SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

mitChley

Just had a notification on the NHS app that I have to isolate for 4 days. Does that mean someone tested positive 6 days ago and only just entered the result?
I believe so, I had the same Christmas week but it was for only three days.

Fluctuation0161

I don't think a virus has a political leaning, as much as you would like it to.
Strange post from you.

For the reasons clearly outlined in my post. Politics and government decisions have had a massive impact on how each country has dealt with the virus.

Every single action we can take to reduce spread of the virus is made at a political level. Maybe you need to look at how the UK is doing in comparison with other European countries...

Anustart89

Strange post from you.

For the reasons clearly outlined in my post. Politics and government decisions have had a massive impact on how each country has dealt with the virus.

Every single action we can take to reduce spread of the virus is made at a political level. Maybe you need to look at how the UK is doing in comparison with other European countries...
Not sure what point you're making. Are you suggesting that right-leaning governments are less likely to put restrictions in than left-of-centre governments? Genuine question.

Sweden is doing absolutely terrible with the left-leaning government still refusing to put in any meaningful restrictions with health services already overwhelmed. After nine months, they're finally recommending masks for commuters during peak hours as of Thursday.

massi83

Not sure what point you're making. Are you suggesting that right-leaning governments are less likely to put restrictions in than left-of-centre governments? Genuine question.

Sweden is doing absolutely terrible with the left-leaning government still refusing to put in any meaningful restrictions with health services already overwhelmed. After nine months, they're finally recommending masks for commuters during peak hours as of Thursday.
That's because of Tegnell not the government.

finneh

Strange post from you.

Not as poorly as you'd think:

F-Red

Strange post from you.

The death and infection rate has everything to do with policy. A virus mutating has nothing to do with policy. Your post was inferring that the mutation is down to politics, which it isn't.

arnie_ni

NI writing their “stay at home” order into law so that it can be enforced
Have you seen any clarification on the "work form home unless you can't work from home"?

I work in an accountants with the tax deadline at the end of the month and there's no chance we are allowed to work from home or we won't get all the work done.

Does that qualify as can't work from home?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Have you seen any clarification on the "work form home unless you can't work from home"?

I work in an accountants with the tax deadline at the end of the month and there's no chance we are allowed to work from home or we won't get all the work done.

Does that qualify as can't work from home?
Sorry no idea, just a snippet I heard earlier

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I’m interested to hear opinions on this.

I work for a manufacturing company in the offices. It’s impossible for the factory workers to WFH but easy for the office staff, we’ve done it for months on end or week on/week off over the past year so there’s no question on viability. The CEO announced today that all staff were expected to be on site because it was a ‘safe site’, we’ve put some hand sanitizer stations around and spaced the desks out basically. People also get temp checked on arrival.
I’m a bit startled by the insistence to work on site. It’s strange because I actually prefer going into the office to work but I can’t help thinking if there’s an outbreak in the offices and people get seriously ill that the company’s on some tricky legal footing for forcing people in.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I work for a manufacturing company in the offices. It’s impossible for the factory workers to WFH but easy for the office staff, we’ve done it for months on end or week on/week off over the past year so there’s no question on viability. The CEO announced today that all staff were expected to be on site because it was a ‘safe site’, we’ve put some hand sanitizer stations around and spaced the desks out basically. People also get temp checked on arrival.
I’m a bit startled by the insistence to work on site. It’s strange because I actually prefer going into the office to work but I can’t help thinking if there’s an outbreak in the offices and people get seriously ill that the company’s on some tricky legal footing for forcing people in.
If nothing else, it’s unbelievably strange timing to announce a move back into the office having functioned ok working from home. What is he/she thinking?!?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
If nothing else, it’s unbelievably strange timing to announce a move back into the office having functioned ok working from home. What is he/she thinking?!?
It’s bizarre. We’ve been on a week in/week out basis (though I’ve been in most of the time) for a while. I get that whilst the official threat level is low-ish. But that changes when the order is to stay at home. Seems crazy timing....the only thing I can think of is that it causes less discontent in the factory if the offices are dragged in as well

F-Red

Odd considering the message is very clear to work from home if you can. What has your line manager said (if you don't report into the CEO)?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Does anyone believe covid has ruined a whole generation? I think we, who lived through the outbreak, will be affected until the end of our lives. Be it mentally, physically or economically. I think our lives ended in 2019, the way we once liked them. Previously id laugh it off, but I now do truly believe that covid has changed the world forever.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

This is the kind of thing that is making the virus worse. We can only blame Boris so much, but its this mentality that really set us back recently.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Does anyone believe covid has ruined a whole generation? I think we, who lived through the outbreak, will be affected until the end of our lives. Be it mentally, physically or economically. I think our lives ended in 2019, the way we once liked them. Previously id laugh it off, but I now do truly believe that covid has changed the world forever.
Ruined? No. Long-term negative effects? Yes, and disproportionately impacting the poor.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Odd considering the message is very clear to work from home if you can. What has your line manager said (if you don't report into the CEO)?
My line manager, who’s pretty senior himself and normally tows the party line, is equally as bemused.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I disagree.

