SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Castia

Tier system is a joke if they just keep adding a new tier every week.....pointless.

DavelinaJolie

If it's tier 5 then it's not a lockdown. My understanding of the tier system is that they adjust it a bit more and call it a new tier so they can look pro-active. If they call tier 5 a lockdown, then they've topped out, nowhere to go from there.

Superunknown

I'm lost as to what's going on now. I work in a school and we were just in today for inset/preparing for tomorrow. It's the constant chopping and changing which is driving us around the bend. On top of it all, one of the members of my department has fractured their skull after a nasty fall over the Christmas break, so I'm organising work for their class. Things like that happen in life, but this incompetent Government just take the absolute piss.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Latest in NI:

"Medical experts believe". What a strange characterisation.

Using the date the tests were conducted (rather than the date reported), we've had over 1,200 cases every day since the 27th. That includes up to yesterday, where we already have 1,368 cases with presumably hundreds more still be reported. Even in our worst period in October we didn't go over 1,200 cases once. And on the 29th and 30th December we had over 2,300 cases, double what we've had in any single day before. And hospitals were already at 100% capacity at the beginning of December.

Even though it was inevitable, I find it bizarre people consciously chose to push the hospitals past the brink for a couple of days.
This medical “expert” believes you could see this coming a fecking mile off. They’ve never even come close to getting on top of the virus in the north. Going back months and months.

I’m genuinely curious as to why it’s been such an absolute shit show. You’d almost feel it couldn’t be any worse with deliberate sabotage.

F-Red

If it's tier 5 then it's not a lockdown. My understanding of the tier system is that they adjust it a bit more and call it a new tier so they can look pro-active. If they call tier 5 a lockdown, then they've toppled out, nowhere to go from there.
This is about par for the course, there won't be another 'lockdown' that people are talking about from March/April again as they will keep businesses open for those that cannot work from home, we'll see further tiers imposed, each removing further restrictions.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If it's tier 5 then it's not a lockdown. My understanding of the tier system is that they adjust it a bit more and call it a new tier so they can look pro-active. If they call tier 5 a lockdown, then they've topped out, nowhere to go from there.
Sky are reporting Alert level 5 it’s separate from the Tier system mate. This will be a full national lockdown.

Mihai

Bit of a wild generalisation that. Really wild actually. Just because plenty of people want borders closed for a bit doesn't mean they're little England loving no passport having morons, which is what it seems you're implying.
Agree with this. As an immigrant myself, I have several friends who traveled back and forth since march and pretty much neglected the quarantine measures both in UK and abroad.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why does he have to wait until 8 o'clock to announce this?
I doubt he knows the details of what he’s announcing yet. On the phone to the corporate lobbyists as we speak negotiating what he’s allows to do.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
This medical “expert” believes you could see this coming a fecking mile off. They’ve never even come close to getting on top of the virus in the north. Going back months and months.

I’m genuinely curious as to why it’s been such an absolute shit show. You’d almost feel it couldn’t be any worse with deliberate sabotage.
Yeah I’m not really sure myself. There is a correlation between economic deprivation and effectiveness of the restrictions, in part because desperate people are less likely to adhere and in part because the kinds of jobs and lifestyles that come with deprivation make them less successful. NI isn’t off to a good start there, relatively speaking. Then willingness to follow the government restrictions obviously directly follows on from a belief in the legitimacy and competence of the government, which again NI was in a poor position prior to the pandemic.

Back in the spring my family in Belfast were talking about it like it was a London thing, it’s those tiny flats, crowded tubes, mad crowds on the streets that are causing it, things are good here because we don’t face any of those problems. When that myth was busted in October I didn’t see much change. People don’t social distance here, masks are worn as little as possible, children’s parties are still a good idea and meeting your mates is fine as long as you don’t stop off to see anyone else en route. If you don’t have anyone to believe then why believe anything at all, do what you feel is right and things will probably work themselves out, and if it doesn’t work out, it wasn’t meant to be.

Superunknown

I doubt he knows the details of what he’s announcing yet. On the phone to the corporate lobbyists as we speak negotiating what he’s allows to do.
This wouldn't be surprising.

Presumably to be in prime-time slot to reach the most viewers possible.
I can get part of that. But, this would be repeated on the news every hour anyway. Plus, if it is something dramatic like school closures, then it's just giving schools less time to react rather than doing it much earlier in the day (e.g. at around noon) or...even days earlier. The last minute nature of these changes is infuriating.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah I’m not really sure myself. There is a correlation between economic deprivation and effectiveness of the restrictions, in part because desperate people are less likely to adhere and in part because the kinds of jobs and lifestyles that come with deprivation make them less successful. NI isn’t off to a good start there, relatively speaking. Then willingness to follow the government restrictions obviously directly follows on from a belief in the legitimacy and competence of the government, which again NI was in a poor position prior to the pandemic.

Back in the spring my family in Belfast were talking about it like it was a London thing, it’s those tiny flats, crowded tubes, mad crowds on the streets that are causing it, things are good here because we don’t face any of those problems. When that myth was busted in October I didn’t see much change. People don’t social distance here, masks are worn as little as possible, children’s parties are still a good idea and meeting your mates is fine as long as you don’t stop off to see anyone else en route. If you don’t have anyone to believe then why believe anything at all, do what you feel is right and things will probably work themselves out, and if it doesn’t work out, it wasn’t meant to be.
Huh. Interesting. Interesting and depressing. Mad the way all the border counties down south seem to be following suit. It’s a madness that doesn’t comply with borders, evidently.

You wonder if generations of dealing with what seems like arbitrary and unfair regulations on their movement make people more likely to assume that the current restrictions are arbitrary and unfair? (even subconsciously!)

