SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Fecking thing is a nightmare. Full lockdown here for three weeks now and the initial decline is flattening out with a caseload that is still way too high. Where do we go from here?!
Vaccinate like crazy and hope spring arriving makes a difference? What does full lock-down look like? Are there further restrictions that will help?

finneh

Is there an estimate for how many people in the UK have had Covid? Not the official case number as mass testing started half way through.
A virologist on the radio yesterday said "it's likely that 30% or more have been exposed to the virus".

Unsure what that was based on but the 8-9% figure I believe doesn't account for those whose antibodies have waned (is my understanding).

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Just got back from taking the old lady next door for her vaccine. What an emotional experience.

We went to the Derby Velodrome and there were hundreds of elderly people, some, like my neighbour were in wheelchairs, some with frames, and others just standing and queueing patiently.

The army of volunteers, helpers and NHS workers were so brilliant and i found the whole massive operation so humbling that I was feeling genuinely emotional. It was the most people I’ve been around for nearly a year and I couldn’t help but feel that all of their lives were facing similar challenges as the lady next door.

Whatever shambles our government has been and however many idiots there are out there, I couldn’t help but marvel at the size of this operation and feel like I was amongst the good people, the patient and the helpful. Really got to me and a lady pushing another wheelchair next to me was trying to talk to me and could see my lip wobbling.

It all restored my faith a little.
My neighbour is very poorly today. Phoned to check at lunchtime and she’d gone to bed with flu like symptoms.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The new requirements for a negative Covid test before entering the UK are all well and good, but the authorities only accept results written in English, French or Spanish, and they won't accept an original-language result together with a translation.

So ... how do we get a test in Italy? Medical people write test results in the language of the country where the test has been done! Of course, the complicated Italian word "negativo" is obviously too difficult to understand ...

NinjaFletch

The new requirements for a negative Covid test before entering the UK are all well and good, but the authorities only accept results written in English, French or Spanish, and they won't accept an original-language result together with a translation.

So ... how do we get a test in Italy? Medical people write test results in the language of the country where the test has been done! Of course, the complicated Italian word "negativo" is obviously too difficult to understand ...
That's so typically English you have to laugh.

What a bizarre country we are.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

It's easy to change an 'o' to an 'e'

redshaw

1290 deaths, 37892 cases and 3709 patients admitted.

Bit of reduction in patients by about 300

Tibs

Priti Patel giving Press Conference

Says from next week, anyone attending a house party - fifteen people or more, they will be hit with an £800 fine

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Says from next week, anyone attending a house party - fifteen people or more, they will be hit with an £800 fine
Fifteen people?! That gives out such a mixed message.

Virgil

Sorry for being unsympathetic but I would support going a lot further and insist on 14 days quarantine except for certain exemptions as per the Australian system. Posters on this board seem to want it both ways. Hammer officials for not being tough enough in respect of border controls then hammer them again for being too authoritarian.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Brilliant, that means you can still have a big group of mates over to your house as long as you don’t go over 15

stepic

Hopefully we reached peak deaths yesterday and it’s a slow downward curve from here on in.

MoskvaRed

That's so typically English you have to laugh.

What a bizarre country we are.
To be fair, in most countries the options are the national language(s) or English. Apart from Switzerland, I doubt there are many countries where you can turn up with a certificate in Italian.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fifteen people?! That gives out such a mixed message.
Can only imagine they have picked a size that couldn't possibly be one family.
Just so they don't stumble into some political sh!tstorm of accusations about "targeting" any multi generational families.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just got back from taking the old lady next door for her vaccine. What an emotional experience.

We went to the Derby Velodrome and there were hundreds of elderly people, some, like my neighbour were in wheelchairs, some with frames, and others just standing and queueing patiently.

The army of volunteers, helpers and NHS workers were so brilliant and i found the whole massive operation so humbling that I was feeling genuinely emotional. It was the most people I’ve been around for nearly a year and I couldn’t help but feel that all of their lives were facing similar challenges as the lady next door.