My optimism comes from the vaccins. It may take a while to get rid of Covid and its consequences but affected until the end of our lives? I don't think so.

gormless

Nah. Flu is still kicking around, and they had the roaring twenties right after that pandemic. It just seems shit now. Really really really shit, yeah, but we’ll come through this. Every generation thinks their time is the most important. There has been pandemics before and honestly COVID has been tame compared to previous ones. They bounced back then, we will do the same.

Camilo

Everything that happens affects the world, this will be no different. No big deal really, just a bit of a pain for a year or two. It's hardly a war now is it..

Watch as everyone immediately returns to normal

Fluctuation0161

Not about left or right. Just competence. I suspect Camerons government or even Theresa Mays would have managed this pandemic much better. I dislike both but they are more than just bluster.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
To an extent but it'll be determined by people's individualism. It seems like the desire to maintain a status quo - look how many were still out shopping at Christmas - is still too much to say the whole country has changed exponentially over this time. I do know some people though who've developed a lot of anxiety and I don't think they'll adjust back immediately.

Economically is a different story. I think 2020 grads and the long-term unemployed will fair poorly and they'll be competing with those of us who've been lucky enough to keep our jobs during this time. I hope the government do something about the training scheme initiatives they mentioned last year because they could be a huge positive longer-term.

Good question too.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

For a significant number of children and economically vulnerable people yes. On a personal level I don't see it making much difference to my outlook.

lynchie

The thing is, the government say work at home if you can, but there's no actual requirement to prove that a job can't be done at home, so loads of employers are going to force people into work because basically they don't trust them to work from home. It's one of the many ways the government can wash their hands of any responsibility, while putting company profits ahead of public health.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Don't know if this is the right thread to ask this so feel free to move it if not. I'm thinking of booking a flight to Rome late May/early June and there's some flights currently available for £20-40.

For that price would you say the risk (things not improving enough to go, unable to go because it's my time for the vaccine) outweighs the rewards (got a cheap flight safely booked when most have likely skyrocketed due to demand)?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Don't know if this is the right thread to ask this so feel free to move it if not. I'm thinking of booking a flight to Rome late May/early June and there's some flights currently available for £20-40.

For that price would you say the risk (things not improving enough to go, unable to go because it's my time for the vaccine) outweighs the rewards (got a cheap flight safely booked when most have likely skyrocketed due to demand)?
I mean, it’s £20-40, surely you’re the best one to judge if you can afford to lose that?

Kaos

For that price I'd say its worth the risk.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll

#winning
Why have we shot up so much? Is it purely the Christmas that did it? I can't imagine that we did that much more mixing than the rest of Europe?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why have we shot up so much? Is it purely the Christmas that did it? I can't imagine that we did that much more mixing than the rest of Europe?
Christmas and the run up. We obviously lost our minds in mid December and went on a massive collective piss-up. Collective piss-ups being something we’ve always been better at than most Europeans.

Living up to Irish stereotypes aside, most Euroean countries had tighter restrictions in the lead up to Christmas. Mainly because they hadn’t been as effective as we were at getting them down in November. What we’re going through now is a massive rebound surge.

Fluctuation0161

Pretty poorly considering the UK have the highest total number of Covid deaths in Europe and the highest number of covid cases of any country in the World over the last 2 weeks, apart from the USA. We are in a steep ascent, unfortunately.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...es-have-the-most-coronavirus-cases-and-deaths

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Pretty poorly considering the UK have the highest total number of Covid deaths in Europe and the highest number of covid cases of any country in the World over the last 2 weeks, apart from the USA. We are in a steep ascent, unfortunately.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...es-have-the-most-coronavirus-cases-and-deaths
Indeed:
UK: 625k new cases in the last 2 weeks
Germany: 210k
Italy: 190k
France: 170k
Spain: 140k

But we need the number of tests undertaken to give a sense to these data.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Oh god, think I'd rather have Gove and that's saying something!
Tories strategically need to get Johnson out before inquiry seriously starts you'd think which I'm guessing will be mid to late 2022. New guy can just say he wasn't the one making the decisions even though Rishi Sunak or Gove have been at heart of decisions pretty much in last six months.

Kind of hoping inquiry goes into 2023 as then it will all still be in people's minds for the election the next year.