SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

redshaw

More than half of counties have no hospital ICU beds, a growing concern as the novel coronavirus spreads throughout the nation. This map shows counties with no hospitals, counties with hospitals but no ICU beds, and counties that do have ICU beds. You can scroll over the map or, better yet, do a more comprehensive search on KHN’s interactive table, where you can search by either county or state.

https://khn.org/news/as-coronavirus...-americans-live-in-counties-with-no-icu-beds/

Bit of a concern perhaps for some Americans

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
There's a Guardian article about some Telecoms Engineers in the UK being verbally and physically threatened and Facebook groups of people videoing themselves destroying phone equipment because of a conspiracy theory going around that the Coronavirus is caused by 5G. :houllier:

Cal?

CR7 fan
I don't think I've been clear. It stops the spread via already infected people. If you are wearing a mask and are not infected the evidence is that it does little to protect you.

Agreed, I don't think I was clear enough. The masks help for sure if the infected wear them. The evidence I've read suggests it isn't protective for non infected persons. (though I'm still doubtful about that despite the science being done)

Yes, they do. The masks stop that. If you aren't infected a mask likely won't help you.

**edit. define mask...that's also going to have a huge impact!
The point is that you don't know who has COVID and carriers can already spread the virus before they show any signs.

Foxbatt

Who the feck needs more research to know that wearing a mask is better than not wearing one during a global pandemic?

WHO are clowns.
I was surprised too. They knew how the virus moves yet keep saying no point in wearing a mask. Ruddy clowns I agree.

Suedesi

The WHO has to deal in facts and they aren't omniscient, it seems like there are very few certainties about the virus even within the expert community. So releasing bits of information based on the studies that they can get seems like the logical or perhaps only thing to do.
To me it seems that the error FROM NOT wearing masks is vastly costlier than the error FROM wearing masks. So I wear a mask. Decision-making in real life (with imperfect information, uncertain conditions) is based on such asymmetries.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Who the feck needs more research to know that wearing a mask is better than not wearing one during a global pandemic?

WHO are clowns.
Not according to many people on this thread, apparently wearing one incorrectly does more harm than good according to some.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Not according to many people on this thread, apparently wearing one incorrectly does more harm than good according to some.
I'm convinced the anti-masks message is because governments don't want others to incorrectly think wearing one will automatically stop people from catching. It seems like an attempt to engineer higher vigilance so that mask wearers don't completely let their guard down.

/conspiracy

vodrake

It makes you despair.

The number of people in the comments who don't seem to think maintaining internet connectivity during a period where everyone is stuck at home requiring information is "essential work" is also astounding.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
To me it seems that the error FROM NOT wearing masks is vastly costlier than the error FROM wearing masks. So I wear a mask. Decision-making in real life (with imperfect information, uncertain conditions) is based on such asymmetries.
I've seen lots of people who wear masks mindlessly touching their face trying to adjust them, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a statistic that shows little effect of mass distribution of masks.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
There's a Guardian article about some Telecoms Engineers in the UK being verbally and physically threatened and Facebook groups of people videoing themselves destroying phone equipment because of a conspiracy theory going around that the Coronavirus is caused by 5G. :houllier:
Yeah that was silly vid of the woman who told some workers they were laying cables which would kill everyone

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Seems stupid is contagious too.
If only those idiots' fear of technology made them refrain from using the internet to pick up more and more stupid conspiracy theories. Maybe states should actually use troll farms to start such a movement.

Skills

Snitch
Intuitively, I think masks work. They probably won't stop you from getting coronavirus if you get exposed to it, but intuitively they are effective at stopping you and other people from spreading it around. Or at least spreading it around to the same degree.

But the thing doesn't work if everyone doesn't do it & there isn't a culture of using them. SK/Hong Kong/China already have their use ingrained culturally, it's definitely not the case in Europe. You also need to make sure they're disposed of correctly & they're obviously environmental contaminants too.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Tbh Ive been told by someone extremely high up in the NHS that the majority of masks do absolutely nothing, outside the n95s.

Placebo more than anything.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So, on the subject of masks, that order from Donald to 3M not to ship to Canada? Apparently the specific pulp used as part of the N95 only comes from Canada. There are also nurses that cross the border daily and work in hard hit Detroit.

Great move, Donny...

Carolina Red

Staff
This kinda shit is what you see, along with people wearing facemasks (improperly) and using gloves (improperly). It isn’t doing a damn thing to stop Covid.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don't think I've been clear. It stops the spread via already infected people. If you are wearing a mask and are not infected the evidence is that it does little to protect you.
Agreed, I don't think I was clear enough. The masks help for sure if the infected wear them. The evidence I've read suggests it isn't protective for non infected persons. (though I'm still doubtful about that despite the science being done)
Yes, they do. The masks stop that. If you aren't infected a mask likely won't help you.
**edit. define mask...that's also going to have a huge impact!
Sorry if I'm being pedantic, but what you've written is not strictly true.

