SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

YAMS49

What's the general rules on getting a test in the UK?

I've had a sore throat, slight fever, slight nausea & varying sense of taste for a few days now but no other symptoms at all really. Sleeping, working & eating all fine. Feels like a little bug I've caught. Is that worthy of a test?

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-coronavirus-vaccine-to-given-22951475

Allegedly vaccination programme to be started from December with over 85s and frontline staff

To be delivered by primary care. The GP magazine Pulse which allegedly broke this news that mirror and express are quoting has crashed
It takes a while to load and you need to register to get access to the full article.

They specify a vaccine DES (Directed Enhanced Service) which is basically a program for how a vaccine will be administered and the criteria for who should be administered and when. If this sort of information is supposedly coming out next week, then a vaccine must either be being close to being deemed safe and effective or is being approved for emergency use (most likely the latter).

DavidDeSchmikes

GPs to be put on standby in case vaccine rollout begins in December - report

Family doctors will be told to prepare for vaccinating over-85s and frontline health workers from early next month, according to GP magazine Pulse.

GPs will receive a "directed enhanced service" (DES) from next week setting out how they can deliver a service above their usual contract.

The two frontrunners in the development of a COVID-19 vaccine - BioNtech and the Oxford vaccine - have suggested clinical data could be sent to regulators within weeks.

A Department of Health spokesperson said: "While there are no certainties in the development, production, and timing of new vaccines, there is a possibility a COVID-19 vaccine could be available in the UK in the first part of 2021.

"It will only be rolled out once proven to be safe and effective through robust clinical trials and approved by medicines regulator the MHRA.

"Once approved, the NHS stands ready to begin the vaccination programme to those most at risk, before being rolled out more widely.

[Sky]

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I can't remember now if it was on here or elsewhere but I read someone in the NHS say they had been told to get the flu jab asap as a vaccine was imminent and that you need about a month between the two jabs?

Please feel free to delete this if neccessary and it is bollocks I'm not trying to derail or stir but I definitely read it somewhere.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It takes a while to load and you need to register to get access to the full article.

They specify a vaccine DES (Directed Enhanced Service) which is basically a program for how a vaccine will be administered and the criteria for who should be administered and when. If this sort of information is supposedly coming out next week, then a vaccine must either be being close to being deemed safe and effective or is being approved for emergency use (most likely the latter).
Definitely the latter. Would be fantastic news regardless. Even if only approved for emergency use there would still need to be solid evidence of efficacy (and short-term safety) It’s the long term safety that will be impossible to generate any time soon. Hence full approval impossible until well into next year.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I can't remember now if it was on here or elsewhere but I read someone in the NHS say they had been told to get the flu jab asap as a vaccine was imminent and that you need about a month between the two jabs?

Please feel free to delete this if neccessary and it is bollocks I'm not trying to derail or stir but I definitely read it somewhere.
Yes, it came up on here a couple of moths back:
Interesting bit of information in the weekly staff email today on vaccinations at the Health Board I work at. They’re telling staff to get the flu jab early because there likely needs to be a 4 week gap between taking the flu jab and then being able to take the COVID jab. Certainly talking like the expectation is a vaccine for front-line staff and shielding groups around November/December. Even said where they’re going to take place.
I don't think that was related to a specific vaccine, just to the broad principle that a vaccine could arrive within months and that getting a flu vaccine early couldn't be a disadvantage, but could be a big deal.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Saw my Mum for the last time before lockdown tonight. She was crying her eyes out as she left. she couldn’t even hug her grandchildren goodbye.

feck this virus.

Fluctuation0161

GPs to be put on standby in case vaccine rollout begins in December - report

Family doctors will be told to prepare for vaccinating over-85s and frontline health workers from early next month, according to GP magazine Pulse.

GPs will receive a "directed enhanced service" (DES) from next week setting out how they can deliver a service above their usual contract.

The two frontrunners in the development of a COVID-19 vaccine - BioNtech and the Oxford vaccine - have suggested clinical data could be sent to regulators within weeks.

A Department of Health spokesperson said: "While there are no certainties in the development, production, and timing of new vaccines, there is a possibility a COVID-19 vaccine could be available in the UK in the first part of 2021.

"It will only be rolled out once proven to be safe and effective through robust clinical trials and approved by medicines regulator the MHRA.

"Once approved, the NHS stands ready to begin the vaccination programme to those most at risk, before being rolled out more widely.

[Sky]
They need to prepare the process, it is a big project to roll out this vaccine. So this is a positive sign and good preparation.

But, personally I don't think they will actually have the vaccine ready in December.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I belong to a group of about 500 walkers and heard of what might be our first positive case today. We all live in high risk Lancashire and Greater Manchester. Maybe prolonged exposure to mud and rain is good for you.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Numbers in Ireland continue to fall:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Yes, it came up on here a couple of moths back:

I don't think that was related to a specific vaccine, just to the broad principle that a vaccine could arrive within months and that getting a flu vaccine early couldn't be a disadvantage, but could be a big deal.
So a few weeks after I posted that I was drafted onto the immunisation project. We expect 2 vaccines will be available early January. Care homes, Front-line health and social care staff, then over 85s down to over 50s are the priority lists. The rest will be done by primary care/privately I assume if people wish to have it. It lines up with what’s been said by Boris/others recently so nothing new in that information - that’s what we’ve been working toward since October though.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I've stayed away from this page and COVID numbers as of late and just cracked on with work.
I had two patients, literally bed-neighbours, die within 2 minutes of each other today. Absolutely terrible. We were trying to help the first one, despite her being on maximal treatment (OptiFlow), and could see the gentleman next to her visibly entering the stages of dying in our eyes. Literally nothing we can do.

