being cancelled to save space. That has significant repurcussions for the general public.

- There are beds available at the moment in ITU, but in 2 - 3 weeks time? Place is going to be a shitshow.

Many people will die and they wont just be a 'tiny number of old people'. I'm not saying this to stoke fear, but quite frankly it's got to the point now I need to be realistic to others as to what is happening in the hospitals and what we're being told. I don't give a feck if you're not old, or if you're mate's aren't old. I give a feck about people adhering to the strict guidelines set out to them (and I hope we move to lockdown very quickly) in order to protect as many people as possible.

This is unprecedented.

Foxbatt

Not totally clued up on this, but have the Democrats in USA really blocked givernement financial aid to businesses?
Yes something to do with not enough financial support to the ordinary people but a lot of support to the corporations.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah there’s a $500bn dollar corporate slush fund which specifically says that the recipients will have their identities protected for 6 months and Steve Mnunchin has free reign over how to allocate it.

The democrats are being very clear that they want to protect all businesses and all Americans, not just bail out the corporations who have already abused their tax cuts by using it for stock buybacks rather than trickle down like they promised.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Not awful asthma, I had it bad as a kid but grew out of it in my late teens. Now it comes and goes, usually in hay fever season but over winter / cold weather it’s a bit worse and just lately it’s been the worst it’s been for years ... comedy timing!

Whenever I have a cold it always ends up on my chest. Never really bothered about it too much but with this thing ... well, can’t say I’m not concerned.

Yeah, Asthma very similar to yourself.

Are you based in U.K?

Volumiza

Maybe I'm a cold bastard, fair enough.

I just think it'll be fine. You'll be fine. Most of us will be absolutely fine.. It's worth a look at the numbers of people dying from heart disease, from strokes, from cancers.. I think it helps keep perspective on all this.
Numbers are numbers. I get my perspective from people. I have close work colleagues in both Italy and France and the way their lives have been affected is astonishing.

Two of my UK friends have been laid off for a minimum of 3 months unpaid. Elderly neighbours are living in isolation and fear.

Ultimately most people will be fine if we just look at numbers, but sorry to burst your bubble, there’s nothing guaranteeing you will be fine or those close to you, regardless of age.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive

With regards the guidelines (not sure if you've seen them but I'll post them on @Grinner 's info only thread) they're fairly comprehensive. I also have asthma and it also just flares up when I get virally.

Currently if you take a ventolin/blue inhaler more than 3 times per week, you just have to increase social distancing. Things get more serious if you require 3rd line things like montelukast and high dosed steroidal inhalers.

As I say, I'll post those guidelines up and you can have a wee look yourself to see where you fall into.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
- People are being made DNACPR upon arrival to a hospital if they are over a certain age with even 1 co-morbidity. Fact of the matter is if they required ITU and there's one bed left, the person without the co-morbidity will be taken. The other person? Sent to the ward without nearly as much monitoring or oxygen availability. Wards in London have reported multiple patients being sent there to slowly fade.
So this has already started happening? I don't even know what to say. We don't even hit the the peak of the virus until about mid May.

nme_pro

Fresh from newbieville
I haven't read anything about that, but it doesn't strike me as too worrying per se. My sense of taste and smell is always fecked when I'm sick. By the way, first time the number of new infections in a day have decreased over here. Too early to draw any conclusions but let's keep our fingers crossed it's the measures taking effect. It seems early for that but I'll take any sort of good news right now.
Yep, almost completely lost my sense of smell. Bleaching the toilet, can't smell it, nose in a coffee pot, can't smell it. Bought some mothers day flowers from interflora and can't smell a thing. Randomly, I can smell broccoli, must have something to do with which nasal receptors are affected? That's just a guess though.

Was having a set to with the Mrs all weekend about a smell in the kitchen. I was adamant I couldn't smell anything and she thought I was taking the piss.

Been about three days now, last in London on the 12th March, since then only a brief check in to a Sainsbury's local and picking up my kid from nursery, which is where I suspect it came from.

Couple of aches and pains and some sniffles which I dismissed as I was already at home and daughter had a cold. If these are the only symptoms I get ill count myself very lucky if I do indeed have it.

onemanarmy

My country's government is doing really well at the moment in my opinion. We are adding extra emergency hospital beds in record pace. Communication has been excellent too. Glad.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
We're all going to get it.... Terrifying is a very strong word. It's killing very small numbers of old people, and I'm not old. There are far scarier things out there, and we don't worry about them on a daily basis... If you were older then sure, it's a scary time. Of course maybe the guy I initially quoted is over 70, or perhaps is worried about family...