Fully Fledged

Boris is speaking at 8- surely we need to have full lock down?

Probably yet more tiers and to reitterate "schools are safe..."
I don't think tiers work as far too many people can't be bothered to check what tier they are in or what being in tier 4 actually means. You tell them the whole country is in total lockdown they can't pretend to not understand what that means.

Fluctuation0161

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext

60.3% efficacy with a 12 week gap, considering the large percentage of the population will receive the AstraZeneca vaccine, and with supply hitting critical mass in 12 weeks, the decision by the JCVI to prioritise the first shot roll out to assist in the hospital pressures the right one. Which will have a greater impact than any lockdown that people want to talk about.

The Pfizer one is an unknown, however the JCVI wouldn’t have started conversations on single dose administration back in July, if they didn’t have a degree in confidence of its efficacy.
Thanks. So 60% effective if a 12 week gap. As a pose to ~95% with a 2-3 week gap?

Fluctuation0161

Yes

On a related note I came across a loon on FB claiming that covid doesn't exist because the PCR doesn't provide a measure of viral load or some such nonsense.
I can understand people having concerns about many aspects of what is unprecedented government and public action in terms of Covid. But to deny it exists seems quite the stretch!

United Hobbit

Unless they are watching the Southampton/Liverpool game.
Urgh don't remind me that will be on in this house as my boyfriend supports them, the commentary about them is sickening, the sooner they lose this unbeaten run at Anfield, the better- hopefully its to us!

Anyhow, I think they need to go full lockdown for longer than 2 weeks

@Superunknown, I work for a multi academy Trust that has multiple schools and the guidance is so hard to keep up with, also a nightmare for teachers/ headteachers- what type of lessons do you plan- online or face to face. I agree vulnerable children are probably safer in school, and I'd imagine schools have lists of them, so can make sure they are in/ kept an eye on in the event of a school closure

Think people will kick off if they now shut them, after opening for a day then perhaps deciding against the fact "schools are safe" the post Christmas mixing has now had a day to circulate..

Seen multiple people on my Facebook/ on the local newspaper Facebook saying they aren't sending theirs in.

I think what isn't helping is some tier 4 schools are open, others aren't, so it's more open to debate, plus we have this new variant

Fluctuation0161

Think a lot of schools are trying to get their kids laptops, but so will every school on the planet, the demand is outgrowing the supply. It takes time.
It does take time. But we have had time. It also takes competent leaders with an effective strategy, which we are in short supply of at Westminster unfortunately.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
BBC 17:24
PM expected to announce measures similar to March
Laura Kuenssberg-Political editor

The prime minister is expected to announce a set of new national restrictions for England at 20:00 GMT, similar to the national lockdown in March, that he is likely to urge the public to follow from midnight.
It’s expected that people will be told to work from home unless they are a key worker, or it is not possible for them to do so, for example if they work on a construction site.
Schools will close again for most pupils.
It is not yet clear when the measures will be reviewed, but MPs are likely to be given a vote to approve them retrospectively on Wednesday.
This comes after the rapid rises in coronavirus cases and admissions to the NHS.
And after the Joint Biosecurity Centre raised the alert from the pandemic to level five tonight, which means the NHS is at risk from being overwhelmed and that a national lockdown is imminent.
It is also understood that the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Chris Whitty, told the prime minister the new more infectious variant of coronavirus is spreading now throughout the country.

Fluctuation0161

bbc 17:24

Laura Kuenssberg
Political editor

The prime minister is expected to announce a set of new national restrictions for England at 20:00 GMT, similar to the national lockdown in March, that he is likely to urge the public to follow from midnight.
It’s expected that people will be told to work from home unless they are a key worker, or it is not possible for them to do so, for example if they work on a construction site.
It is not yet clear when the measures will be reviewed, but MPs are likely to be given a vote to approve them retrospectively on Wednesday.
This comes after the rapid rises in coronavirus cases and admissions to the NHS.
And after the Joint Biosecurity Centre raised the alert from the pandemic to level five tonight, which means the NHS is at risk from being overwhelmed and that a national lockdown is imminent.
It is also understood that the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Chris Whitty, told the prime minister the new more infectious variant of coronavirus is spreading now throughout the country.
Leaked again. FFS.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
PCR tests aren't 100% reliable enough and even when they do work correctly you can still test positive days later. Even with 14 days quarantine under police guard we have had a few outbreaks. The latest resulting in nearly 200 cases, mainly in NSW which has resulted in state borders being closed and mask wearing being made compulsory.

So there is no chance for international borders opening anywhere near normally until late 2021.

In my son's case he could come home if he was lucky enough to get a flight/place in quarantine and we wanted to afford the flight and quarantine costs - likely about $6000 - but then he might not get out again (at additional cost) and his scholarship depends on him being able to play his sport. We miss him but in the scheme of things it isn't that bad.
Thanks for the reply.

acnumber9

And we actually did quite well during the first wave. Which was clearly down to good fortune.

United Hobbit

bbc 17:24

Laura Kuenssberg
Political editor

Wonder if it's spreading throughout the country due to all those people "fleeing" London on those packed trains/ platforms as soon as they announced it was going tier 4....

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
BBC 17:24
Laura Kuenssberg-Political editor

@Pexbo

F-Red

Yes Pfizer. I can't recall where. But have found it again here: 95% effective after second dose?

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4826#:~:text=The study, published in the,cases in the placebo group.
Yep, in relation to the comparison though, most will get the AZ vaccine just because of the storage requirements ie. stored in a normal fridge, where Pfizer needs -70 degree storage before it's opened. So the approach of one dose on AZ now and 12 weeks later makes the most sense to me given that it'll be the critical mass vaccine.