SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Tibs

47k new cases
1564 deaths - highest single day deaths ever

R rate is between 1.0 and 1.4

from Sky News

Anyone getting a little annoyed by Mid-Feb date being used a lot. When we get closer to it, a lot of people will think restrictions are about to release and the Government will be inviting more pressure onto them to relax some rules imo.

Last edited:

Balljy

47k new cases

from Sky News

Anyone getting a little annoyed by Mid-Feb date being used a lot. When we get closer to it, a lot of people will think restrictions are about to release and the Government will be inviting more pressure onto them to relax some rules imo.
I'm a bit confused how the R rate has been constantly above 1 for the last few weeks yet new cases show the first signs of falling due (I'm hoping) to the newest lockdown procedures. Surely a rate higher than 1 would signify no reduction in cases whatsoever theoretically?

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Does anyone else think it's still busy on the roads, despite the stay at home advice?

EvilChuck

47k new cases

from Sky News

Classic case of this Government over promising and under delivering, and then wondering why people arent paying much attention to their restrictions. They dig their own holes at every step, which then loses them credibility when they say something that actually is important.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Does anyone else think it's still busy on the roads, despite the stay at home advice?
Yep, there is a mcdonalds drive through next door to me, and every single evening about 5ish the main road is blocked with cars trying to get in there.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Wait. there is a new variant? What happened to the SA variant?
Still there, of the three it's still considered the worst as it's believed to be more infectious like the UK's, and like Brazil's it has changes to the structure that associated with vaccination issues. So far the lab experiments seem to suggest that the current vaccines work fine even against those strains, so they're mostly theoretical concerns, while PHE are downgrading their estimates for the increased infectiousness of this new strain yet again, this time to 0.3 - 0.5. No catastrophes, just concerns to monitor and understand. We're actually fortunate to have discovered these three meaningful mutations in such a short period of time. You'd expect there to be mutations in e.g. the US that people just haven't noticed yet, because they're doing so much less genetic testing and their public health resources are occupied with other things.
That is why, when the World Health Organization working group saw the first data on the variant circulating in South Africa on Dec. 4, everyone took notice.

“Your next question immediately is: Can the vaccines still protect us if we get viruses with these mutations?” said Dr. Koopmans, who was in the meeting.

For now, the answer seems to be yes, said Jesse Bloom, an evolutionary biologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. Dr. Koopmans agrees.

The variants that have emerged in South Africa and Brazil are a particular threat to immunization efforts, because both contain a mutation associated with a drop in the efficacy of vaccines. In one experiment, designed to identify the worst-case scenario, Dr. Bloom’s team analyzed 4,000 mutations, looking for those that would render vaccines useless. The mutation present in the variants from both Brazil and South Africa proved to have the biggest impact.

Still, every sample of serum in the study neutralized the virus, regardless of its mutations, Dr. Bloom said, adding that it would take a few more years before the vaccines need to be tweaked.

“There should be plenty of time where we can be prospective, identify these mutations, and probably update the vaccines in time.”
Britain has one of the most aggressive surveillance regimens, analyzing up to 10 percent of samples that test positive for the virus. But few countries have such robust systems in place. The United States sequences less than 1 percent of its positive samples. And others cannot hope to afford the equipment or build such networks in time for this pandemic.

In Brazil, labs that had redirected their attention from Zika to the coronavirus had discovered a worrisome mutation there as early as this spring. But little is known about the variants circulating in the country, or how quickly they are spreading.

“We just don’t know because no one is either sequencing or sharing the data,” said Dr. Nuno Faria at Imperial College and Oxford University, who coordinates genomic sequencing projects with colleagues in Brazil. “Genomic surveillance is expensive.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/world/europe/coronavirus-mutations.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The Japanese health ministry are downplaying the variant at the moment but it is a troubling coincidence that they've detected this variant at the same time they see another spike in cases.

A new coronavirus variant has been detected in four travelers from Brazil's Amazonas state, Japan's Health Ministry said on Sunday, in the latest instance the pandemic virus is evolving.

A ministry official said studies were underway into the efficacy of vaccines against the new variant, which differs from highly-infectious variants first found in Britain and South Africa that have driven a surge in cases.

"At the moment, there is no proof showing the new variant found in those from Brazil is high in infectiousness," Takaji Wakita, head of the National Institute of Infectious Diseases, told a health ministry briefing.

Of the four travelers who arrived at Tokyo's Haneda airport on Jan. 2, a man in his forties had a problem breathing, a woman in her thirties had a headache and sore throat and a man in his teens had a fever, while a woman in her teens showed no symptoms, the health ministry said.