Whatever shambles our government has been and however many idiots there are out there, I couldn’t help but marvel at the size of this operation and feel like I was amongst the good people, the patient and the helpful. Really got to me and a lady pushing another wheelchair next to me was trying to talk to me and could see my lip wobbling.

It all restored my faith a little.
Top man.
I hope all elderly people have someone helping them out like you.

C'est Moi Cantona

Some people with certain habits might try snd get COVID just to get £500
I was going to say the exact same thing, to some that is a risk worth taking for £500, but if it massively increases the people willing to get a test, then I guess it's worth the risk of the minority seeing it as an opportunity for a bit of free money.

PoTMS

Perfect, I'll keep my illegal house parties to fourteen.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I’ve been banging back vitamin D and bought a Pulse Oximeter in February - it’s amazing how behind the NHS are on this!
The medical community in the UK (and mostly GPs) have been badly exposed for their work shyness and lack of any process. Some of my Porsche driving GP footy friends were turning away their long covid suffering patients as hypochondriacs. This was in August. Not one of them could care less about any inclination to put some hours studying or recording what their patients were telling them and reporting back up to the GMC. Not one.

Like I said, there was no process and still isn't. And even if there was their jobsworthness shone through like a beacon.

Wolverine

The medical community in the UK (and mostly GPs) have been badly exposed for their work shyness and lack of any process. Some of my Porsche driving GP footy friends were turning away their long covid suffering patients as hypochondriacs. This was in August. Not one of them could care less about any inclination to put some hours studying or recording what their patients were telling them and reporting back up to the GMC. Not one.

Like I said, there was no process and still isn't. And even if there was their jobsworthness shone through like a beacon.
The addition of loss of smell and taste symptoms as core covid symptoms was done in large part as a result of GP's listening to patients way before NHS recognised them as reasons for getting tested - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/29/gps-acknowledging-taste-smell-loss-symptom-coronavirus/

Long covid clinics are also GP-staffed: https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/c...0-gp-staffed-long-covid-clinics-within-weeks/
That's in addition to the round the clock vaccination service GPs are doing including at weekends + manning face-to-face covid "hot hub" clinics

We don't report back up to GMC because that isn't what the GMC is for. I'd literally spent ages studying long covid literature. What you said would piss me off if I wasn't sure that you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about.

Balljy

That's not my personal experience at all. I got a temperature back in May and what is now know as covid toes and no other symptoms. I had one night where breathing was difficult, but not too bad. I had no other symptoms and although I didn't know it was covid at the time I knew it could be so self isolated and it was over pretty quickly.

About 3 weeks after that I got some worrying symptoms involving my lungs / throat which caused me to go to the GP. This was at a time where there was a mass of cases and we were being instructed not to go unless urgent so I didn't know what to expect. I was referred for multiple scans and I still go back once a month for check ups.

Considering they had no idea about what was going on at the time, I didn't exactly have regular symptoms added to the fact they were ultra-busy (and still are) the way I have been treated is fantastic. They are now sure that it is long covid and thankfully I'm almost fully recovered. Hopefully my next visit will be the last one and that's partly down to the GP's who kept on top of it and referred me constantly when they could quite easily have just disregarded me as non-urgent.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Northern Ireland lockdown also extended to the 5th March

I just want a proper night out sometime.... soon :(
A good while yet. Seems a few in Sage are asking for hospitality not to open until May at earliest. Think the compromise will be early April.

Way this govenrment rolls announcing some easing of rules on March 23rd will be decent optics for them as will be a year since first lockdown started on that day.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
My Mum who I live with now during this is having her first vaccine tomorrow she's 82 and in decent health.

I've hardly left the house since March I couldn't bear passing it on by taking any risk.

I am so relieved am nearly in tears. I know we have more time to go yet but at least this is something.