SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Fluctuation0161

This habit from some of saying they are on the 'frontline' in the job they do is fecking annoying and dramatic. Teachers, postal workers and essential retail are all doing a great job but less of the battlefield dross.

The staff working 14+ hour days in covid riddled hospitals are the frontline so to speak.
Teachers, teaching children of key workers e.g. nurses/doctors, amongst others, in classrooms containg groups of children, with minimal social distancing, without wearing masks are most certainly frontline. No matter how you try to define it.

TheReligion

Abusive
Teachers, teaching children of key workers e.g. nurses/doctors, amongst others, in classrooms containg groups of children, with minimal social distancing, without wearing masks are most certainly frontline. No matter how you try to define it.
Nah they ain't. Sorry. You make the kids sound like monsters or something. They are doing a great job sure but so are lots of people at the moment.

As I say frontline are those working in intensive care and in overcrowded hospitals across the country.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Serieus question. Why was it such a terrible thing to call COVID the China virus but is it fine to call this strain the British mutant?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Serieus question. Why was it such a terrible thing to call COVID the China virus but is it fine to call this strain the British mutant?
Because The China Virus was a deliberate attempt by Trump to blame China for the pandemic rather than acting to control it. Calling the new variants by their country of origin doesn't carry the same negative connotations so is less commented on.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I agree. There is a big push here for those in education to be next cab off the rank after border/quarantine staff, health workers and the elderly.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Because The China Virus was a deliberate attempt by Trump to blame China for the pandemic rather than acting to control it. Calling the new variants by their country of origin doesn't carry the same negative connotations so is less commented on.
But weren’t China to blame though with the Wet Markets? I do understand the difference you pointed out now, thanks.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So I've recovered from Covid. Still having lingering symptoms of headaches and being really easily winded (feeling as if I were running at altitude instead of sea level).

I find out this morning that my mom and dad have both tested positive and are having more serious symptoms than what I experienced. Then 15 minutes later, my wife tells me that between 7am and 10am in her ICU, they'd had 4 patients die, coded another, and had put 5 more on ventilators.

Just... wtf man
Kinell. I won't be asking you to pick lottery numbers this week mate ;)

Glad you are feeling better and fingers crossed for your folks.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
But weren’t China to blame though with the Wet Markets?
Not really. It seems highly likely that the Wuhan wet market was where humans passed the virus to each other. It now seems unlikely that is where the virus jumped species.

Even assuming the virus did jump species in China it makes no sense to blame China when it is all of our actions that is destroying habitat and hugely increasing the chances of zoological transmission. Britain's clueless and incompetent response to the pandemic is responsible for the new variant as the more you allow the virus to spread the greater the chance of a deleterious mutation. So perhaps the British mutation is more deserved?

I blame Bojo for many things but blaming him directly for the new variant is a bit pointless so in general I'd be happy if we just name things without reference to place.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Not really. It seems highly likely that the Wuhan wet market was where humans passed the virus to each other. It now seems unlikely that is where the virus jumped species.

Even assuming the virus did jump species in China it makes no sense to blame China when it is all of our actions that is destroying habitat and hugely increasing the chances of zoological transmission. Britain's clueless and incompetent response to the pandemic is responsible for the new variant as the more you allow the virus to spread the greater the chance of a deleterious mutation. So perhaps the British mutation is more deserved?

I blame Bojo for many things but blaming him directly for the new variant is a bit pointless so in general I'd be happy if we just name things without reference to place.
Allright then. Didn’t know that. Thanks.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hammering home my centrist dad status by linking to an article by a Tory MP but this is worth a read. It’s interesting from a free speech perspective. We’re all ok with people being kicked off platforms for hate speech but what about deliberately spreading lies that directly cause deaths in far bigger numbers than hate crimes? Why were these twats never denied access to their audience? Why was it never even discussed as a possibility?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

Fluctuation0161

Nah they ain't. Sorry. You make the kids sound like monsters or something. They are doing a great job sure but so are lots of people at the moment.

As I say frontline are those working in intensive care and in overcrowded hospitals across the country.
The kids are in households with the same health care workers you accept are frontline. Do you need to recap on how the virus spreads?

The kids are in a household bubble with the frontline staff who are with covid patients on a regular basis. Then the high risk kids and teachers mix in a petri dish classroom.

Worryingly, even after 10 months into the pandemic, the government is not compiling data on risk levels for teachers. They are simply chucking them back in the petri dish with no proper risk assessment or national stats on teacher risk. You can be sure this is a political decision and not a scientific one.

Fluctuation0161

I agree. There is a big push here for those in education to be next cab off the rank after border/quarantine staff, health workers and the elderly.
I know of schools where covid has ripped through various classes. At times up to 60% of the school have had to be in self isolation.

The UK media coverage on this has been typically poor.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Abizzz

Hammering home my centrist dad status by linking to an article by a Tory MP but this is worth a read. It’s interesting from a free speech perspective. We’re all ok with people being kicked off platforms for hate speech but what about deliberately spreading lies that directly cause deaths in far bigger numbers than hate crimes? Why were these twats never denied access to their audience? Why was it never even discussed as a possibility?
Funnily enough he leaves out that former journalist who insisted on shaking hands early on :lol:

However there's a huge difference between being ignorant and wrong about something and inciting violence. Even if the former leads to worse consequences. We can't really have any discussion if we don't allow people to say wrong things.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Smores

Funnily enough he leaves out that former journalist who insisted on shaking hands early on :lol:

However there's a huge difference between being ignorant and wrong about something and inciting violence. Even if the former leads to worse consequences. We can't really have any discussion if we don't allow people to say wrong things.
It's not about being wrong, it's willfully spreading disinformation or a public health message they've got no expertise in. We all know Toby Youngs aim and it's not genuine debate. Papers shouldn't allow opinion pieces from non-experts on something so dangerous.