After seeing a steep rise in coronavirus cases, Japan declared a state of emergency for Tokyo and three prefectures neighboring the capital on Thursday.

Nationwide cases have totaled about 289,000, with 4,061 deaths, public broadcaster NHK said.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...nt-found-travelers-brazil-japan-says-n1253655

Wait. there is a new variant? What happened to the SA variant?
There are thousands. Viruses mutate all the time, and the 'best' ones take over. There are a handful that cause concern, the UK, SA and now this Brazilian one being the current focuses. There will certainly be others still to come but it would take something unusual for one to defeat the vaccine.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There are thousands. Viruses mutate all the time, and the 'best' ones take over. There are a handful that cause concern, the UK, SA and now this Brazilian one being the current focuses. There will certainly be others still to come but it would take something unusual for one to defeat the vaccine.
You have to wonder if all these new variants are being discovered now because everyone is doing a better job of screening for new variants after the UK strain scared the shit out of them?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Italy had 15,774 new cases today, 507 new deaths. We have a new emergency decree being announced in the next day or two, and it looks like take-away food will have to stop at 6pm, rather than 10pm. All bars and restaurants have to close at 6pm at present, even in the lowest-risk regions, but this will tighten things even more.

We still have the curfew from 10pm to 5am, which has been in place for ages now.

Some good news is that it looks like some regions will be designated "white zones", if the Rt number is under 1 and there are fewer than 50 cases per 100,000 people. In white zones, the intention will be to slowly attempt to return to normal.

Everyone has to stay within their own region, unless they have to work or have some other pressing reason to cross to another region (of course, we have a form we have to complete). The state of emergency will stay in place until the end of April, which gives the Government the power to make rapid changes to the rules.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Italy had 15,774 new cases today, 507 new deaths. We have a new emergency decree being announced in the next day or two, and it looks like take-away food will have to stop at 6pm, rather than 10pm. All bars and restaurants have to close at 6pm at present, even in the lowest-risk regions, but this will tighten things even more.

We still have the curfew from 10pm to 5am, which has been in place for ages now.

Some good news is that it looks like some regions will be designated "white zones", if the Rt number is under 1 and there are fewer than 50 cases per 100,000 people. In white zones, the intention will be to slowly attempt to return to normal.

Everyone has to stay within their own region, unless they have to work or have some other pressing reason to cross to another region (of course, we have a form we have to complete). The state of emergency will stay in place until the end of April, which gives the Government the power to make rapid changes to the rules.
France
23,852 new cases
229 new deaths today
but tougher restrictions coming with curfew starting 6m instead 8pm... Bad idea

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

France
23,852 new cases
229 new deaths today
but tougher restrictions coming with curfew starting 6m instead 8pm... Bad idea
Why are they increasing restrictions in Italy/France? Are the numbers not going in the right direction?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Why are they increasing restrictions in Italy/France? Are the numbers not going in the right direction?
For France

2 mars: 2 March
19 mars: 19 March
11 janvier: 11 January

Recenses en 1 semaine: reported in 1 week
Tendance sur deux semaines: trends over 2 weeks

Cas confirmes: confirmed cases
Nouvelles hospitalisations: new hospitalised people
Admissions en reanimation: people - patients admitted to the resuscitation unit,
Deces a l hopital - deaths in hospital (versus deaths of very old people in regulated homes for dependent seniors)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
For France

2 mars: 2 March
19 mars: 19 March
11 janvier: 11 January

Recenses en 1 semaine: reported in 1 week
Tendance sur deux semaines: trends over 2 weeks

Cas confirmes: confirmed cases
Nouvelles hospitalisations: new hospitalised people
Admissions en reanimation: people - patients admitted to the resuscitation unit,
Deces a l hopital - deaths in hospital (versus deaths of very old people in regulated homes for dependent seniors)
Thanks. Looks like you did a great job crushing that second wave but going wrong again now. Did they recently ease off the restrictions that were in place over Christmas?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I'm a bit confused how the R rate has been constantly above 1 for the last few weeks yet new cases show the first signs of falling due (I'm hoping) to the newest lockdown procedures. Surely a rate higher than 1 would signify no reduction in cases whatsoever theoretically?
Maybe less testing?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Officially youngest person who I've managed died today. He was stacked, does crossfit regularly, no medical history whatsoever.
41 years of age. Went to ITU 2 weeks ago and has unfortunately died today.