Four starting premise:
1. Covid19 spreads 'person to person' OR 'person touching contaminated surface with hand and then placing near mouth, nose or eyes'.
2. People touch their face 200+ times a day.
3. Masks are effective at capturing droplets, which is a main transmission route of coronavirus, and some studies have estimated a roughly fivefold protection versus no barrier alone . https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ect-me-from-coronavirus-covid-19-myths-busted
4. The evidence says mask reduce likelihood of covid19 airborne particles from entering your mouth or nose, but not 100% guarantee .

Scenario: Let's say I'm infected but asymptomatic, so not in strict quarantine but following social distancing. When out of home, wearing mask stops me from spreading covid19 particles onto my hand, which I could then spread onto surfaces, which others would later touch eg: (eg a shopping basket, trolly or a door handle). Next person who touches surface also not wearing mask, then touches mouth/nose and could get infected.
In that instance, wearing a mask helps me not to spread covid19, and not wearing mask has acted as a 'spreading' agent, and would contribute to infecting others.

Scenario: Let's say I'm uninfected. I wear a mask outside. Unknowingly I touch a surface in a shop where covid19 was alive (eg a shopping basket, trolly or a door handle). Because I'm wearing a mask, it reminds me not to touch face with hand until I get out of shop or get home. After I leave shop or when I get home, I wash hands with soap or use 60%+ alcohol based hand sanitiser. Then take off mask and can touch my face without risk.
In that instance, the mask has acted as a 'protection' barrier, and most likely saved me from being infected.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Tbh Ive been told by someone extremely high up in the NHS that the majority of masks do absolutely nothing, outside the n95s.

Placebo more than anything.
The normal masks are to stop people giving the virus out. If everyone wears one then it's bleeding obvious that it will be restricted rather than as open now.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

WHO are clowns.
I think the advice came from a good place, which was to discourage non frontline people from panic buying and hoarding.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yeah because you’re feckING WASTING SCARCE EQUIPMENT.

God damn, it isn’t that difficult.
Again, I've never denied that health care professionals be given priority, that's not exactly what you were previously arguing was it?

Anyway, everyone stay safe.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Scenario: Let's say I'm uninfected. I wear a mask outside. Unknowingly I touch a surface in a shop where covid19 was alive (eg a shopping basket, trolly or a door handle). Because I'm wearing a mask, it reminds me not to touch face with hand until I get out of shop or get home. After I leave shop or when I get home, I wash hands with soap or use 60%+ Alcohol based hand sanitiser. Then take off mask and can touch my face without risk.
In that instance, the mask has acted as a 'protection' barrier, and most likely saved me from being infected
Except you're not used to wearing the mask and find it hot and uncomfortable. You touch it a few times trying to make it more comfortable and transmit the virus from your fingers to your face.

hp88

Anyone watched the Red Zone report on Sky News? It's fecking grim to watch. Worrying when they're all saying we're not doing enough.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Except you're not used to wearing the mask and find it hot and uncomfortable. You touch it a few times trying to make it more comfortable and transmit the virus from your fingers to your face.
I bought some whilst in Thailand, and luckily for me, the pharmacist took the time to explain how to properly wear (N95 for 2*7 hour flights was a real challenge!). I also noticed (via TV) that many people in SE Asian nations immediately started wearing masks as soon as it became a major issue in their country.

You're right. I'm not saying everyone knows how to use properly (myself included) but what to do? Unlike SE Asia, western governments and citizens have been found totally uneducated and unprepared about a Corona virus pandemic.

I understand people in west being freaked out and wearing masks, albeit without proper education. Hope they can all quickly educate themselves. If mask wearing was to be officially recommended (only after front line workers had enough stocks for their more critical needs), then an instructive communications program would also be required.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I bought some whilst in Thailand, and luckily for me, the pharmacist took the time to explain how to properly wear (N95 for 2*7 hour flights was a real challenge!). I also noticed (via TV) that many people in SE Asian nations immediately started wearing masks as soon as it became a major issue in their country.

You're right. I'm not saying everyone knows how to use properly (myself included) but what to do? Unlike SE Asia, western governments and citizens have been found totally uneducated and unprepared about a Corona virus pandemic.

I understand people in west being freaked out and wearing masks, albeit without proper education. Hope they can all quickly educate themselves. If mask wearing was to be officially recommended (only after front line workers had enough stocks for their more critical needs), then a massive communications program would also be required.
A lot of Asian countries suffered a lot with SARS and sort of developed a mask wearing culture out of it.

Masks are extremely uncomfortable to wear for more than a few minutes and it takes time to get used to them. I have a crazy P100 mask that I wear at the gun range as it gets a bit smoky indoors. It's soft TPE rubber. If I feel the need to wear a mask during this, it'll be that one as I can get a much better seal than with the standard masks.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Assuming countries flatten the curve, what then? If you just open up the countries again, the virus will more than likely return.

Unless you lockdown specific parts of the country and do what South korea does.

IMO it is going to be a long few months. We will still be dealing with this, in some shape or form come Winter i feel.