The MP in that article regularly flags Toby Young's tweets but no surprise Toby has him blocked and doesn't respond. Toby 'free speech/no censorship' Young has also recently gone back and deleted all the tweets he was horribly wrong on.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I haven’t changed my mind since day one. In my opinion, this was accidentally released from one of the Wuhan labs. Too much of a coincidence.
It does seem a little suspicious that the new super-spreading bat-derived coronavirus shows up in the backyard of the only Chinese lab doing gain-of-function experiments on bat coronaviruses, I'll give you that.

I suspect we'll never be sure of the origins one way or the other. I guess at this point it doesn't really matter anyway, other than lessons about how to prevent future outbreaks.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It does seem a little suspicious that the new super-spreading bat-derived coronavirus shows up in the backyard of the only Chinese lab doing gain-of-function experiments on bat coronaviruses, I'll give you that.

I suspect we'll never be sure of the origins one way or the other. I guess at this point it doesn't really matter anyway, other than lessons about how to prevent future outbreaks.
Yeah, it’s kind of a moot point. Particularly interesting to read how US funding is so wrapped up in a possible man-made cause for the “China virus”

Abizzz

It's not about being wrong, it's willfully spreading disinformation or a public health message they've got no expertise in. We all know Toby Youngs aim and it's not genuine debate. Papers shouldn't allow opinion pieces from non-experts on something so dangerous.

The MP in that article regularly flags Toby Young's tweets but no surprise Toby has him blocked and doesn't respond. Toby 'free speech/no censorship' Young has also recently gone back and deleted all the tweets he was horribly wrong on.
I don't want to defend this Toby Young person, I know nothing about him. But the bold part is true for pretty much every western government during this disease. From a UK PM talking about handshakes, to a German chancellor talking about masks, and lets not even mention the US, they all took part in spreading wrong information about something they knew feck all about. (Infuriatingly even after people in this thread knew. And we knew because of the WHO reports early on, it really shouldn't have been beyond governments to come to grips with it)

Journalists doing so for commercial reasons aren't really any worse than politicians doing it for political ones, so I won't take their pawns seriously when they come complaining about it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

The other theory is that sometimes the security guards make a little cash on the side by selling off animals to the wet markets. So if they did that with a few bats, it could very well have originated from the lab and spread via the wet markets

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The other theory is that sometimes the security guards make a little cash on the side by selling off animals to the wet markets. So if they did that with a few bats, it could very well have originated from the lab and spread via the wet markets
That sounds extremely unlikely. Security guards won’t have access to any animals innoculated with novel viruses. As per the article above, there doesn’t need to be anything sneaky or underhand for these lab viruses to get out. Just need one scientist to make a mistake with their PPE, or not notice a bite/scratch from one of their animals. Once they leave the lab they become patient zero. Then they can pop into the wet markets to pick up some dinner and the rest is history.

Tony Babangida

Wish tennis players would stop complaining about hotel quarantine in Melbourne. There’s Victorians in NSW that can’t get home and Australians overseas that have been stuck for months. Not sure the tournament should have gone ahead, not like tennis has the best track record with covid cases. Comes across as pretty out of touch moaning about not being able to train when you apparently get $100k for losing in the first round.

acnumber9

It would probably be easier to swallow from somebody who wasn’t part of a party who were happy to claim face masks didn’t help whenever there were shortages, claimed schools were perfectly safe a day before shutting them, or told the nation it was their duty to go to the pub.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
My fear has turned into anger. Everytime I think of this poxy virus and how it stopped the world in its tracks for a year, and still no end in sight, is extremely frustrating. Then reading these potential origin stories just compounds my anger. One thing we know is a fact, if the CCP and that Winnie the Pooh looking cnut didnt try to cover up the virus in the beginning we probably wouldn't be dealing with a pandemic.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It would probably be easier to swallow from somebody who wasn’t part of a party who were happy to claim face masks didn’t help whenever there were shortages, claimed schools were perfectly safe a day before shutting them, or told the nation it was their duty to go to the pub.
Or insisted on shaking hands with every person in the hospital and then got Co-vid.

Tibs

Should the Chinese Govt admit to it, if they know it was their fault - even if it was an accident?

redshaw

"But I keep returning to the basic, puzzling fact: This patchwork pathogen, which allegedly has evolved without human meddling, first came to notice in the only city in the world with a laboratory that was paid for years by the U.S. government to perform experiments on certain obscure and heretofore unpublicized strains of bat viruses — which bat viruses then turned out to be, out of all the organisms on the planet, the ones that are most closely related to the disease. What are the odds? "

Seems very possible and traceable it was taken from the mineshaft to labs, rewired and got out in Wuhan. Like is said in the article this virus is ready to rock out the gate.

It's important to find out how and where, it's not trying to blame anyone in China and if anything this is tied to US scientists training and funding others to find obscure threats while creating one themselves. Humans are so accident prone and it can become an unhealthy obsession. The people indirectly responsible will just think we have to be more careful.

Wolverine

My fear has turned into anger. Everytime I think of this poxy virus and how it stopped the world in its tracks for a year, and still no end in sight, is extremely frustrating. Then reading these potential origin stories just compounds my anger. One thing we know is a fact, if the CCP and that Winnie the Pooh looking cnut didnt try to cover up the virus in the beginning we probably wouldn't be dealing with a pandemic.
Same. The worse part is that their government will not face any significant consequences either in terms of sanctions or trade.

nickm

To be fair to that MP, Tory or not, he’s been consistently on the right side of this, and has consistently been calling out the “sceptics” for the dangerous bullshitters they are. So I’d give hIm a break on this - he’s right.