Got to say, not many deaths hits me this badly. I'm in shock. I remember speaking to his wife over the phone when he was still on Optiflow and saying that he was holding his own on that at present. I come in next day and he's been transferred to ITU.

Fourty-fecking-one. None of his "co-morbidities" shit. This man was healthy and fit.

I told myself that I'd restrain from posting in this thread for a while - hence my increased activity in the football forum, but I just couldn't comprehend with this after coming back home.

Stay safe guys. None of this "It's just a poxy virus" or "I don't have any conditions".

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Officially youngest person who I've managed died today. He was stacked, does crossfit regularly, no medical history whatsoever.

Got to say, not many deaths hits me this badly. I'm in shock. I remember speaking to his wife over the phone when he was still on Optiflow and saying that he was holding his own on that at present. I come in next day and he's been transferred to ITU.

Fourty-fecking-one. None of his "co-morbidities" shit. This man was healthy and fit.

I told myself that I'd restrain from posting in this thread for a while - hence my increased activity in the football forum, but I just couldn't comprehend with this after coming back home.

Stay safe guys. None of this "It's just a poxy virus" or "I don't have any conditions".
Thanks for this stark reminder and really sorry to hear that. Thank you for what you’re doing!

They're not really increasing them, they're just not relaxing what was in place over Christmas. Numbers are fairly precarious at the moment and could go in either direction. Hospital and ICU occupancy is right on the edge of the 30% alert level and the R number is over 1 in some places.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Deaths close to your own age are always hard. Hope you find time for a de-brief with a mentor. Or even a friend. This one will stay with you. The sooner you start to talk it through the better. Take care of yourself.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They're not really increasing them, they're just not relaxing what was in place over Christmas. Numbers are fairly precarious at the moment and could go in either direction. Hospital and ICU occupancy is right on the edge of the 30% alert level and the R number is over 1 in some places.
Are you seeing a similar uptick to those French graphs, despite no relaxation of measures? That fecking sucks. Would make you wonder about how widespread UK variant might be?

fergosaurus

I have a test booked in tonight because I've got a few symptoms (cough, taste).

Kinda feels just like a cold really but I made the mistake of telling my mum on the phone and she's forced me to get tested.

I was surprised how easy it was to book a test and also how many open slots there were. I could literally have picked any time between now and 7pm.

If I do have it, its from Tesco at the weekend as I've not left the flat other than a daily walk outside (on my own).
Thankfully your Mum has sense and forced you to go against your "feeling" and get tested as you have covid symptoms. Good luck.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Thankfully your Mum has sense and forced you to go against your "feeling" and get tested as you have covid symptoms. Good luck.
The whole testing process took less than 10 mins. Had to sanitise my hands at least 5 times in 5 minutes, they're (rightfully) really taking is super seriously.

Sticking the thing up my nose was no issue.

fergosaurus

The whole testing process took less than 10 mins. Had to sanitise my hands at least 5 times in 5 minutes, they're (rightfully) really taking is super seriously.

Sticking the thing up my nose was no issue.
That's good to hear. Hopefully it comes back negative.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

It might be relatively rare but not rare enough for the complacency many seem to be infected with.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
That's good to hear. Hopefully it comes back negative.
I've had a google to see if you can get it twice and the results were very vague (there's a National Geographic article from last month which says there are 100s of cases of reinfection, considering there have been millions of people infected, that's crazily low).

For that reason there's a small part of me that hopes my test is positive. I barely have any symptoms (bit of a cough, dulled tastebuds).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Still quite creepy going back to page one of this thread. We had no idea what we were heading towards.
Eye opening, isn't it?

I remember reading something about some virus in some Chinese city somewhere in some news outlet. You get the vibe. Thought nothing of it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Did last summer do something in terms of slowing this down? Was the heat helpful at all?

Are you seeing a similar uptick to those French graphs, despite no relaxation of measures? That fecking sucks. Would make you wonder about how widespread UK variant might be?
The government says there has been an expansion over the last few days, but it's not done too much to the numbers yet.

Tibs

Eye opening, isn't it?

I remember reading something about some virus in some Chinese city somewhere in some news outlet. You get the vibe. Thought nothing of it.
I remember (late Feb/early March) one of the Senior managers at work say I'm telling everyone that this is a dangerous virus, and to take care, and that I was wrong.

Its just like the flu.

worldgonemad

Really feel for you. Reading stuff like that is shocking, so no wonder it does affect you. If it didn't, you wouldn't be human.
Take time out when you can, vent if needed, and keep your chin up. The majority of people out there know the good work you guys to and appreciate it.