It's truly heartbreaking even after all these months. It's draining, and I'm absolutely shattered from those people who still don't take it seriously or those who say that "the government are releasing false numbers" or "ThEy pUt COVID oN the dEaTh cErtiFicAte even though they died of something else".

That is absolutely bollocks. In my 5 years of working as a doctor, I've completed more death certificates in the last 8 months than I have in the first 4 years of working combined - and not once have I put the words of COVID down unless that's the thing that's killed them.

I'm dreading the winter pressures already - our hospital is already beyond full capacity and the daily recording released the information that we have 102 COVID patients admitted at present. Granted, a certain percentage are asymptomatic who happen to have it along with another issue - but I'll tell you what - I'd love to see one of those patients round about now because I don't see them.

I completely understand that from a non-medical point of view, this is infuriating/terrible in a different manner to mine. Some people can't even work because of this. I couldn't imagine not working during the last few months. Staying at home with feck all to do for weeks intermittently sounds very shit.

Unfortunately, until a vaccine comes, people are going to have to accept this as a way of living for the time being.
Seeing a 50 and 60 odd year old dying today - with barely a medical co-morbidity to their name - is a daily reminder that it isn't a poxy virus.
I'm scared shitless for my parents. I don't want to see them just in case I manage to bring it to them on a strand of my hair.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I've stayed away from this page and COVID numbers as of late and just cracked on with work.
I had two patients, literally bed-neighbours, die within 2 minutes of each other today. Absolutely terrible. We were trying to help the first one, despite her being on maximal treatment (OptiFlow), and could see the gentleman next to her visibly entering the stages of dying in our eyes. Literally nothing we can do.

It's truly heartbreaking even after all these months. It's draining, and I'm absolutely shattered from those people who still don't take it seriously or those who say that "the government are releasing false numbers" or "ThEy pUt COVID oN the dEaTh cErtiFicAte even though they died of something else".

That is absolutely bollocks. In my 5 years of working as a doctor, I've completed more death certificates in the last 8 months than I have in the first 4 years of working combined - and not once have I put the words of COVID down unless that's the thing that's killed them.

I'm dreading the winter pressures already - our hospital is already beyond full capacity and the daily recording released the information that we have 102 COVID patients admitted at present. Granted, a certain percentage are asymptomatic who happen to have it along with another issue - but I'll tell you what - I'd love to see one of those patients round about now because I don't see them.

I completely understand that from a non-medical point of view, this is infuriating/terrible in a different manner to mine. Some people can't even work because of this. I couldn't imagine not working during the last few months. Staying at home with feck all to do for weeks intermittently sounds very shit.

Unfortunately, until a vaccine comes, people are going to have to accept this as a way of living for the time being.
Seeing a 50 and 60 odd year old dying today - with barely a medical co-morbidity to their name - is a daily reminder that it isn't a poxy virus.
I'm scared shitless for my parents. I don't want to see them just in case I manage to bring it to them on a strand of my hair.
Ah, hell - that's a tough read. I hope you and your family stay well and the vaccine does what we're all hoping it can do. Meanwhile, stay strong and all the best.

djembatheking

Thanks for posting , it must be hard to do but is a stark reminder about what is really going on. Look after yourself, stay strong and stay well.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Im in exactly the same boat mate.
I have literally just come here to ask if an office can be legitimately classed as 'Covid secure'

My boss wants everyone in the office as productivity suffers 15% at home.

Boris said to work from home if we can, and we can. He did not say to work from home unless your office is covid secure!?!? Is that even a thing?
What your boss wants doesn't matter

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Stay strong mate. People like you are bloody heroes.

fergosaurus

Appreciate you taking the time to write this and for the great work you're doing. Very sobering post but one that's very important to hear.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Heart goes out to you chap, the work you guys are doing is just beyond what anyone could ever expect of you, thank you.
Thanks mate. I’m sure there are millions going through the same thing at the moment.
True enough mate, feel free to drop me a message if you need a chat or just to vent though.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
My friend's wife is in intensive care as she gave premature birth last week and got infected while being very weak. She's been in coma since last week and it's looking very grim. I'm devastated, praying she pulls through. She's 30. Two kids. Feels like I was drunk at their wedding yesterday. :(

We are also going into harder lockdown and idiots are once again on the streets protesting against plandemic. We are at 24k cases per day, if we go to 30k we will be in hard lockdown.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Have heard it from a source that is actively working on a vaccine that it will be ready for December, possibly at the end of this month.

The newspaper headlines are true, and barring any last minute hitches, NHS front line workers will get the vaccine.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
That’s disgraceful! This government have so much to answer for, as well as those morons who have carried in as normal.

Also who are the 38 morons voting against the restrictions today?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That’s disgraceful! This government have so much to answer for, as well as those morons who have carried in as normal.

Also who are the 38 morons voting against the restrictions today?
Couldn't agree with you more. Let us remember that 42 days ago when the scientists called for a Circuit Breaker of two to three weeks, the deaths were 11.
Most incompetent government and PM in history.