SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Baxter

Just had the guidance in from my work. We’ve been on splits 50% of the week (MWF one week, TT the next) at home and in the office. Sales can do our work at home with Ring Central and teams but they’re insisting on us continuing this. Meanwhile management staff are WFH and the business development team. Absolutely mental. Issued us a letter to say we ‘absolutely cannot work from home’ yet we are 50% of the time anyways. With the numbers higher than ever, and coming off Christmas and New Year and the inevitable mixing I think it’s ridiculous.

Tibs

My bad its Alert level 5, not Tier 5 as per BBC report above

lilcurt

Just think how many lives would have been saved if we'd just done this in December and none of the christmas rubbish, like we should have.
This!

It's.not even hindsight, it was as obvious then as it is now. I honestly think that when the dust settles and we look back on this in a few years a number of politicians need to face charges of gross negligence, they have exchanged lives to try and remain popular.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I think pretty much all polling I've seen throughout the crisis has seen a heavy lean towards being in favour of lockdown measures.

F-Red

I think pretty much all polling I've seen throughout the crisis has seen a heavy lean towards being in favour of lockdown measures.
I'd be intrigued to see that poll run again but asking who of those 79% visited/mixed with a different household on Christmas Day.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Just think how many lives would have been saved if we'd just done this in December and none of the christmas rubbish, like we should have.
Just think how many lives could have been saved of they'd treated having a >1.0 R number as a problem in July, August, September and October

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Wonder if it's spreading throughout the country due to all those people "fleeing" London on those packed trains/ platforms as soon as they announced it was going tier 4....
We'll never really know how much of it was driven by spread via transport and how much of it was driven by community spread, but we know it was already all around the country before then, just in smaller numbers. The thing that worried the public health experts was that it went from being a small proportion of cases to almost half of all cases in the East, South East and London in a relatively short period of time, and that was with more restrictions in place. So while it's completely implausible that new cases weren't brought into Manchester from London on those trains, it's equally implausible that people in Manchester wouldn't have spread it around the community during Christmas anyway.

It's totally plausible that they've got new data that confirms the new strain is dangerously widespread, but it'd be absurd to explain a sweeping change in policy based on that one piece of entirely predictable eviendence. I really wonder what his advisors were thinking before Boris' interview yesterday because he was especially useless for most of it, and they surely must have known there was a risk of mixed messaging taken to a new level...

Acole9

Outstanding
I'd be intrigued to see that poll run again but asking who of those 79% visited/mixed with a different household on Christmas Day.
Yep, I was saying to my Mrs earlier on how much of allowing the visiting and mixing has caused the rise in infections.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It’s a joke, all my mates have been embarassing throughout this, mixing with each other heavily and are now the same people are demanding it all gets locked down? Of course they want to be furloughed again too...

Last edited:

acnumber9

Look at the state of that answer. Schools are safe, the problem is when there are people in them. We’re expected to believe anything this cnut says.

acnumber9

Yep, I was saying to my Mrs earlier on how much of allowing the visiting and mixing has caused the rise in infections.
That rise happened before Christmas. We’ll surely only see that rise in the next week.

TheReligion

Abusive
So another lockdown. Hopefully it has an end date we can focus on.

Also does everyone mind not being dicks and having protests, raves and large gatherings? My jobs hard enough without making it even more difficult and creating more risks.

Cheers.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
And we actually did quite well during the first wave. Which was clearly down to good fortune.
Yeah, luck definitely played a bigger part in the first wave than was believed at the time. See also places like the Czech Republic getting so much praised for masks etc then absolutely decimated when they got hit with a proper surge.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
So another lockdown. Hopefully it has an end date we can focus on.

Also does everyone mind not being dicks and having protests, raves and large gatherings? My jobs hard enough without making it even more difficult and creating more risks.

Cheers.
What do you propose as an alternative to protesting if you believe the government is endangering the public through its mismanagement of the situation, and you believe the situation will not resolve itself until the government is given a clear message directly from the public that it’s no longer tolerable?

acnumber9

Yeah, luck definitely played a bigger part in the first wave than was believed at the time. See also places like the Czech Republic getting so much praised for masks etc then absolutely decimated when they got hit with a proper surge.
We had quite decent weather in April/May as well so it was altogether easier to just sit in the garden and wait it out. We’re going to really struggle through this winter but we need to go back to the relatively easy things we were doing before. If people won’t distance properly in the supermarkets, and in my experience they won’t, then they need to be restricting the numbers again. Waiting outside is shit but it’s not going to kill anyone. Aside from closing schools, we’re running low on any other options.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Look at the state of that answer. Schools are safe, the problem is when there are people in them. We’re expected to believe anything this cnut says.
Crisis management 101, communicate clearly - and here's this guy talking like a Day Today character during a pandemic. Honestly, when this is over we need a drastic rethink about how we decide who gets to govern this country as electing the most conveniently placed toff has been disastrous since the Tories got back into power.

acnumber9

Crisis management 101, communicate clearly - and here's this guy talking like a Day Today character during a pandemic. Honestly, when this is over we need a drastic rethink about how we decide who gets to govern this country as electing the most conveniently placed toff has been disastrous since the Tories got back into power.
Difficult to see how we get rid of them. Labour have been screwed since they lost Scotland.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
What do you propose as an alternative to protesting if you believe the government is endangering the public through its mismanagement of the situation, and you believe the situation will not resolve itself until the government is given a clear message directly from the public that it’s no longer tolerable?
Yes, down with that sort of thing.

Might there not be a problem with protestors who want exactly the opposite 'solution' to each other?

Flying high

Difficult to see how we get rid of them. Labour have been screwed since they lost Scotland.
The whole system seems to be setup perfectly for the tories. The more damage they do in westminster, the more votes labour loses from the colonies, sorry, Scotland and Wales.

TheReligion

Abusive
Preferably not hundreds, maybe thousands, of folk randomly marching through the city and fighting with me and my colleagues.

A legitimate planned socially distanced protest with a start and end time sure. Go ahead .

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
That and the loss of Labour voters over Brexit has fecked us. Moving to Scotland is already appealing but I'd happily walk there if they ever decided to cut themselves adrift of this basket case of a government.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I feel like I'm never going to end up getting my driving licence at this rate. :lol: Frustrating but if it's needed, it is needed. Super grateful that I still have a job and can focus on that.

lilcurt

From a purely selfish point of view I hope you can still move home. I am due to move later this month. With that said we need to get a handle on this so what will be will be.

TheReligion

Abusive
From a purely selfish point of view I hope you can still move home. I am due to move later this month. With that said we need to get a handle on this so what will be will be.
I think you'll be able to move but it's the other stuff you need to do around it that's a pain in the arse.

stubie

Tier 5 means Maldini and Baresi will be defending your front door!

acnumber9

That and the loss of Labour voters over Brexit has fecked us. Moving to Scotland is already appealing but I'd happily walk there if they ever decided to cut themselves adrift of this basket case of a government.
You would hope they could gain some of that back once people see how Brexit pans out and can see they were lied to.