But terrifying? Nah, I don't think it's right to let such drama go unchallenged.

I think you're right. It's awful that a lot of people are going to die from this, but most aren't. It'll be the panic and people freaking out that causes most problems with this. Now that's not to say that we can't do a lot better to reduce the casualty numbers. I think there have been definite failures with that from our leaders.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
My country (South Africa) going into 21 day national lockdown from Thursday.
Yeah my family just told me about this.

In general SA have been way more on it and proactive then we have... And when the SA government is making you look bad, then you know you've really shit the bed.

Volumiza

With regards the guidelines (not sure if you've seen them but I'll post them on @Grinner 's info only thread) they're fairly comprehensive. I also have asthma and it also just flares up when I get virally.

Currently if you take a ventolin/blue inhaler more than 3 times per week, you just have to increase social distancing. Things get more serious if you require 3rd line things like montelukast and high dosed steroidal inhalers.

As I say, I'll post those guidelines up and you can have a wee look yourself to see where you fall into.
Thanks, yes I’m being a very good boy and social distancing ... I don’t find that so hard, I like my own company for the most part :lol:

F-Red

Strong rumours of a UK lockdown being announced later. What do we think?
Highly likely, a cobra meeting has a wide involvement of various bodies and to make such changes ie. a lockdown, then i'm sure military would be consulted as part of that process.

Camilo

Deep breaths.

- What about the 34yr old neutropaenic chemotherapy patient?
- What about the 17yr old with arthritis on immunosuppressing methotrexate long term?
- What about the 21yr old girl with cystic fibrosis?
- What about the 31yr old guy with chronically poorly controlled asthma who's already had 1 ITU stay in the past year?
- What about the 39yr old diabetic man?
- What about the 42 yr old liver transplant lady on anti-rejection medication?
- What about the 36yr old nurse in London who's currently ventilated previously being fit and well?

All these groups, except for the last one, are high risk. To assume this is simply a disease of the old is naïve. I'm happy you're not old. I'm not old either but this is quite frankly an unprecedented event we are about to deal with. It's all very well to just wave this away because you'll likely get mild symptoms, but it's time to stop being so selfish and start looking out for others more vulnerable than yourself. I don't know if you're British, but it's starting to piss me off here in the UK at people's apparent blasé approach to this - congregating at the beach at the weekend just past, going for large group cycles, that 'essential' travel to Snowdonia as seen on GMB. People need to be shit-scared of this, it's the only way they'll wise-the-feck-up and refrain from such things.

We had a significant update today that has come close to home. One of our nurses took unwell on Thursday and is now tubed and ventilated after contracting COVID.

I want people to realise just what is going on and what will happen:

- Hospitals are woefully unprepared for this, despite the best efforts of those working there, the tsunami of patients expected in the coming weeks will cripple the NHS. There's not enough PPE available. There's not enough tests - staff aren't being tested for it. There's not enough beds. One hospital here wont have enough oxygen ffs.

- Staff in ITU have been briefed on dealing with colleague bereavement. Mental health is being prioritised for the staff.

- Operations requiring ITU care post surgically are being cancelled to save space. That has significant repurcussions for the general public.

- There are beds available at the moment in ITU, but in 2 - 3 weeks time? Place is going to be a shitshow.

Many people will die and they wont just be a 'tiny number of old people'. I'm not saying this to stoke fear, but quite frankly it's got to the point now I need to be realistic to others as to what is happening in the hospitals and what we're being told. I don't give a feck if you're not old, or if you're mate's aren't old. I give a feck about people adhering to the strict guidelines set out to them (and I hope we move to lockdown very quickly) in order to protect as many people as possible.

This is unprecedented.
It is unprecedented and it is going to kill loads of people. But that wasn't what I was responding to.

Look it doesn't matter, we all get it, I just didn't agree on the being terrified thing. It's fine. Each to their own.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
So this has already started happening? I don't even know what to say. We don't even hit the the peak of the virus until about mid May.
In parts, yes. I don't want to waft the fire of fear, but it's important for people to know that if they come in with a loved one that difficult conversations may be initiated from the get go.

Giggs86

I also have asthma, started late (30 years old). At first I had to use albuterol all the time but now I have it under control (use one puff of breo every 7-10 days). I think my asthma is due to allergies (cats/dust) since I never suffer from it on vacations. Also it never bothered me when I had a regular cold so I'm optimistic.